Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Apr 10, 2011, 12:17 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Gator
Unreal Android

Gator is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber
Default Moto users - a real email fix for Exchange

Since getting a Motorola Android phone I quickly discovered how messed up Exchange push mail is, sometimes it will get the message right away, most of the time it takes a few minutes or even hours. It's an issue commonly discussed on web forums and Moto has yet to release a fix.

The only solution I found until today was to buy Touchdown, but then I discovered the stock Android email app does not have this issue. So I did some digging, found the installer, and now I have real working Exchange push email.
So not to get Rage3D into any potential trouble with a direct link, I eventually found the apk by using a very popular search engine (hint) with the keywords "stock vanilla email android"

I'm still testing things out, but overall it looks good. If you still have trouble finding that which shall not be linked, lemmy know by PM.

Last edited by Gator : Apr 10, 2011 at 12:24 PM.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2011, 12:55 PM   #2
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

you, sir, are a god among men

Learn to embed videos in your posts, highlight text, and even post code!
sittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2011, 02:09 PM   #3
Gator
Unreal Android

Subscriber

LOL... Thanks sittal

I'm very pleased with the results so far, but here a few tips I found:

-I noticed my email sig kept disappearing when I tried to use Moto Email and the stock Email. I resolved this by completely removing all Moto Email accounts. Just don't even bother using this thing.

-If you use Yahoo email, the stock Email app will try and configure it as POP3 which sucks. To resolve this use IMAP instead by pressing the MANUAL SETUP button, and following the directions in this link. I guess the Moto Email does this for you, but the stock Email doesn't know better:
http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mai...l/imap-01.html

-The Moto Calendar app still works! Just be warned, at first it didn't see my Exchange meetings categorized as "Free", but after I configured a yahoo account the "Free" ones were visible. Very weird considering it should have nothing to do with Yahoo, but whatever.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 10, 2011, 07:27 PM   #4
Gator
Unreal Android

Subscriber

Another observation and it could be a deal breaker, it seems this email app is using a lot more battery now. My phone has been sitting for 3 hours and used 30% of the battery, and I have an extended battery too! Crap.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:52 AM   #5
Gator
Unreal Android

Subscriber

Ok, I reboot the phone and changed yahoo polling from 15 to 30 minutes, battery usage seems better now. So far stock email app is a tremendous improvement over Moto Email, the push has performed perfect the past 24 hours.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 06:17 AM   #6
Gator
Unreal Android

Subscriber

For those interested in an officially supported app and not using a download from an unknown source, Enhanced Email is based off of the stock Android Email app but with various improvements. It has a 7 day trial and I'm pleased with the results. Buying it from the Market Place is a hefty $10, but that's still half the price of Touchdown, and I'd pay far more for reliable company exchange email that actually pushes like it's suppose to.

http://www.androidcentral.com/androi...enhanced-email

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

Last edited by Gator : Apr 13, 2011 at 06:30 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 06:32 AM   #7
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Did you tap on the battery under settings to see your usage breakdown? Normally it's a good way to pinpoint power issues. You can also tell how much data was sent and received in some of the items.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 06:55 PM   #8
Gator
Unreal Android

Subscriber

Turns out Enhanced Email is not at fault for the battery loss, unless that counts as part of "Android OS":

12hr 24min

% description
-- ------------
29 display
18 android os
12 android system
10 phone idle
8 cell standby
6 wifi
4 enhanced email
3 com.motorola.home
2 Facebook
2 voice calls
Old Apr 24, 2011, 07:29 PM   #9
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Have you done any more to track horrible battery life situations? I went through my battery damn quick today. The built in app blamed it on the display.

This app: https://market.android.com/details?i...=order_history

Didn't add much. But I was in an area with crap reception and I suspect all my crazy apps kept asking for data and the android OS could not get it. My phone spent a long time without a signal today.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2011, 08:07 PM   #10
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

talked with the guy who had the moto email issue and he is happy. doesn't use any imap mail servers so he is fine.

didn't notice any battery usage change either because he charges it in the car and home... constantly.

Learn to embed videos in your posts, highlight text, and even post code!
sittal is offline   Reply With Quote