Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Radeon Software.

Old Jun 29, 2003, 11:52 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Tec
Old, bitter & incontinent

Tec is still being judged by the masses

Exclamation Damm! CAT 3.5 multi-monitor support ROCKS!

Major kudos to the Catalyst team! Multi-monitor support is dramatically improved in 3.5!

I've used dual monitors since the 9700 Pro showed up, but every time I accidentally launched a game with both monitors on I would get *****-slapped good and hard, to the point of nearly losing work. As such, I've developed a habit of automatically killing the second monitor before launching a game; it was just never stable.

But I just accidentally launched a game with the second monitor on and -- wtf? It worked fine? Something in the 3.5 update?

So I just went and launched every game I could find, and everything runs perfectly now! Hell games that shouldn't work because they're just too old and crusty ran perfectly! Rocking! A killer job by the CAT dev team considering the cesspool that is multi-monitor support, with unready apps, quirky APIs and demented edge conditions.

This second monitor is never going off now!
Tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2003, 01:16 PM   #2
Rev_B
Radeon R420

Rev_B is still being judged by the masses

Yes, but it really can´t compare with THIS . Very very good. I wonder why ATi doesn´t offer a similar level of funcionality with their drivers.
Rev_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2003, 02:08 PM   #3
mad
:mad:

mad is not someone to be trifled withmad is not someone to be trifled withmad is not someone to be trifled withmad is not someone to be trifled withmad is not someone to be trifled withmad is not someone to be trifled withmad is not someone to be trifled withmad is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally posted by Rev_B
I wonder why ATi doesn´t offer a similar level of funcionality with their drivers.
Perhaps it would be too expensive for them? And i think most users can live with the supplied functionality.
mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 29, 2003, 02:45 PM   #4
BOGEYMAN1 CGA
Radeon R420

BOGEYMAN1 CGA is still being judged by the masses

I for one would like more options in dual monitor setups ...........

AMD 1800 T-BRED XP (running at 1730 mhz) 512 MB RAM PC 2700 333 MHZ
Radeon 9800 PRO 128 MB
330 Antec PSU Smart Power
3Dmark scores dont matter anymore
Many Many Fans
BOGEYMAN1 CGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2003, 02:46 PM   #5
HENNESSY
Radeon R420

HENNESSY is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Damm! CAT 3.5 multi-monitor support ROCKS!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tec
But I just accidentally launched a game with the second monitor on and -- wtf? It worked fine? Something in the 3.5 update?
Cat 3.1 was my first driver and it's been working fine since the beginning for me, maybe it was something else on your computer causing weirdness. I wish they'd really improve dual monitors and make hotkeys work
Old Jun 29, 2003, 05:00 PM   #6
Tec

Quote:
Yes, but it really can´t compare with THIS . Very very good. I wonder why ATi doesn´t offer a similar level of funcionality with their drivers.
Yes that's certainly a nice utility. Much of the stuff is pointless but it'd be nice to see some of this functionality incorporated into future driver releases.
Old Jun 29, 2003, 05:01 PM   #7
Tec

Default Re: Re: Damm! CAT 3.5 multi-monitor support ROCKS!

Quote:
Originally posted by HENNESSY
Cat 3.1 was my first driver and it's been working fine since the beginning for me ... I wish they'd really improve dual monitors and make hotkeys work
Heh, so which is it? Fine or in need of work?
Old Jun 29, 2003, 05:07 PM   #8
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Err, doesn't anyone using multiple monitors install ATi's HYDRAVISION software??????

http://mirror.ati.com/companyinfo/gl...dravision.html

Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2003, 05:13 PM   #9
Rev_B
Radeon R420

Quote:
Perhaps it would be too expensive for them? And i think most users can live with the supplied functionality.
I agree that most Radeon users don´t have dual monitor setups. However, if ATi is willing to spend the time optimizing 3dfart for the extra 1 fps, I´m sure they also have the resources to code a multimonitor utility.

Quote:
Err, doesn't anyone using multiple monitors install ATi's HYDRAVISION software??????
It doesn´t have smart taskbar, useful hotkeys and shotcuts, icon position saving, diferent wallpapers on each desktop, GUI integration like Ultramon. But it should, IMO. Just use both.
Old Jun 29, 2003, 05:58 PM   #10
HENNESSY
Radeon R420

HENNESSY is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Re: Re: Damm! CAT 3.5 multi-monitor support ROCKS!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tec
Heh, so which is it? Fine or in need of work?
What you are saying that didnt before has always been workin fine for me, so that is/was fine.

So for me they didnt improve anything for dual monitors. Ever since they introduced hotkeys they didnt work when extended desktop was enabled so I feel they don't care so much about dual monitors..
Old Jun 29, 2003, 08:04 PM   #11
Tec

Quote:
Originally posted by Clockwork
Um, (cough), oops, yeah I knew that.

I actually had forgotten all about it. The last time I looked into Hydravision was when multi-mon was still unstable so I didn't add more to the load, so to speak.

That said, Rev_B is right. While Hydravision is obviously the intended multi-monitor feature set, UltraMon's feature selection is much more useful.
Old Jun 30, 2003, 07:05 AM   #12
Dutchboy
Radeon R420

Dutchboy is still being judged by the masses

Got a question, is it possible to set the monitors at independant resolutions, for instance can i set my monitor to 1296x960 and my tv to 1024x768? As at the moment im changing my monitor resolution all the time to 1024 so the tv gets full screen of my desktop...
Dutchboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 07:33 AM   #13
Rev_B
Radeon R420

You can do it with 2 monitors (using the VGA/DVI outputs), but I´m not sure if it´s possible with TV out.
Old Jun 30, 2003, 07:40 AM   #14
mad
:mad:

mad is not someone to be trifled withmad is not someone to be trifled withmad is not someone to be trifled withmad is not someone to be trifled withmad is not someone to be trifled withmad is not someone to be trifled withmad is not someone to be trifled withmad is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
It doesn´t have smart taskbar, useful hotkeys and shotcuts, icon position saving, diferent wallpapers on each desktop, GUI integration like Ultramon. But it should, IMO. Just use both.
They DO have different wallpapers on each desktop, or at least once had them. (I'm not using hydravision anymore, but used it a while back...) And I think they have icon position saving too... but i'm not sure about that.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."

Richard Cook

Last edited by mad : Jun 30, 2003 at 09:50 AM.
mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 11:36 AM   #15
Vegie
we all like to be on top.

Vegie is still being judged by the masses

yeh i use duals but when it fked it self in 3.4 i stopped
Old Jun 30, 2003, 11:48 AM   #16
Solomon
Radeon R200

Solomon is still being judged by the masses

Hydravision is terrible. I use Ultramon. I tell all people who use a Dual monitor setup to use Ultramon. It's a lot better then Hydracrap.

Of course Matrox owns in the Dual Monitor setup

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
3DChipset.com
Old Jun 30, 2003, 01:07 PM   #17
ATsirogiannis
Radeon R700

ATsirogiannis is still being judged by the masses

Actually Matrox ownz in the Triple monitor department as well.
ATsirogiannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 04:45 PM   #18
AlphaMatrix
Radeon R200

AlphaMatrix is still being judged by the masses

I have a 22" monitor and am thinking of getting an LCD as a secondary monitor. I'd like to get a 16" LCD and use it for Photoshop/Illustrator/Dreamweaver/etc tools, WinAmp, ICQ, etc. The thing is my 22" monitor's viewable area measures 16"w x 12"h and 16" LCDs measures 12.5"w x 10"h roughly. What I want to do is rotate the 16" LCD 90 degrees so that the 12.5" side of the LCD will be right beside the 12" side of my CRT. Does Hyrdavison allow me to rotate the image on my secondary display 90 degrees? If not, what software can I get to do this?

Also, what LCD would you guys recommend? I need it to be roughly 12" inchs wide [+/-0.5" max], rotatable and height adjustable.
WinXP Pro SP2 | DX9c | P4 3 Ghz | Intel D865PERLX | ATi Radeon 9700 Pro | SB Audigy 2 | 2x512Mb RAM 400Mhz CAS 2.5 | 2x80Gb WD 8Mb | ViewSonic 22" P225FB | NEC ND-3500AG 16x DVD-RW | Pioneer 16x 106S DVD | Logitech Elite Keyboard | Logitech MX700 Mouse |
AlphaMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 05:12 PM   #19
kboye
9700PRO RIP

kboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultykboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Dual monitor, with games, has worked great for me since the day I got my 9700PRO, including gaming. Around october 2002 I believe. Very nice, having the taskbar, Yahoo Messenger, clock, system monitoring (temperature readings), and my own MP3 player on the right screen, and play a game fullscreen on the first one. Never failed.
kboye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 05:47 PM   #20
Tec

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaMatrix
I have a 22" monitor and am thinking of getting an LCD as a secondary monitor.
When I first added a second monitor, I went with a 17" that I had around, but I found the difference in display quality was really, really annoying. Eventually I realized I was subconciously avoiding the second screen!

So I went looking and found another matching 22" (Nokia 445Pro) and found it was much better. Gaming-wise of course this isn't so critical because the displays are very different, but when working with the desktop it's much nicer to have them match.

(FWIW..)
Old Jul 1, 2003, 09:36 AM   #21
AlphaMatrix
Radeon R200

AlphaMatrix is still being judged by the masses

Thanks for the reply Tec, but my current monitor cost me about $1000 USD, so I'm not overly inclined to get another one just for Photoshop tools. I just want the extra screen space on my beautiful primary monitor and stick the tool windows on an LCD secondary that's about the same height when it's rotated.
WinXP Pro SP2 | DX9c | P4 3 Ghz | Intel D865PERLX | ATi Radeon 9700 Pro | SB Audigy 2 | 2x512Mb RAM 400Mhz CAS 2.5 | 2x80Gb WD 8Mb | ViewSonic 22" P225FB | NEC ND-3500AG 16x DVD-RW | Pioneer 16x 106S DVD | Logitech Elite Keyboard | Logitech MX700 Mouse |
AlphaMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2003, 09:42 AM   #22
VileSorcery
Bzzt!

VileSorcery is still being judged by the masses

I've never had a problem with ATi's multi-monitor s/w.
VileSorcery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2003, 10:27 AM   #23
Falcon1
Free Bird

Falcon1 is still being judged by the masses

I never had any problems with my Dual Monitor Setup. Using ATi cards since 2.2 or something like that.