Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Mar 11, 2002, 08:34 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
RAGE LT MAN
The guy sent to get ya...

RAGE LT MAN is still being judged by the masses

Default nVidia Soundstorm: the rumor thread.

Well, post whatever the hell it is you think you know about it, speculation counts, wishes should be marked as such (so as to not raise any hollow rumors and get hopes up).
Athlon XP 1800+ @ 1.9ghz (200x9.5), Alpha Pal8045T heatsink, 512mb PC3200 DDR Ram (400mhz), Geforce 4 ti4600 (yes, i do own you), Audigy X-gamer, Win XPpro, WD caviar 40 gig (uata100), Maxtor 80gig ata133 HD, DVD-RW, 16x48 DVD, all running on a MSI KT3 Ultra ARU, with USB2.0 support and hardware IDE (ata133) raid.
RAGE LT MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2002, 08:59 PM   #2
Silentst2000
Radeon Southern Islands

Silentst2000 is still being judged by the masses

by the name it sounds like a audio device. maybe something better than what is already on the nforce mobo's.
Old Mar 11, 2002, 09:22 PM   #3
Bigus Dickus
Radeon Evergreen

Location: You know, I've seen some damn long descriptions of where people live, and I was just wondering how freakin' long of a location they actually allow you to write in here. Looks like it's quite a bit. Oh well, if the space is here I'll use it!!! :)
Bigus Dickus is still being judged by the masses

I heard it's a next generation weapon that uses sonic energy... much like those in Dune. It's rumored that if you shot "FanATic" loud enough, it will rupture blood vessels in ATi owners.

IMO, Mr. Derek Smart is a hypocrite: Only someone who is either (a) lying (b) ashamed of their products (c) just plain ashamed, would hestitate to give out some simple and straight forward information. - Derek Smart, Ph.D.
Bigus Dickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 11, 2002, 09:54 PM   #4
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I once read an article about how the nForce motherboards has the best integrated sound ...both in quality and performance wise/cpu utilization...

If it's a stand alone version of thier nFornce onboard sound...I'm in already...
Old Mar 12, 2002, 12:50 AM   #5
RAGE LT MAN

It seems to be more than an MCP from what i'm hearing. Looks like Aureal Tech being used as the engineers are all former aureal employees. Aureal's 3d sound used REAL wavetracing to create a 3d environment, not some damned presets like the SB audigy and live. if they modify the MCP with one of those, put it as a standalone with good A3D 3/EAX HD/DSD38/OpenAL support, they'll put creative under in a matter of weeks.
Athlon XP 1800+ @ 1.9ghz (200x9.5), Alpha Pal8045T heatsink, 512mb PC3200 DDR Ram (400mhz), Geforce 4 ti4600 (yes, i do own you), Audigy X-gamer, Win XPpro, WD caviar 40 gig (uata100), Maxtor 80gig ata133 HD, DVD-RW, 16x48 DVD, all running on a MSI KT3 Ultra ARU, with USB2.0 support and hardware IDE (ata133) raid.
Old Mar 12, 2002, 01:46 AM   #6
Atarion
Rage3D Veteran

Atarion is still being judged by the masses

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by RAGE LT MAN
if they modify the MCP with one of those, put it as a standalone with good A3D 3/EAX HD/DSD38/OpenAL support, they'll put creative under in a matter of weeks.
We can only hope!
Old Mar 12, 2002, 02:09 AM   #7
Mystik
Radeon Arctic Islands

Mystik is still being judged by the masses

More competition = lower prices = better products.

I like it already. =)
Old Mar 12, 2002, 04:10 AM   #8
jima13
Retired

jima13 is still being judged by the masses

Question Fill in the gaps

Quote:
It seems to be more than an MCP from what i'm hearing. Looks like Aureal Tech being used as the engineers are all former aureal employees. Aureal's 3d sound used REAL wavetracing to create a 3d environment, not some damned presets like the SB audigy and live. if they modify the MCP with one of those, put it as a standalone with good A3D 3/EAX HD/DSD38/OpenAL support, they'll put creative under in a matter of weeks.
We know Aureal had the better tech; so Creative sued them out of business (the deep pockets theory) then picked up the Aureal carcass for $22mil, which I thought included the tech/patents? I had hoped Guillemot would outbid them, but no luck...Creative just wanted to bury the competition

my mini rant make any sense?
jima13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2002, 05:03 AM   #9
mulciber
Radeon Arctic Islands

mulciber is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigus Dickus
I heard it's a next generation weapon that uses sonic energy... much like those in Dune. It's rumored that if you shot "FanATic" loud enough, it will rupture blood vessels in ATi owners.
You are talkin about the Dune movie
the book didnt have any of those stupid sonic things
[13:45:19] <Mulciber> PEACE TO ALAH! *explodes in crowd of children*
[13:45:47] <Hanners> lol
[13:45:52] <Robotzombie> clockwork knows all about exploding onto a crowd of children

mulciber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2002, 05:09 AM   #10
mulciber
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Im pretty sure that nVidia just liscensed the Sensura 3d audo engine and slapped it into the MCP for the nForce.
It is possable that they are working on their own audio processor, but it may or may not be as good as the one Sensura has already designed. Of course, they may also take the Aureal engineers they have and totaly rework the Sensura design to give us some hybrid audio processor.

Last time anyone asked nVidia about this though, they denied it compeletely.

I really dunno who would make these cards though if nVidia went through with it. I seriously doubt Hercules would. Creative surely wont, doubtful that Philips would. That really doesnt leave anyone else.
You have to have a big name company to market things like these because most people dont know jack crap about sound cards.
If nVidia decided to producte the boards and market them themselves it would be a major deviation from their current buisiness model.
[13:45:52] <Robotzombie> clockwork knows all about exploding onto a crowd of children

Old Mar 12, 2002, 01:23 PM   #11
Frodo301
Radeon R300

Frodo301 is still being judged by the masses

Default I'm not brand loyal

and if this is true and they find a vendor I'm in. The best soundcard I ever owned bar none is my old Diamond MX300 Aureal. Dang fine card. If it really is Aureal workers behind the scenes it will rule the sound card world. Of course that would place Nvidia in another hardware market.....

By the way 100th post, oh yeah, uh huh. Took me long enough.
WinXP + Win 98se dual boot, K7S5A Rev 7, v. 3.1, 512 DDR 2700, Radeon 8500, Maxtor 60 gig hd 7200, Maxtor 80 gig hd 7200, USR V.Everything Modem, Philips CDrw, Panasonic 5X DVDrom, Real Magic Hollywood Plus, Philips Acoustic Edge sound, Logitech Z-560 speakers, Microsoft Optical Mouse, Logitech Internet keyboard, NEC Multisync FE700 monitor, and Athlon XP 1900 with Thermoengine +Delta fan
Frodo301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2002, 05:21 PM   #12
Bigus Dickus
Radeon Evergreen

Location: You know, I've seen some damn long descriptions of where people live, and I was just wondering how freakin' long of a location they actually allow you to write in here. Looks like it's quite a bit. Oh well, if the space is here I'll use it!!! :)

Quote:
Originally posted by mulciber

You are talkin about the Dune movie
the book didnt have any of those stupid sonic things
Correct.

IMO, Mr. Derek Smart is a hypocrite: Only someone who is either (a) lying (b) ashamed of their products (c) just plain ashamed, would hestitate to give out some simple and straight forward information. - Derek Smart, Ph.D.
Old Mar 12, 2002, 06:47 PM   #13
Ratchet
The Tool

Ratchet is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Is that a logical step for a graphics chipset company? Soundcards? I guess they did the whole nForce motherboard chipset thing (which imo was a flop) which has sound integrated. Maybe they are trying to Microsoft the hardware world? What's next from nVidia? Hard-drives? CPUs?
Old Mar 12, 2002, 08:30 PM   #14
Frodo301
Radeon R300

Frodo301 is still being judged by the masses

Operating systems

Quote:
Originally posted by Ratchet
What's next from nVidia? Hard-drives? CPUs?
WinXP + Win 98se dual boot, K7S5A Rev 7, v. 3.1, 512 DDR 2700, Radeon 8500, Maxtor 60 gig hd 7200, Maxtor 80 gig hd 7200, USR V.Everything Modem, Philips CDrw, Panasonic 5X DVDrom, Real Magic Hollywood Plus, Philips Acoustic Edge sound, Logitech Z-560 speakers, Microsoft Optical Mouse, Logitech Internet keyboard, NEC Multisync FE700 monitor, and Athlon XP 1900 with Thermoengine +Delta fan
Frodo301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2002, 08:58 PM   #15
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Why is it a flop?
I think Nvidia is always coming out with good stuff...
Although that dual-channel DDr doesn't help boost nForce performance, I think it's still a solid motherboard for AMD processors...atleast the newest ones with non-onboard components...

Quote:
Is that a logical step for a graphics chipset company? Soundcards? I guess they did the whole nForce motherboard chipset thing (which imo was a flop) which has sound integrated. Maybe they are trying to Microsoft the hardware world? What's next from nVidia? Hard-drives? CPUs?
Old Mar 12, 2002, 11:18 PM   #16
Ratchet
The Tool

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Payne3d
Why is it a flop?
It was a flop simply because it it got spanked by the KT266A chipset from VIA. Faster and cheaper = VIA win. nVidia hopefully has learned something, and will start to produce quality chipsets the next go around (to be fair, this was nVidias first chipset so based on that, it was a very respectable effort)
Old Mar 13, 2002, 12:06 AM   #17
mulciber
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:

It was a flop simply because it it got spanked by the KT266A chipset from VIA. Faster and cheaper = VIA win. nVidia hopefully has learned something, and will start to produce quality chipsets the next go around (to be fair, this was nVidias first chipset so based on that, it was a very respectable effort)
with all due respect it still has the fastest integrated video on the market.
they are just now getting into this feild, i think the nForce was a success. They proved they could put out a stable and fast chipset. the KT266A barely kept up with it in terms of speed, and it was a second revision of the KT266. VIAs been in the market a long time and they still are buggy as hell.

Old Mar 13, 2002, 01:13 AM   #18
Bigus Dickus
Radeon Evergreen

There are many different forms and levels of success. I don't think the nForce boards were (or will be) much in the way of a financial success. I also don't think they were really a performance success, at least not in the way we were hoping. They were however a very big "proof of ability" success, showing that nVidia has the technological savvy to produce a solid product on their first attempt, and establishing a good start to a good reputation in that market. They also may have served (will serve) as a marketing success, but that is less certain and who really knows about marketing anyway.

Old Mar 13, 2002, 10:16 AM   #19
Ratchet
The Tool

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by mulciber

with all due respect it still has the fastest integrated video on the market.
they are just now getting into this feild, i think the nForce was a success. They proved they could put out a stable and fast chipset. the KT266A barely kept up with it in terms of speed, and it was a second revision of the KT266. VIAs been in the market a long time and they still are buggy as hell.
I don't really want to get into an argument over this, but the integrated video on the nForce is a joke. I'm aware that it's not aimed at the enthusiast market but the OEM market, but then OEMs are looking at price first aren't they?
And the last benchmarks I saw comparing the various chipsets the KT266a was fastest, hands down. Still, like I said (and like Bigus said), it was a good "proof of ability" for nVidia, I'm sure that thier next attempt will be much better... and knowing nVidia, much more expensie too.

Last edited by Ratchet : Mar 13, 2002 at 10:18 AM.
Ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2002, 11:31 AM   #20
karlotta
they are real

karlotta is still being judged by the masses

well i hope nvidia makes a sound card!
but the nforce is a great chip set!!! 10fps less than a 266a in
Q3 when both chips are in the mid to high 200fps is not a spanking!
lame bench marking! The nvidia product line will grow and ATI will follow with there own chipset and sound solution! Life is good in geek land
karlotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2002, 06:09 PM   #21
RAGE LT MAN

karlotta, i still prefer the extra 10 fps to go to my higher res textures and FSAA .
Old Apr 12, 2002, 05:21 AM   #22
ChiKaze

Location: Zen mastery involves losing everything. This includes losing your zen mastery.
ChiKaze is still being judged by the masses

Superior tech doesn't win, superior marketing does.

I like sis's direction. Bringing the 2 parts back together is the future. Along with gigabyte, msi, or epox, that board will be one hell of a winner. (if they ever make it)
Old Apr 13, 2002, 10:26 PM   #23
Madstrom
Old and Confused.

Madstrom is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigus Dickus
You know. That part about the movie annoys the hell out of me. They mentioned a style of battle in the book, but not once mentioned that it had anything to do with sonic waves or sound. The only mention of sound was the Bene Gesserit's "Voice."

Oh yeah...and to get back on track with the rest of the ATI fans here -
ATI GOOD! All others BAD!
Madstrom is offline   Reply With Quote