Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Jul 2, 2006, 01:20 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default Superman IMAX

is it worth it seeing superman in IMAX?

What is the difference between an IMAX film and a normal film?

I have been to the Imax theater at the liberty Science centr, and i think it was the biggest imax theater in the world.

But i gots a feeling that the theater i am going to will look nothing like that.
see that sphere? thats the damn screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 01:22 PM   #2
NYHecK
Bad motha-shut yo mouth!™

NYHecK is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

I wanted to see it in Imax last night but even thou i got there an hour early it was sold out, as well as the next showing. There is 18 minutes of the movie in 3-d. that's really the only difference. oh and the big ass humungous screen.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 01:32 PM   #3
RedQueen
Radeon Volcanic Islands

RedQueen is still being judged by the masses

the superman for imax will be 3d also!
edit.. not sure if it would be in the states. maybe

RedQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 2, 2006, 02:01 PM   #4
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

its playing at 71st and hwy 169 in tulsa... thats quite a distance. but i saw harry potter GoF there and it was really cool. i love the surround sound and the big as screen. well worth the $10 for a ticket

maybe i should go again for superman?

Learn to embed videos in your posts, highlight text, and even post code!
sittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 02:34 PM   #5
Nasheroni
The Real Thing

Nasheroni is still being judged by the masses

I went to see some movies in grade 9 in an IMAX theater, In-F'ing-credible. This one was like quarter of a sphere, we couldn't look at all of the scene at the same time, if it's a theater like that, go for it.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 02:39 PM   #6
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

dude, that damn screen is 70ft tall and that wide. there are over 30 speakers in the theater

Old Jul 2, 2006, 02:46 PM   #7
DivineUnknown
Radeon R420

DivineUnknown is still being judged by the masses

IMAX is def worth it, i've only seen some documentary on the tour de france, but even that was intenseon that screen. if i could only hook up my rig to an IMAX projector. IMAX OBLIVION
ZALMAN CNP9500 HSF
ASUS A8232-MVP DELUXE
ATI RADEON X1950XTX & X1900XTX IN CROSSFIRE
CORSAIR XMS PC3200 2GB (2-3-2-5)
OCZ MODSTREAM 520W PSU
DivineUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 02:50 PM   #8
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

ZOMG IMAX CS:S!!!!

zomg rofl poon!

still, i am currently making plans to get a group of ppl around to see it

Old Jul 2, 2006, 03:19 PM   #9
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineUnknown
IMAX is def worth it, i've only seen some documentary on the tour de france, but even that was intenseon that screen. if i could only hook up my rig to an IMAX projector. IMAX OBLIVION
haha

I've only seen documentaries on IMAX, like underwater stuff. and o god.... jet flying across the grand canyon. F'n amazing.

Quote:
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 04:56 PM   #10
DrHLecter
Chemist

DrHLecter is still being judged by the masses

Meh, i wish i could see it in IMAX, but i'd have to go to London and that is a fair way away.

DrHLecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 05:29 PM   #11
Tyrion
Cybernetic Journalist

Tyrion is still being judged by the masses

I saw Spiderman 2 in an I-max theater. Toby Maguire has a horseshoe mark on his right cheek. Did you know that? I didn't know that.

So yeah, Imax is pretty nice but it reveals lots of details you'd rather not know.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 05:41 PM   #12
Heymanyo
Banned

Heymanyo is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax
is it worth it seeing superman in IMAX?

What is the difference between an IMAX film and a normal film?

I have been to the Imax theater at the liberty Science centr, and i think it was the biggest imax theater in the world.

But i gots a feeling that the theater i am going to will look nothing like that.
see that sphere? thats the damn screen.
I've been there several times and it rocked every single time

and on topic... I'm going to see it in 3d (gimmick) IMAX (not a gimmick) probably sometime this week at Loews Lincoln Square. I saw Charlie and the Chocolate factory in IMAX and it was

btw, hyrax, the password for the computers there is LSC. At least, it was the last time I went. I deleted Windows
Heymanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 06:17 PM   #13
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heymanyo
I've been there several times and it rocked every single time

and on topic... I'm going to see it in 3d (gimmick) IMAX (not a gimmick) probably sometime this week at Loews Lincoln Square. I saw Charlie and the Chocolate factory in IMAX and it was

btw, hyrax, the password for the computers there is LSC. At least, it was the last time I went. I deleted Windows

that had to have caused some headaches

i think it's under construction now. coincidence?

Quote:
Old Jul 2, 2006, 06:38 PM   #14
Quickstrike
Verification Required.

Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Don't forget... most of the technology was made in Canada.

Main PC : Intel Core i7 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS P8P67 Pro, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1866-DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Boost, Sound Blaster Zx, Klipsch 5.1 Ultras, Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD, 8TB Seagate Archive, 6TB WD Black, 4TB HGST, 3.0TB Seagate x 2, 1.5TB Seagate x 2, Corsair AX850W PSU, Cooler Master HAF 932, 21" NEC [email protected]

HTPC : Intel Core i5 3570K, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo, Asus Maximus V Gene, 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1600-DDR3, ASUS 5850 Direct CU, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750W, Silverstone SG09B.

Virtual Server : Intel Core2Quad Q6600, Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme, Gigabyte P35-DS3R, 16GB OCZ DDR2, eVGA 8800GTX, 74GB Raptor, 500GB Seagate x 4, Intel Ethernet port x 4, Silverstone TJ06.
Quickstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 12:49 AM   #15
rob75383
Venture Bros.

rob75383 is still being judged by the masses

Are you guys sure you will see the enitre full length feature???... I will edit this post with details later, but I remember that the Apollo 13 IMAX version was missing scenes. They had to cut the film length down for some reason... I think its due to theatres having only 1 projector, versus the multiple projectors involved with normal celluliod.

<edit>Here's what I found at Wikipedia under IMAX:
In the fall of 2002, IMAX and Universal Studios released a new IMAX-format of the 1995 theatrical film Apollo 13. This release marked the first use of the IMAX-proprietary "DMR" (Digital Re-mastering) process that allowed conventional films to be converted into IMAX format. Other theatrically-released films, including Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones, would subsequently be re-released at IMAX venues using the DMR process. In 2003 a notable IMAX re-release, again using the DMR process, was The Matrix Reloaded. Later in 2003, the sequel The Matrix Revolutions was the first live action film to be released simultaneously in IMAX and conventional theaters, the first feature film being Treasure Planet. Because of a technical limitation on the size of the film reel, these early DMR releases were edited to conform to a two-hour length limitation.

<2nd edit> I was unable to find any more info on the "technical limitations" of the "early DMR releases" that would show that they have found a way to overcome the 2 hour length limit...
So if Superman is under 2 hours long, my point is moot, and I'm sorry to have wasted your time...

Last edited by rob75383 : Jul 3, 2006 at 01:01 AM.
rob75383 is offline   Reply With Quote