Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Apr 15, 2008, 04:00 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
NEODARK
Radeon Sea Islands

NEODARK is still being judged by the masses

Question Pan's Labyrinth & The Orphanage type movies

So,

The Spanish cinema has been pumping out great movies lately. I recently watched The Orphanage, & previously saw Pan's Labyrinth... Now I'm hooked, these movies have been a great alternative to Hollywood's best lately.

The thing is... Could anyone recommend similar movies from the Spanish cinema, or director Guillermo del Toro?

PS: If you haven't seen these they are worth at least a watch. (just keep in mind you'll need subs)
Old Apr 15, 2008, 04:05 PM   #2
traitoR
Galactic Butterfly

traitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEODARK View Post
So,

The Spanish cinema has been pumping out great movies lately. I recently watched The Orphanage, & previously saw Pan's Labyrinth... Now I'm hooked, these movies have been a great alternative to Hollywood's best lately.

The thing is... Could anyone recommend similar movies from the Spanish cinema, or director Guillermo del Toro?

PS: If you haven't seen these they are worth at least a watch. (just keep in mind you'll need subs)

I actually just saw Pan's Labyrinth yesterday, it was a pretty good movie, evoked a lot of emotion... , , ,, ...

The dream of eternal life is far more compelling than living one.
traitoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 04:22 PM   #3
swingline
Dab on them folks

swingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Subscriber

Pan's Labyrinth is great.
The man who in times of popular excitement boldly and unflinchingly resists hot-tempered clamor for an unnecessary war, and thus exposes himself to the opprobrious imputation of a lack of patriotism or of courage, to the end of saving his country from a great calamity, is, as to "loving and faithfully serving his country," at least as good a patriot as the hero of the most daring feat of arms, and a far better one than those who, with an ostentatious pretense of superior patriotism, cry for war before it is needed, especially if then they let others do the fighting. - Carl Schurz

RIP Jesse
swingline is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 15, 2008, 04:27 PM   #4
bounty_hunter
Radeon Arctic Islands

bounty_hunter is still being judged by the masses

I really really wanna see the orphanage, sucks that it was a limited release.

Yea spanish cinema finally started producing quality films and im rooting for em.

system sepcs: Ultra X-Finity 500W ATX PS w/2 80mm Fans-Athlon-64 3400+ - GigaByte K8NS nForce-3 250 Chipset- ATI Radeon X800-Pro 256MB-Western Digital 200 GB 7200 RPM-dvd 16x-sony dvd rw dw-d22a
once in the 70's i tried boy scout cookies, they tasted weird and confusing. -logen
bounty_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 04:36 PM   #5
ViCyniC
Radeon Arctic Islands

ViCyniC is still being judged by the masses

del Toro made Blade II .

Some other well made movies from Latin directors but not in the style of Pan's Labrynth are Babel, Children of Men, The Motorcycle Diaries, and Tu Mama Tambien, among others I'm sure.

Pan's and Orphanage were both great (I liked Pan's more though)...saw both in theaters.
ViCyniC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 05:19 PM   #6
Pirate Neilsouth
The undead have returned!

Pirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingline View Post
Pan's Labyrinth is great.
I thought Pan's Labyrinth was ****e , however the orphanage i really enjoyed!

I posted about the orphanage awhile ago , if you want another good spanish movie to watch get [REC]
Old Apr 15, 2008, 05:29 PM   #7
swingline
Dab on them folks

swingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Neilsouth View Post

I posted about the orphanage awhile ago , if you want another good spanish movie to watch get [REC]
Really?

Why didn't you like it?
The man who in times of popular excitement boldly and unflinchingly resists hot-tempered clamor for an unnecessary war, and thus exposes himself to the opprobrious imputation of a lack of patriotism or of courage, to the end of saving his country from a great calamity, is, as to "loving and faithfully serving his country," at least as good a patriot as the hero of the most daring feat of arms, and a far better one than those who, with an ostentatious pretense of superior patriotism, cry for war before it is needed, especially if then they let others do the fighting. - Carl Schurz

RIP Jesse
swingline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 07:05 PM   #8
genci88
lololololol

genci88 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViCyniC View Post
Babel
Highly recommended.

- The hardest thing about getting a Mac is telling your parents that you're gay.

- If I had the choice between being gay and owning a Mac, I would rather be gay, because if I owned a Mac I would be both gay and own a horrible computer.

- Imagine a giant cock flying towards your mouth, and there's nothing you can do about it. And you're like "Oh man, I'm gonna have to suck this thing", and you brace yourself to suck this giant cock. But then, at the last moment, it changes trajectory and hits you in the eye. You think to yourself "Well, at least I got that out of the way", but then the giant cock rears back and stabs your eye again, and again, and again. Eventually, this giant cock is penetrating your gray matter, and you begin to lose control of your motor skills. That's when the giant cock slaps you across the cheek, causing you to fall out of your chair. Unable to move and at your most vulnerable, the giant cock finally lodges itself in your anus, where it rests comfortably for 4, maybe 5 hours. That's what using Mac OSX is like.
genci88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 07:20 PM   #9
KellzBellz
Radeon R100

KellzBellz is still being judged by the masses

I have seen & enjoyed both movies.....Though, I liked Pan's Labyrinth more out of the two....
KellzBellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:01 PM   #10
SilentBunny
shinigami

SilentBunny is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
i never thought i'd hear someone else say they didnt like that movie lol

everyone and their grandmas loved pan's labryrinth but i kinda hated the main character for being a constant dumbass (maybe it was just that blankness on her face) but that's just me :P

i watched the orphanage recently, i like how minimal the special effects was, yet very effective. horror movies should take note on the way it's filmed, imho. too often, horror is overdone and creepy value is kinda lost.

you can look up del Toro movies on his imdb page

spanish is not a language i like listening to tho, so i generally avoid such movies
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:09 PM   #11
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

dreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete stranger

Pan's Labyrinth was ****ing excellent.
dreamwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 07:23 AM   #12
red_star
Banned

red_star is still being judged by the masses

Pan's Labyrinth was boring for me...
red_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 07:28 AM   #13
kepler
Radeon Arctic Islands

kepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Jamon, Jamon.

Old Apr 16, 2008, 07:32 AM   #14
lumpyhed
Radeon Arctic Islands

lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

For some reason they have him down for making The Hobbit...
lumpyhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 08:51 AM   #15
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

dreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_star View Post
Pan's Labyrinth was boring for me...
What? Not enough explosions?
dreamwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 08:54 AM   #16
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Children of the Corn...

Ok, maybe not...
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 09:28 AM   #17
NEODARK
Radeon Sea Islands

Quote:

Thanks, I'm going to check [REC], as well as some others mentioned here
Old Apr 16, 2008, 09:52 AM   #18
Matrix0507
Scootable Catalyst

Matrix0507 is still being judged by the masses

Spanish horror recommendation?
Try Tesis
Originally Posted by gaurav_fhs
1 simple thread by Matrix started this nonsense?
Matrix0507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:12 AM   #19
lumpyhed
Radeon Arctic Islands

lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I'm just watching Orphanage right now and:

!!!
Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:19 AM   #20
kepler
Radeon Arctic Islands

kepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Old Apr 17, 2008, 01:49 PM   #21
NEODARK
Radeon Sea Islands

^^
Old Apr 17, 2008, 01:53 PM   #22
bounty_hunter
Radeon Arctic Islands

bounty_hunter is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Thanks, I'm going to check [REC], as well as some others mentioned here
[rec] was pretty freaking awesome

system sepcs: Ultra X-Finity 500W ATX PS w/2 80mm Fans-Athlon-64 3400+ - GigaByte K8NS nForce-3 250 Chipset- ATI Radeon X800-Pro 256MB-Western Digital 200 GB 7200 RPM-dvd 16x-sony dvd rw dw-d22a
once in the 70's i tried boy scout cookies, they tasted weird and confusing. -logen
bounty_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2008, 01:58 PM   #23
P1x44r
Radeon Arctic Islands

P1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird sings

[REC] is great.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 02:18 PM   #24
lumpyhed
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
^^
Its the computer
Old Apr 17, 2008, 02:39 PM   #25
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

OMG, Sinclair!

HAHAHAH like almost 30 years old...

MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2008, 03:13 PM   #26
Ibis
Radeon Evergreen

Ibis is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpyhed View Post
Its the computer
Oh, I thought he meant the whole "IN OUT IN OUT IN OUT..." thingie, and it being sexual in some way.
Ibis is offline   Reply With Quote