Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Oct 29, 2004, 07:20 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
bOb32
Radeon R520

bOb32 is still being judged by the masses

Default Crappy cable from monitor to graphics card causing imperfect images?

For ages, I've been wondering about horizontal lines that move across the screen vertically in some situations (I'm not talking about the tearing effect without vsync, btw). Actual lines, usually on greyish backgrounds, that don't occur on the desktop but only in games. I was told to purchase a new cable (a "thicker one", with "no no ferrites"). However, I'm having trouble finding one on newegg.com (there are apparently only LCD monitor cables). Can someone direct me in the right direction and should this fix my problem?
bOb32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 09:04 PM   #2
friskyolive
Looking down on you!

friskyolive is still being judged by the masses

You using a surge protector, is there any interference with other hardware componants that you are aware of that are not magnetically shielded or possibly think might be the problem? Turn off all other componants, ie: ceiling/desk fan, air conditioner, radiator etc..Is the cable twisted, pierced, sliced, diced? You may wish to visit a computer store and ask them about your problem! GOOGLE

[CPU]: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Quad Core Processor AM3 3.4GHZ 8MB Cache 125W 45NM [MOBO]: ASUS M4A78T-E ATX 790GX Socket AM3 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI HDMI Video Sound GBLAN Motherboard[GPU]: Powercolor Radeon HD 5770 In Crossfire [SOUND]: Corsair Gaming Audio Series CA-HS1A Headset 50MM Drivers Circumaural Earcups and the Creative Sound Blaster X-FI TITANIUM Fatality PRO with Yamaha 5590 Receiver[MEMORY]: OCZ (OCZ3G1600LV4GK) DDR3 1600MHz Gold Edition Low Voltage 4GB (2x2048MB) Dual Channel and G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB [MONITOR]: DELL U2410, 24W, OPT/FPWS,CUS [HD]: Western Digital 320GB and 1 TB Black Edition [Optical Drives]: LG GSA-4167B Dual Layer DVD±R/RW Drive [PSU]: Corsair HX 1000 watt [OS]: Win7 64-bit Professional On a Antec 1200 Full Tower Case.
friskyolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 09:53 AM   #3
bOb32
Radeon R520

I don't think there is any iterference.

Is a CRT to graphics card cable simple a VGA cable? I just don't know which of these is the right one:
http://www.cableclub.com/default.php?cPath=465
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 30, 2004, 10:25 AM   #4
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

yes its a VGA cable

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 11:04 AM   #5
Zoolok
The Fly

Zoolok is still being judged by the masses

Try using the DVI-Out on your graphics card, if it has one, via the DVI->VGA adapter.
Old Oct 30, 2004, 01:15 PM   #6
bOb32
Radeon R520

Thanks, that fixed it.

Are there any advantages/disadvantages with using DVI over VGA on a CRT?
Old Oct 30, 2004, 02:15 PM   #7
Zoolok
The Fly

Zoolok is still being judged by the masses

Not that I know of. On my old 9500 I also had to use DVI out on my monitor, because the VGA out port also gave me annoying horizontal lines. It doesn't happen on my current card though.