Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jul 5, 2010, 05:04 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Thacker
Radeon R420

Thacker is still being judged by the masses

Default So I finally tried this overclocking thing out... (q6600)

I've been using this PC at stock speeds for the past 1.5 years.

The q6600 in itself is a great chip... but everytime its mentioned everyone always touted on its overclock potential. About a week ago the stock heatsink fan went out and I had to grab a replacement. After doing some minor research I picked up a cheap coolermaster hyper tx3.

After doing some more research the q6600 I ended up with was a G0, with a stock vcore of 1.225 which is susposed to be insanely low.

After reading up and tinkering with the vcore, memory timings and voltage etc I have gotten my system stable at 3.5 Ghz. 1:1 FSB and my temps are around 65c loaded in prime after one hour.

To say I am happy is an understatement... this feels like a totally different machine. FPS has almost doubled in some of the CPU dependent games I play and general computing feels so much faster. I also read that I was lucky in the sense that I have 8gb of ram (4 sticks) and that overclocking this high with that much memory / dimms is awesome.

I guess the only problem now will be that every computer I get in the future will be immediately overclocked.

Last edited by Thacker : Jul 5, 2010 at 05:07 AM.
Thacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:50 AM   #2
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

jesus only 1.296v for 3.5Ghz? I had to do 1.38v on the vCore for 3.6 on my old Q6600.

Very good chip, you can easily push 3.8 on that thing
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:07 AM   #3
vitocorleone
Radeon Arctic Islands

vitocorleone is still being judged by the masses

I run my q9450 @ 3.19 (issue with mobo/memory means i either have to run above or below 3.2) at about 1.15ish volts. don't remember exactly. i have an OCZ heatpipe cooler on there and the cores average 40-50C in Windows, gaming takes them up more around 60-65 i think

stability is the most important thing for me, not speed

the main difference is running the bus @ 800 Mhz i think

reverting to stock speed makes vista x64 seem slow for sure, especially booting up etc.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:12 AM   #4
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Congrats on taking the plunge. I love my undervolted Q6600 at 3.2 GHz. Pretty much as much CPU power as all but a few need. Definitely the best chip I have ever owned. As far as I am concerned the thing deserves to be a legend.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 12:14 PM   #5
Thacker
Radeon R420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
jesus only 1.296v for 3.5Ghz? I had to do 1.38v on the vCore for 3.6 on my old Q6600.

Very good chip, you can easily push 3.8 on that thing
Yea, I have it set to 1.35 in the bios but I guess with "vdroop" it is only at 1.29 actual.

3.5 is as high as I want to go... I experimented with 3.6 @ 400fsb but was getting some random page faults in non paged area BSODs @ 1.4v in the bios.

Does anyone know how high I could set the V in the bios and still be safe with my chip?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 12:55 PM   #6
DiaperJe|\|i3
Proud Papa

DiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete stranger

about time you broke your cherry
DiaperJe|\|i3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 02:06 PM   #7
DigitalDemon
Flaccid Flexor

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thacker View Post
Yea, I have it set to 1.35 in the bios but I guess with "vdroop" it is only at 1.29 actual.

3.5 is as high as I want to go... I experimented with 3.6 @ 400fsb but was getting some random page faults in non paged area BSODs @ 1.4v in the bios.

Does anyone know how high I could set the V in the bios and still be safe with my chip?
They are usually safe to 1.50v. Mine is at 3.6ghz with 1.37, and can push 4.0ghz at 1.50v, but I need better cooling to keep it stable.
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 02:32 PM   #8
Thacker
Radeon R420

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDemon View Post
They are usually safe to 1.50v. Mine is at 3.6ghz with 1.37, and can push 4.0ghz at 1.50v, but I need better cooling to keep it stable.
I just tried 3.6 with 1.425v set in the bios. It ended up crashing with a BSOD and temps were hovering around 70c on the hottest of the 4 cores...

I backed it back down to a stable 3.5. Dont think upping the voltage and gaining 5-7c is worth another 100mhz. On the other hand... could a BSOD page fault in non paged area be cleared up by upping my memory timings? Say 6-6-6 from 5-5-5 ? Or would the drop in performance there not be worth it.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 07:59 PM   #9
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

I keep mine at 3.5 and at times 3.55, volts though is 1.45v. Runs smooth, at 3.6 it so far just doesn't like, upping the volts to 1.5 doesn't help either.
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 08:03 PM   #10
Thacker
Radeon R420

Quote:
Originally Posted by noko View Post
I keep mine at 3.5 and at times 3.55, volts though is 1.45v. Runs smooth, at 3.6 it so far just doesn't like, upping the volts to 1.5 doesn't help either.
I can't imagine the difference between 3.5 and 3.6 being noticeable in anything but benchmarks.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 08:28 PM   #11
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

Yes agreed.
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:57 PM   #12
Faceless Rebel
Rage3D Veteran

Faceless Rebel can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFaceless Rebel can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I'm pretty content at 3.2. I've pushed it to 3.4 and saw no useful difference in what I do, and unfortunately mine's a bit of a stinker in the voltage department, it needs a LOT to even hit 3.4.
Faceless Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 06:18 PM   #13
Thacker
Radeon R420

Hey everyone, wanted to post an update.

I recently changed my case to an ANTEC 300, and my CPU cooler to a hyper 212+

I have since then been able to increase my OC to 3.7 2 hour prime Stable @ 1.468(bios) vcore , 1.41 CPUZ Actual

Max temps are 59c with the hottest core hitting 60c

I guess I could hit 3.8 pretty easily now? Amazing what this chip has been able to do on AIR alone.

Old Jul 13, 2010, 06:45 PM   #14
Thacker
Radeon R420

I don't honestly know how my chip is doing this.

Do I have the greatest q6600 of all time?

Currently running prime95 right now, and temps are as shown in the final screenshot.

1.36v reported in CPUz during 100% load and vdroop.

Do you guys see anything I should be worried about here? I will NEVER go above 3.8... but honestly everything looks as if I could if I wanted to.

Idle is around 38c and loads are as seen in the screenshot. This is with the Hyper212+ and 1.42idle volts as reported by CPUz.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 03:44 PM   #15
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

I would consider manually setting your PLL, vNB, and VTT since auto tends to over volt on most boards. I would also do a nice 40 runs of Intel Burn Test. I would also run this custom Prime 95 test. It works very well to stress the northbridge. It heats up my old P45 NB more than any other test that I ran.

BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 09:43 PM   #16
Raiasokura
Radeon Northern Islands

Raiasokura is still being judged by the masses

Ive heard of cherry picked 6600's doing 4Ghz with water but these are the best ones available. seems like you have a decent chip on your hands.

running at 3.6 is seen as really good for 6600's as far as I know.
Raiasokura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:04 PM   #17
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Welcome to the club, I've been a member since my Pentium 133
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:13 AM   #18
Thacker
Radeon R420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiasokura View Post
Ive heard of cherry picked 6600's doing 4Ghz with water but these are the best ones available. seems like you have a decent chip on your hands.

running at 3.6 is seen as really good for 6600's as far as I know.
I've been running at 3.83 the past few days without a problem. I can't get a good answer as to whats a "safe" voltage for this chip... I am at 1.42 now but some say 1.55 is max? 1.5 is max? Blah....

I was at 4.0 and was stable in prime for 30 minutes before I backed it down to 3.8... I was afraid that the 1.49v I was pushing might be too high for extended use.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:48 AM   #19
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thacker View Post
I've been running at 3.83 the past few days without a problem. I can't get a good answer as to whats a "safe" voltage for this chip... I am at 1.42 now but some say 1.55 is max? 1.5 is max? Blah....

I was at 4.0 and was stable in prime for 30 minutes before I backed it down to 3.8... I was afraid that the 1.49v I was pushing might be too high for extended use.
With loadline I wouldn't feel comfortable near 1.5v personally. Keep in mind VTT and PLL can be just as dangerous.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote