Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Jan 31, 2006, 04:36 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default GeForce 6xxx series vs. GeForce 7xxx series image quality differences?

Since the GeForce 7xxx is supposed to be a whole new series of GPUs developed from the ground up, does it have any noticeable image quality differences with let's say the 6xxx series? I'm not talking about anti-aliasing or anisotropic filterting quality -- just color rendering in general. I'd also like to know if a 300W PS is enough for either the 6800GS or 7800GT (most likely candidates for next vid card). Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 06:03 AM   #2
Pr()ZaC
Banned

Pr()ZaC is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

No.
Pr()ZaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 06:46 AM   #3
shabby
Super Adventure Club

shabby is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
Since the GeForce 7xxx is supposed to be a whole new series of GPUs developed from the ground up
Who told you that? The gf7 is basically a gf6 with more pipes and traa added, some tweaks to the pipeline and thats it.
shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 31, 2006, 07:06 AM   #4
hazindu
I put the zin in Hadu!!!

hazindu is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
I'd also like to know if a 300W PS is enough for either the 6800GS or 7800GT (most likely candidates for next vid card).
Is that a modern atx 2.0 or better psu from a respected maker such as antec, seasonic, or enermax? If so, it will probably be fine. Check and see how much power it offers on the +12volt rail\s.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 07:24 AM   #5
Vengeance
May 2, 1965 - April 21, 2008

Vengeance is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabby
Who told you that? The gf7 is basically a gf6 with more pipes and traa added, some tweaks to the pipeline and thats it.

Who told you that? The 7800 is brand new architecture.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_7800_faq.html

Q: Is GeForce 7800 GTX a new architecture?
Yes, GeForce 7800 is a revolutionary new architecture built from the ground up to deliver the world's best graphics performance.

Q: What is different in GeForce 7800 GTX when compared to 6800 Ultra?
GeForce 7800 GTX has brand new vertex, pixel and texture units when compared to the GeForce 6800 Ultra. Engineers at NVIDIA were able to pinpoint the key functions bottlenecking shading and graphics performance. By designing and enhancing these functions at the most fundamental level, NVIDIA has brought graphics performance to new levels in the GeForce 7800 GTX.

Q: What are key areas of improvement, as compared to 6800 Ultra?
There are a number of improvements in the GeForce 7800 GTX, including:

New vertex, pixel and texture engines
*The GeForce 7800 GTX has a 24 pipe architecture compared to a 16 pipe architecture of the 6800 Ultra
*The pipes are more efficient, resulting in a dramatic improvement in shader performance and programmability
*Increase in clock speeds
2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 @ 800mhz 4-4-4-12 1T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA2
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW
COOLER MASTER Stacker Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower
Westinghouse 22in wide screen LCD @ 1680x1050

Report a bug with the NVIDIA graphics driver.

Last edited by Vengeance : Jan 31, 2006 at 07:26 AM.
Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 10:29 AM   #6
Pr()ZaC
Banned

Pr()ZaC is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Besides corrected pipes and some extra features, there's no visible difference between both cards when you don't take into account AA.
Pr()ZaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 10:56 AM   #7
Medion
Retired

Medion is still being judged by the masses

For a 6800GS, you'll want a 300W PSU from a respectable company. For a 7800GT, you'll want a 350W PSU with at least 20A on the 12V rail(s). However, more companies are recommending 24-26A for the 7800GT (for the OC versions). Most I've seen an OC'ed 7800GT pull with a lot of devices was 22A.
Medion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 06:44 PM   #8
shabby
Super Adventure Club

shabby is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance
Who told you that? The 7800 is brand new architecture.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_7800_faq.html

Q: Is GeForce 7800 GTX a new architecture?
Yes, GeForce 7800 is a revolutionary new architecture built from the ground up to deliver the world's best graphics performance.

Q: What is different in GeForce 7800 GTX when compared to 6800 Ultra?
GeForce 7800 GTX has brand new vertex, pixel and texture units when compared to the GeForce 6800 Ultra. Engineers at NVIDIA were able to pinpoint the key functions bottlenecking shading and graphics performance. By designing and enhancing these functions at the most fundamental level, NVIDIA has brought graphics performance to new levels in the GeForce 7800 GTX.

Q: What are key areas of improvement, as compared to 6800 Ultra?
There are a number of improvements in the GeForce 7800 GTX, including:

New vertex, pixel and texture engines
*The GeForce 7800 GTX has a 24 pipe architecture compared to a 16 pipe architecture of the 6800 Ultra
*The pipes are more efficient, resulting in a dramatic improvement in shader performance and programmability
*Increase in clock speeds
The gf7 code name is nv47, its based on the nv40. Just like the x1900 is based on the x1800 but with more alu's. That doesnt mean the gf7 and x1900 are new from the ground up, just updated refresh parts.
You can believe what you want, but the gf7 should of been called the gf6 6900 rather then gf7 7800. Its far from a new architecture, the only new feature is traa. Kinda pathetic from a "revolutionary new architecture built from the ground up". The gf6 was new from the ground up.

Last edited by shabby : Jan 31, 2006 at 06:51 PM.
shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 07:48 PM   #9
Medion
Retired

Medion is still being judged by the masses

It's really hard to make a new product seem like anything but a refresh these days. All the work that went into making the GF7 series (TAA, overhauled pipelines, and getting the clock speeds up and still using less power) is unappreciated, because all the end-user sees is TAA.

If the GF7 was based on NV40, then that makes it an even larger technical achievement. There are 7800GT and GTX owners hitting near 500mhz core on air! The NV40 could barely hit 400mhz without issues.

We all know that R520 was a new carchitecture as well, but what did that add over R4x00? Angle-independend AF, SM3.0, and HDR, right?

Neither company is going to fully reinvent their product. It still has to offer legacy DX and OGL support. When they go and build something new from scratch, they may see all the bells and whistles that put in, but all the end user will see is one or two useful new features.
Medion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 09:54 AM   #10
ChrisRay
1983 - 2010

ChrisRay is still being judged by the masses

Well from a hardware to hardware perspective. The Geforce 6800 series has 2 ALUS per pipe. 1 ALU with full Mad/Mull Capabilities, And another ALU with Mul/Capabilities that shares texturing capabilities. The 7800 series has 2 ALUS per pipe. Both ALUS feature MAD/Mull capabilities with a mini ALU. 1 ALU still shares texturing capabilities. From a clock per clock and pipe per pipe perspective. The 7800 line will have 1.5 shader performance compared to the 6800 series due the extra MAD capabilities on the additional ALU.

--

|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.2 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 11:47 AM   #11
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

And from a complete average joe user perspective, here is what I think about Geforce 6 vs. Geforce 7 series.

Geforce 6 had severe problems with rendering HDR, Motion Blur and aliasing. It caused a fuzzy image everytime that I never got around to getting rid of. I had used a 9800 Pro, X800 XL and X800 XT PE at that time and they were noticeably sharper at all times compared to 6600GT and 6800GT I had.

Hello, 7800GTX and the IQ was noticeably sharper, HDR was not over bright, over exposed and bleeding colors and everything was just done right. IQ is better than X800 series cards I had used previously. And ofcourse the image never seems fuzzy like the 6800GT.

Just so you people do not single out this on a bad geforce card, I switched between 2 6800GTs and about 16 6600GTs in 2005 and all faced the same problem.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 12:55 PM   #12
gts007
Radeon Sea Islands

gts007 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop
IQ is better than X800 series cards I had used previously. And ofcourse the image never seems fuzzy like the 6800GT.
Radeon-loyal idiots are constantly ignoring this despite reports coming in from everywhere that 7800 IQ is excellent. I noticed a major difference as well coming from a 6800GT.

gts007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 04:10 PM   #13
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

I moved up to a 7800GT from a 6800GT and all settings being equal, the 7800GT gets the nod for slightly sharper textures, but the real benefit of the 7800GT's IQ advantage comes in when the settings are NOT equal. The 7800GT's higher performance allows use of much higher IQ settings at the same res or simply moving up to the next higher res with the same IQ settings as the 6800GT in most games.

Comparing the IQ my rig with the 7800GT gets versus customer rigs I work on regularly with X1800XL's and XT's, when the settings are equal, I'm hard pressed to tell the difference between them except the X1800's have slightly better standard AA quality, but the enhanced quality AA modes look a tiny bit better on the 7800's. Transparency SS AA gets the nod over Adaptive AA IMO. I've found I'd rather play at a slightly lower resolution if it allows TSAA to be used over a higher res with regular AA.

Last edited by moshpit : Feb 2, 2006 at 04:12 PM.
moshpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 08:25 PM   #14
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

What moshpit said. (1st paragraph at least, can't comment on 2nd)
Old Feb 3, 2006, 01:47 PM   #15
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Wow, JZL, your one of the few people I've seen in ages who have been a member here longer then me, hehehehe.
Old Feb 4, 2006, 03:04 PM   #16
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit
Wow, JZL, your one of the few people I've seen in ages who have been a member here longer then me, hehehehe.
Hmm.. so you didn't see my join date did you?

Anyway, thanks guys. It's really nice to know how the 7xxx is superior in about every single way. About the 7800GT though, don't know.. think I'd wait for the GeForce 7600. Really don't need such a fast video card for the games I play. Going to stick with a Leadtek 7300 GS for the time being.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 03:28 PM   #17
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Nope, didn't see your join date at all! Heheh, nice to see a few old timers around then. Back to your point on the 7600 versus getting a 7800GT, or the original question of even a 6800GS, I honestly think you'd really be better served for a longer time with the 7800GT. The difference between the upcoming 7600 versus the 6800GS is probably going to be nil, minus the Purevideo advantage the 7600 will enjoy. But the real downside to going with one of those mid range cards like the 6800GS or the 7600 when it hits is that within a year it'll be performing like the 6600GT does today in modern games. With a 7800GT, you'll get alot longer life out of it for that extra 100 bucks. I honestly expect that simply adding a second one to my existing one in about another 3 or so months will get me happily thru the next year and a half of upcoming games (not counting the small possability of an unexpected upsurge of DX10 Unified Shader games under Vista which would make current 7800's completely fall short, but this shouldn't happen for awhile as games are JUST starting to really pick up for SM 3.0 now).