Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Oct 13, 2004, 03:35 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
JonZ
Radeon Arctic Islands

JonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Default Need a router, do I need VPN??

I did a quick search about that VPN I keep hearing. I still don't really know if I need it.

What VPN routers can do more than regular routers?

I have 3 computers and perhaps another one soon and I use sometime distant computers in other offices too.

Last edited by JonZ : Oct 13, 2004 at 03:37 PM.
JonZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 03:49 PM   #2
ultraright
Radeon R300

ultraright is still being judged by the masses

A VPN is Virtual Private Network. It's basically for allowing a remote user access to your network resources as if they were a local user.

For home use, the only thing it's really useful for making hosting games easier.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 11:50 PM   #3
2001ppj
XeoNexus

2001ppj is still being judged by the masses

Off topic, I have a netgear rt311 gateway router. Lately I have attempted to host a ut04 server, but the ports req are blocked. The ports to serve ut04 were open months ago but now their either closed or unseen from the net (stealth). I have set the router to open the req ports and the server still does not show up outside of my LAN. Using some free port scanning sites only 5 ports are found open the rest are closed or stealth. Any help is appreciated.Thx.

ISP SBC yahoo dsl.

Last edited by 2001ppj : Oct 13, 2004 at 11:51 PM. Reason: isp
2001ppj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 14, 2004, 12:35 PM   #4
Gator
Unreal Android

Gator is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

ya VPN is only necessary if you want a remote computer to act like they are part of your workgroup file sharing. But on home cable/dsl connections a VPN is often REALLY REALLY slow. I've tried it myself and I wouldn't waste your time, it's more important that the router come with a builtin firewall. If it comes with VPN too so be it, but don't look for it specifically unless you need that functionality.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 10:33 AM   #5
Themlasu
Cosmic

Themlasu is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ppj
Off topic, I have a netgear rt311 gateway router. Lately I have attempted to host a ut04 server, but the ports req are blocked. The ports to serve ut04 were open months ago but now their either closed or unseen from the net (stealth). I have set the router to open the req ports and the server still does not show up outside of my LAN. Using some free port scanning sites only 5 ports are found open the rest are closed or stealth. Any help is appreciated.Thx.

ISP SBC yahoo dsl.
Do you have windows xp and recently installed service pack 2?
when we are dreaming, and as often happens, have a dim consciousness of the fact and try to wake, do we not say and do things which in waking life would be insane? May we not then sometimes define insanity as an inability to distinguish which is the waking and which the sleeping life? We often dream without the least suspicion of unreality: 'Sleep hath its own world', and it is often as lifelike as the other.
Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (aka Lewis Carroll)
Themlasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 11:59 AM   #6
brc64
Zeekyboogydoog!

brc64 is still being judged by the masses

VPN connections are cool, but if you don't know what they are, you probably don't need one. My work supplied me with a Linksys VPN router to use at home so that I could have a secure connection to network resources in the office. It's handy.

If you're looking to get a new router, don't let VPN capability be a selling point. I'm a fan of the Linksys BEFSR41.

- Me
brc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 11:03 AM   #7
2001ppj
XeoNexus

2001ppj is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themlasu
Do you have windows xp and recently installed service pack 2?
yes. I could serve fine before, but I dont remember if it was before or after sp2.
2001ppj is offline   Reply With Quote