Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old May 23, 2006, 02:35 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Kagtooth
Please, call me Kag

Kagtooth is still being judged by the masses

Default American War of Independence

Was it essentially British fighting (fomer) British? It interests me as it's not something talked about at this side of the pond...

The Seeker is the Sought.
Kagtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 02:38 PM   #2
pink_pants

pink_pants once jumped the English Channelpink_pants once jumped the English Channelpink_pants once jumped the English Channelpink_pants once jumped the English Channelpink_pants once jumped the English Channelpink_pants once jumped the English Channelpink_pants once jumped the English Channelpink_pants once jumped the English Channelpink_pants once jumped the English Channelpink_pants once jumped the English Channelpink_pants once jumped the English Channel

pink_pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 02:40 PM   #3
Kagtooth
Please, call me Kag

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_pants
Yeah I tried that earlier, I'm just too busy/lazy to read it all

Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 23, 2006, 02:45 PM   #4
demonic
Hallowed are the Ori

demonic is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagtooth
Was it essentially British fighting (fomer) British? It interests me as it's not something talked about at this side of the pond...
Please dont tell me you were born in the UK.
demonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 02:46 PM   #5
Lunar Wolf
arr ye scurvy noobs!!1

Lunar Wolf is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Historians usually agree that the revolutionary era began in 1763 as Britain defeated France in the French and Indian War, and the military threat to the colonies from France ended.
Well if that ain't gratitude for yah!
Lunar Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 02:46 PM   #6
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonic
I never heard an american (at least over here) call it 'the pond' its the damned ocean!

Learn to embed videos in your posts, highlight text, and even post code!
sittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 02:47 PM   #7
pink_pants

pink_pants once jumped the English Channelpink_pants once jumped the English Channelpink_pants once jumped the English Channelpink_pants once jumped the English Channelpink_pants once jumped the English Channelpink_pants once jumped the English Channelpink_pants once jumped the English Channelpink_pants once jumped the English Channelpink_pants once jumped the English Channelpink_pants once jumped the English Channelpink_pants once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittal
I never heard an american (at least over here) call it 'the pond' its the damned ocean!
I've heard it used quite commonly by people in both countries.
Old May 23, 2006, 02:48 PM   #8
Kagtooth
Please, call me Kag

Quote:
Sure I was.

Old May 23, 2006, 02:49 PM   #9
demonic
Hallowed are the Ori

demonic is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I can agree, I have been to the US 7 times now and for long periods of stay. Its a commom phrase to use, across the pond.

Quote:
Sure I was.
Then you should know, it should have been taught at school. Perphaps you fell asleep in History?
demonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 02:50 PM   #10
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
I'll be damned... Never heard anyone say it where I live.

Learn to embed videos in your posts, highlight text, and even post code!
sittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 02:51 PM   #11
Alientank
Piss flaps

Alientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Hear it all the time here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saggypoo View Post
It's happening to Jupiter now? Usually there's objects constantly slamming against Uranus.
Alientank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 02:52 PM   #12
Aneska
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Aneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Its because you live in Oklahoma.

Old May 23, 2006, 02:53 PM   #13
Kagtooth
Please, call me Kag

Quote:
Then you should know, it should have been taught at school. Perphaps you fell asleep in History?
Nah, we were taught English history; Henry the 8th and his unfortunate wives...

Old May 23, 2006, 02:54 PM   #14
Aneska
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Aneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Nah, we were taught English history; Henry the 8th and his unfortunate wives...

Henry the 8th was a bad ass.
Old May 23, 2006, 02:57 PM   #15
Firestorm_ATI
Pass the ammunition

Firestorm_ATI is still being judged by the masses

We kicked England's butt in a war. We were the good guys and we won. That's about the short and long of it.

edit: Although originally most colonists merely wanted their rights as Englishmen.

Last edited by Firestorm_ATI : May 23, 2006 at 02:59 PM.
Firestorm_ATI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 02:58 PM   #16
Kagtooth
Please, call me Kag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm_ATI
We kicked England's butt in a war. We were the good guys and we won. That's about the short and long of it.
Yah but that's my question that nobody has seemed to answer...everyone was British, just living on opposite sides of the pond?

Old May 23, 2006, 02:59 PM   #17
Alientank
Piss flaps

Alientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

The war started because of me.

Quote:
It's happening to Jupiter now? Usually there's objects constantly slamming against Uranus.
Old May 23, 2006, 03:00 PM   #18
pink_pants

Kind of. The colonists had been living there for 2 generations so...
Old May 23, 2006, 03:02 PM   #19
Kagtooth
Please, call me Kag

Quote:
Right, thanks. 2 generations eh.. that's all I really wanted to know. I wonder what made the colonists/British desire indepenence from their own people...seems strange....but I will let google answer these questions.

Old May 23, 2006, 03:05 PM   #20
pink_pants

Quote:
Right, thanks. 2 generations eh.. that's all I really wanted to know. I wonder what made the colonists/British desire indepenence from their own people...seems strange....but I will let google answer these questions.
I think it is more like 100 years so I assumed that was like 2 generations but now I'm thinking it is probably more than that. I don't know how generations are classified
Old May 23, 2006, 03:06 PM   #21
Lunar Wolf
arr ye scurvy noobs!!1

Lunar Wolf is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm_ATI

edit: Although originally most colonists merely wanted their rights as Englishmen.
Actually we got tired of pwning your country so we gave it to you. There was never actually any war, it was just your 'John Wayne' making up a bit of propaganda to make you guys feel good and give you some pride. So there you have it the story of how the USA was privatised.
Lunar Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 03:18 PM   #22
PiIsExactly3
Aurabolt!

PiIsExactly3 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Yah but that's my question that nobody has seemed to answer...everyone was British, just living on opposite sides of the pond?
Its been about 10 years since I've had a history class, so this post will be pretty vague. I would guess the answer would be yes and no. The colonies had been around a couple hundred years, however they were British colonies, so I guess they were technically British. But yeah, they wanted the same rights that those in Britian had, and felt that they weren't being represented in the government. Things escilate, something about the Boston Tea Party, Boston Massacre, Colonists nearly get their assess handed to them, Washington turns things around, the French save our asses, and the colonies become America.

"For my money, there is nothing funnier than provoking idiots." -Tucker Max
PiIsExactly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 03:20 PM   #23
Chubz
Doomer

Chubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alientank
The war started because of me.
No, actually it was because baby Chuck Norris was born, and therefore the Americans began fighting the British over control of Chuck's homeland.
Old May 23, 2006, 03:39 PM   #24
Adanu
MRA in Residence

Adanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Wolf
pwning
You lost all credibility right there.
Adanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 03:41 PM   #25
Djinn
Rage3D Fixture

Djinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Way more than that. Depending on the culture, a generation is about 20-30 years. A generation is the number of years a newborn child will age before he/she is likely to reproduce.

- Robert Ingersoll (1833 - 1899)
Djinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 03:44 PM   #26
pink_pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djinn
Way more than that. Depending on the culture, a generation is about 20-30 years. A generation is the number of years a newborn child will age before he/she is likely to reproduce.
Thanks for the explanation! I tend to get confused and think of a generation as a lifetime.
Old May 23, 2006, 03:45 PM   #27
Alientank
Piss flaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynn
You lost all credibility right there.
Credibility? Quoth the pe.....nah not gonna say it.

Quote:
Old May 23, 2006, 03:45 PM   #28
Djinn
Rage3D Fixture

Djinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation! I tend to get confused and think of a generation as a lifetime.
Not unless you're planning on starting a family in your 80s.

- Robert Ingersoll (1833 - 1899)
Djinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 03:46 PM   #29
Chubz
Doomer

Chubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Wolf
Actually we got tired of pwning your country so we gave it to you. There was never actually any war, it was just your 'John Wayne' making up a bit of propaganda to make you guys feel good and give you some pride. So there you have it the story of how the USA was privatised.
Yes, you got tired of pwning us so you just decided to hand over what eventually became one of the most powerful nations in the world.

Our guerilla-style warfare at the time totally overwhelmed the British methods of fighting, if I remember correctly.
Old May 23, 2006, 03:50 PM   #30
Alientank
Piss flaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubz
Yes, you got tired of pwning us so you just decided to hand over what eventually became one of the most powerful nations in the world.

Our guerilla-style warfare at the time totally overwhelmed the British methods of fighting, if I remember correctly.
IIRC sniping began in the Revolution. The Americans used unusually long muskets and hid in the bush. Since it was kind of an unusual thing to expect at the time, many high level British officers died from the tactic.

Quote: