Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old May 8, 2011, 12:13 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
cbsboyer
ATI EGA Wonder

cbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete stranger

Angry This is my last Blackberry

I upgraded my 9700, which was last year's flagship model, to BB OS 6, and now when I check out half of the sites I used to on my phone, I get "Sorry! We’re closing this page because it is too large to load". Looking on the Blackberry support forums, the answer is...buy a new phone!

The phone is a year old, and it's not like it was a low end unit.

I think they just might be trying to exit the smartphone market if they are pulling stuff like this

"Relationships are like dormant volcanoes, most of the time things are fine or manageable but there's always a chance she blows molten crazy all over you." - ice
cbsboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 02:59 PM   #2
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

owned

Learn to embed videos in your posts, highlight text, and even post code!
sittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 03:06 PM   #3
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

I believe the correct term is rimmed.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 8, 2011, 08:23 PM   #4
lunat!c#

lunat!c# is still being judged by the masses

Try a different browser? I was having it as well, but Opera seemed to solve it.
lunat!c# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 09:53 PM   #5
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Blackberry OS 7 welcome you
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 11:07 PM   #6
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunat!c# View Post
Try a different browser? I was having it as well, but Opera seemed to solve it.

This. BOLT browser is good too.
Old May 9, 2011, 08:18 AM   #7
cbsboyer
ATI EGA Wonder

cbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete stranger

Opera seems to work well for me now. I just find it extremely distasteful when a company pulls a stunt like this. Just around a year into my contract, so if I wanted to upgrade the phone I'd be paying the full shot for a new BB phone which is around $800 or so, just because their OS upgrade crippled their browser.

We'll see what other smartphones are out there when it comes time to upgrade. I'd love to continue to support my cousin who works in R&D for RIM, but not if this is what they are doing...

"Relationships are like dormant volcanoes, most of the time things are fine or manageable but there's always a chance she blows molten crazy all over you." - ice

Last edited by cbsboyer : May 9, 2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old May 9, 2011, 09:20 AM   #8
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

What website are you trying to view? I have yet to see this tho someone in my company who's still using OS.5xx gets this issue from time to time. But yeah, Mini Opera seems to be more stable. IMO other than eating my space OS6 as been a solid update for me thus far.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 10:01 AM   #9
shoman24v
Radeon Southern Islands

shoman24v is still being judged by the masses

I think it's a security feature of BB
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 10:08 AM   #10
cbsboyer
ATI EGA Wonder

For more day-to day stuff, if I'm looking up info (storage temperature for guava, where the heck is Moonbeam, ON, or whatever) and come upon a media-rich page, I'm done - restart from scratch and try to remember which link did me in. Entertainment-wise, I follow any random link from Kotaku or here or pretty much wherever and it will generally freak out on me if there are more than a handful of pictures on the site, especially since it opens in a new tab and takes even more memory.

The part that really put me off is that there is no "Here's a workaround", or "Here's how you can free up memory", just "Yup, we know about the problem. Just buy our newest phone so we don't have to fix it."

Old May 9, 2011, 12:09 PM   #11
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Hmmm... wifi or 3g/edge?
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 07:09 PM   #12
lunat!c#

lunat!c# is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsboyer View Post
I just find it extremely distasteful when a company pulls a stunt like this.
I know what you mean. I bought one from a business point of view and liked it from the start. Picked a contract w/ all options and after 3 months my cell seemed to be typing 6/10 letters double. I have send it back three times already, but so far the issue has not been resolved.

The guys I am dealing with do not know what is wrong and thus cannot do anything. I even tried an (very expansive) international call to RIM but no magic either.

So now I am stuck with it, for another 19 months before my (expansive monthly) contract is over.
lunat!c# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 09:31 PM   #13
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

The company didn't really do it to you. RIM is very behind everywhere. It's hardware only has 256mb of ram for crying out loud. When its software team ramped things up and made things flashy, they needed more ram.

The next BlackBerry Bold Touch has like 768mb ram which is not bad.
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 10:12 PM   #14
Gator
Unreal Android

Gator is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

BlackBerry is a sinking ship as Android and iPhone continue to snag their customers. BB email client may still reign supreme, but give it time and you'll see all of those glorious custom filtering and notification options in 3rd party client. Central administration is already available to some degree, so what does RIM really have but a name anymore?

It's also my experience web browsing on BB is just dreadful. It was my primary reason for finally leaving them.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 10:48 PM   #15
cbsboyer
ATI EGA Wonder

Really, the only reason that I went with the BB was that I could be connected with the retail store where I worked at all times for updates (critical since there were only 4 full time employees including the manager). I really like the BB messenger, and I like the email client. The browser has always felt like something tacked on because they had to provide something.

The problem I have is that I need the browser more than I need BBM or the email client now as my employment situation has changed. With the upgrade to OS6, the bundled browser was crippled and their solution...well they don't have a reasonable solution (me spending $800 on a new phone is NOT reasonable).

Old May 12, 2011, 05:38 PM   #16
MysticKiller
Nuff Respect Due

MysticKiller is still being judged by the masses

BB's are for messaging freaks, which I used to be. But the errors, random hangs and general lack of support (mainly down to my network providor than RIM) just forced me to switch to the iPhone as my main device.

BBM + BeeJive = messaging bliss