Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Sep 7, 2000, 10:58 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Viper_2000

Viper_2000 is still being judged by the masses

Question

I have called in at greytech about the radeon and they have many in stock, retail for 489 bucks which is good enuff for me...tell me something from all of you owners, are you impressed by this card, is it stunning in even speed and image quality compared to my tnt2 ultra, which was so good to me i just hope i will get the same if i choose the radeon

What do you guys think of your radeon, oh yea im getting the 64mb ddr vivo one to let you know.

should i honestly take this over a gts 2??
i have a p2 350 right now, i plan to get an 800 and stay with my bx board until ddr chipsets come out...will it work with my p2 350, since ill only be using it for like a day or 2 with that, but still shouldn't it?

please give me some opinions guys, thanks.
i was also thinkin of later just buying a tbird 900 with an abit kt7 raid, but will see.
Viper_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2000, 11:20 PM   #2
PeoplesChampion

Thumbs down

Err, your buying from GreyTech? That's where I bought my 32MB DDR. Good price/bad service.
You should wait and spend the extra $10 and buy it from FutureShop, when they get them. That's the mistake I made. If you change your mind and want a GTS card instead, you won't be able to at Greytech. Even if the card is defective and you want to exchange it, they will give you a hard time. They want you to get some approval # from ATI first. What a joke!?!? Once they have your money, they don't want anything to do with you. That extra $10 is well worth it as FutureShop will let you exchange or get full refund within 30days, no questions asked. Now thats service!
If you must get it now, either get it online with someone who has good policies or just wait. The 32MB price was less at Greytech than the rest of the GTA, but the 64MB one can be found cheaper. Signa has the Retail box for $449.
Old Sep 7, 2000, 11:33 PM   #3
PeoplesChampion

Thumbs down

oh yeah, Even if you don't open it you still can't return it. Exchange only. If you do want to return it, there is a 20% restock charge (opened or not). Again, WHAT A JOKE!!!

Anyways, my comments on the Radeon. Good OpenGL, some would say amazing D3D, I say its crap D3D. Amazing 2D (excellent colour/contrast). Shipping drivers were stable for me, but not for some others. I really want more performance, so I'm hoping for some Det3 like drivers to come out. But from what I've seen of all the 3 drivers so far is that ATI is concentrating on stablility right now and not performance (ironing out the bugs).
For me, so far it has been a disappointment, but for others it has been spectacular. I think it is because I really wanted performance, and this card doesn't deliver that (at least not compared to the GTS).
But how I feel now doesn't matter because I'm stuck with it anyway because of Greytech and they're crappy policies.
Dude, steer clear of them!
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 9, 2000, 08:17 PM   #4
MrB
drunk manslut

MrB is still being judged by the masses

You can also try pccanada at www.pccanada.com. They are located around lakeshore I believe.
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2000, 09:14 PM   #5
Jarrett
Radeon R420

Jarrett is still being judged by the masses

**NOTE** pccanada only carry OEM's.
Jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2000, 09:29 PM   #6
Chris Mac
Radeon R200

Chris Mac is still being judged by the masses

I just picked up a 32DDR Radeon to replace my v770 TNT 2 Ultra here are the before and after benchmarks in wintune

TNT2 Ultra 32MB Detonator drivers
Video(2D) 110.0495 MPixels/s
Direct3D 224.0658 MPixels/s
OpenGL 166.9364 MPixels/s

Radeon 32MB DDR 3056 drivers
Video(2D) 201.0964 MPixels/s
Direct3D 413.3754 MPixels/s
OpenGL 230.2609 MPixels/s
Chris Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2000, 09:31 PM   #7
Chris Mac
Radeon R200

Chris Mac is still being judged by the masses

BTW As you can see the radeon is almost twice as fast as the TNT 2 ULTRA in 2d and Direct 3d.

Chris
Chris Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2000, 09:51 PM   #8
Jarrett
Radeon R420

Jarrett is still being judged by the masses

...I sure hope so!
Jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2000, 10:51 PM   #9
Atarion
Rage3D Veteran

Atarion is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs up

I picked up a Radeon 64 VIVO OEM from pccanada.com and had no problems with it. It has the same 5.5ns memory as the retail and overclocks to retail speed no problem. Rock solid card with excellent speed and kick ass features, you'll enjoy it.
Atarion is offline   Reply With Quote