Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:58 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Default can you spot a pentile display with your naked eye? I can't

After just reading a review that devoted a full six paragraphs to berating the One S for it's pentile display I stared as hard as I could at my Nexus S looking for the fringes and other artifacts the review describes.

I concluded that there is no way I can see what they are talking about. Can you?

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/2/291...c-one-s-review
Quote:
Most icons on the One S exhibit a fine sliver of green subpixels on their left edge and a similarly slender string of red subpixels on the right. Admittedly, you’ll have to look closely to spot these inaccuracies, but once you do, they’ll be impossible to unsee. It’s the same thing as noticing you can hear a weather presenter’s intakes of breath — once you’re aware of it, the only thing you’ll be paying attention to is his next breath, not what he has to say.
I also concluded that the writer has a strange fixation with the breath of his whether man.

edit: forgot to add pool Oh well.

Last edited by aviphysics : Apr 10, 2012 at 03:02 PM.
aviphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:01 PM   #2
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I can when it's not 720p like the Galaxy Nexus, although the Nexus does have the indicators of pentile when you move from looking straight on, ie the green tint.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:04 PM   #3
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

I think I can just barely make out the red pixels of the Google Mail icon but it hurts my eyes to focus that close. Bad eyesight FTW.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:18 PM   #4
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
After just reading a review that devoted a full six paragraphs to berating the One S for it's pentile display I stared as hard as I could at my Nexus S looking for the fringes and other artifacts the review describes.

I concluded that there is no way I can see what they are talking about. Can you?

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/2/291...c-one-s-review
I also concluded that the writer has a strange fixation with the breath of his whether man.

edit: forgot to add pool Oh well.
Some people are just fixated with crap like that. They will use the smallest thing to tear something down and by the same token, you'll notice they will also more than likely completely overlook the biggest defects in other products because of one wow-worthy feature.

Example, most review sites say the new Dell XPS 13 ultrabook is pretty awesome all around. And yet, Engadget and a couple of other sites couldn't get over the fact that it didn't have quite as many ports for SD cards or whatever as some other product. These same reviewers will go through a ton of other products with the exact same deficiencies and never say anything but magically on ONE product, it becomes the sole reason not to recommend it.

Stuff like that irritates the crap out of me.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:18 PM   #5
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

you're just blind.

Everyone could notice a pentile display the same as people noiticing each glaring little pixel shade being in the wrong space in a game compared to a competitor.

I mean...pffft...so easy......

And its a DEALBREAKER!!!!!

Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:36 PM   #6
kytprice
EnRaged

kytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

You know I have owned a Thunderbolt, Incredible, Droid X, original Droid and 2 iPhones and I don't mind the pentile screen on my Droid X2 at all. Of course my eyesight is not the best. But it looks pretty good to me.
kytprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 07:41 PM   #7
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Samsung makes Super AMOLED Plus displays. My Droid Charge has one. Why not get a perfect display? It looks perfect to me. I'll probably keep my Droid Charge till it stops working... Or until 5" versions of that display comes out.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:10 PM   #8
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Samsung makes Super AMOLED Plus displays. My Droid Charge has one. Why not get a perfect display? It looks perfect to me. I'll probably keep my Droid Charge till it stops working... Or until 5" versions of that display comes out.
My Galaxy Nexus doesn't even have the plus moniker and is a pentile screen. It looks great. Get off their nuts, reviewers.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64

HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:14 PM   #9
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Compare any pentile screen to any IPS screen and try and say pentile is superior or even on par, I don't think you'll be able to.
Do they even make IPS displays for phones? Any desktop display is way lower pixel density so I don't think that is a very fair comparison. At any rate, even at the same pixel density I am betting I would notice the contrast difference before the pentile arrangement.

You must have very good eyes compared to me.

Quote:
Why not get a perfect display?
Cause I am on T-mobile and I would rather get the phone with the best camera than a display that I can't even tell is better. Therefore the One S is probably gonna be the one for me.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:03 PM   #10
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Some people are just fixated with crap like that. They will use the smallest thing to tear something down and by the same token, you'll notice they will also more than likely completely overlook the biggest defects in other products because of one wow-worthy feature.

Example, most review sites say the new Dell XPS 13 ultrabook is pretty awesome all around. And yet, Engadget and a couple of other sites couldn't get over the fact that it didn't have quite as many ports for SD cards or whatever as some other product. These same reviewers will go through a ton of other products with the exact same deficiencies and never say anything but magically on ONE product, it becomes the sole reason not to recommend it.

Stuff like that irritates the crap out of me.
Pentile displays just look like crap to my eyes, there's no two ways about it. Even the RAZR's screen just isn't optimal, it still looks like a pentile display. Compare any pentile screen to any IPS screen and try and say pentile is superior or even on par, I don't think you'll be able to. Your example, while sort of valid, still doesn't deal with something you have to look at every single time you use the device, it's not dealing with the main point of interaction with said device, so it's much more trivial.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:52 PM   #11
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Pentile displays just look like crap to my eyes, there's no two ways about it. Even the RAZR's screen just isn't optimal, it still looks like a pentile display. Compare any pentile screen to any IPS screen and try and say pentile is superior or even on par, I don't think you'll be able to. Your example, while sort of valid, still doesn't deal with something you have to look at every single time you use the device, it's not dealing with the main point of interaction with said device, so it's much more trivial.
you could probably spot those pixels shifting between frames too..

i want your eyes, mine are bad.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:54 AM   #12
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypsee View Post
I would prefer to have IPS display, color accuracy instead of boosted colors
So you would like an RGB stripe Super AMOLED display then.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:45 AM   #13
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
So you would like an RGB stripe Super AMOLED display then.
super amoled is nice. but it also burn your screen that is not avoidable. this is the most weak aspect of super amoled panel.

altho i just got my tab 7.7 which uses super amoled as well, i am so worrying about the burn in issues. However, the screen panel is really one of the best which i odn't thik many will dislike
some user has even reported to have their screen burn-in just after 2 weeks.
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png

Last edited by wc326 : Apr 15, 2012 at 11:52 AM.
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:06 PM   #14
ATi VGA Wonder

I use auto brightness and don't turn it up manually unless I'm watching Netflix on my phone. The Charge has an additional power savings option for the screen but I am unsure what exactly it does. Also have the screen turn off after a minute of no use.

As the AMOLED screen ages the burn in should even out.

But that's my phone... of course my tablet is an IPS TF101 so I don't worry there.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:24 PM   #15
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

It looks like they were leaving it on the home screen a lot. Maybe using it as a clock. Personally, I have my phone and tablet set to turn of automatically after a couple minutes. Of course, I don't have any Super AMOLED devices.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:36 PM   #16
Tizen
Custom User Title

Tizen is still being judged by the masses

Also amoled needs some time to "burnout" to its proper colors. What you see in that picture is that some pixels are still factory fresh from the use of dark colors.

Over time the image quality stabilizes

Edit:

That also looks like a long exposure shot. The actual burn-in probably isn't that bad, but still it's not nice to see it :\