Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Apr 28, 2017, 07:53 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Default Progressive car insurance dropping me

I got a notice today that Progressive will not be renewing my policy this June.
No; not because of losing a Dish Network van over the side of the mountain 4 years ago

but because I used road side assistance 4 times in 3 years, for the total of $350. That is right, paying them about $10,000 over the last 10 years and they had to pay $350 in that 10 years and they consider me a high risk.
I qualified for major accident forgiveness, how much does a major accident usually cost? several thousands dollars? and they lose their minds over $350?

Anyways, no biggie, I'll just get a new insurance.

But this whole thing is so laughable
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2017, 07:57 PM   #2
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisberg View Post
I got a notice today that Progressive will not be renewing my policy this June.
No; not because of losing a Dish Network van over the side of the mountain 4 years ago

but because I used road side assistance 4 times in 3 years, for the total of $350. That is right, paying them about $10,000 over the last 10 years and they had to pay $350 in that 10 years and they consider me a high risk.
I qualified for major accident forgiveness, how much does a major accident usually cost? several thousands dollars? and they lose their minds over $350?

Anyways, no biggie, I'll just get a new insurance.

But this whole thing is so laughable
Yes, but what did you use the roadside assistance for? It's probably some BS reason; most insurers are full of crap, and I've had my headaches with pet insurance with clients to the point where I don't even recommend it any more. Pity you can't really do that with cars.
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2017, 08:17 PM   #3
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieBloke View Post
Yes, but what did you use the roadside assistance for? It's probably some BS reason; most insurers are full of crap, and I've had my headaches with pet insurance with clients to the point where I don't even recommend it any more. Pity you can't really do that with cars.
1x tow to a repair show that was about 3 miles away.
2x battery jumps
1x change flat tire (not for me, for my wife and I was at work and couldn't do it for her)
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 28, 2017, 09:19 PM   #4
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

DeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

AAA might be a better choice for the roadside stuff over an auto insurance company.
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Fractal Design Celsius S24 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | 2 x 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (14-14-14-34) B-Die | MSI GTX 1070Ti GAMING 8G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Corsair MP510 480GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 10 Pro | 1920x1080 w/ 48" LCD TV
HT: Vizio E48-C2 48" LED Backlit LCD TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead
DeathKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2017, 09:26 PM   #5
blackberryphone
Radeon R300

blackberryphone is still being judged by the masses

Old Apr 28, 2017, 09:37 PM   #6
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

jimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight View Post
AAA might be a better choice for the roadside stuff over an auto insurance company.
I was going to say the same thing. Might be better that way if they're going to be all teenage-drama queen about it. I've had nothing but good experiences with AAA in the past, including towing, battery replacement, etc.

Quote:
Depends on what qualifies as a major accident, but I'll consider it a case where the car can't be driven and needs to be in a shop for repairs before it can be.

Last year I was in an accident (not at all my fault, proven legally and all that), wherein the right front corner of my car was bashed in. Tire/wheel/suspension tweaked, light smashed, fender smashed, etc. I was able to limp it off the highway at the exit ramp, which thankfully was immediately in front of me. Also no injuries, again thankfully. Took about three weeks in the shop, and ended up being around $6,500 total costs. The car is fine now, and you'd never know I was in a wreck. But my insurance company sued theirs and won back their costs, and reimbursed me my deductible. However, it was months in litigation before it was won, so I wonder how much they payed their lawyers, versus what they got out of it.

I've had two accidents like that (only one went to court; the other was my fault...), plus a couple of speeding tickets while with this company, and they still haven't dropped me. They've never threatened to drop me. Well, not yet anyway...
jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2017, 09:59 PM   #7
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboy View Post

I've had two accidents like that (only one went to court; the other was my fault...), plus a couple of speeding tickets while with this company, and they still haven't dropped me. They've never threatened to drop me. Well, not yet anyway...
And that is what is so funny about all of this. You have 2 accidents and speeding tickets and your insurance does not drop you. I have 4 roadside assistance for a total of about $350 over 3 years, no accidents and no tickets and I get dropped. It is so bizarre that it is funny.

I will look into AAA though, might be worth it.
Quote:
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:00 PM   #8
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Wow, good to know. My dad & brother have progressive and my brother didn't renew his AAA because he has Progressive' roadside assistance. Guess I should probably give him a heads up.
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 512GB Intel 660p | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
HTPC - Fractal Design Define R4 | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Intel Core i5 3570K | Antec Kuhler 620 | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 | 128GB Intel 330 SSD | 16x Lite-On DVD-R/RW | eVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair CX750M | Westinghouse 50" 1080P | Windows 10 Pro
File Server - NZXT Classic Series Source 210 | ASRock 970A-G/3.1 | AMD FX-8320E Black Edition | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1333 | 128GB Samsung 830 | 4x2TB HGST UlstraStar | Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 | Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W | Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
I play a medic in TF2 so I think I know a little bit about diagnosing disease. Plus I watched a lot of House.
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:41 PM   #9
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

There's a reason I maintain an RAC roadside assist on top of my regular car insurance. So my insurance can't screw me over for little things.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:58 PM   #10
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieBloke View Post
There's a reason I maintain an RAC roadside assist on top of my regular car insurance. So my insurance can't screw me over for little things.
RAC the equivalent to AAA in the US?
Quote:
Old Apr 29, 2017, 01:30 AM   #11
SD-[Inc]
Butt-hurt Liberal

SD-[Inc] can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySD-[Inc] can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySD-[Inc] can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Soon your health insurer will be able to treat you the same way.
SD-[Inc] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2017, 02:34 AM   #12
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

Quote:
RAC the equivalent to AAA in the US?
Yep. Road-side assistance. I've only used mine maybe three times in 10 years.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 07:57 AM   #13
Tyr-Sog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Tyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete strangerTyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete strangerTyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete stranger

Car insurance is a total racket and needs some major oversight from our useless(in the pockets of said insurance racket) politicians.

I'm 40, drive a 2014 grand caravan sxt, clean record, great credit(because now the use credit to screw people over) and I get butt raped in my premiums by AAA. Who I've been with for 15 years now btw.
I made my first claim 2 months ago hitting a parked car. My car just has a small scrape and the car i backed in to $1300 in damages. It's considered property damage and if I don't claim my van there's no deductible. So that's what I did.
During my conversation with my agent with the claim, she's already priming me for the rate increase. I asked her if she knew how much and she was able to. She tells me roughly $360. I was thinking to myself, holy crap that's a lot and I blurted out "a year"? She says no, every six months.
Are you F'ing kidding me!!?? First claim and I'm raked over the coals?
All car insurance is for is catastrophic events. Otherwise the outrageous yearly premium is nothing more than allowing for an extension of credit(claim) you'll most like replay 3 times over the coarse of a few years after they hike the rate up.

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5 G1 - nVidia Zotac Amp gtx 1080 - Samsung EVO 850 SSD - Intel I5 6600K - crucial 16GB DDR4 - Intel 240ssd5 & WD 1TB 7200rpm - corsair 750ps -
- corsair spec alpha carbide series case - corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB MX keyboard - Logitech G502 - Sennheiser G4ME One Headset

MSI GE62 Apache Pro Gaming Laptop - nVidia 970m - Intel I7 5700 - 16GB DDR3 - 128ssd & 1TB 7200rpm

XBone - TyrSog76
PSN - - Tyr-Sog_
Steam - Tyr-Sog

Last edited by Tyr-Sog : Apr 29, 2017 at 08:05 AM.
Tyr-Sog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2017, 08:12 AM   #14
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Insurance is complete bullshit. The entire system needs to be redone from the ground up, but it'll never happen because the amount of money they rake in is mind-boggling.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2017, 09:31 AM   #15
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

AAA is the best for this sort of thing. I keep AAA even though I have roadside on my USAA.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2017, 09:48 AM   #16
bittermann
I didn't do it

bittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

It's because you were using your Insurance as roadside assistance coverage. Most Insurance companies won't put up with that. Not saying it's right but just keep that in mind for next time. Chances are you can find better coverage elsewhere. I have an Insurance agent I call to see beforehand whether I should process a claim or not if it's an iffy or lower cost situation.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 10:12 AM   #17
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittermann View Post
It's because you were using your Insurance as roadside assistance coverage. Most Insurance companies won't put up with that. Not saying it's right but just keep that in mind for next time. Chances are you can find better coverage elsewhere. I have an Insurance agent I call to see beforehand whether I should process a claim or not if it's an iffy or lower cost situation.
It's still a crappy situation, paying for roadside assistance and then getting punished for having to use it.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2017, 10:17 AM   #18
Higgy10

Higgy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
It's still a crappy situation, paying for roadside assistance and then getting punished for having to use it.
Sounds like thats there plan tbh. Ive used caa since high school and have never bothered with any other roadside. Not even sure if my insurance company offers it lol, broker never tried to upsell it either
CFX 290
Acer Predator x34 21:9
Intel x25-m 80gb ssd and 500gb SSD
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Higgy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2017, 10:50 AM   #19
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

jimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badges

And yet we are, by law, required to buy insurance. And cars are very complicated plastic machines that get destroyed easily, and require expensive work to put them back together again.
jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:19 AM   #20
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

AAA ftw
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:25 AM   #21
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
So, if you are paying for road side assistance as I do, as part of my state farm insurance plan, you are not supposed to use it? That doesn't make sense.

That's like saying you pay for AAA, and AAA won't put up with you using it. In both situations, you are paying for the same service, but only one will allow you to use the service that you pay for.

I personally would turn them into the insurance commissioner because road side assistance is not insurance, it is a service.: https://eapps.naic.org/cis/fileComplaintMap.do

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!

Last edited by NWR_Midnight : Apr 29, 2017 at 11:40 AM.
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:32 AM   #22
bittermann
I didn't do it

bittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWR_Midnight View Post
So, if you are paying for road side assistance as I do, as part of my state farm insurance plan, you are not supposed to use it? That doesn't make sense.

That's like saying you pay for AAA, and AAA won't put up with you using it. In both situations, you are paying for the same service, but only one will allow you to use the service that you pay for.

I personally would turn them into the insurance commissioner because road side assistance is not insurance, it is a service.: https://eapps.naic.org/cis/fileComplaintMap.do
Mybad, I didn't read the whole thing. I was unaware he paid for road side assistance as well with the Insurance. I re-read his post. Then I agree it was crappy.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 12:46 PM   #23
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

DeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWR_Midnight View Post
because road side assistance is not insurance, it is a service.
But it paints a picture, at least in the insurance company's eyes, that the vehicle is "unreliable" or more of a "risk" for whatever reason. The algorithms, criteria or whatever voodoo that insurance companies use to determine the stuff they do can be wonky. It might be a service but it's still going through the insurance company and they have the discretion to insure you or not at the end of the day. This is why it's better to go through a third party like AAA who specializes in roadside service.
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Fractal Design Celsius S24 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | 2 x 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (14-14-14-34) B-Die | MSI GTX 1070Ti GAMING 8G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Corsair MP510 480GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 10 Pro | 1920x1080 w/ 48" LCD TV
HT: Vizio E48-C2 48" LED Backlit LCD TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead
DeathKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2017, 01:22 PM   #24
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Insurance is complete bullshit. The entire system needs to be redone from the ground up, but it'll never happen because the amount of money they rake in is mind-boggling.
In Missouri, at least liability coverage is mandated by law. it's a low level traffic misdemeanor to drive without it. Most other states have this? We've had this for decades now, all of my adult life. Of course we try to make something even more important, like health insurance, mandatory and peeps go batty.

Quote:
But it paints a picture, at least in the insurance company's eyes, that the vehicle is "unreliable" or more of a "risk" for whatever reason.
Or that the vehicles are not being cared for, plus there's the risk of being way-layed by oncoming traffic.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 03:25 PM   #25
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
But it paints a picture, at least in the insurance company's eyes, that the vehicle is "unreliable" or more of a "risk" for whatever reason. The algorithms, criteria or whatever voodoo that insurance companies use to determine the stuff they do can be wonky. It might be a service but it's still going through the insurance company and they have the discretion to insure you or not at the end of the day. This is why it's better to go through a third party like AAA who specializes in roadside service.
This is why people need to start making complaints to the insurance commissioner and actually to the AG as well. A flat tire, a dead a battery are zero signs of "unreliable" or "high risk" (You are risk of getting a flat tire in a brand new car just as easily as you are in an old car with new tires, etc). You are paying for a service, not insurance against it happening when you pay for road side assistance.

Just like any other service you pay for in life, if it is utilized to the point that it becomes unprofitable for the business, then you re-evaluate the pricing or discontinue that service with the customer, but to drop their auto insurance because of it is out of line because one has zero to do with the other.

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2017, 04:25 PM   #26
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr-Sog View Post
Car insurance is a total racket and needs some major oversight from our useless(in the pockets of said insurance racket) politicians.

I'm 40, drive a 2014 grand caravan sxt, clean record, great credit(because now the use credit to screw people over) and I get butt raped in my premiums by AAA. Who I've been with for 15 years now btw.
I made my first claim 2 months ago hitting a parked car. My car just has a small scrape and the car i backed in to $1300 in damages. It's considered property damage and if I don't claim my van there's no deductible. So that's what I did.
During my conversation with my agent with the claim, she's already priming me for the rate increase. I asked her if she knew how much and she was able to. She tells me roughly $360. I was thinking to myself, holy crap that's a lot and I blurted out "a year"? She says no, every six months.
Are you F'ing kidding me!!?? First claim and I'm raked over the coals?
All car insurance is for is catastrophic events. Otherwise the outrageous yearly premium is nothing more than allowing for an extension of credit(claim) you'll most like replay 3 times over the coarse of a few years after they hike the rate up.
My dad switched insurance companies after 20+ years because they wnated to raise his rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
My gf and I's insurance increased every renewal for 2yrs despite the fact we had no accidents, tickets, or claims. Then out of nowhere it started decreasing substantially every renewal to the point that when she passed away the rate was half of what it was when we started with Progressive.

Quote:
2 dead batteries, 1 flat tire, and 1 tow doesn't equal any type of picture, it's just an excuse.
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 512GB Intel 660p | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
HTPC - Fractal Design Define R4 | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Intel Core i5 3570K | Antec Kuhler 620 | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 | 128GB Intel 330 SSD | 16x Lite-On DVD-R/RW | eVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair CX750M | Westinghouse 50" 1080P | Windows 10 Pro
File Server - NZXT Classic Series Source 210 | ASRock 970A-G/3.1 | AMD FX-8320E Black Edition | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1333 | 128GB Samsung 830 | 4x2TB HGST UlstraStar | Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 | Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W | Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
I play a medic in TF2 so I think I know a little bit about diagnosing disease. Plus I watched a lot of House.
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2017, 06:16 PM   #27
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Quote:
Mybad, I didn't read the whole thing. I was unaware he paid for road side assistance as well with the Insurance. I re-read his post. Then I agree it was crappy.
Yeah, I paid extra for the road side assistance service.

So I looked into AAA and I'll be going with them instead of my next insurance company. I might go with Allstate for car insurance since my renter's insurance is with them already, might get a discount, but I am going to shop around still.
Quote:
Old Apr 29, 2017, 07:08 PM   #28
Jay20016
Truth Doesn't Make Fact

Jay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Yeah, I paid extra for the road side assistance service.

So I looked into AAA and I'll be going with them instead of my next insurance company. I might go with Allstate for car insurance since my renter's insurance is with them already, might get a discount, but I am going to shop around still.
Have a bundled car/house insurance thing through All-State and don't have any complaints. Though, my parents have known our agent for about as long as I've been alive, so your mileage may vary.

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."
Jay20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2017, 08:56 AM   #29
DiaperJe|\|i3
Proud Papa

DiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Just a heads up... about 15 years ago my insurance premium doubled because my insurer dropped me. I claimed an accident where I backed into something. Intact Insurance if anyone is wondering. Took me 5 years of clean driving to get it back. Insurance is great till you have to use it.
DiaperJe|\|i3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2017, 09:33 AM   #30
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

We have USAA auto and home insurance. The only time they raised our rates due to a claim was about 20 years ago when my wife caused $5k damage to our car. Even then, the increase wasn't much. We've had several tickets and small fender-benders over the years without any rate increase (other than normal annual adjustments).

Our rates usually go up when we change cars or add one of our kids to the insurance. Holy crap teenagers are expensive to insure.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote