Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » AMD Fusion, Integrated and Mobility Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Fusion, Integrated and Mobility Support Discussion and technical support forum for AMD integrated and mobility graphics platforms including Accelerated Processing Units, Netbooks, Ultra Portables, Notebooks, HTPC and SFF.

Old Nov 2, 2013, 02:11 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
oozz77
Radeon R700

oozz77 is still being judged by the masses

Default Mantle on our APU's

Hi all,

Does anyone know whether the Mantle API will help in performance for those of us with Trinity and Richland based APU's?

How much of a realistic performance boost will mantle offer us with it's 9x extra draw calls, new rendering techniques and optimizations, etc?

Especially for those of us waiting it out for the Kaveri, will this be a "huge" advantage in Mantle based games to the degree of perhaps not needing an extra Discrete card installed at medium resolutions (1920 x 1080) or is that expecting too much from the new Kaveri!!
ASUS EAH5770 CuCore
LG 20' Wide Screen Flatron
LG-GSA DVD Rewriter/Burner, Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-106D,
3 x 620 gig drives, Cable Internet,
SoundWorks FPS 1000+Altec Lansing(6.1 setup),
Old Nov 2, 2013, 05:19 PM   #2
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

If you have a GCN discrete video card it can make a big difference, using APU graphics for current and previous generation zero since they are not GCN architecture.

I too am waiting for Kaveri and hoping DDR5 options become available.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:57 PM   #3
oozz77
Radeon R700

Hi Noko,

Even though I have been running my A8-5500 at 2,000mhz Ram speeds. thus also increasing the CPU and GPU mhz, I am still getting great performance out of it for what I do!!

Just a little pissed that to go to Kaveri I will now need a new mobo, better ram and possible power supply, but I am more than happy to do this if we get Mantle widely accepted meaning less of a reliance on a top end card!

Still hoping I can Duel Graphics with a reasonable mid range card for even better gaming.

I also recently read the the new Kaveri will also support "True Audio" which would be another plus!!!
ASUS EAH5770 CuCore
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 4, 2013, 09:31 AM   #4
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

You could piecemeal upgrade and get an FM2+ motherboard now, and drop in a FM2+ processor later. FM2+ motherboards are backwards compatible with FM2 processors.

I doubt you will need a new PSU unless you think yours is starting to fail.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 08:31 PM   #5
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

I wonder if APU13 developer summit 11-13Nov will show case some upcoming products.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:24 AM   #6
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Stop by and watch the keynotes for free, if you're in San Jose.
http://link.global.amd.com/e/es.aspx...13a013e50ca7a1

If you can't attend in person, register here to watch the keynotes online live.

https://vts.inxpo.com/scripts/Server...&ShowKey=16356
Old Nov 5, 2013, 02:26 PM   #7
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

Thanks, will probably watch online.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 03:04 PM   #8
bittermann
I didn't do it

bittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
You could piecemeal upgrade and get an FM2+ motherboard now, and drop in a FM2+ processor later. FM2+ motherboards are backwards compatible with FM2 processors.

I doubt you will need a new PSU unless you think yours is starting to fail.
That's what I'm debating to do right now for my Xmas present!

I'm really hesitant to pick up an Intel cpu plus mobo because they really have taken the OC away from us with the new Haswell's unless you have the K series. So you buy now and you get what you pay for and no more excpet for the small tweaking. At least with an AMD FM2+ now and a cheap 760 I can upgrade to Kaveri after the first of the year and not worry about OC'ing the snot out of the 760 now!
Old Nov 6, 2013, 08:48 AM   #9
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

great plan. the 760k's overclock like a boss, lots of fun to be had if you like tweaking different aspects.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 08:08 PM   #10
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

The available Gigabyte mITX board looks enticing, the PCI E 3.0 I wonder if it would help with dual graphics. Kaveri and GCN card together could become rather potent for gaming, SteamBox with a relatively low power profile.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128663
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:55 AM   #11
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

That's an excellent board. Dual HDMI for tiled UHD displays. 802.11ac onboard. BT 4.0. Very nice.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 07:34 AM   #12
oozz77
Radeon R700

Quote:
That's an excellent board. Dual HDMI for tiled UHD displays. 802.11ac onboard. BT 4.0. Very nice.

The only thing is that by looking at the board, it doesn't look like it has enough room for a higher end Discrete card and the CPU/HSF? It looks too close considering the width of some of the new cards.

Also only 2 ram slots?
ASUS EAH5770 CuCore
Old Nov 8, 2013, 07:54 AM   #13
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

It's mini-ITX, that's how they all are, there's plenty of room for GPU's and HSF unless you're talking about some giant tower HSF you can't fit in most mini-ITX cases.
Look at a micro-ATX or ATX board if you want more memory slots or more room around the CPU socket.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 03:52 PM   #14
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

That board will fits in some rather small cases and probably not really ment for the higher end or big cards out there. I will see what is upcoming from the summit, no hurry on this.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 09:00 AM   #15
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

If you caught yesterdays opening keynote at APU'13 you will have seen Lisa Su disclose some details about Kaveri; specifically, it's four x86 cores (steamroller) and has 8 GCN CU's and has TrueAudio. It supports mantle.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 09:49 AM   #16
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjAM2zYNqko

will it cf with a 290x sort of like LucidLogix Virtu MVP ?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 06:13 PM   #17
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

wat
Old Nov 12, 2013, 09:10 PM   #18
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
If you caught yesterdays opening keynote at APU'13 you will have seen Lisa Su disclose some details about Kaveri; specifically, it's four x86 cores (steamroller) and has 8 GCN CU's and has TrueAudio. It supports mantle.
Lisa Lu is awesome! Yes Kaveri she went into and very exciting to see what is around the corner.

Jan 14 for A series, the comparison to Intel with discrete Nvidia card showed over 2x the performance with BF4. With Mantle? Time for a new laptop next year too .

Last edited by noko : Nov 12, 2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 03:47 PM   #19
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by noko View Post
With Mantle? Time for a new laptop next year too .
Hmm...now I might be interesting to buy a new laptop with newer APU to replace my old school laptop in the future if Mantle is really truly good.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Old Nov 14, 2013, 08:24 PM   #20
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

I can't wait! Now only if DDR5 would come out earlier than later with APUs
Old Dec 18, 2013, 09:25 PM   #21
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

I am very surprised by the lack of leaks or pre-write-ups on Kavari. Steam roller cores and GCN with TrueAudio capability which is hinted to be launching next year on Jan 14 for the desktop follow by laptops later on.

With Mantle making a presence with hopefully a fully operational big title BF4 using Mantle during upcoming launch, could have a very big impact in gaining public interests for this new breed of APU with hUMA (unified memory). Memory calls don't have to go through the cpu to the gpu, for stuff written for this I can't help believe it effectively increase speed of memory access without having to increase memory bandwidth or speed of the memory itself.

With both the PS4 and XBone having an 8 core processor each imbedded with more GCN cores I wonder if we will see some 6 and 8 core versions of Kavari down the line?
Old Dec 20, 2013, 06:22 AM   #22
oozz77
Radeon R700

Hi noko,

Quote:
With both the PS4 and XBone having an 8 core processor each imbedded with more GCN cores I wonder if we will see some 6 and 8 core versions of Kavari down the line?

Well we will have 4 cores as of the 14th January 2013 and AMD have a whole year to refine their process and come up with a 6 or 8 core version, which should theoretically be quite achievable!!
ASUS EAH5770 CuCore
Old Dec 20, 2013, 12:20 PM   #23
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

Which to me would place them in the Enthusiast category with the SteamRoller cores, PCI-E 3.0 in the APU, hUMA and an API which looks like a green light from a number of developers. FM3?

So will 2014 we a new era of AMD desktop/laptop/ultrabook solutions? While 2013 was the Console victory with great graphics department launches while returning to profitbility.

Last edited by noko : Dec 20, 2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 07:08 AM   #24
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by oozz77 View Post

The only thing is that by looking at the board, it doesn't look like it has enough room for a higher end Discrete card and the CPU/HSF? It looks too close considering the width of some of the new cards.

Also only 2 ram slots?
SFF is the new black and this board has zero issues with fitting components. I built a 6800K with 16 gigs of RAM, a self contained liquid cooling system (Thermaltake Water 3.0 Performer) and an R9 270x Vapor X in a Node 304. I also was able to fit a 280X DualX and Toxic, as well as a 290.

The case, more than the motherboard will limit your options.

#SapphireNation
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:20 PM   #25
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by noko View Post
new breed of APU with hUMA (unified memory). Memory calls don't have to go through the cpu to the gpu, for stuff written for this I can't help believe it effectively increase speed of memory access without having to increase memory bandwidth or speed of the memory itself.
The primary benefit of hUMA is ease of programming, you don't have to treat each processor as having a separate memory space. This doesn't include the frame buffer traditionally reserved for GPU graphics, this is still set in the BIOS as dedicated for the video display susbsytem and only accessible by the GPU, to maintain operation/compatibility with OS'es, drivers, games etc.

Early APU's introduced zero-copy registers/pointers, which allowed a memory block used by the CPU in main system memory to allocated to the GPU, used, and then allocated back to the CPU. The compute could move without the data being copied. However, the draw back was that the whole block was inaccessible by the other device, so if you had a 2GB dataset and the GPU needed to access any part of it, the whole 2GB was locked by the GPU until it was done. Clever programmers could work around this, but this takes time and effort.

hUMA changes that, and allows the CPU and GPU to address the full amount of memory installed at the same time (an increase from before, where the GPU was limited to 1/2 the CPU memory space). This eliminates the need for clever programming and removes the memory lock pause, increasing processing speed.

Kaveri also adds heterogeneous queuing abilities, which is the method by which code running on either processor can queue, interrupt or poll the other processor. This makes the CPU and GPU work more like a multi-processor CPU system. This happens transparently to the programmer, again making it easier to program.

Easier to program means more developers will use HSA to accelerate their applications using the GPU. HSA is like Mantle, but for apps - changing the API, removing the bottlenecks, making the most of the hardware.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 04:54 PM   #26
Dr. Zhivago
Sound: Serious Business

Dr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwards

Bedroom PC - Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 - AMD 1100T @3.7/4GHz - H50 - 8GB DDR3-1600 - HD 7870 OC - Samsung 840 250GB - WD 640GB Blue - Xonar DX - LG BDROM - Logitech 6110 - TT Volos - Antec 900 - CM 500W PSU - Samsung 32" HDTV - Onkyo TX-SR606 - BIC L/R & MTX Surround Speakers - Mission C70 Center - Sony 10" Sub - Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

HTPC - Gigabyte GA-890GPA~UD3H - AthlonII X4 630 - HD6450 - 8GB DDR3-1333 - WD 500GB Black - WD 640GB Green - WD 2TB Green - LG BDROM - Ceton InfiniTV 4 w/ MCE Remote - Logitech MX5000 Laser Desktop - Corsair 450W - Silverstone LC10B-E - Sharp Aquos 46" HDTV - Onkyo TX-SR606 - PE 15" Sub - Classic Mission Speakers - Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Office PC - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H - Intel 3570K - 16GB DDR3-1866 - HD 7950 FLEX - Samsung 840 250GB - WD 500GB Blue - WD 1TB Black - Xonar DX - Corsair 600W PSU - Antec ON1E - Logitech G5 - Logitech USB Media KB - AOC 23" LCD - Creative Inspire 2.1 - Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

5x Presentation Machines - Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 - FX-8350 w/ FX WC - 8GB DDR3-1600 - 5870 or 7870 Eyefinity 6 - 2x Samsung 840 EVO 120GB - WD 500GB Black - DVDRW - Cooler Master Sileo 500 - 600W PSU - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit - Office 2010 Pro
Old Jan 6, 2014, 09:26 AM   #27
Athlon-pv
Radeon R420

Athlon-pv is still being judged by the masses

Awesome
Old Jan 7, 2014, 02:25 PM   #28
SOCOM Ops
Radeon R520

SOCOM Ops is still being judged by the masses

So, will the Kaveri series achieve true 'Fusion'? Seems to me its nearing the objectives AMD has been working on for years.

Speaking of which, im in the market for a new build. My ASUS M4A88G-EVO-USB3.0 board seems to be whacked, dont know if my old AMD 955BE CPU is borked too. Im wondering if I should make the switch to a Kaveri FM2+ system in February.

REST IN PEACE VENGEANCE 1965-2008
Old Jan 8, 2014, 04:42 PM   #29
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

What does 'true fusion' mean? The hardware changes present in the 4th generation A-series allow unprecedented levels of blended compute, using HSA.

Read more here - http://www.anandtech.com/show/7643/a...ch-information
Old Jan 9, 2014, 05:59 PM   #30
Athlon-pv
Radeon R420

Athlon-pv is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCOM Ops View Post
So, will the Kaveri series achieve true 'Fusion'? Seems to me its nearing the objectives AMD has been working on for years.

Speaking of which, im in the market for a new build. My ASUS M4A88G-EVO-USB3.0 board seems to be whacked, dont know if my old AMD 955BE CPU is borked too. Im wondering if I should make the switch to a Kaveri FM2+ system in February.
Yeah the FM2+ boards are not that expensive but the main problem lies with the CPU being a 2 module (4c/4t) part and thus far AMD does not go anywhere near any higher configurations on FM2+.