Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Jul 3, 2020, 02:03 PM   #121
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Don't lose your sense of humor.
it is funny any graphical glitches with AMD is always drivers

but with NV it is always something else dx12, vulkan or the game

now i have not been running AMD since i got the 2080 ti and gave my fruy x's to my sister so about 2 years

but i seem to remember both dx12 & vulkan ran better with less glitches on AMD since they both based on amd mantle

and NV has had tons of dx12 issues since it came out a lot less with vulkan but some

it will be interesting to see how the dx12 only cyberpunk 2077 runs on NV and AMD

Last edited by bill dennison : Jul 3, 2020 at 02:18 PM.
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2020, 02:46 PM   #122
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
it will be interesting to see how the dx12 only cyberpunk 2077 runs on NV and AMD

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2020, 04:18 PM   #123
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
used to be with my two fury x's AMD was faster on DX12 than DX11

and NV took a performance hit on DX12

but i haven't been able to keep track of it since i went all to the dark side

and did less than a year ago
https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/...sation_guide/5

Last edited by bill dennison : Jul 3, 2020 at 04:26 PM.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 4, 2020, 07:17 AM   #124
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

Quote:
yea there were no graphical glitches with NV or RTX ever at all with NV drivers they are always perfect

what was the last AMD card you used or was it a ATI ?

I wasnt trying to be facetious with my post. Now I have a display that can do both Freesync Ultimate and G-Sync - I do have the option of going AMD, my previous display only did G-Sync. I just have concerns going back to AMD because my experience with nvidia has been pretty close to flawless. I'm not saying nvidia doesnt have issues - I am saying I personally havent had any. The last AMD GPU I ran was a R9 290. Was a while back - I can't recall any major driver problems tbh. I'd love to go back to AMD - I'm just apprehensive about doing so. I can't recall the last time I ran a full AMD system (CPU and GPU), probably back in the early 2000's.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2020, 07:56 AM   #125
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I wasnt trying to be facetious with my post. Now I have a display that can do both Freesync Ultimate and G-Sync - I do have the option of going AMD, my previous display only did G-Sync.
That's gonna be an issue for me as my display is gsync only.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2020, 12:33 PM   #126
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I wasnt trying to be facetious with my post. Now I have a display that can do both Freesync Ultimate and G-Sync - I do have the option of going AMD, my previous display only did G-Sync. I just have concerns going back to AMD because my experience with nvidia has been pretty close to flawless. I'm not saying nvidia doesnt have issues - I am saying I personally havent had any. The last AMD GPU I ran was a R9 290. Was a while back - I can't recall any major driver problems tbh. I'd love to go back to AMD - I'm just apprehensive about doing so. I can't recall the last time I ran a full AMD system (CPU and GPU), probably back in the early 2000's.
most real driver problems i remember were crossfire and sli

single card not so much

and most both single and mgpu i could fix with a blank boot drive and a fresh install and finding a other driver or program that is conflicting

some people seen to get a lot
Old Jul 6, 2020, 07:23 AM   #127
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
There's no proof of that. No one knows whether the 3080TI and 3090 are the same, or if they're separate cards. It would appear that the 3090 is the 3080TI, just renamed, which would allow NV to refresh the standard 3080 as the 3080TI. Honestly, it makes more sense rather than the ridiculous "super" moniker.

The 3090 could be the A chip of the 3080TI, but again, no one knows yet.
You do know that Nvidia is investigating the Leak. Like they are pissed. Nvidia's plan is to await the release of "Big Navi" then release from the top down.

3090 ( Titan Replacement ) $1999.99 USD
3080 Ti $1499.99 USD
3080 $1199.99 USD

3 to 5 month later you will get the mid to low end range of cards. 3070, 3060 and a 1750.

Just watch.
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, EVGA FTW3 2080Ti Sixtuple SLI, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2020, 07:41 AM   #128
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

$1199 for the 3080? No chance dude. There is no way NV is moving their entire high-end GPU lineup into the $1000+ mark.

Zero percent chance that those dollar figures are accurate. I'll eat my words if I'm wrong, because if I'm wrong, there's no way I'm buying anything.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2020, 07:46 AM   #129
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
$1199 for the 3080? No chance dude. There is no way NV is moving their entire high-end GPU lineup into the $1000+ mark.

Zero percent chance that those dollar figures are accurate. I'll eat my words if I'm wrong, because if I'm wrong, there's no way I'm buying anything.
Nvidia can charge whatever they want. You want too know why?

Even AdoredTV has no faith in Big Navi. We are still a few years away from AMD using some of those Ryzen Bucks to be put in to GPU-RND. By then Intel should be on the stage with atleast something to compete with AMD's GPU's.

My guess is 2 to 3 years before we see pricing come back down.
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, EVGA FTW3 2080Ti Sixtuple SLI, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2020, 07:58 AM   #130
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I would agree if the 5700XT had not seen as much success in sales as it has. The dGPU market is not solely dominated by NV, and AMD has built a strong reputation and brand recognition through their Ryzen chips. People see AMD and they don't think "trash" anymore, because quite frankly they aren't manufacturing DOA products like they used to.

NV might get away with those prices for the 3000 series, but at what cost? In the short term, it may be a victory, but NV has never really focused on short term. If NV prices as you suspect, then AMD will be the dominant GPU manufacturer within the next 4-5 years.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2020, 10:05 AM   #131
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

$1199 for a standard 3080 That would be yet another hard pass, I don’t need a graphics card that bad.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2020, 11:07 AM   #132
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
Nvidia can charge whatever they want. You want too know why?

Even AdoredTV has no faith in Big Navi. We are still a few years away from AMD using some of those Ryzen Bucks to be put in to GPU-RND. By then Intel should be on the stage with atleast something to compete with AMD's GPU's.

My guess is 2 to 3 years before we see pricing come back down.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_page...review,14.html
5700XT is already very close to a 2080
it needs more memory for 4k and Big Navi will have that

and Big Navi has 2x the CU's and gpu cores

don't think it will have any problem beating the 2080 ti or the 3080

the 3090 maybe not

it just won't matter for NV pricing they will just ignore AMD even if they are faster than the 3090
they will run a internet campaign with that old saw about drivers
Old Jul 6, 2020, 11:29 AM   #133
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

The price gets hiked once and everyone freaks out. I'm sure they won't go up again. Best to just wait and see rather than stress over it for months.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 12:02 PM   #134
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

If they raise the prices even more I will seriously have to have a good look at what the PS5/xbox 360 one series sx elite pro will cost.

I love PC Gaming, but I have my limits to what I will spend.

Now if the PS5 costs like 800 or more then **** it will buy a GPU.

HOWEVER if the PS5 costs like 400-500 and the 3080 is 1000+ then I will have some thinking to do.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2020, 12:53 PM   #135
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
If they raise the prices even more I will seriously have to have a good look at what the PS5/xbox 360 one series sx elite pro will cost.

I love PC Gaming, but I have my limits to what I will spend.

Now if the PS5 costs like 800 or more then **** it will buy a GPU.

HOWEVER if the PS5 costs like 400-500 and the 3080 is 1000+ then I will have some thinking to do.
Why not look at mid range cards?

I've already come to the conclusion I will likely be in the market for a 3070.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2020, 01:01 PM   #136
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Why not look at mid range cards?

I've already come to the conclusion I will likely be in the market for a 3070.
Midrange is the price that the top end used to be

I will wait and see how it all works out.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2020, 01:46 PM   #137
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
Midrange is the price that the top end used to be

I will wait and see how it all works out.
Exactly, that's why I said I would likely be going mid range now. Luckily I didn't raise my standards yet with high refresh rate or 4K.

I used to always buy the top tier cards but now I'm priced out of it. I'm still using a 980 Ti which when purchased for $700 was considered high end.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2020, 10:48 AM   #138
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
NVIDIA’s RTX 3000 Series ‘Ampere’ Flagship Will Have 627mm˛ Large Die?
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-ampere-g...g-627mm-2-die/
Old Jul 8, 2020, 10:53 AM   #139
AllexxisF1
Owie.

AllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English Channel

That Nvidia rumor using Samsung's 8nm is starting to get some traction.
AllexxisF1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2020, 04:10 PM   #140
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
NVIDIA (NASDAQ: NVDA) Surpasses Intel to Become the Third-Largest Semiconductor in the World by Market Cap
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-nasdaq-n...by-market-cap/

yep

those RTX 3000 prices are going up
Old Jul 9, 2020, 12:29 PM   #141
Cream
Radeon R600

Cream can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCream can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCream can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Find it odd that people don't know how economics work.

The cards are worth whatever people are willing to pay for them. If they sell enough at $1,500 then that will be the price. Like it or leave it. If AMD actually turn up at the races this time and are more competitive and cheaper then the price will be less.

Thy are top end cards at top end prices. No one forces anyone to buy them. So if the figures work out for Nvidia at a high price then that will be what it is.
16GB Corsair DDR4 ,1TB 970 EVO plus / SSD 850 evo / 2TB hybrid drive for games, 1TB storage drive
Zowie FK1, Oculus CV1, Logitech G920, black widow Ultimate, Xbox one pad. Saitec X-55 H.O.T.A.S.
Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2020, 12:35 PM   #142
Cream
Radeon R600

Cream can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCream can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCream can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Exactly, that's why I said I would likely be going mid range now. Luckily I didn't raise my standards yet with high refresh rate or 4K.

I used to always buy the top tier cards but now I'm priced out of it. I'm still using a 980 Ti which when purchased for $700 was considered high end.
My Son has a 980Ti (my old card) in his system and it copes well enough even at 1440p.
I've a 1080Ti which is still a great card. Skipped the 2000 cards as I didn't see them as good value for money , They perform much better now, but it's to late in the day to buy a 2080Ti, they needed the performance they have now when they first released them .
Will be going 3080 or 3080Ti depending on performance. Need to perform better than my 1080Ti at 1440p but with all the raytracing bells running.
16GB Corsair DDR4 ,1TB 970 EVO plus / SSD 850 evo / 2TB hybrid drive for games, 1TB storage drive
Zowie FK1, Oculus CV1, Logitech G920, black widow Ultimate, Xbox one pad. Saitec X-55 H.O.T.A.S.
Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2020, 04:06 PM   #143
the_sextein
Radeon Northern Islands

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

Back when the 2000 series was released Nvidia had higher demand due to the crypto market. They also had no competition at all, not even on the horizon. Now that AMD is going through with a head to head launch for the first time since they purchased ATI, Even if they don't come out on top Nvidia is going to see direct competition across most of the low and medium range lineup if not the high end as well. PC gaming is also going to get a little competition from consoles around this time as well and the crypto market went bust.

On top of that, if Nvidia is using Samsung 8nm then it's going to cost them less to manufacture the cards than it would if they went with TSMC 7nm. Nvidia has always had Titan cards for people who will pay 2x as much for 5% more performance and I don't expect that to change this time however, the nearly 2x price hike last time didn't work out for them last year. Nvidia is doing well but it's gaming sector underperformed last year and we all know why. I don't know if prices will drop but I highly doubt they will go up again. Especially since they are sticking with 12GB of VRAM. I expect prices will stay flat.
the_sextein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2020, 04:23 PM   #144
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sextein View Post
Back when the 2000 series was released Nvidia had higher demand due to the crypto market. They also had no competition at all, not even on the horizon. Now that AMD is going through with a head to head launch for the first time since they purchased ATI, Even if they don't come out on top Nvidia is going to see direct competition across most of the low and medium range lineup if not the high end as well. PC gaming is also going to get a little competition from consoles around this time as well and the crypto market went bust.

On top of that, if Nvidia is using Samsung 8nm then it's going to cost them less to manufacture the cards than it would if they went with TSMC 7nm. Nvidia has always had Titan cards for people who will pay 2x as much for 5% more performance and I don't expect that to change this time however, the nearly 2x price hike last time didn't work out for them last year. Nvidia is doing well but it's gaming sector underperformed last year and we all know why. I don't know if prices will drop but I highly doubt they will go up again. Especially since they are sticking with 12GB of VRAM. I expect prices will stay flat.
no

nv stopped head to head launch after the 4870 dropped the price of the gtx 280 from $650 dropped to $430 after 3 months

then the 480 turned into a BBQ

and the fixed 580 released 8 months later and they have been out of sync ever since
and i think they both wanted it that way

and i think they would be this time but for the virus

AMD has been late a few times also

but both the 7970 and the 290x were very good for them
Old Jul 9, 2020, 04:57 PM   #145
the_sextein
Radeon Northern Islands

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
no

nv stopped head to head launch after the 4870 dropped the price of the gtx 280 from $650 dropped to $430 after 3 months

and the fixed 580 released 8 months later and they have been out of sync ever since

Geforce 6800 Ultra May 4th 2004
Geforce 7800GTX June 22 2005
Geforce 8800 Ultra May 2 2006
Geforce 9800GTX April 1 2008
Geforce GTX 480 March 26 2010
Geforce GTX 680 March 22 2012
Geforce GTX 780 May 23 2013
Normal variants change here but TI continues the high end launch of chip series.

Geforce 980TI June 1 2015
Geforce 1080TI March 5 2017

All top variant launched with in the same quarter of each year in 1 year intervals up to the 8800Ultra. After that point the intervals change to two years periods for top launches of chip series but regular and TI variants continue to launch every year interchanging. Regualar cards change to August, November.

For example the Geforce GTX 580 and GTX 280 ect. are stop gap cards with faster variants coming out a year later within the same 3 month period that they always have. So nothing has changed and yet there has been no head to head competition. The 2080TI certainly changed things because it launched at the same time as the regular 2080 and once again there was no competition and even years later there was still no competition lol. They still haven't beaten a 1080TI dude. You could say that the TI was the normal champ and the super variants were the refresh this time with no need to put out a new champ card. Nvidia has no reason to wait 4 years for ATI to catch up before launching a new card so you can't blame them at this point.

Last edited by the_sextein : Jul 9, 2020 at 05:09 PM.
the_sextein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2020, 07:08 PM   #146
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
no

Even though the 7970 and 290x products did bring performance leadership for a short time, the underlying Gcn architecture cost Amd so much market share.

The 7970 was easily over run by a cheaper, more efficient Gtx 680 and the 290x had to deal with cheaper 770''s and 780's, with the introduction of a ti variant as well.

Performance watt was really hurting Amd with Gcn and why Amd constantly discusses performance watt so loudly with Rdna.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 08:19 PM   #147
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIrPauly View Post
Even though the 7970 and 290x products did bring performance leadership for a short time, the underlying Gcn architecture cost Amd so much market share.

The 7970 was easily over run by a cheaper, more efficient Gtx 680 and the 290x had to deal with cheaper 770''s and 780's, with the introduction of a ti variant as well.

Performance watt was really hurting Amd with Gcn and why Amd constantly discusses performance watt so loudly with Rdna.
and a lot of people had single card stutter with the 680 i know i had it and it took them months to fix it
i fixed it first with a second card

and unlike the 7970 that worked fine with the first pcie 3.0 MB's the 680 was almost always showing that it was running in 2.0