Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

View Poll Results: Who is buying an iPad2 to make poorer appletards jelly?
This guy! 3 10.00%
That guy! 12 40.00%
I'm actually an appletard and I take offense but cannot resist the urge to vote. 1 3.33%
I can't. But make those appletards weep their bitter tears for those of us who can't. 14 46.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 4, 2011, 12:12 AM   #121
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
xNaquada
/u/xnaquada

xNaquada is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
All people like you have to do is simply buy something else, I'll never understand why folks go on some aimless rampage against a product or the group of people who purchase that product. What a silly waste of time.
[Im going to preface this by saying this is not directed at any one person... so when I say "you", dont QQ about it]

MY opening comment is enjoy the plastic but dont flaunt it.
I dont care what you buy, but dont try and tout it as the greatest tech product out there and not expect to be slammed. If it buy a Honda Civic and say its better than a maclaren F1 or Lambo and say its faster and hurrr I dont need 4WD or traction or what have you.... you expect people not to interrupt?

Its fine to say " I got a ipad 2 and I enjoy it".. Arbitrarily declaring something is the best (when its clearly not?) getting upset at getting challenged? Has Fox News really destroyed peoples reason? And because its a market leader, does not make it the best (plenty of examples here, look around)

And what can you do/what perephrials can you use with a USB port? What CANT you do? far easier to answer that question.

A silly waste of time indeed.

@Dorxtar, sorry. I re-read my comment and I can see that it can be construed as a lot of vitrol, but I'm just kind of vulgar (as many do know via past posts), so dont take it too personally. Your post did deserve some of it though, and my point still stands.
However I do hope you enjoy your pad2.

Last edited by xNaquada : Mar 4, 2011 at 12:24 AM. Reason: edit: for dorxtar
xNaquada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 12:17 AM   #122
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNaquada View Post
And what can you do/what perephrials can you use with a USB port? What CANT you do? far easier to answer that question.
Again, different usage paradigm. Tell me what's the big deal with having a USB port on a tablet for you.

Like what peripherals are you going to hook up to your tablet via USB? Camera? Printer? USB key?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 05:11 AM   #123
Gator
Unreal Android

Gator is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Where are these choices? Not looking to start a fight, really just suggesting expanding the poll. There was no real choice for "other" or "no"

Android Tablet only for me

BlackBerry tablet awaits

No thanks, I don't dig Apple iOS

Last edited by Gator : Mar 4, 2011 at 07:15 AM.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 4, 2011, 07:10 AM   #124
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNaquada View Post
[Im going to preface this by saying this is not directed at any one person... so when I say "you", dont QQ about it]

MY opening comment is enjoy the plastic but dont flaunt it.
I dont care what you buy, but dont try and tout it as the greatest tech product out there and not expect to be slammed. If it buy a Honda Civic and say its better than a maclaren F1 or Lambo and say its faster and hurrr I dont need 4WD or traction or what have you.... you expect people not to interrupt?

Its fine to say " I got a ipad 2 and I enjoy it".. Arbitrarily declaring something is the best (when its clearly not?) getting upset at getting challenged? Has Fox News really destroyed peoples reason? And because its a market leader, does not make it the best (plenty of examples here, look around)

A silly waste of time indeed.

@Dorxtar, sorry. I re-read my comment and I can see that it can be construed as a lot of vitrol, but I'm just kind of vulgar (as many do know via past posts), so dont take it too personally. Your post did deserve some of it though, and my point still stands.
However I do hope you enjoy your pad2.

You really ought to read better. I have no intention of getting an iPad 2, ive never said the iPad was the greatest thing ever, I've certainly never "flaunted" anything, and there is nothing to challenge. The only points I made weren't even about the iPad exclusively. I was generally speaking about the weight of all tablets and the lack of USB in tablets.

Quote:
No, the questions remains...what do you folks think you need USB for on a tablet? Don't turn it around with rhetorical bull****, just answer it. Peripherals is a BS answer. Would you rather be tied to a USB cable than use what the tablets already have? Get with the times, Bluetooth is available. You guys grasp at anything to argue pointless debates. It IS silly.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 08:04 AM   #125
MaxSt
Radeon Arctic Islands

MaxSt once held a door open for a complete strangerMaxSt once held a door open for a complete strangerMaxSt once held a door open for a complete strangerMaxSt once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
what do you folks think you need USB for on a tablet?
Looks like you think USB could be useful on non-tablets?
MaxSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 08:15 AM   #126
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSt View Post
Looks like you think USB could be useful on non-tablets?
Does it matter? I thought we were discussing tablets. The point of a tablet is mobility. I don't lug my desktop PC around and I don't own a laptop. For those that DO own a laptop, sure it could be useful. Wouldn't it be even more useful if everything were wireless/Bluetooth? Laptops generally have more functionality than a tablet, so certain things in the market are still USB only.

Everybody likes to dodge the question here...why do you want USB on your tablets? You guys keep asking other questions in hopes of misdirection.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 09:13 AM   #127
shoman24v
Radeon Southern Islands

shoman24v is still being judged by the masses

Now, I could be wrong... but iOS doesn't have any form of file management system, and you can't access files to do things. I would imagine if you tried to edit a document it would be saved elsewhere?

You spend a **** ton of money on device with 16-32-64GBs of storage and all it can be used for is music, photos, apps, and movies. All of which have to be synced with a PC, in a 'post-pc' time.

I think with apple stuff, people are drawn in by the oooh and ahhh rather than the actual use.

People are going to go stupid over that kaleidescope, but honestly it will lose it novelty in about 2 minutes.
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 10:10 AM   #128
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Everybody likes to dodge the question here...why do you want USB on your tablets? You guys keep asking other questions in hopes of misdirection.
For me, it would be data transfer of large items like movies (i.e. for heading on the trip).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman24v View Post
I think with apple stuff, people are drawn in by the oooh and ahhh rather than the actual use.
IMO, Apple makes a good product. Their products are not for me, but I think they make good products for people who need books like "XXXX for Dummies". i.e. the people who don't need/want tweaking, but only need some basic 'no fuss' functions. Most of us on forums like these are 'tweakers' and like more control over our technology however I would say we are in the minority rather than the majority.

I think we are going to see a decline in PC/laptop sales over the next 2 years as tablets become more mature. Let's face it, most of the world only uses a PC (whether desktop or laptop) for internet based communication; whether browsing, posting on forums, email or online social networks. Tablets will be able to do those functions in a smaller form factor (and cheaper in some cases). Heck, the current $200 tablets can do what most of the world needs to do today.

I think the PC is going to go back to the "tweakers" and "powerusers". Personally, I'm all for it! I'm tired of supporting my family's ancient hardware they refuse to upgrade.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 10:53 AM   #129
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
For me, it would be data transfer of large items like movies (i.e. for heading on the trip).
Then why wouldn't you plug it into your PC to sync up? I think what me and Overclockn are asking is, why do you need USB for a mobile device that has a wireless/online usage paradigm?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Mar 4, 2011, 10:53 AM   #130
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
That's the only thing I could think of too. It would be nice if the tablets could do that or at the very least have memory card slots. Especially when tablets have such small storage at the moment.

Once tablets have more than 64GB of storage, I dont see the point of USB at all. You can put a lot of movies on a device with that kind of storage, unless the devices start supporting 1080P. Eh, as I mentioned...storage limitations are the only reason for USB and/or memory card slots.

Last edited by OverclockN' : Mar 4, 2011 at 10:57 AM.
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 11:11 AM   #131
Zero
Sass hole

Or better yet, don't copy them over, just stream.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Mar 4, 2011, 11:36 AM   #132
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Or better yet, don't copy them over, just stream.
If I'm on an airplane, how is that going to work?
Old Mar 4, 2011, 11:44 AM   #133
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
If I'm on an airplane, how is that going to work?
He was talking about putting the movies on the device BEFORE leaving. Works just fine if you're not limited on space. Wish the tablets had larger storage drives, I know I could use a bit more.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 11:57 AM   #134
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
He was talking about putting the movies on the device BEFORE leaving. Works just fine if you're not limited on space. Wish the tablets had larger storage drives, I know I could use a bit more.
No, he specifically said "Or better yet, don't copy them over", as I quoted. If I only intended my device to be used within my household, streaming wouldn't be a problem. However, the only reason I would use a tablet for media would be for traveling. I'd rather have fewer higher quality movies rather than streaming lower quality over the airwaves. It may work for some, but wouldn't work for my needs (then again, I wouldn't be buying an Apple device anyway).
Old Mar 4, 2011, 12:21 PM   #135
erek
Banned

erek is still being judged by the masses

Default Here's another legitimate reason to not get the iPad 2

Just how bad is the iPad 2 camera? Both cameras in the iPad 2 are about as rudimentary as you could get without having to load a roll of film in there.

(WIRED) -- It seems impossible for Apple to put a decent camera into anything but the iPhone, and despite many hopes, both cameras in the iPad 2 are about as rudimentary as you could get without having to load a roll of film in there.
In fact, the iPad 2's camera has more in common with the low-res camera in the iPod Touch than it does to the rather excellent one in the iPhone 4.

(please visit the source link for more information)...

Source: CNN
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 01:25 PM   #136
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
No, he specifically said "Or better yet, don't copy them over", as I quoted. If I only intended my device to be used within my household, streaming wouldn't be a problem. However, the only reason I would use a tablet for media would be for traveling. I'd rather have fewer higher quality movies rather than streaming lower quality over the airwaves. It may work for some, but wouldn't work for my needs (then again, I wouldn't be buying an Apple device anyway).
Well you CAN have fewer HQ movies, just sync up before you leave. Even if you're on a 24 hr flight, you got space for 12 movies on any modern tablet.

How does USB help in that regard? So you can bring along another storage device and plug it in? Doesn't that negate portability? Why not bring a laptop in that case?

As for streaming, if I'm anywhere near wifi, I can stream pretty well from my home server that is publicly accessible. Or use netflix. 3G even works ok sometimes but I don't have the bandwidth cap to test it out fully.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Mar 4, 2011, 01:56 PM   #137
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Well you CAN have fewer HQ movies, just sync up before you leave. Even if you're on a 24 hr flight, you got space for 12 movies on any modern tablet.

How does USB help in that regard?
Bandwidth? I'd rather spend a few minutes copying over media rather than letting it run for an hour across WiFi (been there, done that and hate it). The technology is available, why not use it? It's not like only the rich can afford USB ports. I see no reason not to offer the capability. As OverclockN mentioned, using either USB or memory cards is a much quicker approach to migrating data between the two devices.

Quote:
As for streaming, if I'm anywhere near wifi, I can stream pretty well from my home server that is publicly accessible. Or use netflix. 3G even works ok sometimes but I don't have the bandwidth cap to test it out fully.
I don't actually keep movies on my home network, and don't intend to. I rip movies only for traveling and only the ones I plan to watch for that trip (I currently use a Viewsconic VPD400 for this). After the trip, the movies are removed. I already have a wall with the physical copy of the movie, so storing it digitally is a waste for my use case.

My need is to be able to use my media when WiFi is not available or reliable. I'm not going to use media through the device when I'm inside my household. I don't need it when I'm sitting in a bar. If I'm playing with a tablet in a bar, I obviously need a different kind of help.

Being able to move, alter, manipulate media on a tablet quickly and easily is one of my needs. It may not be yours, which is ok, but it is one of mine. I will not buy a tablet which either does not have a USB port or can take memory cards. I would prefer support for memory cards, but either one would allow the use I expect for my needs.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 02:45 PM   #138
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

I would like tablets to have usb (or whatever the standard was) connections because $$$$ proprietary connections wouldnt be needed. As for specifics, going off the top of my head, some tablets dont have cameras and by having a usb i would be able to hook up my web cam. External storage? What if i want to copy my camera pics onto it so i can share with people around me? Also not everyone has wifi or networked printers. Again if we sat around and walked through a computer/hobby store im sure we would be able to find a bunch more. The idea is that USB is so widely used it can offer so much more. I would also like to have an HDMI connection so i would be able to hook a tablet up to my HT so i can share movies and music. MMmmMMmMMMMMm...

Last edited by **G.I.BRO** : Mar 4, 2011 at 02:48 PM.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 03:52 PM   #139
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Bandwidth? I'd rather spend a few minutes copying over media rather than letting it run for an hour across WiFi (been there, done that and hate it). The technology is available, why not use it? It's not like only the rich can afford USB ports. I see no reason not to offer the capability. As OverclockN mentioned, using either USB or memory cards is a much quicker approach to migrating data between the two devices.
I think we're getting our wires crossed here. If you rip media to a portable format, you have that on a PC. Why not plug the tablet into that PC to move it over, right? Having no USB port on the tab in this case makes no difference.

And I don't know what's wrong with your wifi, 350-700MB files copy pretty fast for me (1-2 minutes). With mobile formats being smaller than standard rips, it'd be even quicker.

Quote:
I don't actually keep movies on my home network, and don't intend to. I rip movies only for traveling and only the ones I plan to watch for that trip (I currently use a Viewsconic VPD400 for this). After the trip, the movies are removed. I already have a wall with the physical copy of the movie, so storing it digitally is a waste for my use case.
Then I still don't see what having a USB port on your tab does for you while you're on the road. If you've already ripped at home, transfered to your tab, you should be good to go. Unless you mean you're bringing both devices (the VPD400 AND a tab) in which case your portability case makes me

Quote:
My need is to be able to use my media when WiFi is not available or reliable. I'm not going to use media through the device when I'm inside my household. I don't need it when I'm sitting in a bar. If I'm playing with a tablet in a bar, I obviously need a different kind of help.

Being able to move, alter, manipulate media on a tablet quickly and easily is one of my needs. It may not be yours, which is ok, but it is one of mine. I will not buy a tablet which either does not have a USB port or can take memory cards. I would prefer support for memory cards, but either one would allow the use I expect for my needs.
Like I said, I agree that external mem cards would be good for expansion. I still don't see how having a USB port changes what you do unless you don't want to keep your media on the tablet and on a USB device for some reason.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Mar 4, 2011, 04:16 PM   #140
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
I think we're getting our wires crossed here. If you rip media to a portable format, you have that on a PC. Why not plug the tablet into that PC to move it over, right? Having no USB port on the tab in this case makes no difference.

And I don't know what's wrong with your wifi, 350-700MB files copy pretty fast for me (1-2 minutes). With mobile formats being smaller than standard rips, it'd be even quicker.

Then I still don't see what having a USB port on your tab does for you while you're on the road. If you've already ripped at home, transfered to your tab, you should be good to go. Unless you mean you're bringing both devices (the VPD400 AND a tab) in which case your portability case makes me

Like I said, I agree that external mem cards would be good for expansion. I still don't see how having a USB port changes what you do unless you don't want to keep your media on the tablet and on a USB device for some reason.
Yeah, Im trying to understand too... I guess he brings along a portable hard drive wherever he goes? If thats the case it makes sense... but why wouldnt you just transfer the movies right when they are ripped and save space?

If I'm traveling Im trying to carry things that are lighter... Im not trying to carry all this extra stuff.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 04:30 PM   #141
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by **G.I.BRO** View Post
I would like tablets to have usb (or whatever the standard was) connections because $$$$ proprietary connections wouldnt be needed. As for specifics, going off the top of my head, some tablets dont have cameras and by having a usb i would be able to hook up my web cam. External storage? What if i want to copy my camera pics onto it so i can share with people around me? Also not everyone has wifi or networked printers. Again if we sat around and walked through a computer/hobby store im sure we would be able to find a bunch more. The idea is that USB is so widely used it can offer so much more. I would also like to have an HDMI connection so i would be able to hook a tablet up to my HT so i can share movies and music. MMmmMMmMMMMMm...
That's the other argument for USB, peripherals.

Except the problem is, do tablets even support peripherals (outside of a full blown Win 7 tab, which is like a laptop anyhow)? You'd need to develop drivers for your tab OS and to ensure mass compatibility, it'd have to become bloated. The device that meets the usage cases you mentioned isn't a tablet, it's a mobile computer replacement. Something like a laptop or pc tablet.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Mar 4, 2011, 04:54 PM   #142
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Why not plug the tablet into that PC to move it over, right?
What type of interface am I using to "plug the tablet into the PC"?

BTW, I rip my movies larger than 300-700 mb. Typically around 2-3gb per movie.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 05:08 PM   #143
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
That's the other argument for USB, peripherals.

Except the problem is, do tablets even support peripherals (outside of a full blown Win 7 tab, which is like a laptop anyhow)? You'd need to develop drivers for your tab OS and to ensure mass compatibility, it'd have to become bloated. The device that meets the usage cases you mentioned isn't a tablet, it's a mobile computer replacement. Something like a laptop or pc tablet.
Good question, probably not.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 05:13 PM   #144
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:

The same way everyone does... the apple wire to USB into your computer.

Old Mar 4, 2011, 05:21 PM   #145
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
The same way everyone does... the apple wire to USB into your computer.
Yes! USB! So it's still a USB interface, Apple just has to collect a few dollars for that interaction. Ah yes, money for a special cable which is a standard interface. However, I'm assuming that's a standard output type for Mac's (I'm not a Mac guy, so I don't know)?

For me, I'm not talking iPad specifically, but any tablet style device as I mentioned above. I would require USB or a memory card slot.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 05:23 PM   #146
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
Yes! USB! So it's still a USB interface, Apple just has to collect a few dollars for that interaction. Ah yes, money for a special cable which is a standard interface. However, I'm assuming that's a standard output type for Mac's (I'm not a Mac guy, so I don't know)?

For me, I'm not talking iPad specifically, but any tablet style device as I mentioned above. I would require USB or a memory card slot.
No they dont collect any extra money... it comes with the tablet... just like any other tablet. Its apples proprietary cable, but you dont pay extra for it.

Old Mar 4, 2011, 09:09 PM   #147
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:

I'm pretty happy with those sizes on my 50" tv. Maybe you should check out different codecs, seems like a waste of space to me for a mobile purpose.

And yeah it's a proprietary header to USB, what's the point?

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Mar 5, 2011, 11:16 AM   #148
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:

If the screen is only 1024x768 why would you waste all that bandwidth?
_TiTaNiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2011, 11:28 AM   #149
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by _TiTaNiuM View Post
If the screen is only 1024x768 why would you waste all that bandwidth?
Maybe on an iPad, sure, but on a Xoom I'd easily rather have full 720p since the screen can output it and the aspect ratio is correct.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2011, 11:46 AM   #150
vitocorleone
Radeon Arctic Islands

vitocorleone is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
No they dont collect any extra money... it comes with the tablet... just like any other tablet. Its apples proprietary cable, but you dont pay extra for it.
Unlike HDMI out which is standard on the Xoom and, I wager, will be pretty standard on all Android tablets. $40 proprietary cable because they couldn't put a standard HDMI port on the device, which takes the iPad 2 even closer to the Xoom - plus I've seen a report (unconfirmed) that Sams' Club is carrying Xoom wi-fi for $539 which seems like a good price for it to me (assuming the apps come, else forget about it).

I love how supposedly serious, knowledgeable companies are still saying that the Xoom costs more than a comparably spec'd iPad.... when there is no comparably spec'd iPad (yet). I understand simplifying for a general audience, but being outright misleading is just free advertising for Apple.