Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Jan 7, 2010, 06:51 AM   #121
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

Ah, ok, i see. Sounds interesting, hmm..

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked."

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 07:00 AM   #122
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
That's why everything is instanced, and missions are all instanced, so either you play solo in a mission, or you can play with a group. Mission difficulty scales with the amount of players on the team.

I know some people don't like instances but for a game like this it's really needed.
does that make it like guild wars?
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 07:03 AM   #123
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post
does that make it like guild wars?
No guild wars, you only see people in towns, in STO you see people in everything but the episode zones.

Basically it's more like AOC than guild wars, basically each area has a popluation cap, if the cap isn't reach there is no instances, but if there's too many people a new instance will be created.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 7, 2010, 07:03 AM   #124
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

Hehe, that was my first thought too. Streaming media/content would be nice.

What are the REAL hardware requirements? I mean not the sh*t they print on the box.

"Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked."

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 09:16 AM   #125
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
What are the REAL hardware requirements? I mean not the sh*t they print on the box.
With your rig I don't think you have anything to worry about.
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 08:44 AM   #126
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

For those in the beta, can you name your ships, or is it just named after your in-game name?
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 09:13 AM   #127
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
For those in the beta, can you name your ships, or is it just named after your in-game name?
You can name your ships, and the name will also be on the ship it self.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:21 AM   #128
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

So this is an MMO that one can play Solo? No group needed?
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:15 PM   #129
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisberg View Post
So this is an MMO that one can play Solo? No group needed?
You can play all except fleet actions solo.

The game scales to difficulty, the more people in the team the harder the mission will be. Otherwise you can solo the entire game.

Infact in solo gameplay, you can even pause the game for up to 45 seconds lol.

Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:27 PM   #130
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Star Trek the motion picture was a travesty of a movie
Now I feel like a geek. I actually liked The Motion Picture. But then, I'm such a sad geek, I liked everything Star Trek that's been on the screen, even Enterprise, knowing full well the liberties they took with the history. Maybe I'm too forgiving.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:35 PM   #131
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
Now I feel like a geek. I actually liked The Motion Picture. But then, I'm such a sad geek, I liked everything Star Trek that's been on the screen, even Enterprise, knowing full well the liberties they took with the history. Maybe I'm too forgiving.
If I ever have to look at Scott Bacula's face and hear him whine for an extended period again, I swear I will scream and kill something.
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:42 PM   #132
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android1 View Post
If I ever have to look at Scott Bacula's face and hear him whine for an extended period again, I swear I will scream and kill something.

KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 06:27 AM   #133
SkullE_again
Rage3D Veteran

SkullE_again is still being judged by the masses

Open beta starts today at 3pm EST.

will let you know in a few days how it is.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 06:43 AM   #134
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

you can get beta keys at this site (after registration)

http://www.tentonhammer.com/giveaways/sto_beta

just tried it and it worked for me
Old Jan 12, 2010, 07:35 AM   #135
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

They're already out of keys!
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 07:38 AM   #136
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

that was quick . i managed to activate my key and now i'm struggling with the public torrent for the client (700 seeds 6000 leechers)

edit - fileplanet is giving out keys to subscribers as well - http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/star-trek-online/

Last edited by spindoctor : Jan 12, 2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 07:57 AM   #137
Encyclopedia_b
Purveyor of OFN

Encyclopedia_b is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
i also loved the first one, but i didnt like the 4th one at all.

huge fan of next generation, not so much of deep space nine.

absolutely loved the new movie.

i usually say star trek is chess while star wars is checkers
Encyclopedia_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 08:55 AM   #138
Debello
Not built for speed

Debello is still being judged by the masses

Played in the closed beta and really looking forward to the open beta.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 08:56 AM   #139
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
that was quick . i managed to activate my key and now i'm struggling with the public torrent for the client (700 seeds 6000 leechers)

edit - fileplanet is giving out keys to subscribers as well - http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/star-trek-online/
You always manage to mooch off before its over
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 09:56 AM   #140
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaStar View Post
You always manage to mooch off before its over
Old Jan 12, 2010, 12:53 PM   #141
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Well, I'm not sure this is going to pull me away from Eve Online. Just finished playing a bit of the open beta and I'm only semi-impressed so far. I do know the graphics are REALLY poor. Eve blows it out of the water in just pure game eye candy factor. I think I do like combat better though, but still deciding on that one.

I do know I like the ships alot better in Star Trek Online. But that's mainly a familiarization thing more then anything else, I'm very familiar with the Star Trek universe ships.

I got to spend all of 15 minutes playing before the server bumped me off. They have ALOT of work to do on this one before it's ready for prime time.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 01:39 PM   #142
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Wow. Cannot even get very far without server kicks. They really have a ton more work to do. But that's okay. This kinda thing is going to be expected with a new game launch.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 01:40 PM   #143
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

You got that impression from 15 mins? Show me one MMO that was semi popular that can hold a server stress from just opening it's server to a new audience.

Star Trek Online and EVE are nothing alike at all, in any way what so ever, if it was I wouldn't be playing it for one.

Old Jan 12, 2010, 01:55 PM   #144
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

fileplanet is now giving out beta keys to any registered user (not just paying subscribers)...

http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/star-trek-online/
Old Jan 12, 2010, 02:10 PM   #145
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
You got that impression from 15 mins? Show me one MMO that was semi popular that can hold a server stress from just opening it's server to a new audience.

Star Trek Online and EVE are nothing alike at all, in any way what so ever, if it was I wouldn't be playing it for one.
More like 30 minutes

I like where STO is going, don't get my post wrong. I'm just saying it's having the expected growing pains. Almost an obvious comment, I know, but also kinda a heads up so people don't jump in expecting a smooth ride and start berating it like some on the STO forums are trying to do.

But I also like Eve Online. But after so many years to refine the game, Eve holds it's maturity up very well, offering improved graphics every couple of years to keep up with some advances. I don't foresee STO doing that.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 04:07 PM   #146
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post

I knew someone was going to post a photo.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 04:28 PM   #147
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

Old Jan 12, 2010, 05:04 PM   #148
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Quote:
They are all gone now.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 05:22 PM   #149
lunat!c#

lunat!c# is still being judged by the masses

Tried it for a few seconds, but the graphics are not what I expected it to be. Performance is alright (maxed out AA/AF) but still, it is missing something.

Quit for today, because the servers are overloaded since it wont let me join any maps no longer.
lunat!c# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 05:39 PM   #150
fryjs
Rage3D Veteran

fryjs is still being judged by the masses

Fileplanet still seems to be giving them out, just got one (just registered, non-paying)