Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Apr 18, 2011, 04:26 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Default Apple suing Samsung.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/18/a...hone-and-ipad/

Quote:
Woah! In the world of big-time lawsuits, this must be just about the biggest. The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Apple has sued Samsung Electronics for copying "the look and feel" of its iPad tablet and iPhone smartphone. This relates to the Samsung Galaxy S 4G, which bears more than a passing resemblance to the iPhone 3G / 3GS models, and the slightly less obvious Epic 4G, Nexus S, and Galaxy Tab (presumably the older 7-inch model, since the newer ones aren't out yet) devices. The claim for intellectual property infringement is phrased as follows:
"Rather than innovate and develop its own technology and a unique Samsung style for its smart phone products and computer tablets, Samsung chose to copy Apple's technology, user interface and innovative style in these infringing products."

The lawsuit was filed in the Northern District of California on Friday and seeks injunctions against Samsung, damages (both actual and punitive), and a finding that the infringement was willful.
How the hell is Apple going to sue the company that manufactures its mobile cpu's and has at least some kind of hand in designing them? Also, how exactly do Samsung phones copy Apple? If you hold an iPhone 3G/3Gs and a Galaxy S in hand, you can easily tell the difference between the two, it's absurdly obvious which phone is which. Copying the UI? Seriously? Wow. Apple might be getting a bit too ambitious with this suit.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 04:35 PM   #2
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/18/a...hone-and-ipad/

How the hell is Apple going to sue the company that manufactures its mobile cpu's and has at least some kind of hand in designing them? Also, how exactly do Samsung phones copy Apple? If you hold an iPhone 3G/3Gs and a Galaxy S in hand, you can easily tell the difference between the two, it's absurdly obvious which phone is which. Copying the UI? Seriously? Wow. Apple might be getting a bit too ambitious with this suit.
These suits and counter suits is nothing new. Just posturing. They sue each other but yet keep doing business with each other. Nothing to worry about.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 04:51 PM   #3
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:

How the hell is Apple going to sue the company that manufactures its mobile cpu's and has at least some kind of hand in designing them?
It's more profitable to have this relationship even as enemies.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 18, 2011, 04:53 PM   #4
FMT
Radeon Volcanic Islands

FMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Bit of a dick move by Apple I think.
FMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 05:01 PM   #5
nomis_nehc
Radeon Evergreen

nomis_nehc is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMT View Post
Bit of a dick move by Apple I think.
Apple has always been the biggest dick in the industry.
nomis_nehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 05:09 PM   #6
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomis_nehc View Post
Apple has always been the biggest dick in the industry.
Hence the jealousy from others watching.

Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 05:37 PM   #7
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I think the Fruit world needs to get in on this lawsuit action.

I mean the apples needs to sue Apple for defamation of image due to them portraying themselves a tech gods instead of healthy fruit.

I mean it makes about as much sense as this apple vs samsung lawsuit....
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 09:02 PM   #8
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

I haven't figured out what's at the CORE of Apple's complaint.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:27 PM   #9
BBA
GTX 570 SC+ATi GPU

BBA is still being judged by the masses

Probably some agreement where apple contracted Samsung to make some parts so Samsung couldn;t develope similar devices...Samsung is bigger than Apple and the suit will go no where. Just think of SCO suing everyone...where did that go?
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:04 PM   #10
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

You're probably right, Apple probably just saw this as a chance to go after some low hanging fruit.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:41 PM   #11
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
These suits and counter suits is nothing new. Just posturing. They sue each other but yet keep doing business with each other. Nothing to worry about.
It is not just that, If a company does not challenge a potential copyright infringement, they may loose the right to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:43 AM   #12
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
You're probably right, Apple probably just saw this as a chance to go after some low hanging fruit.
A lawsuit a day keeps the apple at bay?
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:34 AM   #13
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

lol....
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:55 AM   #14
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

this must be a joke. i use both iphone and galaxy s. Galaxy s is so much thinner and lighter.

and samsung has this design since 2007 feb, even earlier than the first gen iphone. and it looks just like a galaxy s i9000. And yet most phone are shaped like this, so apple are forcing other company to use square shape or tri angle shape for their device or something???

Last edited by wc326 : Apr 19, 2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 06:05 AM   #15
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Old Apr 19, 2011, 06:33 AM   #16
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
the samsung galaxy s i9000 is only copying their old Product from what i am seeing ahah

Old Apr 19, 2011, 07:08 AM   #17
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc326 View Post
this must be a joke. i use both iphone and galaxy s. Galaxy s is so much thinner and lighter.

and samsung has this design since 2007 feb, even earlier than the first gen iphone. and it looks just like a galaxy s i9000. And yet most phone are shaped like this, so apple are forcing other company to use square shape or tri angle shape for their device or something???
The release date is wrong, they only announced it in feb 2007.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 07:35 AM   #18
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
The release date is wrong, they only announced it in feb 2007.
Yeah I don't see anything about it in 2006, it wasn't shown anywhere until Feb 8th 2007...
Old Apr 20, 2011, 03:58 PM   #19
vitocorleone
Radeon Arctic Islands

vitocorleone is still being judged by the masses

Great in-depth explanation of Apple's suit.

I've been in the mobile industry for a long time now (1998), and have seen many, many, many, many different hardware, OS and app and web designs. Individually, though I've not read word for word even in the link above yet as I write this (no time yet), many/most of these patents seem to have prior art that is not Apple's in my experience - however, it could be that even then these other designs were infringing. Does Samsung have access to lots of prior art? That's a legit question, since much of what I've seen would be more from the likes of Microsoft, Nokia, Motorola, etc.

Or take the IM patent - I can maybe see Apple making one of the claims stick (showing one person on left and one on right, which I've always disliked personally, but that has nothing to do with it), but the rest of the claims in that patent seem a little suspect given what I know (I have my name on at least one mobile IM related patent)... it could very much come down to splitting hairs.

To me, Apple has its work cut out for it, which is why it threw the figurative book at Samsung in terms of patents in hopes at least one will stick.

I look forward to seeing Samsung's counter-suit.

Last edited by vitocorleone : Apr 20, 2011 at 04:07 PM.
vitocorleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:09 PM   #20
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

This part gave me a laugh:

Quote:
A brief aside

[image removed]

Before we wrap up, I just want to highlight something I noticed in the complaint that made me laugh: this image of a Samsung Galaxy S 4G, , and that was posted on AndroidCommunity. It doesn’t seem like Apple’s law firm asked for or received permission to use either image in the complaint. There’s something embarrassingly ironic about a high-priced law firm making a basic copyright error like this in a complaint that argues “slavish” and “pervasive” copying, but it has less to do with Apple’s case against Samsung and more to do with how disconnected from reality our copyright law has become. There’s more on my personal blog if for some reason you’re interested in the wonky details.
I can't help but find it amusing also that high powered law firm in a copyright/trade dress legal filing would use someone else's image/work without permission.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Apr 24, 2011, 03:20 AM   #21
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

might as well sue LG

Old Apr 26, 2011, 07:13 PM   #22
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
might as well sue LG

That's the first thing I had in mind too.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2011, 11:10 PM   #23
Sabadin
Radeon R520

Sabadin is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
might as well sue LG
I guess they paid attention to what happened when Sony tried that
Sabadin is offline   Reply With Quote