Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Oct 26, 2019, 02:17 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Flat Panel Display Best of the '10's--> Sci-fi Flicks

As the end of the decade nears, we'll likely see tons of these sort of listicles.
Here is one for Sci-fi Movies from a site called "Paste".

I think these people are on crack, but there it is.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 02:23 PM   #2
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

The Martian is last on that list? Yeah, no.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2019, 04:18 PM   #3
bob saget
Stage 5 ultra-athiest

bob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
9. Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)
ahahahahahaha

EDIT: also I'd really not consider Fury Road as science fiction. I guess there's a futuristic concept there... wikipedia calls it post-apocalyptic action, where as something like ex-machina is straight up called science-fiction. whatever list is wack as f*ck.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 26, 2019, 05:17 PM   #4
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

starting from 1 and working backwards, I was almost on board until last jedi. Then they went force awakens and black panther. Rogue one is behind both star wars movies lol.

It's probably hard to do a sci-fi list because we probably haven't had a whole lot in 2010s, but the order is ****ed up. My top 15 in mostly the right order.

Her
Mad Max Fury Road
Super 8
Ex Machina
10 Cloverfield Lane
Blade Runner 2049
Gravity
The Crazies
The Thing (2011)
Midnight Special
X-Men: Days of Future Past
I Am Mother
The Cabin in the Woods
Source Code
Edge of Tomorrow

Edit: I was wrong, we've had heaps.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2019, 05:42 PM   #5
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

The new Star Wars movies being in the "best of" list means either the list is BS, or the competition is equally as terrible. I suspect the former is the case.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2019, 09:17 PM   #6
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Was Annihilation good? Unaware of this movie...
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2019, 11:46 PM   #7
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterGoa View Post
I didn't think so. Waste of good cast and SFX. YMMV. If you like horror movies you'd probably like it.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 12:28 AM   #8
traitoR
Galactic Butterfly

traitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Yes, it was quite good, not a cookie cutter sci-fi though, i've watched it a few times, it's somewhat subdued, don't expect to be blown away.

The dream of eternal life is far more compelling than living one.
traitoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2019, 01:33 AM   #9
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
I liked it... not my favorite, but interesting concept... and chilling!
Old Oct 27, 2019, 01:53 AM   #10
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

annihilation was pretty good. Has a couple of really cool scenes.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2019, 07:51 AM   #11
Higgy10

Higgy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
The new Star Wars movies being in the "best of" list means either the list is BS, or the competition is equally as terrible. I suspect the former is the case.
pretty much, last decade to me sucked for scifi imo. Im doing a rerun of babylon 5 as we speak and they just dont make em like they used to
CFX 290
Acer Predator x34 21:9
Intel x25-m 80gb ssd and 500gb SSD
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Higgy10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2019, 12:24 PM   #12
JZL
Starship Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy10 View Post
pretty much, last decade to me sucked for scifi imo. Im doing a rerun of babylon 5 as we speak and they just dont make em like they used to
I agree; on the whole the aughts were much better. At least this decade we got Inception, Ex Machina, Edge of Tomorrow, and Interstellar. (I realize opinions on Interstellar vary.) Maybe the decade wasn't so bad after all.

Some of the movies Paste listed should not be on there at all. Is Black Panther even a sci-fi movie? Wasn't Tron: Legacy a consensus sh1tball? My complete and utter disdain for Arrival is documented elsewhere, but I can at least see how people think they like it.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 03:44 PM   #13
night
Radeon Arctic Islands

night can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynight can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I feel like most people don't know wtf "SciFi" means anymore

My daughter tried to get me into The 100, but that show throws any sense of science or logic out the f'ing window.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 03:46 PM   #14
night
Radeon Arctic Islands

night can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynight can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy10 View Post
Mostly because they are so expensive. Those cheaper Canadian money shows in Vancouver allowed so much.

edit, on the other hand, The Expanse is quite good.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 04:25 PM   #15
bob saget
Stage 5 ultra-athiest

bob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZL View Post
I didn't think so. Waste of good cast and SFX. YMMV. If you like horror movies you'd probably like it.
I really liked it. A different kind of science fiction but good on them for taking some risks.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 07:31 PM   #16
JZL
Starship Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by night View Post
Mostly because they are so expensive. Those cheaper Canadian money shows in Vancouver allowed so much.
I'm glad someone else mentioned The Expanse. One of the [many] reasons I love it so much is that it has been, so far at least, good ole "hard" sci-fi with interplanetary war and intrigue, space stations, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
I really liked it. A different kind of science fiction but good on them for taking some risks.
I'll go back and have another look. As stated, I never finished it. I recall thinking it was just another sci-fi "boogey-man" movie. But then again, so were Alien and Predator and Alien v. Predator.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:11 PM   #17
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

* < The Expanse.
My computer? I've put its specs in the box to the left.
There are many people on the Rage3D forums.
They're very proud of their computers.
Bires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2019, 07:03 AM   #18
Higgy10

Higgy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by night View Post

not sure what that has to do with quality scifi, not like writers make big bucks or anything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...uced_in_Canada

altho for what its worth, canada does seem to produce superior scifi
CFX 290
Acer Predator x34 21:9
Intel x25-m 80gb ssd and 500gb SSD
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Higgy10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2019, 10:18 AM   #19
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

List order is seriously questionable, IMO. Its obviously made just to get reactions, clicks, and shares to spark discussion and we all fell for it apparently.

At least they got my two favorite movies of the decade in the top 5, Blade Runner 2049 and Fury Road.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2019, 02:15 PM   #20
Vanz_007
Not 100% a dick

Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

thanks for the list, love scifi and have not heard of some of the movies on this list but seriously GoTG #24... it's way better than many movies ranked above it...
Vanz_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2019, 04:11 PM   #21
bob saget
Stage 5 ultra-athiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZL View Post
I'm glad someone else mentioned The Expanse. One of the [many] reasons I love it so much is that it has been, so far at least, good ole "hard" sci-fi with interplanetary war and intrigue, space stations, etc.

I'll go back and have another look. As stated, I never finished it. I recall thinking it was just another sci-fi "boogey-man" movie. But then again, so were Alien and Predator and Alien v. Predator.

Yeah I think it's good enough for that. There's definitely a whole bunch of creative symbolism that I didn't pick up on at first but that seems super obvious once you see it, and for the most part I think it works. Ex Machina had a tighter overall presentation imo but this is not too far off in terms of quality sci fi imo.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 06:46 PM   #22
JZL
Starship Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
List order is seriously questionable, IMO. Its obviously made just to get reactions, clicks, and shares to spark discussion and we all fell for it apparently.
I suspected as much. There'll be plenty more before the end of the year/decade.

I will say this much-- sci-fi as a genre has skyrocketed during my lifetime. It's kindova a poverty of riches.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 05:49 PM   #23
Athena
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
The Martian is last on that list? Yeah, no.
Totally agree, should never have made the list. I can't recall another movie that made me laugh out loud in the theater at the silliness of the "future tech" old iPhones? and the hero's escape from the planet being a direct ripoff from Red Planet with Val Kilmer? Why? I couldn't stand that level of plagiarism in a big budget movie.
I could feel that it was trying really hard. It had all the right buttons dialed in social wise, but for me it just did not push them story wise.

But I know this was a really popular movie that a lot of people loved. I think for me it just rubbed me wrong. Just like many of the movies I like people are just amazed what I could possible see in the movie. To each their own, that is what is great about movies.

-=-=-=-=-

After reading that list it is a very odd list. Not sure that guy was picking that list based on movies he really likes on purpose or if he is choosing them to get a rise out of people and get hits and such. A true fan of 2049 would have also put the original Bladrunner on the list.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 06:51 PM   #24
JZL
Starship Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
A true fan of 2049 would have also put the original Bladrunner on the list.
It's only sci-fi movies of the 2010's.