Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Oct 28, 2020, 02:35 PM   #6301
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
So there's no sustained oil leak, the driveway under the car is as clean as it's ever been. I still bought a replacement o-ring for the oil filler cap.
I was going to comment on that.... It's possible, the oil is either getting into the intake and leaking from some areas which aren't exactly water tight or the PCV system spitting some out due to the aggressive autox driving.

I don't know much about your specific car, but sometimes running a car a quart lower on oil can help mitigate some of those issues without installing catch cans and so forth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Last night I laser cut my autocross numbers out of white magnetic sheets.
Nice work!
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2020, 02:42 PM   #6302
Roadhog
Sausages

Roadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post

I don't know much about your specific car, but sometimes running a car a quart lower on oil can help mitigate some of those issues without installing catch cans and so forth...

Nice work!
Uh... How about never doing that.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2020, 02:50 PM   #6303
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Uh... How about never doing that.
What do you think is going to happen?
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 28, 2020, 02:55 PM   #6304
Roadhog
Sausages

Roadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
What do you think is going to happen?
Higher possibility of oil starvation?

When you start to add way more cornering grip, you also increase the chance of oil starvation. Running an engine like his 25% lower on oil would be insane. They even have systems that have an oil reservoir that will inject more oil on high cornering forces for cars that might be at a higher risk to starvation.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 01:35 PM   #6305
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Higher possibility of oil starvation?

When you start to add way more cornering grip, you also increase the chance of oil starvation. Running an engine like his 25% lower on oil would be insane. They even have systems that have an oil reservoir that will inject more oil on high cornering forces for cars that might be at a higher risk to starvation.
You will not starve a motor with 3/4th filled. If a motor is going to have starvation at 3/4's of a fill, then it will already have an issue at full fill (and there are some cars like that but it's mostly old cars). Most modern cars have some level of baffling in the oil pans today off the showroom floor, and some even have some in other areas of the oil paths as well. If you try to do something like this on a car from the 1970's, yea, that could be a bad idea (however, you are likely to run into a lot other different problems) but it's a valid thing that a lot of track-rats use.

If you look at the AutoX forums, you'll see it's a common thing.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 03:40 PM   #6306
Roadhog
Sausages

Quote:
You will not starve a motor with 3/4th filled. If a motor is going to have starvation at 3/4's of a fill, then it will already have an issue at full fill (and there are some cars like that but it's mostly old cars). Most modern cars have some level of baffling in the oil pans today off the showroom floor, and some even have some in other areas of the oil paths as well. If you try to do something like this on a car from the 1970's, yea, that could be a bad idea (however, you are likely to run into a lot other different problems) but it's a valid thing that a lot of track-rats use.

If you look at the AutoX forums, you'll see it's a common thing.
Yeah... I'm not buying that one bit. My 2019 Golf R doesn't even have a baffled oil pan. I do know baffled oil pans are a thing, don't get me wrong there. I just don't think they are as common as you are claiming. If i ran my R 1 qt low the low oil warning light would be screaming at me the whole time. I think the engineers would be smart enough and have good reason to pick the oil levels they did.

I'd love to see some of these threads. Can't be hard to find if it's a common thing.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 04:00 PM   #6307
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

I believe Majik is a little confused.

For autocross and track use, it's common to ADD 1/2 or 1qt of oil for many cars. NOT run a quart low. Just...don't do that. Fortunately, I think most people will have enough common sense not to.

If you're leaking oil, or finding excessive amount of oil in the intake...fix the problem that's causing it or install a catch can. It's a much easier problem to deal with than replacing main bearings in the motor.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2020, 04:02 PM   #6308
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
I'd love to see some of these threads. Can't be hard to find if it's a common thing.
I'm not going to do research for you. If you don't care, don't worry about it. However, you can browse Miata, S2K and even the Grassroots forums for similar tricks. It's not necessarily 1 quart less, it really depends on the capacity of the car. For example, if the car's capacity is 3 quarts, then 1 quart less is not a good option. If the car has a 7-8 quart capacity (think BMW's), 1 quart is proportionally not a problem. It's more a proportions decision but the general idea is to run less than full oil to keep it from leaving the main oil system into other areas of the engine where it doesn't belong *if* you don't plan to add additional baffling than what was provided off the showroom floor (or catch cans).
Old Oct 29, 2020, 04:17 PM   #6309
Roadhog
Sausages

Quote:
I'm not going to do research for you. If you don't care, don't worry about it. However, you can browse Miata, S2K and even the Grassroots forums for similar tricks. It's not necessarily 1 quart less, it really depends on the capacity of the car. For example, if the car's capacity is 3 quarts, then 1 quart less is not a good option. If the car has a 7-8 quart capacity (think BMW's), 1 quart is proportionally not a problem. It's more a proportions decision but the general idea is to run less than full oil to keep it from leaving the main oil system into other areas of the engine where it doesn't belong *if* you don't plan to add additional baffling than what was provided off the showroom floor (or catch cans).
Yeah, I'm doing some research and I'm just not running into anything that says that.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...lippery-slope/
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...treet-and-aut/
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...il-track-and-/

Can't find anything in all my googling.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 04:22 PM   #6310
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
I believe Majik is a little confused.

For autocross and track use, it's common to ADD 1/2 or 1qt of oil for many cars.
For older cars (like many late 80's and early 90's, yes). You'll see this for some of the older BMW's which need a little more oil to help with their starvation. For newer cars, they can get oil sloshed into the intake which then gets re-ingested and out the exhaust. A common fix is to run a little less oil to keep it from sloshing up there.

Yes, it is better to either add a catch can or baffling to control it, but a quick fix is to run less oil. This is mainly for track cars or for autoX which have longer sustain cornering rather than some of the small quick direction change autox setups.

It's same thing as those who have this issue and half the day through it stops. Why? Because the excess oil has already made its way into the intake and what's left which is lower now doesn't have the volume to make it that far (until the driver tops it back off).
Old Oct 29, 2020, 04:30 PM   #6311
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

I'll give you one link as I'm not going to search the internet for you:

http://986forum.com/forums/542148-post7.html

As mentioned, baffling is the right way to do it but a little lower oil can be done depending on the car.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 04:35 PM   #6312
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

No, that is not just for older cars. Newer cars too.

It's literally in the owners manual in the C5 Vette's to ADD 1qt before doing any performance driving. It's even more important in anything with an LS3 (08-2013) that's not a Grand Sport. The oil pans have even worse baffling and the oil tends to pool in the heads/block and not make it back into the pan in time for proper scavenging. This is the entire reason the GrandSport model added the dry sump system and much higher capacity from the ZO6 in 2011.

I understand that some cars may have adequate enough capacity and baffling to mitigate the issues, and then have enough overhead to then remove some capacity and still be ok...but why risk it? That's absolutely ridiculous.

Anyone doing that better be VERY intimate with the car and it's oiling system to even remotely consider doing something like that.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Oct 29, 2020, 04:52 PM   #6313
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
I understand that some cars may have adequate enough capacity and baffling to mitigate the issues, and then have enough overhead to then remove some capacity and still be ok...but why risk it? That's absolutely ridiculous.
The simple truth is that an engine is not going to seize up from running little less than full.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 04:59 PM   #6314
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
The simple truth is that an engine is not going to seize up from running little less than full.
Seize up?

You sum up everything I said with saying the engine isn't going to "seize up"?

Wow...well, you're right. It's so fortunate that as long as the engine doesn't lock up completely, it's good to go.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Oct 29, 2020, 05:17 PM   #6315
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Seize up?

You sum up everything I said with saying the engine isn't going to "seize up"?

Wow...well, you're right. It's so fortunate that as long as the engine doesn't lock up completely, it's good to go.
It's no different than inferring your single experience with inadequate Chevrolet designs are the same as the rest of the car realm. You insinuate that every statement covers "everything" when yes there are always exceptions to the rule. Yes, some Chevy engines have oil problems. Never said they didn't. However, those are exceptions, not the norm. The fact that "some" people run their cars with a little lower than full oil to prevent oil ingestion issues is a fact. Those might not be Corvette owners, great, I agree with you there. Go take your chill pills.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 05:21 PM   #6316
Roadhog
Sausages

Quote:
The fact that "some" people run their cars with a little lower than full oil to prevent oil ingestion issues is a fact.
You should be a politician. Looks like they are really good at stating facts with no proof to back up their claims.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 05:46 PM   #6317
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
It's no different than inferring your single experience with inadequate Chevrolet designs are the same as the rest of the car realm. You insinuate that every statement covers "everything" when yes there are always exceptions to the rule.
Actually, it's very different. I never implied it would be the case for all cars. I used a personal example as a reference to the fact that it's not always the case in modern cars. You know, the very thing you're refusing to do. In fact, I then addressed exactly what you just claimed.

Quote:

Anyone doing that better be VERY intimate with the car and it's oiling system to even remotely consider doing something like that.
The problem is, YOU are always running under the assumption that you know everything and keep assuming you know what everyone else is doing or thinking, and rarely read or look at what you've even typed. You started at 1qt, then said 3/4 filled, then said it depends on capacity, then said "a little less than full". You also started in the 70's, then added later on the 80s and early 90's, then I show you more modern examples.

It makes me wonder if you've even changed your own oil before. But sure, I'll take my chill pill.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Oct 29, 2020, 06:24 PM   #6318
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
It makes me wonder if you've even changed your own oil before.
You got me....
Old Oct 29, 2020, 08:20 PM   #6319
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Great, I'm glad we're on the same page. Finally.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Oct 29, 2020, 08:22 PM   #6320
Roadhog
Sausages

Ah, a Dorito owner, It all makes sense now.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 10:11 PM   #6321
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Ah, a Dorito owner, It all makes sense now.
Luckily, that thing has been gone for years. Unfortunately, the engine stand still gets use as the race motor for the S2k is on it at the moment.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 10:01 AM   #6322
lmchv
Planet Express

lmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultylmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Applied ceramic coating to the new Tiguan:

BEHEMOTH (Desktop): Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Intel Core i9 9900K @5.0Ghz + Asus ROG Ryuo 240 | Corsair Ballistic 32GB DDR4-3000 | Dell 2715Q 27" 4K | XFX Radeon VII 16GB | CoolerMaster Cosmos C700P + Asus ROG Thor 1200W Platinum | Sound Blaster Z + Logitech Z-5500 + Logitech G635 | HyperX Alloy Elite RGB CherryMX Red + Logitech G700S + Gigabyte Krypton | Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD 512GB + 2 x Samsung 850 Pro SSD 512GB RAID0 + 2 x Western Digital Black 1TB RAID0 | LG BD-RE | Windows 10 Pro 64bits

Charquito (Desktop): Asus Sabertooth X99 | Intel Core i7 5930K @4.7Ghz + Corsair Hydro H110 | Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4-2400 | Dell U2713HM 27" | Asus ROG Strix Geforce GTX1080| Cooler Master Cosmos 2 + Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W | Microsoft Reclusa + Logitech MX Performance | Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD + Seagate 500GB | Sony BD-ROM | Windows 10 Pro 64bits

Bloodzone.net Moderator
lmchv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2020, 01:39 PM   #6323
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Nice. They have the lighting in their showroom to make it look perfect
What did it cost?

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2020, 04:46 PM   #6324
lmchv
Planet Express

lmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultylmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Nice. They have the lighting in their showroom to make it look perfect
What did it cost?
Yes, it does not look like that on my garage

It was around $800 for the full package including paint, wheels, lights, windows, leather, plastics (inside, outside) and all other trims.

3 years protection.
BEHEMOTH (Desktop): Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Intel Core i9 9900K @5.0Ghz + Asus ROG Ryuo 240 | Corsair Ballistic 32GB DDR4-3000 | Dell 2715Q 27" 4K | XFX Radeon VII 16GB | CoolerMaster Cosmos C700P + Asus ROG Thor 1200W Platinum | Sound Blaster Z + Logitech Z-5500 + Logitech G635 | HyperX Alloy Elite RGB CherryMX Red + Logitech G700S + Gigabyte Krypton | Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD 512GB + 2 x Samsung 850 Pro SSD 512GB RAID0 + 2 x Western Digital Black 1TB RAID0 | LG BD-RE | Windows 10 Pro 64bits

Charquito (Desktop): Asus Sabertooth X99 | Intel Core i7 5930K @4.7Ghz + Corsair Hydro H110 | Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4-2400 | Dell U2713HM 27" | Asus ROG Strix Geforce GTX1080| Cooler Master Cosmos 2 + Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W | Microsoft Reclusa + Logitech MX Performance | Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD + Seagate 500GB | Sony BD-ROM | Windows 10 Pro 64bits

Bloodzone.net Moderator
Old Nov 10, 2020, 12:26 PM   #6325
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Dropped the S3 off for service today, got an Allroad loaner, which is pretty nice.

I think I need new tires Autocross done a number on the P-Zeros. Need to get a set of track wheels too...
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2020, 05:45 AM   #6326
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmchv View Post
Yes, it does not look like that on my garage

It was around $800 for the full package including paint, wheels, lights, windows, leather, plastics (inside, outside) and all other trims.

3 years protection.
looks great, for sure, but 800 bucks, ooof....

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"You're only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it" *Robin Williams*

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2020, 10:31 AM   #6327
lmchv
Planet Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
looks great, for sure, but 800 bucks, ooof....
It's something done only every 3 years or so, it was worth it honestly. Also it protects against UV and bird droppings, a must here in Peru.

Bloodzone.net Moderator

Last edited by lmchv : Nov 27, 2020 at 08:42 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 04:28 PM   #6328
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Last Autocross event of the year, and my best of the 3 I've done. Came in 2nd in novice class to a Civic Type R in STU class (my S3 is in D Street). This is my last pass, which was my best pass. I was running after a guy in an RS3 so we talked between runs.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2020, 05:39 PM   #6329
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Few days ago, put all new front brakes on the Ferd.

Rotors, calipers, pads, hoses.

Now, to get the air out of the ABS pump. Probably sometime this holiday weekend.

Next on the list is putting new seals in the ALH's injection pump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2020, 08:45 PM   #6330
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

LED license plate lights to match my LED reverse lights:

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote