Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old May 3, 2011, 01:05 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Default So that's why the Transformer sold out...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/03/s...-production-t/

Quote:
So, it seems that ASUS' Eee Pad Transformer has been hard to find, at least in part due to reasons other than customer demand. According to Netbook News, the Taiwanese company is having trouble sourcing the supplies needed to build the tablet / keyboard combo in sufficient numbers. For now, that means only 10,000 Transformers a month -- a fraction of the 300,000 ASUS was reportedly hoping to make. Word on the web suggests components in greater quantities are coming soon, and production will ramp up significantly in June. Until then, would-be owners will have to go the beg, borrow, or steal route to get one. Investing in a horseshoe or four-leaf clover might not be a bad idea, either.
So it wasn't much demand, it was such limited supply. Pretty weak. The Xoom launched with 250k units in the supply chain, sales are decent, not amazing, but obviously better than the Transformer since there's a LOT more supply.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 02:44 AM   #2
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

You can't ever get enough of stroking your zoom huh

On a rational note, you can't compare demand of the two products and come to any meaningful conclusion. Given the asus' lower price point you'd expect it to retain a higher level of demand once supply becomes more normal anyhow.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 04:19 AM   #3
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

i will buy asus transformer over Xoom anyday LOL
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 3, 2011, 09:02 AM   #4
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

I gotta admit that Transformer is pretty damned sexy.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 09:14 AM   #5
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

-IPS LED? screen
-SRS sound
-functional SD card
-cheaper

Transformer FTW.

Edit: Check out the quality of that screen baby:

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/1740...oom-with-pics/

Demand is gonna be high based on that alone.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"

Last edited by Zero : May 3, 2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old May 3, 2011, 09:52 AM   #6
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc326 View Post
i will buy asus transformer over Xoom anyday LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
I gotta admit that Transformer is pretty damned sexy.

spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 10:22 AM   #7
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

if I were to get a tablet the Transformer would be on my short list now. IPS > All.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 11:10 AM   #8
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post

You can't ever get enough of stroking your zoom huh

On a rational note, you can't compare demand of the two products and come to any meaningful conclusion. Given the asus' lower price point you'd expect it to retain a higher level of demand once supply becomes more normal anyhow.
You crazy. I've told people on this very forum if I were buying a WiFi only tablet right now it'd be the Transformer. This thread is only addressing why it's sold out, and it's not because they released even 100k and they sold quickly, it's because they have limited manufacturing.
Old May 3, 2011, 11:54 AM   #9
Zero
Sass hole

*sigh* take an econ class and get back to me.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old May 3, 2011, 12:00 PM   #10
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
*sigh* take an econ class and get back to me.
Took one this summer, your point being?
Old May 3, 2011, 12:03 PM   #11
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

I'm not sure what econ classes have to do with stroking his Xoom, knock it off you two.

Any update on the keyboard attachment being available anytime soon?
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 12:09 PM   #12
Zero
Sass hole

We're talking, or at least I'm talking, about supply and demand. What's the problem?

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old May 3, 2011, 12:13 PM   #13
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

i think the next generation Tablet will be even more interesting. with QuadCore Tegra 3. Which should have graphic performance that close to or even exceed the console we have today.

i will wait

Old May 3, 2011, 12:14 PM   #14
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
We're talking, or at least I'm talking, about supply and demand. What's the problem?
Considering such limited supply, it's nearly impossible to figure out actual demand at this point. Demand could be 10001 units per month or millions, so I really have no idea what your point is.
Old May 3, 2011, 12:15 PM   #15
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
i think the next generation Tablet will be even more interesting. with QuadCore Tegra 3. Which should have graphic performance that close to or even exceed the console we have today.

i will wait
Kal-El is gonna be insane. I made the decision not to wait but that doesn't mean I won't flip my Xoom when Kal-El tablets launch!
Old May 3, 2011, 12:16 PM   #16
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Kal-El is gonna be insane. I made the decision not to wait but that doesn't mean I won't flip my Xoom when Kal-El tablets launch!
i have to wait , since i have tegra 2 cellphone already

Tegra3 should have no issue goign against some of the OLD GEneration CPU we have like amd 4400 etc.. just guess

Old May 3, 2011, 12:17 PM   #17
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Considering such limited supply, it's nearly impossible to figure out actual demand at this point. Demand could be 10001 units per month or millions, so I really have no idea what your point is.
That is my point, you have no way of determining supply accurately right now. So why state that it didn't sell out due to demand?

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old May 3, 2011, 12:22 PM   #18
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
That is my point, you have no way of determining supply accurately right now. So why state that it didn't sell out due to demand?
Wait, no way of determining supply? Lemme go check the OP again...
Old May 3, 2011, 12:23 PM   #19
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
i have to wait , since i have tegra 2 cellphone already

Tegra3 should have no issue goign against some of the OLD GEneration CPU we have like amd 4400 etc.. just guess
I got to play with your phone last night, it's very solid feeling, love the rubberized back, though in stock form it's Quadrant score is actually kind of pathetic. My Xoom, with higher res screen, scored higher in Quadrant than my friend's G2X last night, I told him he needs to root it immediately and load a custom kernel.
Old May 3, 2011, 12:32 PM   #20
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Wait, no way of determining supply? Lemme go check the OP again...
My mistake meant to say "demand" instead of "supply"

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old May 3, 2011, 12:51 PM   #21
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
My mistake meant to say "demand" instead of "supply"
Well, it obviously sold out, but the reason it sold out was supply, we can't attribute it to demand just yet, don't know actual demand. There have been comments on this very forum that say demand is very high, but we can't quantify that, we can now say that limited supply is why it sold out. That's the whole point of this thread, so I'm not really sure why we're arguing, it sounds like you agree with me
Old May 3, 2011, 01:16 PM   #22
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Well, it obviously sold out, but the reason it sold out was supply, we can't attribute it to demand just yet, don't know actual demand. There have been comments on this very forum that say demand is very high, but we can't quantify that, we can now say that limited supply is why it sold out. That's the whole point of this thread, so I'm not really sure why we're arguing, it sounds like you agree with me
/facepalm

What YOU specifically have said is:

Quote:
So it wasn't much demand ... Pretty weak.
and then go on to saying

Quote:
don't know actual demand
Which one is it?

For context, not all products with low supply sell out. All we can say about the transformer is that supply was purchased entirely. Nothing can be estimated about demand, based solely on the amount in supply (!!) and no price variation in the product. So no, I do not agree with you. The transformer did not sell out due to high demand or low supply, we don't have enough to gauge that. It just sold out.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old May 3, 2011, 02:39 PM   #23
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
/facepalm

What YOU specifically have said is:

and then go on to saying

Which one is it?

For context, not all products with low supply sell out. All we can say about the transformer is that supply was purchased entirely. Nothing can be estimated about demand, based solely on the amount in supply (!!) and no price variation in the product. So no, I do not agree with you. The transformer did not sell out due to high demand or low supply, we don't have enough to gauge that. It just sold out.
Jesus, do you just love arguing with everyone all the time?
Old May 3, 2011, 02:44 PM   #24
Zero
Sass hole

I'm making a point, which you seem to be missing.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old May 3, 2011, 04:54 PM   #25
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Question:

Wouldn't there have to be a decent install base of said tegra3 products before it is worthwhile to make software that pushes them?

Think about that.

wooohoo tegra 3!!! another product with no software, I guess I will root it and adjust my homescreeen!!!!
t0adp1p3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 06:41 PM   #26
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adp1p3 View Post
Question:

Wouldn't there have to be a decent install base of said tegra3 products before it is worthwhile to make software that pushes them?

Think about that.

wooohoo tegra 3!!! another product with no software, I guess I will root it and adjust my homescreeen!!!!
No. Java scales easily and is naturally multithreaded.
Old May 3, 2011, 07:12 PM   #27
Zero
Sass hole

On paper maybe. In any case, toadpipe's hit on another point that no development will optimize for multicore until that's bcome the de facto standard. Tegra2's been out for a long while now and we've yet to see any thing really make use of it. Hell, we've yet to see much make use of exisiting singlecore GPUs.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old May 3, 2011, 07:22 PM   #28
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
On paper maybe. In any case, toadpipe's hit on another point that no development will optimize for multicore until that's bcome the de facto standard. Tegra2's been out for a long while now and we've yet to see any thing really make use of it. Hell, we've yet to see much make use of exisiting singlecore GPUs.
If it's written in Java its already multithreaded. That's how the JVM works. None of this 'on paper' crap. Any beginners Java guide will tell you this. If it's written to the hardware then you may need to multithread it, probably explains all the TegraZone games.
Old May 3, 2011, 08:04 PM   #29
Zero
Sass hole

Just because JVM supports multithreading and the hardware is multithread aware doesn't mean what you write will always scale properly. Trust me on this, I manage projects that do Java mobile deployment.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old May 4, 2011, 03:44 AM   #30
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

The Transformer just showed up for preorder where I live, at a very reasonable price.
The keyboard dock is not yet available though (how much does it cost separately anyway ?), and it doesn't have 3G connectivity.

As far as I have read on the internets, it should have had this feature, though.
Does anyone know if there's going to be a separate model containing a sim-card slot, or does the local website here got its facts wrong ?
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote