Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

Old Feb 8, 2011, 12:40 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
patrick_kidd

patrick_kidd is still being judged by the masses

Default Radeon hd 6870 - Display driver stopped responding and successfully recovered

This happens every time I try to play Tf2, the witcher, or L4D2. As soon as any of these games get past the loading screen to actually enter a game (or server loading screen in tf2/l4d2), The screen will flicker to black, the fans in my case stop momentarily, and the games crash giving the error Hl2.exe has had an error... If I do this in windowed mode, the bottom gives a message saying "Display driver amd driver has stopped responding and has successfully recovered" This happens every time.

This is a new pc I just built, and has been doing so since it was finnished. There had only been one time where TF2 and the witcher both worked, and that was after I installed Dirt 2 (and Directx 11 was installed on my system). They then proceeded not to work after I tweaked my ram settings in the bios (and then reverted all back to auto).

Specs are as follows:

amd phenom ii x4 970
ASUS M4A79T Deluxe
SAPPHIRE 100314SR Radeon HD 6870
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
ASUS VH236H Black 23" 2ms(GTG)
Windows 7 64bit ultimate.

Things I've done so far to try and fix:

Stripped out all video drivers and reinstalled them about a dozen times (including using a driver sweeper on some passes)

Prevented windows from auto installing drivers when none are present (to make sure it doesn't do so while I install official ones)

Installed drivers from original Dvd and official site

Over clock, Under clock, Change idle core/memory clock, turn up fan

Flash bios to newest version

Overclock ram/return to normal speeds

Run memtest86 (0 errors returned)

Tried playing with default windows drivers

Uninstalled ati HD audio drivers

I'll post if I remember anything else. Also these game were tried with a fresh DL from steam, all come up validated and defragged.

I can run Dirt2 at 1920 x 1080 at ultra settings w/ full antialiasing and anistrophic filtering, so I don't believe the card is over heating. I've also bench tested it in MSI Kombustor, and it runs just fine.

Anyone have any ideas?? This is really killing me because I don't want to return the card since I have seen that it offers some great performance... My motherboard wont do Geforce SLI, so I'm hesistant to make the switch. I've also considered just spending the extra $ and going for the hd 6950.... though I would be devistated if I kept getting the same error.

Any help is appreciated, I have a week or so before I can't return it.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:00 PM   #2
Manachanter

Manachanter is still being judged by the masses

I'm having a very similar issue ever since I upgraded from a 4870 to a 6870 at the start of the month.

Motherboard: DFI LanParty DK P45-T2RS Plus - yes, updated BIOS to the latest version from DFI
CPU: Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00 GHz (stock speed)
RAM: 4 x 2 OCZ Gold DDR2 6400 - tested with MemTest Pro every month for 4 hours at a time, last test performed 2 days ago, also tried single module setups to ensure this isn't a RAM issue
HDD: WDC 750GB Caviar Black
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit - Also a fresh install of the same OS has been tried on a secondary WDC 1TB Caviar Green drive, same issue
Optical: Samsung BD DVD Drive - Samsung BD drivers installed on the main OS, none on the secondary OS install
PSU (initial): Corsair 650W
PSU (new): PowerCool 850W
Monitors (initally dual but dropped to 1 for testing): Asus 22" VH222H
Prior to removing the 4870 I uninstalled all the ATI entries from the Programs list, booted into safe mode and used Driver Sweeper to remove the rest. Shut down, swapped the cards and booted back into Windows. Installed the new 11.1 drivers, rebooted and decided to test it:

BF:BC2 refused to load and the machine hard froze. OK, hard rebooted and tried again, same thing. Repeat, tried WoW in maximized window mode, VPU recovery kicked in, cycled a few times then hard froze again.

Rebooted, tried WoW in normal window mode, VPU kicks in but then stabilizes and works as normal. Until I maximize it when it just freezes again.

I thought it was the PSU as I have quite a few physical drives so got a brand new 850W (up from a 650W) and no difference.

Thinking it was something to do with the games themselves I tried to disable Aero... bang! Same thing again, machine froze when I clicked to Windows Classic resulting in a forced hard reboot.

With the 11.2 release I tried the card again, no difference.

It seems I can run run games in windowed mode with some initial VPU recovery but nothing maximized or fullscreen.

So, I've narrowed it down to either the card or the drivers. However, the same drivers (11.1 and 11.2) have been installed and working with the 4870 with no issue.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 08:19 AM   #3
peptide

peptide is still being judged by the masses

I had a problem with one of my systems (AMD PhenomII X4 925, Asus M4N72-E, 6GB DDR2, TX-850W PS, Win7-64 HP and Nvidia GTS250) playing certain games. It would freeze, and I would have to perform a reset. It was especially bad with Dead Space...it froze at the very beginning of the game, and always at the same spot. I had problems with other games, but they were less predictable and at least playable.

I tried all of the usual stuff: new MB drivers and BIOS, a 1.5 year spread of video drivers, checked temps, etc. I even imaged the existing machine state, reloaded Windows...nothing.

I then did something I should have from the beginning - I looked in the event viewer. After careful inspection of the Event Viewer, I determined that there was often a "WHEA-Logger Event 20" fatal hardware error (AMD Northbridge) that accompanied the system freeze. I also noticed that most services were still running and making log entries (the system wasn't completely dead), but other PCI-E bus dependent subsystems were failing as they "timed-out". Research disclosed that many things could cause the problem (MB BIOS, MB drivers, etc.) but those were all up-to-date.

After reading that some PCI-E adapters could cause this issue, I swapped video cards (ATI Radeon 6950) and the problem seems completely resolved.

I hope this at least gives you a place to look.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad