Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

Old Apr 22, 2002, 06:10 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Wall Man

Wall Man is still being judged by the masses

Angry ATI crappy Dual Monitor Support?

I did a search and came up with a number of issues with the dual monitor support with the 8500. The main issue I have with my card is the flickering of my 2nd monitor on the DVI port. From what I can gather this is a hardware/driver issue? It seems to vary depending on each persons system. It's the MB, it's the power supply, it's the shielding, it's the driver.

What I haven't read is how ATI intends to solve this problem. I got the ATI mainly for the dual monitor support, DVD playback and good gaming figures. I use a Matrox at work and expected ATI to be pretty close. But so far my out of box experience has been night and day. The Martrox G450 worked right out of the box, dual monitor support is excellent under Win2k. I'm running one monitor at 1286x960 @ 85Hz and a second at 1024x768 @ 75Hz. No flickers.

I cannot get the 8500 to go higher than 60Hz on an extended desktop. I think it's the 2048x768 resolution that is set in Win2K. Plus I think the implementation of the extended desktop at 2048x768 sucks. For those that have tried a Matrox, you know what I mean. For those that have not used or seen another implementation, you don't know what you are missing. I can't stand how install boxes center between the monitor borders, I can't stand how my bookmarks extend to the second screen. I will not give up so easily. I will give the 8500 a chance to redeem itself, but I will be putting a call in to see if my vender will give me a full refund.

I really want the 8500 to function properly under a dual monitor setup, with no flicker upon mouse movement in Win2k and Win98. This is paramount. What other solutions should I try, new drivers? Got the latest, will the BETA be better? Try Powerstrip or some of the Refresh lock programs? What about Rage3d Tweak? I'm not going to replacy my MB nor will I replacye my power supply. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Old Apr 26, 2002, 05:23 AM   #2
marxus_uk

marxus_uk is still being judged by the masses

I have always had problems in Win2k not with the 8500 (never tried it) but with Geforce based cards and never had dual support working properly.
I upgraded to WinXp and it works great! I found its a little fiddly to set up to start with, and the problems with refresh rate were the same, but altering the refresh rate in the disply properties in the ATI software did the trick. I also use the Monitor .inf file which seems to help too.
For the refresh rate problems in games I use refresh lock and that works great and Hydravision for the dual support software although I have heard there is better software out there that will work with this card.
Yes a friend of mine had the Matrox G450 and its the Don of dual monitor support cards but no good if you are serious for games aswell I find the 8500 you get the best of both worlds.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 06:38 AM   #3
babas

babas is still being judged by the masses

Use Powerstrip to programmed timing of each monitor !

I had the same problem , but now , with this , it is solved !

Babas.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 29, 2002, 01:44 PM   #4
david-N
Radeon R100

david-N is still being judged by the masses

if you're using the ATI card, don't bother with dual monitor support. it doesn't support seperate desktop resolutions for each monitor (which matrox did perfectly) nor does it support seperate refresh rates. and i never really saw THAT much of an improvement in graphics for the games i play (CS/JumpGate). basically i'm very close to just sticking my matrox back in just to put my 2nd monitor to use cuz now it's just sitting on my desk taking up space.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 02:20 PM   #5
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally posted by david-N
if you're using the ATI card, don't bother with dual monitor support. it doesn't support seperate desktop resolutions for each monitor (which matrox did perfectly) nor does it support seperate refresh rates.
I don't think you have the slightest clue what you are talking about. It can too. (only in 9x/ME/XP though)

have you installed the hydravision software?

Last edited by Clockwork : Apr 29, 2002 at 02:30 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 02:24 PM   #6
Paranormal
Radeon R200

Paranormal is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
if you're using the ATI card, don't bother with dual monitor support. it doesn't support seperate desktop resolutions for each monitor (which matrox did perfectly) nor does it support seperate refresh rates.
In windows 2000 it doesn't.
But in windows 98 or windows XP it works GREAT

If you go to www.ati.com and read about Radeon 8500 they actually say that
Old Apr 29, 2002, 02:24 PM   #7
CrewOne
Radeon R300

CrewOne is still being judged by the masses

Matrox did have better *W2K* support, I grant you that. (I have been a G200 and G400 MAX owners from they day they came out.)

Matrox hacked their way through 2000 to get the different resolutions working. The main reason ATI and others don't have this is because Windows 2000 doesn't allow it.

But multimonitor support in XP for the 8500 is excellent.

In XP you can have different resolutions for each monitor, and different refresh rates. I use dual monitor stuff every day, and for the G400 I even wrote my own multi monitor management software back when the 2K drivers weren't supporting it as good as they do now. Multi monitor stuff *IS* a big deal to me, I can't do without it.

And if you haven't seen an improvement in games then you're probably not looking very hard. The difference in 3D processing power between a G400MAX and the Radeon 8500 is astronomical.

If possible, upgrade to XP.
GFX: Retail Radeon 9700PRO By ATI
Sound: SB Live!
PSU: Zalman ST-300BLP
Old Apr 29, 2002, 02:32 PM   #8
david-N
Radeon R100

*sigh* i hate XP though...
Old Apr 29, 2002, 02:45 PM   #9
El Coyote
Radeon R200

El Coyote is still being judged by the masses

multiple monitor in xp is great, i run a lcd as primary on the dvi out, and a regular crt on the secondary. I have noticed some weak dark lines scrolling upwards on the secondary screen, but since this screen is primarily used as an "irc screen", i'm not really bothered by it.
It would be nice with a fix though - and no powerstrip is outta the question... i hate that proggie (even though it does some neat things)

my .02€
Old Apr 29, 2002, 03:15 PM   #10
[skc]CompVirus
Radeon R100

[skc]CompVirus is still being judged by the masses

This is going to sound real strange....but...
I had nothing but probs with getting dual monitors working at all.
I was trying everything I could think of on 2 machines with NO luch.
Then 1 day it just worked.
Thinking I just found the soloition to the problem, I went over to the other puter that was having the same issues, fired it up, then that 1 worked too.
As if the planets were in line and they decided to work.

Sorry that this is in no way helpful, but it tottaly baffled me.
Maybe there is not a clear reasin or soloution to this.
My advice...keep playing, one day it will just work.
Onboard SB128 sound
Radeon 8500 OEM (latest drivers)
2 x 17" standard Plug 'n' Play monitors
Win98SE & WinXP pro (removable hard drives NOT dual boot)

Yes, I am a Unreal Tournament addict
Old Apr 29, 2002, 03:18 PM   #11
CrewOne
Radeon R300

Quote:
*sigh* i hate XP though...
Why? Real reasons or is it psychological?

I used to hate it too, but if you're a 2K junkie then you can modify XP to look 95% the same. It's just as stable, and offers better dual monitor support.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 03:21 PM   #12
[skc]CompVirus
Radeon R100

Quote:
Maybe you should take another look at what you have done, cause it does support all you have mnentioned.
I have different resoloutions, refreshrates, even differnt monitor profiles.
No probs at all.
That is with win98se & win xp
Onboard SB128 sound

Old Apr 29, 2002, 04:18 PM   #13
CrewOne
Radeon R300

Quote:
Originally posted by [skc]CompVirus
That is with win98se & win xp
Well, he's talking about W2K It's not possible in W2K (and NT4), at least - not last time I checked.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 07:00 PM   #14
tekwiz99
Radeon R300

tekwiz99 is still being judged by the masses

we are not trying to push you onto WinXP, but it would always nice for you try it out before you make the decision. my opinion is: i like it, if not more than Win2k pro.
hack, if i stock in your situation, i would tripple boot my comp to have three diff OS.
Old Apr 30, 2002, 11:26 AM   #15
david-N
Radeon R100

ok guys....i broke down and got another HD to install a fresh copy of XP on...

guess i'm gonna stick with XP. the only problem i have is it doesn't save my monitor settings. i have my 19" set to 1600x1200 and my 17" set to 1280x1024. everytime i reboot, the 19" gets reset back to 1280x1024. it's not THAT big of a deal i guess, but it would be nice to boot and start working on things rather than have to go back to my desktop settings. any reason why this is?
Old Apr 30, 2002, 06:37 PM   #16
skyguy
Radeon R600

skyguy is still being judged by the masses

The wavy lines on the secondary monitor need to be addressed, I'm sending and hopefully more people will get this problem resolved.

FYI: I don't get it on the Iwill, it's there on the ecs k7s5a
Old May 1, 2002, 03:11 AM   #17
[skc]CompVirus
Radeon R100

Quote:
Originally posted by CrewOne

Well, he's talking about W2K It's not possible in W2K (and NT4), at least - not last time I checked.
Ooops
Onboard SB128 sound

Old May 1, 2002, 07:26 AM   #18
CrewOne
Radeon R300

Quote:
ok guys....i broke down and got another HD to install a fresh copy of XP on...

guess i'm gonna stick with XP. the only problem i have is it doesn't save my monitor settings. i have my 19" set to 1600x1200 and my 17" set to 1280x1024. everytime i reboot, the 19" gets reset back to 1280x1024. it's not THAT big of a deal i guess, but it would be nice to boot and start working on things rather than have to go back to my desktop settings. any reason why this is?
Are you using recent drivers, and if you are using the 6071's then you should try the 6058's.

I had problems with my 2nd monitor with very old drivers (6043 and before) and with 6071 I have some problems as well. (Although not as bad as before) Drivers in between were fine.
Old May 1, 2002, 03:43 PM   #19
david-N
Radeon R100

ah. yes i am using the 6071 drivers. ok let me try the 6058 drivers.
Old Sep 26, 2002, 05:42 AM   #20
billou2k
Radeon R200

billou2k is still being judged by the masses

Default dual monitor in 2k

I can just confirm that the dual monitor is simply not working in 2k. I could just get my screen cloned to the tv or stretched horizontally or vertically. and of course it's not making that happy as I bought that card to send dvds to my tv.
I would be ok to just accept that and spend my fortune in buying xp to get it working if it was proven that windows 2k is really not able to support it.
But then I see that matrox Gxxx series do it on 2k.. ok maybe they spent years tweaking 2k to make it work..and maybe ATI was busy with something else..
And then a few days ago I realised dual monitor works perfectly on a friend's geforce4 Ti on 2k.. so..
Can someone at ATI tell me why my radeon8500 that was so proud of its hydravision stuff is the only card that cant handle dual monitor on 2k? it's a bit irritating.
Radeon8500LE
SB audigy player
Old Jan 18, 2005, 07:01 PM   #21
Spoon83
Radeon R300

Spoon83 is still being judged by the masses

Yes, W2K multi monitor support with the 8500 doesn't work. ATI really dropped the ball here, I bought my 8500 new as it as coming out and ATI NEVER fixed this. Pathetic if you ask me. I'm still waiting ATI.

I can run any version of Windows I want, but I'm not switching my OS because ATI is too lazy to do something they've already done for the R300 driver.