Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old May 11, 2011, 10:39 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Default HP Palm Veer first look at anand

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4324/t...eer-4g-for-att

Looks like they worked out a lot of the build quality issues and a faster chip helped smooth out the OS. Download and Upload speeds looked pretty good as well.

Hopefully WebOS 2.2 will do for WebOS what Just Cause 2 did for Just Cause.

Overall this is not the phone for me but I am still interested in getting a wifi touchpad to tether to my Nexus S.

Last edited by aviphysics : May 11, 2011 at 10:45 AM.
aviphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 03:22 PM   #2
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

WebOS 2 still isn't out yet?????????

wtf r they doing?
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 03:24 PM   #3
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

IMO their chance passed...
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 11, 2011, 03:28 PM   #4
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
IMO their chance passed...
This OS and related products are DOA. Bad move HP. Bad move. Even MS can't get any traction.
Old May 11, 2011, 04:19 PM   #5
DorXtar
SMILE!

DorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

AT&T? Really?
2 Peter 3:3) For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4) and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.” 5) For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice [...]

8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
Like 12Bass says, critical thinking and the scientific method are probably the best tools we have to avoid it. (bias)

However, this method relies on repeatable, falsifiable hypotheses and theories. Only an extremely small spectrum of time and space can be rendered into these, or at least a good approximation of such.

-RFtinkerer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
DorXtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 11:13 PM   #6
EMunEeE
Formerly MrEMan4K

EMunEeE is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
This OS and related products are DOA. Bad move HP. Bad move. Even MS can't get any traction.
I actually think Windows Phone 7 will pick up steam this holiday season when the Mango update is released. They are doing some cool things with WP7. HP on the other hand (and Palm) are freaking squandering their chances with an OS that has the most potential IMO. It's a shame its taking them this long to get products out the door that will be overshadowed by a summer of dual-core, 3D video shooting Android phones and a potential iPhone 5.

I wanted WebOS to succeed too.
Old May 12, 2011, 09:52 AM   #7
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMunEeE View Post
I actually think Windows Phone 7 will pick up steam this holiday season when the Mango update is released. They are doing some cool things with WP7. HP on the other hand (and Palm) are freaking squandering their chances with an OS that has the most potential IMO. It's a shame its taking them this long to get products out the door that will be overshadowed by a summer of dual-core, 3D video shooting Android phones and a potential iPhone 5.

I wanted WebOS to succeed too.
If they don't get it out by the time iPhone 4 and iOS 5 are out, they might was well hang it up.
Old May 12, 2011, 10:06 AM   #8
vitocorleone
Radeon Arctic Islands

vitocorleone is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
If they don't get it out by the time iPhone 4 and iOS 5 are out, they might was well hang it up.
You do realize that most people don't have a smartphone yet, right? We're not even half way into "the game" - it's not too late for anyone. And even if this was late in the game, consider that Aol used to dominate the Internet and Sony used to dominate consumer electronics. Change happens. Those at the top fall.

If Apple doesn't innovate again with iOS5 I think they're at risk - iOS is stale and dated and still missing a great tablet ux (is a good one good enough? For now...).

Last edited by vitocorleone : May 12, 2011 at 10:09 AM.
vitocorleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 11:05 AM   #9
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone View Post
You do realize that most people don't have a smartphone yet, right? We're not even half way into "the game" - it's not too late for anyone. And even if this was late in the game, consider that Aol used to dominate the Internet and Sony used to dominate consumer electronics. Change happens. Those at the top fall.

If Apple doesn't innovate again with iOS5 I think they're at risk - iOS is stale and dated and still missing a great tablet ux (is a good one good enough? For now...).
OT, do you still have a Xoom? The 3.1 update is pretty beast.
Old May 12, 2011, 01:03 PM   #10
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone View Post

And when those people enter the market, the won't be looking at WebOS. They'll be looking at iOS and Android devices.
Old May 12, 2011, 02:08 PM   #11
jtpeace
hear in the quiet

jtpeace is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
And when those people enter the market, the won't be looking at WebOS. They'll be looking at iOS and Android devices.
Actually, some people have waited to get into the smartphone market because the only choices right now are (seem to be) iOS and android. It's true that HP (and Microsoft for that matter) have a ton of catching up to do. In fact, it very well may be too late for them, but then again, maybe not. Time will tell.

Don't get me wrong, the iPhone, and some of the android devices are fantastic, but some folks prefer different "flavours". More power to them.
Old May 12, 2011, 03:07 PM   #12
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

I don't have stats on what other people want but this is the way I see it.

I am never going to own an Apple device because I don't want to be trapped into their services. I also find the iOS UI very primitive. It works because it is simple but that is also one of it's biggest weaknesses. I own an Android Nexus S and mostly like it but the OS and UI still lacks a lot of polish. I personally am still looking for a truly great OS and not one that is just good enough to get me through the day. On these grounds I believe HP or MS (personally I prefer HP) to have an impact. To me HP has shown that they can do the build quality with their line of envy laptops and this first look backs up that they can do it with phones as well. The app markets on Android and iOS have a head start but they are also inundated with c#$% so that is not that big a deal to me.

At this point reaching the masses is gonna have to be all about advertising and getting reps out to the stores to help push their products as well as pushing developers to make good apps. The hardware in the touchpad is definitely up to date and it is do to be released pretty soon so if they don't have any delays it looks like it has promise to me. I don't know as much about the Veer but I am not going to damn it at this point.

Even if WebOS never takes over they could still become the macintosh of the cellphone and tablet space with solid hardware, a great OS and some good apps.

Last edited by aviphysics : May 12, 2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old May 12, 2011, 09:28 PM   #13
Jandar
Old Skool Hero

Jandar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJandar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

WebOS 2.1 is out, and the community has even ported it for older Palm Pre phones that don't have carrier support.

Using WebOS 2.1 on my phone, and Android 2.2 on my wife's Evo Shift, give me WebOS any day. I am so used to true multitasking, WebOS has this down.

Reminds me a lot of BeOS, which ironically, Palm purchased years ago.

The big thing now is the Pre 3, which matches up well with most droid devices, and iPhone, and WebOS 3.0 which is on the HP Tablet. Touch to Share should be a nice selling point if you own both devices.

Believe, Im not harping on Palm/HP right now. I still have my Sprint Pre- since July 2009. It has been modded to FrankenPre using a Pre Plus donor. So yes, I do like WebOS, but HP/Palm has dicked us original owners over. The OS has some serious potential, just needed the backing of a bigger company, now lets see what HP can do with it.
Jandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 09:30 PM   #14
Jandar
Old Skool Hero

Jandar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJandar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpeace View Post
Actually, some people have waited to get into the smartphone market because the only choices right now are (seem to be) iOS and android. It's true that HP (and Microsoft for that matter) have a ton of catching up to do. In fact, it very well may be too late for them, but then again, maybe not. Time will tell.

Don't get me wrong, the iPhone, and some of the android devices are fantastic, but some folks prefer different "flavours". More power to them.
All of HP's computers will come with WebOS loaded on them as an app within Windows. This will get millions of people used to the OS, which makes sales of other HP products running it easier.
Old May 12, 2011, 09:36 PM   #15
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandar View Post
WebOS 2.1 is out, and the community has even ported it for older Palm Pre phones that don't have carrier support.

Using WebOS 2.1 on my phone, and Android 2.2 on my wife's Evo Shift, give me WebOS any day. I am so used to true multitasking, WebOS has this down.

Reminds me a lot of BeOS, which ironically, Palm purchased years ago.

The big thing now is the Pre 3, which matches up well with most droid devices, and iPhone, and WebOS 3.0 which is on the HP Tablet. Touch to Share should be a nice selling point if you own both devices.

Believe, Im not harping on Palm/HP right now. I still have my Sprint Pre- since July 2009. It has been modded to FrankenPre using a Pre Plus donor. So yes, I do like WebOS, but HP/Palm has dicked us original owners over. The OS has some serious potential, just needed the backing of a bigger company, now lets see what HP can do with it.
Go try Android 3.1's multitasking, cards are just gimmicky
Old May 13, 2011, 11:20 AM   #16
Jandar
Old Skool Hero

Cards work for me, and apparently for RIM now as well.
Old May 13, 2011, 11:47 AM   #17
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Cards work for me, and apparently for RIM now as well.
From my 6 months with the OG Pre, they never felt like more than a gimmick. They don't provide extra functionality, they just look pretty.
Old May 13, 2011, 01:50 PM   #18
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
From my 6 months with the OG Pre, they never felt like more than a gimmick. They don't provide extra functionality, they just look pretty.
I don't have first hand experience but from what I read the cards have been updated to offer more utility.

Also Engadget has a Veer review...
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/13/hp-veer-4g-review/
Old May 13, 2011, 02:19 PM   #19
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
I don't have first hand experience but from what I read the cards have been updated to offer more utility.

Also Engadget has a Veer review...
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/13/hp-veer-4g-review/
The only thing I know of is stacking them, I could care less about that. Anything else added?
Old May 13, 2011, 03:00 PM   #20
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
The only thing I know of is stacking them, I couldn't care less about that. Anything else added?
*fixed*... Sorry, it was bugging the hell out of me.

Remind me how you quickly switch between open apps in Android? Last I checked, you could use the back button if one app sent you into another. If not, you have to go back to the home screen and find the icon. Not exactly the smoothest system.

Last edited by aviphysics : May 13, 2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old May 13, 2011, 03:45 PM   #21
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
*fixed*... Sorry, it was bugging the hell out of me.

Remind me how you quickly switch between open apps in Android? Last I checked, you could use the back button if one app sent you into another. If not, you have to go back to the home screen and find the icon. Not exactly the smoothest system.
Like I said, go try 3.1. Honeycomb has app switching right in the bottom bar at all times, 3rd button from the left, always there.
Old May 13, 2011, 10:24 PM   #22
Jandar
Old Skool Hero

I can swipe left and right to go between apps without any button pressing.

when I switch from pandora to reading email, my music is playing and I can control it just below my email, while typing an email.

Seriously, WebOS took BeOS multitasking to the phone market.

Android has gotten better since they hired Matias Duarte, who ironically helped develop the card system and UI on WebOS.

Last edited by Jandar : May 13, 2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old May 13, 2011, 10:33 PM   #23
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
I can swipe left and right to go between apps without any button pressing.

when I switch from pandora to reading email, my music is playing and I can control it just below my email, while typing an email.

Seriously, WebOS took BeOS multitasking to the phone market.

Android has gotten better since they hired Matias Duarte, who ironically helped develop the card system and UI on WebOS.
I can control music from right next to the clock, as well as notifications, screen brightness, wifi, screen orientation, etc. The difference between a single swipe and 2 touches is negligible and basically tedious to argue.
Old May 14, 2011, 08:27 AM   #24
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Like I said, go try 3.1. Honeycomb has app switching right in the bottom bar at all times, 3rd button from the left, always there.
Did they finally make the app switch list scrollable in 3.1?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2011, 08:41 AM   #25
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Did they finally make the app switch list scrollable in 3.1?
Here is a pretty good youtube video of a guy demoing it.

The recent application list is scrollable but limited to 17 most recent apps.

I guess overall it looks ok but I still want to see the touchpad. Given the June launch date we won't even have to wait that long to find out.

Last edited by aviphysics : May 14, 2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old May 14, 2011, 10:10 AM   #26
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Here is a pretty good youtube video of a guy demoing it.

The recent application list is scrollable but limited to 17 most recent apps.

I guess overall it looks ok but I still want to see the touchpad. Given the June launch date we won't even have to wait that long to find out.
18 actually.
Old May 15, 2011, 03:20 PM   #27
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Here is a review by mobile tech review. Ok look at the device but they don't talk about any of the actual OS very much. Also the whole time I am watching their video I keep thinking the screen is to small. The biggest problem with this device IMO is that it messes up there ecosystem as a lot of webOS apps aren't compatible with the small screen.

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbt...p?Number=40647
Old May 15, 2011, 04:56 PM   #28
Jandar
Old Skool Hero

Quote:
Here is a review by mobile tech review. Ok look at the device but they don't talk about any of the actual OS very much. Also the whole time I am watching their video I keep thinking the screen is to small. The biggest problem with this device IMO is that it messes up there ecosystem as a lot of webOS apps aren't compatible with the small screen.

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbt...p?Number=40647
Anything that works for the Pixi is compatible with the Veer, according to HP.

There are apps for the Pre that dont work for the Pixi (and hence the Veer).
Old May 16, 2011, 09:45 AM   #29
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
There are apps for the Pre that dont work for the Pixi (and hence the Veer).
This is what I was referring to. IMO they should have adjusted the screen format to eliminate this issue. Why fragment your own product line when you hold such a small percentage already.