Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Apr 19, 2011, 05:36 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Kraven
Stafoo!

Kraven is still being judged by the masses

Default Recommend me a new phone

So started new job, and decided to get a smart phone as all i've ever been using is a basic phone for calling and texting. Turns out nobody browses the net on their computers at work so if I was able to use my phone for this that would be sweet.

What I would like, long battery life, big screen, fun to use.

Been eyeing up the windows 7 phone with big screen but seems its not that popular? Anyway would appreciate some ideas.

Thanks

Edit: Also I'd rather not be a clone with an iPhone.

Yeah some quote goes here...

Kraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 05:51 PM   #2
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

iPhone running iOS/android dual boot fits most of the criteria you're looking for

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 06:09 PM   #3
biscuitownz
R.I.P 9600GT 2008-2009

biscuitownz is still being judged by the masses

Htc thunderbolt?, has a pretty big screen, and I don't know about battery life but no smart phone would have great battery life anyways..

biscuitownz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 19, 2011, 07:03 PM   #4
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

either the thunderbolt or the droid bionic.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 08:16 PM   #5
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

You're in the United Kingdom? What are your choices?
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:01 AM   #6
shoman24v
Radeon Southern Islands

shoman24v is still being judged by the masses

Seriously, you want a smartphone that has a long battery life and is fun to use?

How about no battery life and fun to use. Basically, all of them
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:10 AM   #7
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

For games go with Iphone.
For web browsing Dual core Android kicks everybody butts.

you can't go wrong with a Dual core Android device,

Make sure it has enough flash memory at least 8 gb.

web surfing on dual core android device is Sweets . well it really no difference between browsing on my 2x lg to my Quad core x9550 desktop computer. Besides much bigger screen and res, with a mouse.

Dual core android web browising is as smooth as it can get. NO lag what so ever.
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 02:11 AM   #8
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

you won't really get good battery life with a smartphone, especially not if you go with a big screen one. the battery life will vary between bad and worse, you just have to get used to it. i would suggest looking at dual core, 4"+ android phones from the various manufacturers... samsung, htc, motorola etc.
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 04:55 AM   #9
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

HTC sensation!

http://www.htc.com/europe/product/se...ification.html

1.2GHz dual core CPU
4.3"

Should be very pleasing to browse the web with, amongst other things.
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:41 AM   #10
Kraven
Stafoo!

So it seems the consensus is on android, thanks guys I shall investigate further.

Old Apr 20, 2011, 09:42 PM   #11
kingofslackerz
busy doing nothin

kingofslackerz is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraven View Post
So it seems the consensus is on android, thanks guys I shall investigate further.
On heavy use with any android device, don't expect any more than 20 hours. And that's after rooting and grabbing a good rom.

It's just not realistic to expect anymore than that.

I have an EVO, with light use I get 48 hours max, medium, 24-30, heavy 16-20. That's rooted with a light rom.

I can't imagine the dual core phones being any better on roughly the same mA battery.
kingofslackerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:05 PM   #12
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

I get about 12 hours on normal use its always diying...

On a good day

I hate my phone (epic 4g)
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:09 AM   #13
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

i have dual core 1ghz LG 2x smart phone.

I duno is it just me. When i use the phone for gaming and webbrowsing etc and plug in the USB cable from my pc to my phone.

The battery % never goes up. i think the power is not enough to charge the phone when it is being charged from a computer with a usb cable

anyone else having same issue with dual core device???

Old Apr 21, 2011, 07:45 AM   #14
kingofslackerz
busy doing nothin

kingofslackerz is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc326 View Post

I duno is it just me. When i use the phone for gaming and webbrowsing etc and plug in the USB cable from my pc to my phone.

The battery % never goes up. i think the power is not enough to charge the phone when it is being charged from a computer with a usb cable

Not Dual Core but yes. Angry Birds on USB will may get me 2-5% after an hour or so of use.
kingofslackerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2011, 09:25 AM   #15
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc326 View Post

It's not just your device, USB doesn't provide very much juice. If you have a wall charger, use that instead, it should provide more amperage.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:18 AM   #16
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
It's not just your device, USB doesn't provide very much juice. If you have a wall charger, use that instead, it should provide more amperage.
it is kinda insane. My battery even drop with usb charge when i am doing some 3D gaming on the device.

Old Apr 21, 2011, 07:44 PM   #17
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Xoom won't even charge over USB, it's got a proprietary plug.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 11:36 AM   #18
MysticKiller
Nuff Respect Due

MysticKiller is still being judged by the masses

Dont get the HTC Desire HD (very popular in the UK right now), it's battery life is unbelieveably bad. I went from that to an iPhone (jailbroken ofcourse )

People say you can GET good battery life from it, but thats only if all the features which make the phone so great are turned off - then you may as well be using a Nokia 3310.

I do miss the 4.3" screen though
Old Apr 29, 2011, 09:40 AM   #19
Kraven
Stafoo!

Damn it, I was pretty certain about getting the Desire HD and now I come back and check this thread and you say dont get it!

The thunderbolt and sensation aernt out in the UK yet, I might wait but I am itching for a new phone.

Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:29 AM   #20
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticKiller View Post
Dont get the HTC Desire HD (very popular in the UK right now), it's battery life is unbelieveably bad. I went from that to an iPhone (jailbroken ofcourse )

People say you can GET good battery life from it, but thats only if all the features which make the phone so great are turned off - then you may as well be using a Nokia 3310.

I do miss the 4.3" screen though
You can get great battery life without turning off features, that's why you root it and load a custom kernel. Custom kernel's can lower the voltage to the CPU which helps a lot with battery life. Kernel optimization is a big deal.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 12:45 PM   #21
Kraven
Stafoo!

Turning my attention to the samsung galaxy S2 now, looks pretty slick. Would 500mb of data allowance a month be enough?

Old Apr 29, 2011, 01:09 PM   #22
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraven View Post
Turning my attention to the samsung galaxy S2 now, looks pretty slick. Would 500mb of data allowance a month be enough?
Depends on how often you have access to WiFi. On my Xoom I only used 370mb of 3g last month because I was constantly on WiFi.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 01:56 PM   #23
Kraven
Stafoo!

I have wifi at home but not sure if I would have wifi at work, hmm. :|

Old Apr 29, 2011, 03:00 PM   #24
Kraven
Stafoo!

Well tough cookies, I've bitten the bullet after reading reviews and threads, this looks like a sexy beast and I shall see how it goes.

Old May 3, 2011, 08:41 AM   #25
MysticKiller
Nuff Respect Due

MysticKiller is still being judged by the masses

My Android hand set of choice right now is the Galaxy S II, almost tempted to sell the iPhone and go back to Android

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gala...-news-2593.php
Old May 4, 2011, 02:12 PM   #26
Kraven
Stafoo!

I've been playing with it for 2 days and its awesome, but it is my first smart phone so cant really compare. It feels like a handheld laptop imo, super smooth and responsive.

Old May 5, 2011, 12:58 AM   #27
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I use an HTC Arrive (WP7). I really like it.

My wife uses a Samsung Epic 4G (Android).

I prefer WP7 over Android. Android's alright, but more than I want or need for a phone.