Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jun 20, 2018, 04:15 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Exposed
Banned

Exposed once held a door open for a complete strangerExposed once held a door open for a complete strangerExposed once held a door open for a complete strangerExposed once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
The CPU cooler is garbage, go with an AIO LCS.

The PSU is ****, get the RMi not the RMx, or go better with the HXi or AXi.

Get rid of the Seagate Constellation and just do a NAS or external storage with some Western Digital Reds.
Isn't that a liquid cooled CPU cooler?
Exposed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2018, 06:21 AM   #32
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Isn't that a liquid cooled CPU cooler?
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FRY...u-cooler-bk021

Its a tower cooler not an LCS.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2018, 08:05 AM   #33
Exposed
Banned

Exposed once held a door open for a complete strangerExposed once held a door open for a complete strangerExposed once held a door open for a complete strangerExposed once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
I know the Dark Rock 4 is, but the AIO LCS looks to be a liquid cooler. I'm more interested in air cooling rather than liquid cooling at this time.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:05 AM   #34
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
I know the Dark Rock 4 is, but the AIO LCS looks to be a liquid cooler. I'm more interested in air cooling rather than liquid cooling at this time.
Everyone here is going to tell you to do an AIO.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:40 AM   #35
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Sea Islands

NWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Everyone here is going to tell you to do an AIO.
or a Noctua air cooled solution.
NWR_Midnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:21 PM   #36
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Isn't the dark rock comparable to a noctua heatsink of the same size?
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2018, 08:27 PM   #37
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird sings

The pre built AIO are fine I suppose but you really have to be anal about your cooling on some of the setups I see, just watching some air cooler against water cooler videos it doesn't seem to do a much better job then air.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2018, 02:11 PM   #38
Exposed
Banned

I went with a more budget orientated build. Got the 8700 instead of 8700k and will be re-using my existing case, power supply, and keeping my 2TB internal drive for now. Will get everything shipped to me by Tuesday.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/csambhudat/saved/Pz6vVn

When the 8 core 8700k comes out later this year I can fill in the rest or build a new rig entirely.

Last edited by Exposed : Jun 24, 2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:27 AM   #39
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWR_Midnight View Post
or a Noctua air cooled solution.
This

Depending on compatibility, either the Noctua D15 or D15s. From the reviews I have seen, I would just get the D15s. Cooling performance is very similar, but it has more clearance for RAM etc.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:35 AM   #40
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

BTW, WTF is up with RAM prices?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:00 AM   #41
GTwannabe
Radeon Evergreen

GTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
BTW, WTF is up with RAM prices?
Global RAM shortage, bro. Try pricing a new VMware host with 256GB of ECC. RAM costs more than the server...
GTwannabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2018, 08:17 AM   #42
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Thread cleaned up per request; let's keep this on topic about PC building
Old Jun 27, 2018, 01:27 PM   #43
Exposed
Banned

Decided to go ahead and get this case:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So much for budget building.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 09:46 AM   #44
Exposed
Banned

Got the 8700 build up and running. For some reason the new build will not recognize my wireless xbox 1 controller, but it will recognize my older xbox 360 wireless controller. Spent hours trying to get it to connect, till I realized it won't connect to any of my 4 other PC's and laptops either (which it did before), unless I use a USB dongle. Got damn xbox1 wireless adaptor is that much of a snowflake?

Looking forward to see if gaming benchmarks show an improvement over a 4 core Haswell i7, especially in Assassins Creed origins.

On a side note, the Corsaire 780T is freaking HUGE. Has really excellent airflow however, which is why I got it.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 09:58 AM   #45
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Quote:
Got the 8700 build up and running. For some reason the new build will not recognize my wireless xbox 1 controller, but it will recognize my older xbox 360 wireless controller. Spent hours trying to get it to connect, till I realized it won't connect to any of my 4 other PC's and laptops either (which it did before), unless I use a USB dongle. Got damn xbox1 wireless adaptor is that much of a snowflake?

Looking forward to see if gaming benchmarks show an improvement over a 4 core Haswell i7, especially in Assassins Creed origins.

On a side note, the Corsaire 780T is freaking HUGE. Has really excellent airflow however, which is why I got it.
You need to be careful of which XBOX One controllers you use, I had the same problem, they wouldn't connect over Bluetooth as the Model Number was the versions without Bluetooth so I had to use the wireless dongle.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 10:44 AM   #46
Exposed
Banned

I'm using the xbox1 controller for Windows though, which comes with its own wireless adaptor. It worked just fine on my Haswell setup prior to tearing it down for the new build.

I must have done something, the adaptor doesn't work at all on my offfice PC with my Samsung Odyssey VR setup, which it did just days before. This is the same controller that came with the Oculus Rift retail package.

Can't even get the controller to sync up even on my laptops, but the controller works just fine when connected via USB cable, something must be wrong with the adaptor.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 10:48 AM   #47
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

There used to be a bug where windows would not automatically download the correct driver for the adapter, you had to download it manually.

Maybe you've run into that?
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2018, 11:06 AM   #48
KAC
Lets talk stupid

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

How is the performance?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2018, 11:34 AM   #49
Exposed
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
There used to be a bug where windows would not automatically download the correct driver for the adapter, you had to download it manually.

Maybe you've run into that?
On all my computers though? Seems strange. I'll check the driver though.

Quote:
How is the performance?
Posted in other thread.