Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Feb 6, 2007, 04:40 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Default The Official Widescreen Gaming Thread

It's the future.

Widescreen monitors are becoming standard on all gaming systems.

Dev's need to know, we will not stand for unsupported games using widescreen rez's!!!

Post your widescreen games you play along with your native rez, cpu, gpu and ram (if not already in your sig). Give these 4:3 users reason they too can enjoy widescreen gaming!

Right now, I'm enjoying EQ2 and CoH
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 07:13 PM   #2
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Youd be better off reading the WidescreenGamingForum Forum. THE place for all widescreen gaming hacks and fixes.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 07:22 PM   #3
Sh26
Rage3D Veteran

Sh26 is still being judged by the masses

"standard?"

I still use my old crt monitor

(Poor driver support/Poor service) 8-10months before new driver releases
Sh26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 6, 2007, 09:07 PM   #4
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Dell 24" 2405FPW, native resolution of 1920x1200. IMHO it is one of the best things I have ever purchased. The game I'm currently enjoying most in all its widescreen goodness is "Call of Duty 2", which has some of the best widescreen support I have seen yet.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit

Last edited by Trunks0 : Feb 6, 2007 at 09:12 PM.
Trunks0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 09:38 PM   #5
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

^
Jealous. What kind of frames you getting with that 1900+ rez? do you use AA and AF?
Old Feb 6, 2007, 10:30 PM   #6
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhjr77 View Post
^
Jealous. What kind of frames you getting with that 1900+ rez? do you use AA and AF?
I use AF in varying degree's depending on the game, but AA is generally out of the question unless it is an older game or I dip below the native resolution. And the frame rates are not amazing as I do not have a very powerful rig . That said however the monitor is awesome for watching movie's on and perfect for multi-tasking with multiple windows. Which as luck would have it, is some thing I find my self doing more of than gaming these days so it works out quite well

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit

Last edited by Trunks0 : Feb 6, 2007 at 10:34 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 10:36 PM   #7
kkevin666
Radeon R520

kkevin666 is still being judged by the masses

Sorry but until huge game publishers like EA etc start insisting games have widescreen support no amount of posting will help.

They simply will not cater to widescreen gamers when the ADD multitude of gamers dont even know what widescreen is.
Fact of life im afraid.

Sorry bad day.
kkevin666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:08 PM   #8
Supra_Freak
I did this to your momma!

Supra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled with

Im running on a Samsung 19" SyncMaster 940BW with HDCP at 1440x900 native Rez on an 8800GTX with 1gb of Ram and a 3200+ Venice at 2.8GHz!

Il never go back to 4:3 again, widescreen ftw!!!

Supra_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:13 PM   #9
icecold1983
Radeon Arctic Islands

icecold1983 is still being judged by the masses

do u just stretch the movies? or do u have an hd dvd/blueray
icecold1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:33 PM   #10
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkevin666 View Post
Sorry but until huge game publishers like EA etc start insisting games have widescreen support no amount of posting will help.

They simply will not cater to widescreen gamers when the ADD multitude of gamers dont even know what widescreen is.
Fact of life im afraid.

Sorry bad day.
Its one of the requirement of the "Games for Windows" certification from Microsoft, so if they want the cert they will.

System:

Last edited by Trunks0 : Feb 6, 2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 08:10 AM   #11
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

What the hell are you doing buying EA games anyway?

(Though I will be picking up Crysis - hope EA don't milk it too bad). I'm certain Crysis will have widescreen rez.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 08:17 AM   #12
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I play pretty much every everything at widescreen since I got my gateway FPD2485W.

1920x1200 all the way!

For example:
World of Warcraft/The Burning Crusade
Medieval 2: Total War
Rome: Total War
HL2/HL/CS:S/DoD:S/Sourcemods
Red Orchestra
Quake4
Doom 3
FEAR
BF2142
BF2

and many more.

Most games seem pretty adaptive to widescreen

This monitor has made my anime viewing much more enjoyable! It's glorious and I still cant get over how badass this beast is.

I usually get away with 2x AA and 8x af, sometimes more AA depending on game, framerates usually are pretty strong suprisingly for the resolution and meager capabilities of my system.
Spring the trap. Spring it all over her face.

Last edited by _TiTaNiuM : Feb 7, 2007 at 08:21 AM.
_TiTaNiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 09:48 AM   #13
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

DeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

Westinghouse LTV-32W6 32" LCD HDTV
1360x768 with VGA input

I have and play quite a few widescreen games. I also have workarounds/hacks for a few games that have no 'official' support for widescreen resolutions.
Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz | Corsair H50 | ASRock P67 Pro3 | 4 x 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3 1866 (9-10-9-28) | MSI GTX 1070Ti GAMING 8G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 7 Pro | 1920x1080 w/ 48" LCD TV
HT: Vizio E48-C2 48" LED Backlit LCD TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead
DeathKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 03:06 PM   #14
Anteuz
Finger on the red button

Anteuz is still being judged by the masses

Yes, widescreen gaming for the win!
I 'only' have HP w19 lcd monitor and samsung hdtv, once you go wide there's no going back. I'm currently playing Nwn2, waiting for Supreme Commander.
Old May 18, 2007, 10:04 PM   #15
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 once held a door open for a complete strangerCrawdaddy79 once held a door open for a complete strangerCrawdaddy79 once held a door open for a complete strangerCrawdaddy79 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Hope I don't get another infraction for bumping this.

All this time I thought widescreen gaming was a gimmick. "Why would you prefer to have your aspect stretched?" I asked myself many times any time someone talked about widescreen gaming.

Well, now that I've had a widescreen for about a month now, I love it.

Aspect ratios in games that support it - surprisingly do not stretch. Instead you simply have more viewing room. I was watching some of the old videos I recorded with FRAPS with Trackmania United and it seriously just looks like the edges of the game are cut off. Very boring.

In any case, if you do not have a widescreen I strongly encourage you to get one.

Now I know why people were bitching so badly about Battlefield 2 not supporting it. Stretched objects suck.
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 10:07 PM   #16
The Pig
Banned

The Pig is still being judged by the masses

It's like a whole new world. I'll never go back to 4:3 or CRTs again.
The Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 10:35 PM   #17
TheOwly1
Radeon Sea Islands

TheOwly1 is still being judged by the masses

I enjoy it...but you sure can get kicked in the teeth by old games if your monitor stretches everything to fit. Playing Planescape Torment at the moment and its nasty having to put up with everything streched.

AL1916W 1440x900 8800GTX 2GB RAM
You see a signature. It is a picture of an astonishing island landscape. A picture of the best cat you have ever seen is in the bottom left corner, as well as a detailed list of system specs. The font is large and bold.
TheOwly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 10:52 PM   #18
chew
no

chew is still being judged by the masses

Love my 2005fpw.

You guys cal your rigs crap? I play most of my games at 1280x800 stock and still get under 30fps.
chew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 11:37 PM   #19
Taman Linkin
Rage3D Veteran

Taman Linkin is still being judged by the masses

Using Samsung LA32R7 and widescreen is awesome. Nice unfair viewing advantage :P And I have no prob playing 4:3 ratio, just put the TV option at 4:3 render mode.
Old May 19, 2007, 01:09 AM   #20
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOwly1 View Post
I enjoy it...but you sure can get kicked in the teeth by old games if your monitor stretches everything to fit. Playing Planescape Torment at the moment and its nasty having to put up with everything streched.

That's why I love my Samsung LN-T2653H HDTV, built in 4:3 support. I just hit the old aspect button on the remote and no stretching of 4:3 resolutions without having to screw with flaky driver LCD scaling settings.

The game that made me buy a widescreen was Oblivion. Though truth be told I think Half-Life 2 has made me appreciate more than anything. You wouldn't think it, but that game really benefits from widescreen.
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 12:14 AM   #21
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:

you can set it so doesnt stretch in the driver options..
you get a smaller screen but at least it looks good

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 12:35 AM   #22
TheOwly1
Radeon Sea Islands

TheOwly1 is still being judged by the masses

Hmmm. I cant see it anywhere... Using latest NV drivers .
You see a signature. It is a picture of an astonishing island landscape. A picture of the best cat you have ever seen is in the bottom left corner, as well as a detailed list of system specs. The font is large and bold.

Last edited by TheOwly1 : May 21, 2007 at 12:53 AM.
TheOwly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 01:19 AM   #23
ChrisRay
1983 - 2010

ChrisRay is still being judged by the masses

22 inch Widescreen monitor with native 1680x1050 resolution. And a olevia 27 inch Widescreen LCD HDTV. Which supports 1920x1080 interlaced resolution. As well as 720P. Widescreen is where its at

--

|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.2 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 03:24 AM   #24
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
strange....
I will see exactly where it is when I get home

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

- True Blood
Old May 21, 2007, 10:32 AM   #25
aop
Radeon Caribbean Islands

aop once held a door open for a complete strangeraop once held a door open for a complete strangeraop once held a door open for a complete strangeraop once held a door open for a complete stranger

Just got my Samsung 225BW 22" WS monitor today. Widescreen is so much better than standard 4:3 but honestly I like my old CRTs colours much more than I like the colours of this new LCD. I have only played LotRO with my new monitor and it looks a lot better than on 4:3 monitor. Too bad my video card just started crapping on itself (getting a GF8800GTS 640MB this week or at the beginning of next week) and I have to RMA it when I receive my new card.
aop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 01:48 PM   #26
Hell_Razor
h3lln1nj4

Hell_Razor is still being judged by the masses

loving my dell 2407

my rig is not bad, so now, if i can't play a game in widescreen, i don't play it at all.
Old May 21, 2007, 02:00 PM   #27
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I widescreen gaming and I especially my 24in Gateway pwnitor (not just a monitor, but a PWNitor!)
Spring the trap. Spring it all over her face.
_TiTaNiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 05:04 PM   #28
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Dell 22" Widescreen here. 1680x1050 resolution on everything I play. Most games I play support it natively. SupCom and Stalker with the 1.0003 patch mainly right now, both look spectacular in widescreen. Also played a little with Oblivion, FEAR (took some hacking), and C&C3, all looking sweet as hell.

For movie and media viewing, a good widescreen can't be beat. I love mine
Old May 21, 2007, 11:40 PM   #29
badboy
Merc with a mouth

Quote:
its in here

open the nvidia control panel > display > Change Flat Panel Scaling

- True Blood

Last edited by badboy : May 21, 2007 at 11:42 PM.
Old May 22, 2007, 03:54 AM   #30
Jaillum Malord
Simplify Mufugha

Jaillum Malord can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJaillum Malord can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Currently waiting for Lost Planet - Being playing the Demo to death with a vengence - Have an Acer AL2623W 26" monitor with a Native Res of 1920x1200. GFX card (See Sig) handles the resolution like a dream.

Jaillum Malord is offline   Reply With Quote