Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:19 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Capt. Picard
Radeon Evergreen

Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default Deploying multi-partition harddrive over network to other computers.

Is this possible?

Maybe this should be in the software section ... but there are more people here.

I have one PC with Windows and Ubuntu on seperate partitions. I want to copy the entire disk to multiple computers over a network. Is this possible? What software do I need?

Thanks in advance.
Capt. Picard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:10 PM   #2
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

What do you mean by "copy the disk"? Make the files accessible to multiple clients but still host them only on one machine, aka file server? Or do you literally mean copy contents of disk to multiple computers so that there are multiple backups?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 01:22 PM   #3
Capt. Picard
Radeon Evergreen

Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
What do you mean by "copy the disk"? Make the files accessible to multiple clients but still host them only on one machine, aka file server? Or do you literally mean copy contents of disk to multiple computers so that there are multiple backups?
Okay I see I didn't describe my situation well enough.

Longer version:

I'm a teacher with a class that has 45 computers. I have two operating systems on each PC (Windows 10 and Linux (Ubuntu Mate)).

Since 10 years ago (with windows XP and Ubuntu) I've always used Norton ghost on a bootable USB stick to clone a harddrive from one PC to the other. I physically take out one HDD and plug it into another motherboard, boot from the USB drive, and copy the contents over to another HDD. Even multiple partitions isn't a problem because I just run Ghost.exe with a -ir switch (I don't know what it means but it has worked for the past 6 years.)

Anyway I'm tired of opening up the PC cases everytime to connect a HDD to clone it from one to the other.

I know the image deployment from a server is pretty basic but I don't know how and I'm also not sure if "cloning" two paritions with two operating systems is possible over a network.

As I said, I'm teacher and not a professional network technician. I appeal to your expertise. Please.

Last edited by Capt. Picard : Jan 11, 2017 at 03:30 PM.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 11, 2017, 01:36 PM   #4
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

You want network imaging. It's doable via technologies that utilize PXE, like Windows Deployment Services but that's for an environment with a server and requires significant setup.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 02:30 PM   #5
Capt. Picard
Radeon Evergreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
You want network imaging. It's doable via technologies that utilize PXE, like Windows Deployment Services but that's for an environment with a server and requires significant setup.

So I'll have to go the manual route again ...

Okay, it's not that big a deal. It's just a little bit more physical labour.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 03:24 PM   #6
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

DigitalDemon once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'DigitalDemon once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'DigitalDemon once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'DigitalDemon once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'DigitalDemon once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'DigitalDemon once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Picard View Post

So I'll have to go the manual route again ...

Okay, it's not that big a deal. It's just a little bit more physical labour.
No no no, more like easy as pie.

Enter ERPXE, a multi-iso PXE service daemon for windows and linux. Basically runs a PXE server service, and you can build a little menu that allows booting of iso images, even utilities!

http://erpxe.com/

DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 03:43 PM   #7
Capt. Picard
Radeon Evergreen

I'll try and figure it out tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Tomorrow morning I have to manage 300 boys and girls at the long jump pit and sort them into groups for our field athletics event on Friday afternoon.

Not looking forward to it. Whole day on my feet and in the hot African sun.

Last edited by Capt. Picard : Jan 11, 2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 08:04 PM   #8
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDemon View Post
No no no, more like easy as pie.

Enter ERPXE, a multi-iso PXE service daemon for windows and linux. Basically runs a PXE server service, and you can build a little menu that allows booting of iso images, even utilities!

http://erpxe.com/

Ooh, that's nice!
Old Jan 12, 2017, 07:01 AM   #9
Capt. Picard
Radeon Evergreen

This will take ages to figure out. I'm better off doing it the cumbersome way.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 08:51 AM   #10
Shadowless
U Mad Bro?

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Just use clonezilla and keep an image on a usb hard drive. Easy Peazy.
Desktop - Fractal Design Define R4 | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Intel Core i5 3570K | Antec Kuhler 620 | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x Lite-On DVD-R/RW | eVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair CX750 | Acer H276HL | Windows 10 Pro
File Server - NZXT Classic Series Source 210 | ASRock 970A-G/3.1 | AMD FX-8320E Black Edition | 2x4GB DDR3 | 128GB Samsung 830 | 4x2TB HGST UlstraStar | Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 | Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W | Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
I play a medic in TF2 so I think I know a little bit about diagnosing disease. Plus I watched a lot of House.
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:25 PM   #11
Capt. Picard
Radeon Evergreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowless View Post
Just use clonezilla and keep an image on a usb hard drive. Easy Peazy.
Two operating systems on 2 different partitions?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 01:21 PM   #12
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Picard View Post
Two operating systems on 2 different partitions?
Most clone utilities I've seen can do an entire disk structure. Ghost can do sector-by-sector even.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 02:40 AM   #13
atomBomb
Diamond Stealth 2mb VRAM

atomBomb is still being judged by the masses

http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-SE/

looks like just the case your looking for, the example is for 40 computers

At the end of article is link to http://www.drbl-winroll.org/
So you can fix computer name etc problems over network.

Tell us how it goes, very much interested.

pc-masterrace
atomBomb is offline   Reply With Quote