Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:41 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
flyguy
Radeon R200

flyguy is still being judged by the masses

Default a10 Trinity dual graphics

I have been reading around the web and have not found a solid reliable compatability matrix for the new trinity apu with discrete graphics. I have a 7770 on an aging system that needs a new mobo/proc and thought keeping it all AMD would be nice. There is/was a guide on the amd site but that was for llano.

Secondary: Core 2 Quad 3.0Ghz, 4GB Corsair XMS, 160GB Intel SSD, ATI 7770 Ghz Ed. , Antec TruPower 650W

Laptop: i7-2670QM, 8GB RAM, 160GB SSD , AMD 7690M
flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:54 AM   #2
Redeemed
Radeon Arctic Islands

Redeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
I have been reading around the web and have not found a solid reliable compatability matrix for the new trinity apu with discrete graphics. I have a 7770 on an aging system that needs a new mobo/proc and thought keeping it all AMD would be nice. There is/was a guide on the amd site but that was for llano.
For now, at least, the dual graphics for Trinity are identical to that of Llano- limited to the 6670 and a few lower end cards below that. You're 7770 will not work in dual graphics mode.

May this change down the road? Possibly. But this is one of the things that disappoints me the most about Trinity- the lack of ability to pair it with 7xxx series cards. This may be because there isn't anything below a 7750 available for retail purchase. Why there isn't anything below the 7750 available for purchase retail yet I do not know. Kinda' think it's dumb. Would love to have a secondary A10 5800k system running dual graphics with a 7670. However, judging how little performance increase the 7770 brought over the 6770/5770 I highly doubt there's that big a difference between the 7670 and 6670. This may also be why AMD has yet to release anything below the 7750 for retail purchase.

Regardless, an A10-5800k with a 6670 in dual graphics mode should provide sufficient performance for most games. If you like playing a lot of games with maxed eye candy and tons of graphics mods then an APU based system likely isn't the one for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbitslayer View Post
congratulations on the anniversary of your emancipation from the Great Uterine Squeeze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingline View Post
There are two types of people in the world: those that are humble and those that will be.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 02:18 AM   #3
flyguy
Radeon R200

flyguy is still being judged by the masses

I am what most would consider a "dedicated" gamer... however this rig I am rebuilding is for my RV. So noise, thermals as well as performance are all concerns. Hence, why I chose the 7770 compared to some other options available. But my old Core 2 Quad runs to hot and slow. I guess I was hoping to go with an APU to keep it cheap and get a little bump in the graphics dept as well. Im thinking a low power i5 Ivy Bridge may be the way to go then....

Secondary: Core 2 Quad 3.0Ghz, 4GB Corsair XMS, 160GB Intel SSD, ATI 7770 Ghz Ed. , Antec TruPower 650W

Laptop: i7-2670QM, 8GB RAM, 160GB SSD , AMD 7690M
flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 3, 2012, 02:33 AM   #4
Redeemed
Radeon Arctic Islands

Redeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
I am what most would consider a "dedicated" gamer... however this rig I am rebuilding is for my RV. So noise, thermals as well as performance are all concerns. Hence, why I chose the 7770 compared to some other options available. But my old Core 2 Quad runs to hot and slow. I guess I was hoping to go with an APU to keep it cheap and get a little bump in the graphics dept as well. Im thinking a low power i5 Ivy Bridge may be the way to go then....
Since you already own the 7770 a low power i5 would be my recommendation. For anything taxing on the CPU usage you'll get comparable or better performance than an APU, and anything that is going to be graphically demanding, thanks to your 7770 you'll get better performance than with an APU.

In your situation, an APU just doesn't seem to fit. If you didn't already have the 7770 then it'd be a good alternative that might save you some money (not having to purchase a dedicated graphics card). Since you do have it even the top end 5800k can't compete with the 7770 and the CPU side will at best tie with an i5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbitslayer View Post
congratulations on the anniversary of your emancipation from the Great Uterine Squeeze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingline View Post
There are two types of people in the world: those that are humble and those that will be.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:12 AM   #5
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
I'd stay away from any i5 IBs. Ivy Bridge's tend to run hotter than Sandy Bridge. For the most part If using a enthusiast/performance discreet card solely for gaming then you will get about 15% better perf than Trinity. Using midrange and down o entry level cards then Trinity/FX are about equal to IBs. Other than that, you really need to look at what you (intend to) do with the system, what programs you utilize and go from there.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:07 AM   #6
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
The dual graphics options for Trinity are different depending on the APU you get.

A10 - Radeon HD 6670 or 6570
A8 - Radeon HD 6570
A6 - Radeon HD 6450
A4 - Radeon HD 6450

If you want to go all AMD then a socket FM2 APU system with a 5800K is a lot cheaper than an i5 that unlocked. Disable the APU graphics and use your discrete 7700 and overclock the CPU, lots of fun. Future APU's like next years steamroller based one are currently promised to be in the same socket, so you'll get drop in upgrades. That APU may also then work with 7700's for dual graphics, may not.

Another all AMD option you've got is FX and socket AM3+. You could get a cheap FX 8150 (they're around $189 right now) and overclock it to use with your 7700. The disadavantage is power & heat, but you gain socket compatibilty - the next gen FX series based on Piledriver are coming soon and will drop in with the AM3+ mobo. They'll be here before Christmas, possibly even sooner.

If you go i5 you get power savings, great overclocking, lots of CPU performance and no drop in upgrades, next upgrade is whole mobo and CPU. If performance is your primary criterion then i5 is the best bet. If you're looking for value and balance of platform lifetime, AMD is better but you trade off in other areas.

With a 7700 you can't really go wrong with any choice here.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 07:02 PM   #7
teiva
Radeon R200

teiva is still being judged by the masses

The A10 seems to fit the bill for me at the moment.

I'm in the process of building 2 identical inexpensive systems for my 2 boys so they can mainly play WoW and a few other games on a casual basis when they are staying with me.

I'm hoping the onboard graphics will handle the games (mainly WoW) ok.

For my purposes I think AMD have got the right combination of CPU/GPU at a very reasonable price.
teiva is offline   Reply With Quote