Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Legacy ATI Discussion and Technical Support » AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support Discussion and support forum for all of the All-In-Wonder Radeon cards, the TV-Wonder, Remote Wonder I and II, the new HDTV Wonder, and basically anything with VIVO support.

Old Dec 28, 2003, 07:16 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
VidKo
Radeon R100

VidKo is still being judged by the masses

Angry Odd Sound when viewing TV on 9800 AIW

I have a really annoying problem:

When watching TV on my 9800SE AIW (doesen't matter which software, all have the same problem), on most of the channels I get lots of crackling (I don't know if it's the right expression) when there is more sound intensity. It is mostly noticeable on music channels like MTV and VIVA. I am using all the latest drivers.

Hercules 9800SE AIW @ 9800 PRO AIW
Abit NF7-S v2.0 (bios 2.0)
Windows XP Pro SP1
DirectX 9.0b + Hotfix for PAL Tuners

Regards, VidKo
VidKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2003, 08:24 AM   #2
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I get some crackling in channels too, so I may have a few ideas for you. While I have fixed one channel the other channel is only better.
What country setting do you have in mmc? Changing the tuning to exhaustive and changing the country for each individual channel actually fixed crackling on one channel for me(I live in Australia and setting it to Greece worked ). If you set the audio to stereo do you get crackling on one side only? You may also like to manually add channels that are of slightly different frequency than the current one - you must use fine tuning to do this and sometimes it can improve it a lot, but at the expense of black and white tv . Registry settings sometimes inproved my crackling a little bit -but that may have been the placebo effect
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2003, 08:43 AM   #3
VidKo
Radeon R100

Unfortunately the country settings didn't help. I have set it to the country I live in Slovenia. The sound mode didn't make any difference. Mono or Stereo all the same. Oh, and I am not using MMC because I didn't like it. I am using ATV2000 now.

Regards, VidKo
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 28, 2003, 09:00 AM   #4
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Sorry about the country settings, have you tried to set the frequency manually using mmc just to see if that works, what version of mmc are you not using?
Are you using onboard sound on your motherboard? Which driver version are you using?
Old Dec 28, 2003, 05:27 PM   #5
VidKo
Radeon R100

Yes, I tried it manually too. Didn't help. I am not using MMC 8.8
I am using onboard Soundstorm with 3.75 unofficialaudio drivers. (With official 3.66 same problem).

Regards,
VidKo
Old Dec 30, 2003, 09:31 AM   #6
VidKo
Radeon R100

Actually when I have a channel sound in stereo, only the left speaker seems to have noise and crackling. Interesting. Any solutions?

Regards, VidKo
Old Dec 30, 2003, 09:40 AM   #7
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by VidKo
Actually when I have a channel sound in stereo, only the left speaker seems to have noise and crackling. Interesting. Any solutions?

Regards, VidKo
Hmm that is interesting, one of my channels had crackling on the right side only, and I just listened to the left until I fixed it.
Have you tried to change the input, I assume you are using line-in - have you tried microphone input? Have you tried removing all devices, pci and usb? Do you have a pci soundcard that you could test - it didn't work for me but you may get lucky.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 09:57 AM   #8
VidKo
Radeon R100

I tried mic input, it's a bit better but only because everything is a a lot quieter. Like line in is amplified or something. But the crackling remains. Unfortunately I often use my microphone, so no go. Have to find a pci sound card to test it.

Regards, VidKo

Thanks for your help though.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 10:05 AM   #9
VidKo
Radeon R100

I don't believe it. If i set the sound to stereo. And push the slider for Line in to the right end
I can listen only the right channel but with no crackling. Odd...
But if I set it to mono, cracklingTM returns.

Regards, VidKo
Old Dec 30, 2003, 10:13 AM   #10
zbose
Radeon R100

zbose is still being judged by the masses

This isn't the same problem, but I was picking up some major line noise using my line in plug in the form of a whine. Hooking up the internal audio connector for the card stopped this noise all together and freed up a jack. Its something you might try (just use a cd-audio cable and plug the aiw into your mobo) and its a cheap fix if it works.

-zbose
zbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2003, 10:20 AM   #11
VidKo
Radeon R100

Yeah, I heard about that solution. Was in a computer store today, but he said they sell those cd cables only with cd-roms. The one I have, has an uncompatible connection on one end, so i couldn't use it.
Am going to find another one.

Regards, VidKo
Old Dec 30, 2003, 12:44 PM   #12
VidKo
Radeon R100

Ok, tried even the CD-audio cable. Same problem. I even downclocked my card to stock settings. Didn't help either.

I see depression coming.