Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Aug 12, 2018, 01:47 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Lurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default video card question

can't change platform right now, so on my fx8350 system would it be a stupid thing to do going from an 8Gb 390X to an RX 580?
most resources on the net qualify this a side-grade, to put it mildly.
opinions, experiences?

cheers
Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2018, 02:14 PM   #2
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Southern Islands

NWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
can't change platform right now, so on my fx8350 system would it be a stupid thing to do going from an 8Gb 390X to an RX 580?
most resources on the net qualify this a side-grade, to put it mildly.
opinions, experiences?

cheers
It is a side grade, or slight down grade to go from 390x to the 580, as the 390x pulls ahead in most games by a few fps, or at least that was the case a year ago. I know the 390x runs very hot and is power hungry, and i am not sure about the 580 as i didn't really care about those areas when i looked into it. So if the 580 is coolerr and draws less power, and that is important to you, then that would be the only good reason to switch
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2018, 02:36 PM   #3
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Lurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

thanks.
yeah, power consumption and heat would probably be the only reason to switch cards as the 580 is more efficient in both respects, but since I'm not worried about those issues I'll hold it off for the time being.
Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 13, 2018, 07:46 AM   #4
Hardwood
Radeon Evergreen

Hardwood is still being judged by the masses

I'll have to mostly agree with the others.
I went from dead 290x to rx 580. 3dMark results are consistently about 10% higher with a significant drop in temp and power use.
<---Computer #1 in System Specs Button

Computer #2) MSI A88X-G45, AMD A10-7850K, IGP, AMD 2x4GB 2133 Ram (R938G2130U1K), Antec 750w True, 128GB Sandisk SSD, 1TB WD Black, Win 10pro x64
Computer#3) GA-MA790FX, AMD 955, Thermaltake 550w, ASUS HD5870, Win10pro x86
Hardwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2018, 09:31 PM   #5
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue once held a door open for a complete strangerASCI Blue once held a door open for a complete strangerASCI Blue once held a door open for a complete strangerASCI Blue once held a door open for a complete stranger

I went from a 290x to a 570. In modern games the 570 performs as well if not a little better.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote