Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:32 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Default Details On Benioff & Weiss’ “Star Wars” Exit

"Heat Vision got the ball rolling today saying the pair’s exit has been brewing since August when Lucasfilm chief Kathleen Kennedy was very unhappy with the Netflix deal the duo just signed. She reportedly was not convinced the pair could juggle a sci-fi trilogy while also overseeing film and TV projects at Netflix, and admittedly the pair have never really tackled anything other than ‘Thrones’.

Around the same time, Benioff and Weiss were working on a treatment for Disney and Lucasfilm with the pair committed to penning at least one of the films, even though the original deal was to write all three. Their ambitious plan was to explore a period in which the Jedi came to exist."

http://www.darkhorizons.com/details-...tar-wars-exit/

The Force was not with them....

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:41 AM   #2
bob saget
Stage 5 ultra-athiest

bob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Oh mighty Zeus, please use your infinite wisdom to stop Dumb and Dumber from ever working in hollywood again.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2019, 11:40 AM   #3
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Don't worry though, they'll be fine. Netflix $250m is a good consolation.

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 31, 2019, 11:41 AM   #4
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
Don't worry though, they'll be fine. Netflix $250m is a good consolation.
Ya, rly.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2019, 02:16 PM   #5
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

They really should team up with David Lindelof.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:22 PM   #6
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Well Lindelof has hit out of the park with Watchmen so not such a bad idea.

But the revolving door of directors is wrecking the franchise. Maybe ask Lucas for one last one with him at the helm?

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2019, 07:22 AM   #7
Jay20016
Truth Doesn't Make Fact

Jay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
They really should team up with Damon Lindelof.
Lost, for all of the plot pacing issues actually wasn't too bad of a show when it knew where the finish line was. It started out great and then you could just feel it slowing down to fill time until it got the end date. What they did with that ending is another thing, but if it were a few less seasons it might have actually felt satisfying for the main characters.

The left overs on HBO also wasn't too bad either for the show they wanted to tell. I know the lack of an answer on "where'd they go" left some pretty raw, but I don't think that was their ultimate goal in the first place, it was always about those still here and what that would look like.

Watchmen, has been 2 for 2 with me. Great call backs thus far for those who were invested in the books and just enough for those who aren't to get some of the ball rolling on backstory.

Try as he might I don't think he could ever create the last couple seasons of game of thrones ****ery... This, is only good news for Star Wars fans IMO. Just the way that the two have held themselves in interviews talking about now "theme doesn't matter" and the absolute **** writing they're capable of when they can't crib off of someone else's is all the more reason that Netflix is perfect for them.

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."
Jay20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2019, 08:07 AM   #8
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay20016 View Post
Lost, for all of the plot pacing issues actually wasn't too bad of a show when it knew where the finish line was. It started out great and then you could just feel it slowing down to fill time until it got the end date. What they did with that ending is another thing, but if it were a few less seasons it might have actually felt satisfying for the main characters.

The left overs on HBO also wasn't too bad either for the show they wanted to tell. I know the lack of an answer on "where'd they go" left some pretty raw, but I don't think that was their ultimate goal in the first place, it was always about those still here and what that would look like.

Watchmen, has been 2 for 2 with me. Great call backs thus far for those who were invested in the books and just enough for those who aren't to get some of the ball rolling on backstory.

Try as he might I don't think he could ever create the last couple seasons of game of thrones ****ery... This, is only good news for Star Wars fans IMO. Just the way that the two have held themselves in interviews talking about now "theme doesn't matter" and the absolute **** writing they're capable of when they can't crib off of someone else's is all the more reason that Netflix is perfect for them.
Right. Damon. Sorry about that. I hated what he did with Lost and Prometheus, so that's pretty much all I had to go by since I haven't watched the other shows you mentioned. He doesn't know how to write a tight, compelling story with a satisfying ending, IMO.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 07:27 AM   #9
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
Right. Damon. Sorry about that. I hated what he did with Lost and Prometheus, so that's pretty much all I had to go by since I haven't watched the other shows you mentioned. He doesn't know how to write a tight, compelling story with a satisfying ending, IMO.

We talking about Damon Lindeloff or Steven King?

Actually, Steven King has gotten better at that in his old age. I personally suspect it has to do with teaming up with his sons in collaborations. That sort of thing requires you to plan things out better instead of just doing stream-of-consciousness writing.

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2019, 09:30 AM   #10
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by koralis View Post
We talking about Damon Lindeloff or Steven King?

Actually, Stephen King has gotten better at that in his old age. I personally suspect it has to do with teaming up with his sons in collaborations. That sort of thing requires you to plan things out better instead of just doing stream-of-consciousness writing.
Yeah Stephen King is just as bad as Lindelof in that area. Their stories start off strong but fizzle at the end. The difference is that King writes real, compelling characters who behave like normal people. His stories just end weakly, but Lindelof's stories just end with WTF. But yeah, I agree, his sons are becoming darn good authors as well. Just finished The Fireman (Joe Hill) and Sleeping Beauties (Stephen & Owen King) and loved them.

Last edited by Munkus : Nov 3, 2019 at 07:39 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 12:43 AM   #11
ugly
Radeon R520

ugly is still being judged by the masses

I've never read a King novel, but from the movie/TV adaptations, yeah, that pretty much nails it. It starts with an interesting premise, and then in the end it's either something bizarre or a big letdown.

With Lost, the problem was that they didn't really seem to have a plan from the start. I remember watching some of the DVD commentary from season 1 and the whole show was basically designed as "wouldn't it be cool if there was a hatch, and wouldn't it be cool if there was a smoke monster, etc." They left enough breadcrumbs throughout the show that they could just pick up any thread they wanted to and make it seem like there was some overarching plan all along.

But, to be fair to all of these shows/movies, I think it really comes down to that writing a satisfying ending is really, really hard. Movies you can do it a lot easier because you basically have a short and contained story. A sprawling story with many characters and many plot threads. That becomes a lot more difficult.

What would have been a satisfying ending to Game of Thrones? If everybody lived happily ever after, it would have been too conventional. If they just pulled off a bunch of shocking twists, then it would have felt cheap (which is kind of what happened with Daenerys' storyline). If they would have gone with proper, thematic endings for all the characters, it wouldn't have felt realistic.

Granted, they did **** it up about as badly as possible by just saying, 'screw all this, I want to do Star Wars'. But the point still stands - endings are hard.
ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2019, 12:49 AM   #12
wazman
Resident Curmudgeon

wazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete stranger

Stephen King, people. Not Steven.

RIP, Hannibal. RIP, Shadow. RIP, Mitchell. RIP, Annie. RIP, Jones.
wazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2019, 07:40 AM   #13
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazman View Post
Stephen King, people. Not Steven.
Corrected.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 08:44 AM   #14
Johnmcl7
Knowledge is Power

Johnmcl7 is still being judged by the masses

We've had so many jedi focused Star Wars films that I'm not fussed about another series about the Jedi even putting aside the mess that Game of Thrones ended with. I've always wanted a more starship focused angle with Star Wars, as awful as the graphics were in the original Tie-Fighter game I used to love seeing the big capital ships engage each other delivering increasingly furious turbolaser barrages as they'd end up broadsiding each other. I liked the side storylines about fighter development and civil war and the fact it made the ISD the symbol of terror it's meant to be, in the original films they were dwarfed by the Death Stars and Executor.

I wonder how Lost would have fared in the current era of TV with much shorter ten episode series because it felt like it was a victim of a time where seasons were very long and many seasons were expected.

Speaking of Stephen King I still can't believe how big a mess they made of the Dark Tower film.

"Every person has voices in their heads, whispered doubts and ambitions, dreams and nightmares. How much reality one gives them, how much you allow yourself to be controlled...that only you can decide"
Johnmcl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2019, 08:46 AM   #15
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmcl7 View Post
We've had so many jedi focused Star Wars films that I'm not fussed about another series about the Jedi even putting aside the mess that Game of Thrones ended with. I've always wanted a more starship focused angle with Star Wars, as awful as the graphics were in the original Tie-Fighter game I used to love seeing the big capital ships engage each other delivering increasingly furious turbolaser barrages as they'd end up broadsiding each other. I liked the side storylines about fighter development and civil war and the fact it made the ISD the symbol of terror it's meant to be, in the original films they were dwarfed by the Death Stars and Executor.
I'd love a series made from the X-Wing books.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 09:29 AM   #16
Athena
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Does "Stephen" still just do the rough drafts then let his writing staff finish the book or is he back to finishing the book himself? Or was that just a whole thing just a bad rumor going around for 10, 15 years? Not that it matters when the product turns out I guess. I just always wondered but not being an uber fan never looked into back when the rumors hit the fan. (sorry for OT)

-----

I would have been happy to get some Star Wars movies by the guys that did the Clone Wars cartoons but new seasons will have to do.