Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Feb 27, 2018, 09:27 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default need recommendation on el cheapo phone

Hay gays

Looking on some info or advice on a decent quality low end, el cheapo smartphone.

Basically just going to be a travel phone and backup phone, not replacing our primary iphones.

I have a Lumia 710 and in this day and age I just cant justify using it as its almost as useful as a featurephone, and we're going to need a bit more than just featurephone style ability.

I wish my Nokia Lumia 930 worked (well it does but the screen's all sorts of not working properly) but its useless without a working screen.

So I ask the wisdom of the crowd, enlighten me with smartphone options that do not suck! Are some of the lesser brands like cheap Chinese brands that I never heard of or something like an RCA or Polaroid phone worth looking into?
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2018, 09:39 AM   #2
Silent-Runner
simply indescribable

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

depends on what you'd call "el cheapo". Market is basically flooded with low/mid-end-phones.

You could get a P8 (Huawei) for around 140 bucks or the P9 for around 230.
An S7 (Samsung) for around 230-250 bucks or a Honor 6X for 150.

Personally i'd avoid brands like Cubot or ZTE but that's just because a lot of friends had Troubles with them.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"If you must blink, do it now" Kubo

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:28 AM   #3
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I'd like to find something in the 100 dollar or less range.

Probably closer to low end than midrange.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:22 PM   #4
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
I'd like to find something in the 100 dollar or less range.

Probably closer to low end than midrange.
Keeping in line with the Lumia, maybe a 640 ($99) 640 XL ($120) or for Android Nokia 2 ($99) or Nokia 3 TA-1032 ($120)
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:42 PM   #5
Silent-Runner
simply indescribable

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

in that range it would be something like the LG K4 2017 (98 bucks), the Lenovo Moto E3 (75 bucks) or even a HTC Desire 526G (around 95 bucks) or if you're a fan of Acer, the Liquid Zest 3G (90 bucks). There are also the "outsiders", like the Blade L7 from ZTE (Chinese brand) 5" with a real HD-Display and well under 80 bucks. With brands like ZTE it's a bit of lottery, you can get a gem, but you also can have more trouble than fun with them. It's up to you to decide, of course

Old Feb 27, 2018, 01:51 PM   #6
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Anyone know if the Huawei GR5 is any good?
seems like a bang for the buck bargain for the specs. I know its an el cheapo phone and its somewhat older (seems to be refreshed as the Honor 5X currently) but compared to what I found for the same price point seems like its far better. (Its up against brands like BLU, Polaroid, RCA, SKY)

I can get it in Fido in Canada for $100 no term contract. And with the unlocked phones being mandatory rule since December last year I don't need to sign up for Fido (assuming they will allow a straight up phone purchase)

Not too concerned with the upgradeability of the OS and all the crap, its not going to be a daily driver, just a backup/travel phone.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 01:47 AM   #7
Silent-Runner
simply indescribable

never had one, nor know someone who has, but i never had any issues with Huawei. Looking at the speccs it seems to be a good phone. You can get them for around 70 bucks over here (if you can find one that is).