Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Radeon Software.

Old Aug 26, 2002, 01:28 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
cdiamond

cdiamond is still being judged by the masses

Angry Multi Monitor Support?

Anyone try the new driver set 6143 with dual plug an play monitors (perferably on a 8500 with XP)?

I have not been able to get dual monitor support to work correctlys since the introduction of the Catalyst drivers.

Once you install the driver and set up the monitors, which run at different resolutions, and then reboot the machine the PC always comes back up at the lowest res on both displays.

With the older drivers, this works fine. No help from ATI on this issue.

Cliff Diamond
cdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2002, 07:30 AM   #2
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Angry

I have had this problem since before catalyst. I even tried a format and that didnt fix it either. If you run dxdiag from the run box you will probably notice that both monitors are listed as the same and there is no way to change it. I just live with it by disabling the second monitor before I shutdown. Its garabage and I sure would like a fix to it. Although many people here claim to get it to work correctly. There is either something wrong with the monitor drivers the ATI drivers or windows XP. Who knows which. And there is no way to correct it from what I can tell and I have tried.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2002, 07:41 AM   #3
d_b
Radeon R100

d_b is still being judged by the masses

Have you tried going to display properties, settings, advanced, displays? Check the refresh rates reported there. You might want to uncheck "Use DDC Information" or check it if its not checked.
d_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 28, 2002, 12:34 PM   #4
cdiamond

cdiamond is still being judged by the masses

I tried playing with the DDC settings, but nothing worked. Just wondering if anyone who had the problem before tried the new drivers.

Cliff
cdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2002, 08:01 PM   #5
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Believe me Ive tried everything with this problem. What is totally strange is in display properties the 2 different monitors show up correctly but running dxdiag shows that this isnt the case and that both monitors are using the same driver and XP thinks they are both the same monitor. I ask again ATI what is the deal with this problem. That is why your monitor changes at shutdown and powerup. Only way around it is to disable monitor before you shutdown then re-enable after power up.
Old Aug 29, 2002, 03:08 AM   #6
AlieN TwiN

AlieN TwiN is still being judged by the masses

Yes I still have this problem to. I've spent hours digging, trying to find a fix for months. You would think ati would have had the same problem even testing multi monitors or solved this problem or even addressed it. Anyone recall when after using TV out and enabling the second monitor it gets all f---ed up. This problem seems to be fixed now at least
AlieN TwiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2002, 09:55 AM   #7
d_b
Radeon R100

Strange you all are having problems I'm using the 6143's without a problem. I use Ultramon , maybe that's the key. Just guessing though
Old Aug 29, 2002, 12:31 PM   #8
dubmaster

dubmaster is still being judged by the masses

Ultramon disables DirectDraw acceleration and it's impossible to run any overlay program such as dvdplayers or DScaler.
The second problem is that is no more possible to have the hw overlay cloned on both monitors, 6043 was the last release to support this, after that TheaterMode was introduced and you can't have the same output on both display (very useful in HomeTheater setups)

bye
dubmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2002, 02:50 PM   #9
d_b
Radeon R100

Ultramon doesn't disable DVD players. At least not Power DVD (if that's one of the players you're refering to). As for your other comments I don't know.
Old Aug 30, 2002, 10:05 AM   #10
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Quote:
Originally posted by AlieN TwiN
Yes I still have this problem to. I've spent hours digging, trying to find a fix for months. You would think ati would have had the same problem even testing multi monitors or solved this problem or even addressed it. Anyone recall when after using TV out and enabling the second monitor it gets all f---ed up. This problem seems to be fixed now at least
Yea, I dont understand what the big deal is here. I truly believe this is an ATI driver issue. Im not the only one with this problem obviously, I have seen other people as well over the last 2 months having the same problem. I really wish this would get fixed. What makes the problem even worst for me is its using the driver for the monitor that only supports 1024x768 so I must disable the 2nd monitor when playing games as well so the right monitor driver will be used. Its just a pain that seems like it could be fixed in the driver easyly. It worked somewhat for me only when the drivers didnt recognize what kind of monitor it was and used the defualt monitor setting many drivers back. Since catalyst though it has allways put a driver in for my monitor.
Old Sep 3, 2002, 03:27 PM   #11
AlieN TwiN

AlieN TwiN is still being judged by the masses

I have found a solution. All you do is leave the power on the second monitor off while booting. Then turn it on when win. is finished loading. I have dcc enabled on both monitors. If I leave the power on while booting then my res gets messed up. Enjoy
AlieN TwiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2002, 03:42 PM   #12
dubmaster

dubmaster is still being judged by the masses

Gonna try this, thanks for the tip.

anyway if i let the dvi dlp disconnected or unplugged there is no image on the dvi port until reboot, never did the trick unplugging the vga monitor.

i'll keep u updated

bye
dubmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 11:57 AM   #13
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Quote:
Originally posted by AlieN TwiN
I have found a solution. All you do is leave the power on the second monitor off while booting. Then turn it on when win. is finished loading. I have dcc enabled on both monitors. If I leave the power on while booting then my res gets messed up. Enjoy
lol, Yea never thought of doing that, That should work but doesnt really fix the problem. Within DirectX windows still thinks the monitors are the same. But since it isnt on, Windows doesnt see it until you turn it on. Although now to think of it you should probably shut the monitor off before windows shuts down. I had the resolution change on me on shutdown before as well, But not all the time.