Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Feb 24, 2019, 08:03 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Monitor Apollo 11 Imax 3/1/19

Creepin criminy, it's only airing for one week. I may have to drive to KC for this one. Maybe the WWI movie will still be up there.

Old Feb 24, 2019, 09:42 PM   #2
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:27 PM   #3
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I saw it live

but I do want to see it in HD
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:35 PM   #4
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
I saw it live

but I do want to see it in HD
So did I but I was 2.

yoz
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:44 AM   #5
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
So did I but I was 2.
I was 10 and watched it on a old RCA console tv that it's remote worked on sound so it would flip thru channels every time the phone rang
Old Feb 25, 2019, 09:48 AM   #6
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
I was 10 and watched it on a old RCA console tv that it's remote worked on sound so it would flip thru channels every time the phone rang
, awesome.

yoz
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:35 AM   #7
Jay20016
Truth Doesn't Make Fact

Jay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Not sure if I'll watch it due to too few of American flags.

One has to wonder how this much 70mm footage just gets forgotten somewhere.

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."
Jay20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:37 AM   #8
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay20016 View Post

yoz
Old Feb 25, 2019, 09:47 PM   #9
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:

I'm taking my own and anyone who don't like it kinn gedoffuh mah lawn!

Putthatinyourpipeandsmokeit.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:40 PM   #10
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

I wonder if we get to see director commentary by Stanley Kubrick
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2019, 08:20 AM   #11
Akumajo
White Devil Bastard

Akumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:

Trump is bound to call this movie "fake news" what are you talking about?

"Originally Posted by Napoleonic View Post
If anything there's just still too many guilible people in the fanbase willing to accept this garbage star wars disney/Kennedy edition."

Helghast... till the end of days!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruxcT6LEVzk Disney Star Wars SUCKS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QESGXTFFZXM Kaz PTVD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dogMXzbz9js
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L--rU3Wq3WU My Bugatti V
Akumajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2019, 09:50 AM   #12
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisberg View Post
Ha!

yoz
Old Mar 2, 2019, 07:18 PM   #13
acroig
Master Troll

Just saw it. 9.5/10. Amazing footage. Can't believe it's been 50 years.

yoz
Old Mar 2, 2019, 09:12 PM   #14
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Apparently the 1 week run was an early viewing and it will be more widely available eventually. Heard from a space nerd that it's real good, and that the found ground footage is really amazing quality given the age.

A straight telling of the story with mostly original footage, but what a story it is.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2019, 09:27 AM   #15
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJMasta View Post
Apparently the 1 week run was an early viewing and it will be more widely available eventually. Heard from a space nerd that it's real good, and that the found ground footage is really amazing quality given the age.

A straight telling of the story with mostly original footage, but what a story it is.
That's exactly what it is. The new footage is amazing to see. I highly recommend this on IMAX, well worth the price.

yoz
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:31 AM   #16
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I will agree. 9.5/10...

It was an amazing film. Well worth the price of admission. Took the whole family too. Every kiddo had a blast.

Seeing a young Johnny Carson in the crowd the day of the launch made my day.

IMAX is the way to go. The sound from the launch was outstanding!
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2019, 03:35 PM   #17
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
I will agree. 9.5/10...

It was an amazing film. Well worth the price of admission. Took the whole family too. Every kiddo had a blast.

Seeing a young Johnny Carson in the crowd the day of the launch made my day.

What the man said.

yoz
Old Mar 5, 2019, 09:47 PM   #18
JZL
Starship Trooper

Quote:
I will agree. 9.5/10...

Take earplugs?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 03:16 AM   #19
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZL View Post
Take earplugs?
Nope. It's not a high pitch sound. It sounded like being in a car with a kick-arse system in the 90's. It shook the seat with rumbling bass.

The IMAX video quality is outstandingly amazing as well. For me, the sound system, especially the launch, was as equally amazing as the video quality.

I'm a huge NASA nerd. Grew up on the Marshall Space Center. My grandfather and grandmother both worked on base. Right across from the neutral buoyancy tank. I'd go with them to work in the summer a lot as a kid. I find all things NASA amazing to this day. That being said this was one of the best documentaries I have seen. PERIOD. I was absolutely floored by how well it was done. The wife mentioned that it was like going back in time but with a really good camera.

My only dislike for it was that they didn't do as much as I would have liked on after the mission. I also wanted more on the overall effect that the mission had on the nation and the world as a whole. I'd have sat through another 30~45 minutes of the film for more. Hard to call that a dislike but if they'd have added a little more in I'd have given it a 10/10.

This movie was well worth the price of admission.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:17 AM   #20
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
I'm a huge NASA nerd. Grew up on the Marshall Space Center. My grandfather and grandmother both worked on base. Right across from the neutral buoyancy tank. I'd go with them to work in the summer a lot as a kid. I find all things NASA amazing to this day. That being said this was one of the best documentaries I have seen. PERIOD. I was absolutely floored by how well it was done. The wife mentioned that it was like going back in time but with a really good camera.

yoz
Old May 22, 2019, 04:34 PM   #21
JZL
Starship Trooper

"DVD/Blu-Ray launch in 10 . . . 9 . . . 8 . . . "
[oh fack it, it's out!]
Old May 22, 2019, 11:57 PM   #22
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

I can remember the nasa control room and everyone smoking like a chimneys

……..

and it's up on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Apollo-11-Tod...gateway&sr=8-3

and bought
Old May 23, 2019, 02:57 AM   #23
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Well made documentary, IMO. Personally, I'd like to see more coverage of Apollo 12 and 14-17, particularly the last three missions with the lunar rover. Those were much longer, more scientific, and more interesting than the first one, which was more of a quick look around and gathering a few samples. Recording technology improved during the program, so there should be a good amount of high quality film footage to choose from.
Old May 23, 2019, 02:45 PM   #24
Athena
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZL View Post
"DVD/Blu-Ray launch in 10 . . . 9 . . . 8 . . . "
[oh fack it, it's out!]
I hope they release a 4K version!!
Old May 23, 2019, 05:07 PM   #25
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
I hope they release a 4K version!!
won't happen till we go back

a lot of the 1969 video looks a little ruff on hd
Old May 23, 2019, 06:31 PM   #26
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Old May 28, 2019, 02:08 AM   #27
warmonger180
Zionist

warmonger180 once held a door open for a complete strangerwarmonger180 once held a door open for a complete strangerwarmonger180 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisberg View Post
wouldn't that be the tip of the eisberg, tho I think tacos are a better place

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Franklin

Corsair Vengeance M70; ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z; FX 8350; Asus RX580 OC; Samsung SyncMaster 2243SWX; Corsair AX860i psu; 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3; Corsair M4 SSD 128GB, WD 1TB; x18 DVR212D; 10
warmonger180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2019, 09:20 PM   #28
JZL
Starship Trooper

Quote:
won't happen till we go back

a lot of the 1969 video looks a little ruff on hd
Were they shooting video then? Weren't they using film? Wouldn't that translate well to 4K?

ETA: Apparently it was a mix of video (news footage?) 16mm film (in space), some 35mm, and recently re-discovered 65mm. The 65mm was shot using the same cameras (model of cameras) that were used to film Lawrence of Arabia and Cleopatra.

I haven't seen this in a theater.

Last edited by JZL : Jun 4, 2019 at 09:28 PM.
JZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2019, 03:07 PM   #29
acroig
Master Troll

Apollo 11 being broadcast on CNN on Sunday. Don't miss it!!

yoz
Old Jul 5, 2019, 09:17 PM   #30
JZL
Starship Trooper

Dunno if this deserves it's own thread, so I'll schtick it here:

Also in honor of the 50th anniversary of the moon landing, HBO is re-airing its epic series From the Earth to the Moon, re-mastered, starting July 15th. I think it will also be available via disc.

[consider it schtuck]