Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Oct 27, 2011, 09:35 AM   #3691
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
night
Radeon Arctic Islands

night can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynight can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post

This is the memory usage that sweclockers got on their 580gtx on the ultra, high, medium and low setting.

Looks like ultra and 1gb vram is no big no no.

I was screwing around last night... put everything on low with HBAO and 4xaa and it was running ~680.
I'm assuming the textures and draw distance are the biggest factor and i'm gonna work on turn it up over time until the stuttering starts
Old Oct 27, 2011, 09:54 AM   #3692
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Funny is the game auto-selected "Ultra" for my textures and I have 1gb video cards. I noticed some hitching but mainly due to those CAP3's, the CAP4's still cause some hitching and I had the least trouble without any caps.
Spring the trap. Spring it all over her face.
_TiTaNiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 09:57 AM   #3693
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicH(SAD) View Post
Why does the squad system suck so much? I can't spawn on anyone 99% of the time. Yesterday my friend was in my squad and I could only spawn on him. He could spawn on the other two guys but I couldn't, so I had to wait for him to spawn and then spawn on him
Also it's damn near impossible to join a friends squad or join any empty one so your friends can join up with you. There's only "Find A Squad" and "Leave Squad". No "Join Selected Squad"
Spring the trap. Spring it all over her face.
_TiTaNiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 27, 2011, 09:59 AM   #3694
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by _TiTaNiuM View Post
Also it's damn near impossible to join a friends squad or join any empty one so your friends can join up with you. There's only "Find A Squad" and "Leave Squad". No "Join Selected Squad"
yes there is.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:02 AM   #3695
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
leave your current squad. then highlight the squad you want to join and a tiny join button shows up at the bottom.
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:09 AM   #3696
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

Quote:
Funny is the game auto-selected "Ultra" for my textures and I have 1gb video cards. I noticed some hitching but mainly due to those CAP3's, the CAP4's still cause some hitching and I had the least trouble without any caps.
i dont think running out of vram is really hurting us anymore. i think it wont really impact performance till you really go over your cards vram.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:14 AM   #3697
RSViper
Radeon R520

RSViper is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post
leave your current squad. then highlight the squad you want to join and a tiny join button shows up at the bottom.
There are just some things about the menus and key bindings that just not user freindly.

I was flying jets last night and apparently when you use the joystick hat to look around in free look mode, it won't take any other input from the joystick so the plane flies in a straight line while I'm trying too look around. That is bad if there's someone on my tail.

Also, I can't fly helicopters and then switch to planes without having to change the control inversion. If I don't change I'll pull back on the joystick and the helo will nose dive while in a jet it's fine an the jet flies up. I've got a Microsoft sidewinder so it is an older unsupported joystick but really, Is it that hard to make the input be consistent. Some of these things might work with better more intuitive menus or ways to bind things, but as it is now, it's frustrating trying to set up even basic controls.

The ground combat so far has been a blast though and there is so much to learn. It's deffinately not a game where you can hop in and succeed without some teamwork or knowledge of the map and objectives.
RSViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:52 AM   #3698
night
Radeon Arctic Islands

night can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynight can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
i dont think running out of vram is really hurting us

i think it wont really impact performance till you really go over your cards vram.

Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:56 AM   #3699
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by night View Post
what?

still cant figure out video ram. doesnt really seem to hurt performance when you go over how much you have
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:59 AM   #3700
night
Radeon Arctic Islands

I think we'd all consider 'hurting us' and 'impacting performance' the same thing

I've been messing with my setting to keep the game from pegging out vram to see if it stops stuttreing.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:20 AM   #3701
H001iGAN
Orzysz

H001iGAN is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
what?

still cant figure out video ram. doesnt really seem to hurt performance when you go over how much you have
it does for me, for example I play @ 1600P with ultra settings and it goes down to 20 fps then back to 60 every couple of seconds while using max amount of vram 1536mb or so, when I put down AA to 2x, turn post process aa effect off and the game uses 1300-1400 on average, sometimes even 1500 but fps is pinned @ 60 fps all the time, maybe it only effect performance when you go over by a large amount of vram.
H001iGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:23 AM   #3702
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

i kinda wanna play but dont want to deal with battlelog not cooperating.

"loading...loading...loading...disconnected"
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:24 AM   #3703
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Quote:
i kinda wanna play but dont want to deal with battlelog not cooperating.

"loading...loading...loading...disconnected"
Other than running into full servers, I haven't had any issues with battlelog.

Well, other than it not always returning a ping for the server list. Beyond that. Everything is working for me. I am pleased.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:52 AM   #3704
acroig
Master Troll

acroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Default AMD Recommends Using Nvidia's FXAA in Battlefield 3

"Yesterday AMD sent us a benchmarking guide for Battlefield 3 written by Antal Tungler, AMD's PR Manager. In the guide, Antal recommends using Nvidia's FXAA instead of MSAA.

"You'll notice that we recommend the 'Ultra' preset in lot of our scenarios, without the use of MSAA (Multi-Sample Anti-Aliasing). This is a traditional technique to remove aliasing from objects in the visible scene. It provides significant image quality improvements, at least in most cases. But because of its nature, working only on actual geometry, some objects will not benefit at all from this process, like foliage or fences, that are just textures, sprites etc. Luckily DICE implemented a new technique as well called FXAA (Fast Approximate Anti-Aliasing), which is a process that works pretty much on all objects. Another significant difference between the two is that while FXAA has a very small impact on performance, however using MSAA can essentially cut your framerate in half."

"If we view the same data in another way we can also see that once we add 4xMSAA we are lowering our frame rate so much that we are moving from a playable to non-playable gaming scenario on some high end graphics solutions if we use the standard 30fps average for playable. Many of the extremely competitive Battlefield 3 players will want as many frames as they can get making MSAA a questionable option! We can also see from both charts provided that FXAA has a relatively low performance cost for the great level of Image Quality it provides."

"The idea behind the following pages comparisons is not to discredit MSAA or the implementation of MSAA in Battlefield 3. MSAA is a wonderful technique that can be used to improve the image quality of your gaming. Users should be wary however that MSAA will not improve all objects in the game and comes at a high performance cost to the user that may not be necessary for someone looking to maximize their performance and gaming experience. It is highly recommended that users take time to toggle settings themselves and determine if the Image Quality improvement that MSAA provides is worth the performance hit their frames per second will take while gaming."

Read more: http://www.ngohq.com/news/20747-amd-...#ixzz1bzvs4Vrc

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:05 PM   #3705
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

from that article:

no wonder they recommend fxaa and not msaa
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:07 PM   #3706
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

What does the low,med,high fxaa setting do?

Is there less blur if you have it at high?
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:12 PM   #3707
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
What does the low,med,high fxaa setting do?

Is there less blur if you have it at high?
less blur = fxaa off (serious)
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:14 PM   #3708
night
Radeon Arctic Islands

seriously blurry on high, I would think 2xaa and low is a good compromise.
found this old slide too, has a memory number on it.. scroll down a bit
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1037827502

1080p with 4xaa is 158 meg
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:34 PM   #3709
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

i cant activate this ****
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:34 PM   #3710
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Looks like I'm just full of questions and too lazy to find out the answers for myself today.

Does anyknow if both hbao and ssao introduces mouselag, or if it's just hbao?
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:52 PM   #3711
night
Radeon Arctic Islands

I've not noticed any mouse lag at all and i have run all 3 options.
I have seen someone else say HB did.. but I'd bet it is more to do with over all performance than that setting alone.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:55 PM   #3712
KAC
Lets talk stupid

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

What are the best settings in this game? I am running ultra preset w/ vsync on. Game runs smooth enough without issues but would like to know what are the best settings for AMD? If someone can post a screenshot that would be really helpful.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:58 PM   #3713
Warpedkevin
Old School!

Warpedkevin is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Nissan View Post
i cant activate this ****
Use this proxy if you're trying to bypass the date check. I would advise you to not log into battelog at the time, and possibly change your Origin password after. Who knows what information the proxy is recording, etc. Worked for me:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...ostcount=28851
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:58 PM   #3714
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Fuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
What are the best settings in this game? I am running ultra preset w/ vsync on. Game runs smooth enough without issues but would like to know what are the best settings for AMD? If someone can post a screenshot that would be really helpful.

I have everything on Ultra except that Post AA thingy completely off.
Blurs the screen. No vsync either.

Last edited by Fuku2 : Oct 27, 2011 at 01:01 PM.
Fuku2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 01:07 PM   #3715
Roxen
Drunk sexy prick

Roxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Well I spent most my night dreaming about being an uber pro bf3 soldier dude.

Time to play some more. >_>
Old Oct 27, 2011, 01:11 PM   #3716
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpedkevin View Post
Use this proxy if you're trying to bypass the date check. I would advise you to not log into battelog at the time, and possibly change your Origin password after. Who knows what information the proxy is recording, etc. Worked for me:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...ostcount=28851
Thank you but its released here today. I guess there are too many trying at the same time =/
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 01:18 PM   #3717
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxen View Post
Well I spent most my night dreaming about being an uber pro bf3 soldier dude.
then you woke up and reality hit you across the face
Old Oct 27, 2011, 01:38 PM   #3718
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I can't activate the game

Here's what it says:

I pop in the disk, it asks if I want to install, select "yes", Origin starts up, and I'm stuck at the ****ing message. If I click retry it just stays there indefinitely.

Has anyone else had this problem ?
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 01:39 PM   #3719
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

apparently all of Europe is having issues.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 01:40 PM   #3720
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
apparently all of Europe is having issues.
Awesome.
I'll just try to redeem the cdkey directly, maybe it works that way.

edit.
Nope, it doesn't. Currently you can't activate anything on Origin right now.

Last edited by Ego : Oct 27, 2011 at 01:43 PM.
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote