Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Jun 29, 2022, 02:03 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
xCLAVEx
FYI FTP BGI BOYB

xCLAVEx knows why the caged bird singsxCLAVEx knows why the caged bird singsxCLAVEx knows why the caged bird singsxCLAVEx knows why the caged bird singsxCLAVEx knows why the caged bird sings

Default Use Discord? Might want to keep this in mind (privacy issues)

Quote:
Discord privacy issues
Since 2015 when Discord was founded, a few stories have emerged about privacy that users should be aware of. They probably won't stop you from using Discord to play your favorite games online, but they may encourage you to keep your chats more private.

In late 2017, as Discord's user base reached 100 million, the gaming press was suddenly filled with talk about the platform's security issues.

1. Poor product management
Services that you're using for your gaming communication should adhere to the same quality standards that we apply to other services. Especially considering that you're giving permission for microphone, screen share, and webcam. However, Discord's approach was somewhat clumsy when it came to looking after their own product. Here are a few examples:

● Outages resulting in hours of downtime despite promises for a fix. Since then, there were no comments on what was implemented and what's on hold.

● Several months ago, Discord deleted bug report boards with several years worth of information on issue reports. Some of the reported issues still persist to this day but now have no public record of being published.

● Refusing user requests to fix the UI, then banning users that customize their UI with addons because it's against their terms of service

This is just the tip of the iceberg. It's impossible to download Discord's source code, so it's not clear how deep this rabbit hole goes when it comes to the actual software. However, there are many, many exploits.

2. Could it be that Discord is a piece of spyware?
Some of Discord’s privacy concerns relate to the way they collect and use data. According to the Spyware Watchdog, the threat level, in this case, is “extremely high” because everything users say or write passes through company servers.

The main way Discord is collecting information is through /api/track and /api/science. Both application programming interfaces are identical and accept the same input. If you're using a browser with tools like uBlock Origin, /api/track will be blocked, however /api/science will bypass it with ease.

Most importantly, the client sends data through these routes without regard for whether the user has given permission or not. Privacy & Safety policy explicitly states that you can agree with the use of your collected data and not whether it's being collected.

Discord's response is that they collect data in case the User will allow usage down the line. Well, they already have your data, and it's sitting on their servers. Are they being privacy-conscious enough to wait for your permission to use it? Extremely unlikely.

3. Trustworthiness of the service
There are numerous reports of Discord going so far as to ban users for joking about being underage. This happens because being under 13 violates Discord terms of service, so getting a ban on Discord lifted will require you to provide an image of your passport with your username written on a piece of paper. Seems rather extreme, but okay - they hold their own staff to the same high standards, presumably… right?

In fact, not at all. There were numerous reports of administrative abuse coming from Discord employees. For example, there are reports of staff snatching vanity URLs for their own channels, skipping official procedures for doing so. This doesn't paint Discord as a trustworthy organization in the slightest.

4. Legal precedent
In 2018, law enforcement wanted to use evidence from Discord chat rooms against one of the organizers of the "Unite the Right" protests in Charlottesville, 2017, which left a protester dead.

It turned out that neo-Nazis had been using Discord as an organizing hub for their activities. Discord representatives denied knowing anything about that. Afterward, a legal tug of war ensued to determine if anonymous Discord users could be identified.

In August 2018, a judge ruled that the identification of users and their discussions was admissible, potentially compromising future private chats – regardless of whether far-right figures are involved.

5. Things for ROBLOX players to worry about
Some security experts noted that the Discord API could be used to create apps that harvest data of ROBLOX players (a popular title on Discord at the time). By inserting so-called webhooks, cybercriminals could "fish" out ROBLOX sign-in codes and use them to extract in-game currency.

While specifically tied to ROBLOX, such a method could be used for wider malware attacks across other Discord servers – raising the potential for more severe security scandals.

6. Malware hosting and distribution service
Discord's safety could be described as rebranded LimeWire: it won't infect your device on its own, but it will provide grounds for malware to spread if you're not careful what you click on. Remote Access Trojan (RAT) is the most common type of malware distributed via malicious links. When you open a link, RATs are injected into your device, giving hackers administrative rights to your device. This is horrendous for your privacy. The most recent of them is AnarchyGrabber3, still an active exploit.

Discord also has pretty loose regulation of files distributed within their ecosystem. It's possible to upload a file to some Discord server, and even non-registered users will be able to download it. Even if the hacker decided to delete their account, the data will remain in their servers and will be downloadable.

Users may also upload a file to Discord and then use its link to share it externally. Even users with no Discord account can download it. Moreover, even if someone deletes the file from Discord or removed their account, the platform still stores it in its content delivery network. So no one can trace the original uploader of the file with just a Discord download URL.

7. Discord permissions
When we talk about Discord permissions, we are talking about two different things: app permissions and role permissions within the servers or specific channels. What is common between them is that both could be potentially dangerous for your privacy.

Regarding app permissions, we already discussed how turning off Data Collection prevents your data from being used rather than collected. In other parts, the app itself integrates systemwide push-to-talk to work. The catch is, it will require to receive keystrokes from any application, not just Discord. Considering the sorry state Discord privacy is in, this should never be allowed if you value your privacy.

The situation isn't any better when we're talking about specific channel permissions. Users can overwrite moderator or admin hierarchy and change nicknames or Gamertags. If you have a role that allows managing permissions, you won't be able to give permissions to yourself, but you'll be able to provide @everyone permissions, effectively giving yourself permissions, and the list goes on.

If you must use Discord, use it with caution. Keep in mind that you'll be giving away a lot of your private data and drawing a target on your back for all willing hackers. Whether that's worth the price is for you to decide.

https://cybernews.com/privacy/discor...ou-should-use/
Hmm.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

"A man moaning in a pr0n sounds like a cow with a kidney stone."

"It's often not your fault if you have problems, but it is your responsibility to do something about them".
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2022, 02:37 PM   #2
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

This is a big "who cares" and "duh" .. of course an application using VOIP is going to have everything you say or write pass through their servers.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2022, 02:44 PM   #3
xCLAVEx
FYI FTP BGI BOYB

xCLAVEx knows why the caged bird singsxCLAVEx knows why the caged bird singsxCLAVEx knows why the caged bird singsxCLAVEx knows why the caged bird singsxCLAVEx knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
This is a big "who cares" and "duh" .. of course an application using VOIP is going to have everything you say or write pass through their servers.
It's a bit more than "just passing through their servers". For example; nothing on discord is encrypted. So a single data breach and bam, everything you ever posted their (pics, words, etc) is now the property of whoever. I rarely do anything other than talk random crap on discord, but I'm sure some people post tons of personal photos and documents. They be risky maing.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

"A man moaning in a pr0n sounds like a cow with a kidney stone."

"It's often not your fault if you have problems, but it is your responsibility to do something about them".
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 29, 2022, 03:43 PM   #4
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
It's a bit more than "just passing through their servers". For example; nothing on discord is encrypted. So a single data breach and bam, everything you ever posted their (pics, words, etc) is now the property of whoever. I rarely do anything other than talk random crap on discord, but I'm sure some people post tons of personal photos and documents. They be risky maing.
I don't know why you'd be posting personal photos and documents to Discord, though. I guess people use it as more than just a gaming social app these days.. I dunno.

****in' millennials, get off my lawn.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2022, 04:02 PM   #5
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
****in' millennials, get off my lawn.
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2022, 04:19 PM   #6
Android1
Super Moderator

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

On Windows, can you keep Discord from receiving keystrokes from any application? The link in the article only discusses how to disable that on macOS.
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2022, 07:30 PM   #7
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I plan my terrorists attacks via discord and haven't had more than 4 visits from the police force.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2022, 07:54 PM   #8
Android1
Super Moderator

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr View Post
I plan my terrorists attacks via discord and haven't had more than 4 visits from the police force.
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2022, 08:03 PM   #9
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android1 View Post
+1

I need more time to get into Discord lol
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2022, 09:13 PM   #10
eNforcer
Radeon Southern Islands

eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

meh, i'm used to it, i shouldn't be, but i am. I have a lot Google products and services
eNforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2022, 05:19 PM   #11
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

I by default assumed it wasn't a private. Sooo all of this isn't surprising to me at all.

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2022, 08:40 AM   #12
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Clownies

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

https://discord.gg/JXDfQMaS

Ahem, speaking of which.

Old Jul 1, 2022, 09:00 AM   #13
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post

Ahem, speaking of which.

Yes, we all float down here.....
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2022, 09:47 AM   #14
Seyiji
Team 🌙 Moon

Seyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Get in the car losers :3

-"---"-
Rage3D PC Gaming Hit-List
Official PC Gaming Deals Thread
Has the above thread been misplaced/renamed/merged/stickied/locked? Well then there's a doins transpirin! Find the tome and bring forth the sacrifice to restore peace and order.
"VIAGRA FALLS, slowly I turned, and step by step, inch by inch, I walked up to him, I smashed him, I hit him, I bonked him, I bopped him, I socked him and I mashed his face and I knocked him down."
Seyiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2022, 11:53 AM   #15
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post

Ahem, speaking of which.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Yes, we all float down here.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seyiji View Post
Get in the car losers :3
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote