Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old May 4, 2011, 07:30 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Apocalypsee
Radeon Sea Islands

Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Default First android phone, which one to choose?

I'm torn between either brand new Acer Liquid Metal, 2nd hand Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 or 2nd hand HTC Desire. My budget and choices are limited, so which one is the best phones to buy? I don't have much requirement to fill, just hoping to play some games on it and watching video, so big screens and good audio quality is a must.

Acer Liquid metal have good specs and cheaper than similar spec phones but it lacks support so there isn't much ROM to choose from, or any rooting instructions so I a bit worried buying it actually, but physically it looks sleek
If 3 fans left the station at 10:30am cooling at a temp of 63c and one fan was derailed by a stray sata cable on the track, how long would it take all 3 fans to get on Seyiji's last nerve?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(c) Hey there muscly arms, why the long face?
(d) Must use fire.
Apocalypsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 07:54 PM   #2
Gator
Unreal Android

Gator is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

I think everyone is going to vote for their own phone, but you say you have a limited budget and you're profile says your in Malaysia, so it's possible many of our choices are not available. I recommend you list for us all of your available choices in terms of region and price, that way we can give feedback on them
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 09:14 PM   #3
shrike126
Roxen. You are missed.

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
I think everyone is going to vote for their own phone, but you say you have a limited budget and you're profile says your in Malaysia, so it's possible many of our choices are not available. I recommend you list for us all of your available choices in terms of region and price, that way we can give feedback on them
Seconded.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 4, 2011, 09:39 PM   #4
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

thirded. I'm pretty sure some of the phones here in the US have different names overseas too. IIRC the Droid 2 there is the Milestone or somesuch.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 10:03 PM   #5
Apocalypsee
Radeon Sea Islands

Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Yea I noticed the name and model differences. Alright, for under RM1k there is:

1) Samsung Galaxy Ace brand new ~RM900
2) HTC Aria 2nd hand ~RM1000
3) HTC Wildfire second hand ~RM800
4) LG Optimus one P500 second hand ~RM700-800
5) CSL Mi300 brand new ~RM499 (cheapest)
6) Acer Liquid Metal demo set ~RM950 or RM1099 brand new
7) Acer Liquid E S100 second hand ~RM680-800
8) Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 second hand~RM800 to RM1000+ brand new
9) HTC Desire second hand ~RM850-1000+
10) HTC Legend second hand ~RM600+

Its a rough estimation of price, so that's the list I could make up for now. I will add up if I find another phones that I could take for my budget
If 3 fans left the station at 10:30am cooling at a temp of 63c and one fan was derailed by a stray sata cable on the track, how long would it take all 3 fans to get on Seyiji's last nerve?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(d) Must use fire.
Old May 5, 2011, 12:15 AM   #6
shoman24v
Radeon Southern Islands

shoman24v is still being judged by the masses

If you can get the Galaxy S II I'd get that.
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2011, 01:18 AM   #7
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman24v View Post
If you can get the Galaxy S II I'd get that.
that would be way out budget i think.

i think i can make a couple of recommendations. firstly, stay away from the wildfire. the optimus one is supposed to be a pretty good. also check out the dell xcd35 (also known as the zte blade or orange san francisco).

i'm surprised the price of a second hand optimus one can be so close to that of a second hand desire. even though the desire is an older phone, a brand new desire still costs twice as much as a brand new optimus one, at least in my country.

in general, i think the desire is the best phone amongst the ones you listed. sure, it's a year old but it was/is a super popular phone in 2010 and with good reason. it also has great community support which means you will get lots of roms/updates even if htc drops support for the phone.
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2011, 02:19 AM   #8
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

out of that list.

ACER liquid metal is the fastest. And it is brand new.

then
HTC DESIRE.

THen sony x10.
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2011, 09:13 AM   #9
Apocalypsee
Radeon Sea Islands

Thanks for replies guys, like spindoctor said Galaxy S II is like over twice my budget and even pricier than my current laptop, so no. I don't look for absolute performance; something that could play some games (Angry Birds is a must) and some video watching and music playback is the most I look for.

The second hand prices is the lowest I could find, but the quality is doubtful (especially HTC Desire because the good ones are above RM1k) so its just as a reference.

Currently I'm leaning toward Samsung Galaxy Ace. Good 3.5" screen with HVGA screen (a bit disappointed but at least encoded video size isn't that big) and good enough CPU and GPU (800MHz Qualcomm MSM7227 with Adreno 200). But Acer Liquid Metal is better; with much higher resolution, faster CPU and GPU, more RAM and better build quality by the look of it. But it lacks support (custom ROM and sort) so its quite a headache between this two.

From what I gather, Xperia X10 is not multitouch, at most its dual touch but even that have problems from what I see at S.E blogs so maybe I should rule this one out, even if the 4" screen is something to think about

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(d) Must use fire.
Old May 5, 2011, 04:07 PM   #10
dawdler
Radeon Caribbean Islands

dawdler is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypsee View Post
From what I gather, Xperia X10 is not multitouch, at most its dual touch but even that have problems from what I see at S.E blogs so maybe I should rule this one out, even if the 4" screen is something to think about
All SE has done in the last couple of years is horrible, horrible phones that are but shadows of bigger players. X10 had as you state flawed hardware and crap like the popular X10 mini is just horrible.

If you want community support, then the God of fandroids is HTC (like Desire). They arent bad, I just dont like the HTC philosophy of releasing 12+ phones a year with different variants of last years hardware.
dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2011, 09:04 PM   #11
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

i don't think you would like to get a sub HD display cellphone, when you can get HD display phone for the same price.

because usually here, HD phone will sell at least 1000 HK dollars more than sub hd phone. and they are just alot alot better
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png

Last edited by wc326 : May 5, 2011 at 09:21 PM.
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 06:18 AM   #12
Apocalypsee
Radeon Sea Islands

Just bought the phone, actually its none of the above! I have predicted this from the start, what I bought is CSL Mi410, similar to this, which is rebadged depends on country. Price is RM980 for brand new, which is very cheap for the spec (1GHz Scorpion, Adreno 205 GPU, 2GB ROM, 512MB RAM 4.1" capacitive 16M color screen with 8GB MicroSD)

Just rooted it, well to be honest I don't even know much about Android. Any good software recommendation? Like good app launcher or something?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(d) Must use fire.
Old May 8, 2011, 06:38 AM   #13
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

To qoute from the "Exynos GPU tests" thread.
The linked review is for The Samsung Galaxy S II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawdler View Post
Nordic hardware has quite extensive testing between the Tegra 2 and Exynos here:

Ram and storage
Browsing
CPU
3D and gaming
Multitasking

Note that the article is in Swedish, but the actual performance charts are in English.
The Samsung Galaxy S II is getting a great review there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Translated conclusion from the review
Pros:
+ The most powerful smartphone on the market today
+ 1GB RAM and plenty of storage(16GB + microSDHC)
+ Incredably thin and light
+ Super AMOLED Plus screen with impressive contrast and viewing angles
+ Class leading quality on both photos and 1080p video
+ 1080p MKV and H264 High profile support.
+ Impressively smooth and functional interface
+ Support for Turbo 3G (21 Mbps) and dual-band WiFi
+ Bluetooth 3.0+HS
+ Unlocked bootloader
+ Good soundquality in calls
+ Good music volume on the speaker

Cons:
- Expensive
- MHL-Cable for TV connection sold separately (USB/HDMI cross type cable, bought up cause at the time of the review, no such cable is sold in Sweden)
- Poor DLNA-application.
- "Only" 480x800 pixel resolution
(the screen is a bit different and has subpixels, so it looks more highres, it has 1 152 000 milion subpixels (800 x 480 x 3). )
- Plasic shell can feel a bit cheap
/EDIT
I fail at read....