Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:58 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Quickfixx
City Boy

Quickfixx is still being judged by the masses

Default Photoshop tips and tricks

I'm fairly new to the world of photoshop and post processing, but I always hear about tips that people use to make their photos look better, cleaner, sharper, etc etc.

What sites, tips do you guys use for photo processing?

Thanks for sharing guys.
Quickfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:01 PM   #2
Djinn
Rage3D Fixture

Djinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete stranger

Most pictures that I take benefit from minor adjustments to the Levels. You can use the auto-level function, and it's usually pretty close, but I prefer to adjust them manually.

Most important; NEVER save as a jpg file more than once. If you need to work on the file for a few days, save the intermediate versions as PSD files, or BMPs, or some other lossless file that results in a huge datafile.

The very, very last step is to save it as a JPG.

- Robert Ingersoll (1833 - 1899)
Djinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:03 PM   #3
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

Post processing is teh bomb. I go down the list of blends until i get something good.
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:05 PM   #4
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

He's around here somewhere....

The man with.... the ANSWERS!!!

(do a search or look in the pictures thread, theres a couple real experts here)
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:07 PM   #5
Quickfixx
City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djinn
Most pictures that I take benefit from minor adjustments to the Levels. You can use the auto-level function, and it's usually pretty close, but I prefer to adjust them manually.

Most important; NEVER save as a jpg file more than once. If you need to work on the file for a few days, save the intermediate versions as PSD files, or BMPs, or some other lossless file that results in a huge datafile.

The very, very last step is to save it as a JPG.
Hey Djinn,
Any particular reason why you shouldn't save as JPG over and over? Thanks for the trick.

A friend of mine was telling me yesterday that if you really want to resize a pic to blow it up, the best way to do it is to always resize at 110%. You can repeatedly resize at 110%, and not lose too much quality..
true?
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:23 PM   #6
riho
Breaking a take

riho can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyriho can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickfixx
Hey Djinn,
Any particular reason why you shouldn't save as JPG over and over? Thanks for the trick.

A friend of mine was telling me yesterday that if you really want to resize a pic to blow it up, the best way to do it is to always resize at 110%. You can repeatedly resize at 110%, and not lose too much quality..
true?
Because JPG uses compression and everytime you save as jpg alittle of the picture quality is lost. And no you can't resize repeatedly wihtout loosing quality. Because you still got a fixed number of pixels or picture information and you can't have more of it. That's like making something out of nothing.
riho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:32 PM   #7
Djinn
Rage3D Fixture

Djinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rihosims
Because JPG uses compression and everytime you save as jpg alittle of the picture quality is lost. And no you can't resize repeatedly wihtout loosing quality. Because you still got a fixed number of pixels or picture information and you can't have more of it. That's like making something out of nothing.
Exactly; JPG is a great image format, but you don't want to save an image in a "lossy format" more than once. For that reason, I frequently use the "Lossless JPG Rotation" add-on for Irfanview. It simply rotates and saves your image, without re-compressing it (which would result in a data loss).

Likewise, don't "keep resizing at 110%." Figure out the correct percentage, and resize the image once.

- Robert Ingersoll (1833 - 1899)
Djinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:29 AM   #8
Quickfixx
City Boy

Talking

Thanks!,
any more?
Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:42 AM   #9
-=Antimatter=-
Radeon Sea Islands

-=Antimatter=- is still being judged by the masses

-=Antimatter=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:42 AM   #10
RFtinkerer
Not with it

RFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Use "bicubic smoother" to enlarge, "bicubic sharper" to reduce, do it in one step. Use "smart sharpen" just before printing or saving to web, play with the amount and radius to your liking (100% and 0.9 radius are a good start.) Clone tools will probably be your most used items if you do simple touch-ups like me. Learn how to use the healing brush and patch tool well, they are often 1-step clean-ups if your surrounding colors are similar. If they are not, you need to use the straight clone and adjust the blend..."lighten" blending for dark blemishes is typical.

Never use "auto levels"; you'll soon see why. It tears up the color ratios. Auto contrast, auto color, are sometimes okay. Having said that, I never use them anymore...I do all white balance and contrast manipulations in RAW.