Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:49 AM   #181
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
Yes, and to say it takes a beating is a understatement.
Darnit, I wanna Dreadnought then. The only way I wanna see a Doomsday Machine in the same space as me is if I'm on the bridge of a Kodiak class dread, and I don't think the game has those yet
Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:54 AM   #182
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I just want my cruiser, being stuck with the starter ship again sucks. >.<

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 09:14 AM   #183
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Sounds promising, thanks for the info, cant wait!
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:26 AM   #184
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

{0}Salamander{0} is still being judged by the masses

Not been following this at all but I kinda fancy taking part in the beta, any chance I can get involved?
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:41 PM   #185
lunat!c#

lunat!c# is still being judged by the masses

For a 2010 game, this is rather disappointing. (I gave it a shot though, multiple times).

* Graphics are way too dull, and simple. It is like everything is flat, with absolutely no depth.
* Animations.. do not exist? The AI moves around way to linear, that it becomes boring. It feels so scripted, that it is like they move from A to B, and then back to A. No freedom, whatsoever. Combat is wacked as well, since all my punches look exactly the same, like absolutely no variation.
* Way is the ship interior so freaking big? I feel like a goddamn midget walking around, and my char is 6'7".
* Storyline (from what I have seen).. well, I don't know. I love Sylars voice in-game, however something seems missing. Not sure if it is depth, or anything (since I am only that short in the story).

Don't give me that freaking "it is just a beta" / "its a mmo, they do not have crysis graphics" arguments, because those are irrelevant. Beta games are "almost" finished games, which this is not, clearly. They have about 2 weeks left before it goes gold, but sadly I do not see any improvements coming anytime soon. Maybe some stability/server patches, but game wise.. meh

For something as big as Star Trek, this looks and feels way too simple. A real shame, since I expected a lot from this.
lunat!c# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:54 PM   #186
Pirate Neilsouth
The undead have returned!

Pirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled with

Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:56 PM   #187
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Simple? You obviously haven't got past the start because this game is not simple. The first 10 levels are fairly cake walk compared to when you start to leave Federation space and git your first class tier ship.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Old Jan 13, 2010, 02:28 PM   #188
lunat!c#

lunat!c# is still being judged by the masses

I don't care about the levels. My simple statement was related to the graphics, which are way too outdated.
lunat!c# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 02:35 PM   #189
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunat!c# View Post
I don't care about the levels. My simple statement was related to the graphics, which are way too outdated.
They are a tad bland. I'll give ya that one. I'm not too impressed with the visuals either. But the gameplay is more then making up for it after the total lack of crew interaction that Eve has. I like STO for the feeling that when I take my boat out of space dock, I don't feel like I'm the only person on the ship.

Eve makes me crazy with that. You can be in a pod or a cruiser or even a battleship, and it doesn't matter, you're still by yourself. The boat is empty, totally. Nobody walking down it's corridors, nobody running the engineering section, nobody to give orders to or put on KP duty or anything. Peel those potatoes, darnit!
Old Jan 13, 2010, 03:24 PM   #190
buckshot23
Radeon Caribbean Islands

buckshot23 is still being judged by the masses

Anybody get AA working with an ati card. I have the 5850.
buckshot23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 03:30 PM   #191
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot23 View Post
Anybody get AA working with an ati card. I have the 5850.
Nope. Not even set in the CCC does it stick for this game yet. And this game is in desperate need of some AA luvin.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 03:31 PM   #192
buckshot23
Radeon Caribbean Islands

buckshot23 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
Nope. Not even set in the CCC does it stick for this game yet. And this game is in desperate need of some AA luvin.
Yes it is!
buckshot23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 03:35 PM   #193
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot23 View Post
Yes it is!
AA would go a long way towards offsetting some of the otherwise crappy visuals of this game. I know they were shooting for the largest common denominator for support, but the lack of time spent on graphics is a bit painful. Even Eve Online has better looking visuals, by a HUGE amount. Eve Online is at least relatively close to X3 The Reunion in graphics, while STO isn't even as detailed as X2.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 03:49 PM   #194
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Star Wars: The Old Republic will **** all over this game.

Just kidding, but Star Wars is overall the better story.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 03:55 PM   #195
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Star Wars: The Old Republic will **** all over this game.

Just kidding, but Star Wars is overall the better story.
Don't start the whole "Star Wars versus Star Trek" debate, that ALWAYS goes south fast. We all know the Enterprise classic was more then a match for any Star Destroyer, the Enterprise A could eat the Death Star's lunch, and the Enterprise E could take out the whole bloody Empire in a single afternoon

Edit: Point WHAT past light speed, Han? We're talking warp speed here, Warp 2 is already something like 4 times the speed of light.

Edit #2: And "A galaxy far, far, away"??? It must be a TINY galaxy then. If your smugglers are bragging about how many points past light speed their freighters can fly, and it's not taking centuries to get from Coruscant near the center to Tatooine at the edge, then DAMN it's a tiny galaxy they lived in. So does that mean their whole galaxy just a light year or two across? Talk about one cluster-frak of stars!

Last edited by moshpit : Jan 13, 2010 at 04:05 PM.
moshpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 03:56 PM   #196
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

In your opinion, which is only that.

Old Jan 13, 2010, 03:59 PM   #197
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Hah.

So how good is this game? I seen some Screenshots and imo was not very impressed.

Overall Star Wars: The Old Republics has been getting much more in terms of previews. I'm really looking forward to that game but if this is good I will consider it, even though I'm not a very big Star Trek fan.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 03:59 PM   #198
bounty_hunter
Radeon Arctic Islands

bounty_hunter is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Yes and yes, you do leave the ship quite a bit. Away team missions and starbases have you running around outside of your ship.
and space battles too? sounds ****ing awesome

system sepcs: Ultra X-Finity 500W ATX PS w/2 80mm Fans-Athlon-64 3400+ - GigaByte K8NS nForce-3 250 Chipset- ATI Radeon X800-Pro 256MB-Western Digital 200 GB 7200 RPM-dvd 16x-sony dvd rw dw-d22a
once in the 70's i tried boy scout cookies, they tasted weird and confusing. -logen
bounty_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 04:09 PM   #199
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

I do have to say about STO, I love the representation of warp space as a huge grid with solar systems seperated by appropriate light year distances that have to be traversed to get where your going. Coming and going from Solar Systems is also well done IMO.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 04:16 PM   #200
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Hah.

So how good is this game? I seen some Screenshots and imo was not very impressed.

Overall Star Wars: The Old Republics has been getting much more in terms of previews. I'm really looking forward to that game but if this is good I will consider it, even though I'm not a very big Star Trek fan.
It's actually pretty good now that the worst of the offending connect bugs are worked out. The poor graphics are actually not as much of a deterrent as I thought they'd be, the gameplay so far has more then made up for them.

And I disagree with Baron on one point. You don't have to wait till later in game to get a VERY tactical feel to ship to ship combat. You just have to think "corvette/destroyer" level tactics is all, and you can get some GREAT combat moves out of the starter ship. As was said somewhere in the STO forums, "a smaller ship with a better crew will often be more effective then a larger ship with a less seasoned crew".

This is most telling when you can reasonably take on a battleship class craft in what amounts to be little more then a glorified destroyer and have an expectation of winning the engagement in a believable manner.

Rotating shield power, changing facings and speeds for specific manuevers, weapons type and fire patterns, everything works together into a very tactical dance with enemy ships. As I said, the crappy graphics are forgivable for that reason alone IMO.

Edit: A point that has truly addicted me to STO in a way Eve has failed to do. I've had my ship actually blown up twice around me in STO. That's a big deal, I'm extremely cautious in space games, approaching them as if I have a crew to protect onboard. In Eve Online, that caution has over paid off. As in, if you play your cards right and cautiously enough in Eve, you'll never die. The chances of being totally caught off guard are slim to none if your ALWAYS paranoid to begin with. But in STO, it just didn't matter, I STILL had my butt handed to me by a fleet of Klingon ships warping in right on top of me. I haven't had that much fun in 3 months of playing Eve yet. Getting stomped like that was GREAT! I totally didn't expect it.

Last edited by moshpit : Jan 13, 2010 at 04:23 PM.
moshpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 04:28 PM   #201
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

{0}Salamander{0} is still being judged by the masses

Ah well, it seems all the keys are gone already, oh well.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 04:31 PM   #202
Debello
Not built for speed

Debello is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by {0}Salamander{0} View Post
PMed you a key, if you don't want it pass it along.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 04:31 PM   #203
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by {0}Salamander{0} View Post
I pre-ordered through Steam for my key. Those should still be available.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 04:58 PM   #204
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Quote:
It's actually pretty good now that the worst of the offending connect bugs are worked out. The poor graphics are actually not as much of a deterrent as I thought they'd be, the gameplay so far has more then made up for them.

And I disagree with Baron on one point. You don't have to wait till later in game to get a VERY tactical feel to ship to ship combat. You just have to think "corvette/destroyer" level tactics is all, and you can get some GREAT combat moves out of the starter ship. As was said somewhere in the STO forums, "a smaller ship with a better crew will often be more effective then a larger ship with a less seasoned crew".

This is most telling when you can reasonably take on a battleship class craft in what amounts to be little more then a glorified destroyer and have an expectation of winning the engagement in a believable manner.

Rotating shield power, changing facings and speeds for specific manuevers, weapons type and fire patterns, everything works together into a very tactical dance with enemy ships. As I said, the crappy graphics are forgivable for that reason alone IMO.

Edit: A point that has truly addicted me to STO in a way Eve has failed to do. I've had my ship actually blown up twice around me in STO. That's a big deal, I'm extremely cautious in space games, approaching them as if I have a crew to protect onboard. In Eve Online, that caution has over paid off. As in, if you play your cards right and cautiously enough in Eve, you'll never die. The chances of being totally caught off guard are slim to none if your ALWAYS paranoid to begin with. But in STO, it just didn't matter, I STILL had my butt handed to me by a fleet of Klingon ships warping in right on top of me. I haven't had that much fun in 3 months of playing Eve yet. Getting stomped like that was GREAT! I totally didn't expect it.
I didn't say it's not tactical, but the whole game is changed once you get your tier ship, and what you're used to is thrown out of the window.

Old Jan 13, 2010, 05:13 PM   #205
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
I pre-ordered through Steam for my key. Those should still be available.
does a steam preorder give you acces to the beta download through steam?
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 05:19 PM   #206
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaStar View Post
does a steam preorder give you acces to the beta download through steam?
Yup. Took me all of 45 minutes to download.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 05:20 PM   #207
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
I didn't say it's not tactical, but the whole game is changed once you get your tier ship, and what you're used to is thrown out of the window.
Thrown out the window as in never used again? That's kinda sad. I'm quite attached to my little boat now.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:22 PM   #208
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

One thing I'm kind of worried about is if you don't get the preorder bonuses you'll end up being gimped in the game. They have bonuses to armor and damage and such. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:28 PM   #209
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
One thing I'm kind of worried about is if you don't get the preorder bonuses you'll end up being gimped in the game. They have bonuses to armor and damage and such. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
i haven't played the game yet but in general, i really doubt that bonus items will make a significant difference in an mmo (especially if you plan to play it for a while). you can probably manage just fine without them. on the other hand, if you're absolutely sure to buy the game, then you might as well preorder right?
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:44 PM   #210
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post
i haven't played the game yet but in general, i really doubt that bonus items will make a significant difference in an mmo (especially if you plan to play it for a while). you can probably manage just fine without them. on the other hand, if you're absolutely sure to buy the game, then you might as well preorder right?
Yeah, but it's a real mess. Check this out: http://www.startrekonline.com/retail

Basically if you pre-order from Amazon.com you get the Borg Bridge Officer. If you pre-order from Steam you get Chromodynamic Armor.

Then there are different editions, like the Digital Deluxe Edition from Steam gives you the original Star Trek uniform set (which I couldn't care less about as that is by far the worst uniform in any series), some emotes (which again don't really matter), the ability to have an NX prefix (sort of interesting but not convinced it's worth $10), and the Automated Defense Battery which gives you a 360 degree firing arc on your ship, but only with a short range.

Meanwhile if you get the Atari Digital Deluxe Edition you get that crap, plus you can be a "Joined Trill", which gives you bonuses because your symbiote has several life times of experience. And also gives you 500 Cryptic Points to buy stuff to customize your uniforms, etc.

But then there's the Atari Collector's Edition that gives you the Red Matter Capacitor which gives you an energy boost, and also includes the TNG uniforms and the DS9 uniforms, but none of the Digital Deluxe stuff. And neither the Atari nor the Steam purchases give you the Borg Bridge Officer.

In the FAQ it says if you buy multiple different copies you can get more bonuses. As if I'm going to spend another $50 to get another bonus item.

There's more stuff than that too, there's just too much for me to practically list in one post.

I mean, I guess it may be kind of interesting that some ships have a Borg Bridge Officer and some ships have an NX prefix, and some ships have Chromodynamic Armor, while others have the TR116 Rifle, and others have the Multi-Spatial Personal Shield, but if any of those are really effective then it could suck not to have them.

Last edited by Nagorak : Jan 13, 2010 at 10:57 PM.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote