Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM   #1321
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
shadow001
Captain thread derail....

shadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
I'll take that definitely. It would also be nice if it only cost £500. We'll see. What I now find confusing is it might come with a 4gb variant and I'm not quite sure what's the point. I can understand 16gb for professional cards and 8gb for consumers but when your main competitor is equipping their high-end cards with a minimum of 8gb having a card with just 4gb is just .

I'd be looking for 16GB cards, for the simple reason that the setup will stay still for the next 3 to 4 years until hardware doubles in real world speed, so what's overkill today may not be so overkill tomorrow......Those that upgrade every 6 or 12 months need not worry, 8 GB will do fine.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM   #1322
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Northern Islands

NWR_Midnight can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyNWR_Midnight can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyNWR_Midnight can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Old Today, 01:20 AM   #1323
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
AMD just hosted its Tech Summit in China, with CEO Lisa Su taking to the stage to not only announce worldwide availability of its Ryzen 5 CPUs imminently, but also teasing a full Radeon RX Vega reveal coming very soon indeed. From the sounds of things AMD is ramping up to reveal Radeon RX Vega within a matter of weeks.
Quote:
The smart money has always been on a late May / early June launch to coincide with Computex, however AMD has thrown a bit of a spanner in the works by advertising RX Vega alongside Arkane’s Prey. The ad says “Vega is coming. Be prepared”. What’s interesting is that Prey is out on May 5th, just over five weeks away. Vega coming out after Prey strikes me as the opposite of being prepared. What are the chances we could see Vega launch in a little over a month’s time?
http://www.game-debate.com/news/2257...d-8gb-versions
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Today, 01:22 AM   #1324
jesdals
R300

jesdals is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
I'd be looking for 16GB cards, for the simple reason that the setup will stay still for the next 3 to 4 years until hardware doubles in real world speed, so what's overkill today may not be so overkill tomorrow......Those that upgrade every 6 or 12 months need not worry, 8 GB will do fine.
Im hopeing for a 16GB as well since my gaming is in 6000x1200 resolution on my Eyefinity setup. Hence my monitors all are limited to HDMI/DVI/VGA - it would be fine with a DVI + 2 HDMI solution, might consider going green with the Asus Strix 1080ti if Theres no sweet AIB VEGA flavors

Club 3D HD7870XT, P5Q Deluxe, [email protected], 8GB PC8500, 250GB 7200.10, 320GB 7200.11, 500GB+750GB 7200.12 Antec 1000W and Antec 300 tower.

All win 10 64 bit
jesdals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:41 AM   #1325
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I don't think we will see 16gb on vega .
too high of cost and only room for two stacks on vega for hbm2
and if they go to 8-layers would that not make the ram taller than the chip and need a stepped cooler

and AMD has been talking about needing less vram

http://wccftech.com/amds-vega-double...aphics-memory/
Old Today, 06:16 AM   #1326
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky doesn't need no stinkin' badgesHapatingjaky doesn't need no stinkin' badgesHapatingjaky doesn't need no stinkin' badgesHapatingjaky doesn't need no stinkin' badgesHapatingjaky doesn't need no stinkin' badgesHapatingjaky doesn't need no stinkin' badgesHapatingjaky doesn't need no stinkin' badgesHapatingjaky doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
I don't think we will see 16gb on vega .
too high of cost and only room for two stacks on vega for hbm2
and if they go to 8-layers would that not make the ram taller than the chip and need a stepped cooler

and AMD has been talking about needing less vram

http://wccftech.com/amds-vega-double...aphics-memory/
From the article

Quote:
AMD’s New Vega High Bandwidth Cache Controller Will Double Your Usable Graphics Memory Capacity In Games
False, they tooted this with the Fury and we all know how that ended up. 8GB no matter how you cut it is 8GB.

I thought the announcement for Vega was going to be this week sometime with Availability of the Polaris refresh next month and Vega in June?
Intel Core i7 6900K @ 4.5GHz, Asus Rampage V Extreme, Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB Cas 10 DDR4 2400MHz, Nvidia TitanX Pascal SLI, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 960 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, Corsair 900D, Corsair K70 RGB, Logitech G900, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:19 AM   #1327
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
From the article

False, they tooted this with the Fury and we all know how that ended up. 8GB no matter how you cut it is 8GB.

I thought the announcement for Vega was going to be this week sometime with Availability of the Polaris refresh next month and Vega in June?
1. my fury x's do better with 4gb than my 980's do at 4k .

2. they may have improve it further

3. why always the negative nancy from you about AMD ?
Old Today, 10:33 AM   #1328
pax
Radeon Arctic Islands

pax once held a door open for a complete strangerpax once held a door open for a complete strangerpax once held a door open for a complete strangerpax once held a door open for a complete stranger

Vega has dedicated HW for memory management. Its not gonna be a 'has to be supported by said game' type deal. Why else would they brag about a 4gb model?
Old Ass RIG from 1 Dec 2009! (Upgrade 2 Jan 10th 2011!>> Upgrade 3 Jan 2013>>Upgrade4 May 2015): Asus M4A89GTD Pro\USB3 Bios 2001, Phenom2 965 3.4 ghz 125w tdp, 4 x 2 OCZ 7-7-7-20 Patriot Viper ddr3 1600, (New Vid Dec 2014!) Asus DCU2OC Radeon 290 Cats beta 15.4, X-Fi fatality PCI, 1 x 750 GB seagate momentus hybrid drive. 1 x 1TB seagate 7200.11 HD, 1 x 3TB Seagate 7200.12 HD, 1 x 2TB seagate LP, Corsair TX 750w, Asus VS278Q 27" mon (new mon after 8 years of the dell 2405fpw! Very nice upgrade). Win 10 Pro

New Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX GTR BE RX 480, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. 28" BenQ 1080p mon. Win 10 home.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:42 AM   #1329
GTwannabe
Rage3D Veteran

GTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
From the article

Nope. Vega has a completely new memory system:

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...y-Architecture
Old Today, 10:52 AM   #1330
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
Nope. Vega has a completely new memory system:

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...y-Architecture
I'll see your nope and raise you a nope nope.

8GB = 8GB. There's no argument you can make against this. The efficiency argument does not change the fact that there is a hard cap of 8GB.