Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Mar 12, 2018, 09:43 AM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I've had every galaxy and note. One thing about samsung phones I don't like is what I like to call the samsung lag. Creeps in slowly overtime, then you just need to factory reset. Granted my iphones have been the same way. Just it doesnt come as quick.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:06 AM   #62
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
I've had every galaxy and note. One thing about samsung phones I don't like is what I like to call the samsung lag. Creeps in slowly overtime, then you just need to factory reset. Granted my iphones have been the same way. Just it doesnt come as quick.
Same, although I haven't really noticed it with my iPhones.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:12 AM   #63
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
The Samsung lag is on the note 8? How long do you have use the phone to see it? I've owned my note 8 since OCT and I haven't experienced the Samsung lag yet.

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:22 AM   #64
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
The Samsung lag is on the note 8? How long do you have use the phone to see it? I've owned my note 8 since OCT and I haven't experienced the Samsung lag yet.
I've had it since a few days before launch. It lags a bit. It's mostly the hickups that weren't there before kinda thing. It's holding up better than prior sammys.

Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:27 AM   #65
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
I've had it since a few days before launch. It lags a bit. It's mostly the hickups that weren't there before kinda thing. It's holding up better than prior sammys.
DId you change animation speed in developer options? That's what I did, maybe that's the reason the lag doesn't stand out as much for me.

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:12 AM   #66
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
DId you change animation speed in developer options? That's what I did, maybe that's the reason the lag doesn't stand out as much for me.
Yeah I have. I've noticed it reloads apps more often etc as well. It's just one of those samsung things I've been use to. So it's not surprising.

Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:27 AM   #67
0091/2
We Do It!

Quote:
Yeah I have. I've noticed it reloads apps more often etc as well. It's just one of those samsung things I've been use to. So it's not surprising.
App reload is one thing I noticed as well. The phone still has a lot of free ram left I don't understand why it does it. Did you try any of the leaked OREO firmware? Any idea if apps reload just as often in Oreo?

Current Desktop [2016]
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:32 AM   #68
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Subscriber

App responsiveness is one of the things I like about iOS. If you could combine that with the flexibility of Android OS, I'd be a happy camper.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:53 AM   #69
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
App responsiveness is one of the things I like about iOS. If you could combine that with the flexibility of Android OS, I'd be a happy camper.
I'm on 7.1.1 Android, and everything opens instantly for me. Essential phone
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:27 PM   #70
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I keep reading about how meh the Essential phone is many months after people use it. From camera to stability to speed. Maybe I'm reading old stuff. I just can't use a phone that doesn't have a good camera anymore, I'm too used to how good the Samsungs and Pixels of the world are.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2018, 01:39 PM   #71
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
I'm on 7.1.1 Android, and everything opens instantly for me. Essential phone
Good to hear. On my Samsung Tab A tablet and 7.1.1, the lag when opening apps is painful. Of course, it's a slow machine to begin with, so there's that. My Note 3 became a slug after 2 years, despite factory resets and clearing the app cache. Finally ditched it and went with Apple.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 01:41 PM   #72
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
I keep reading about how meh the Essential phone is many months after people use it. From camera to stability to speed. Maybe I'm reading old stuff. I just can't use a phone that doesn't have a good camera anymore, I'm too used to how good the Samsungs and Pixels of the world are.
No problems with stability or speed on mine running the Oreo 8.1 beta. Camera has been quite good as well, they've updated it several times since I bought my phone. I don't have a modern Android reference point for camera quality, but it's better than my iPhone 6s+ was.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2018, 01:46 PM   #73
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete stranger

Still waiting to hear whether the unlocked version will support Tmobile 4x4 mimo and other bits (as well as confirming band 71 support actually working, as opposed to nod from Samsung.)

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2018, 02:46 PM   #74
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Good to hear. On my Samsung Tab A tablet and 7.1.1, the lag when opening apps is painful. Of course, it's a slow machine to begin with, so there's that. My Note 3 became a slug after 2 years, despite factory resets and clearing the app cache. Finally ditched it and went with Apple.
I had several of the Notes as well. Even the 7.1 is night and day from that mess. I haven't installed Oreo yet, because /not savvy enough lol, but according to Elysian and a couple of folks I know personally it's even smoother, and more importantly, quite stable.

I just paired it with a brand new Sammy Gear Sport and that easily rivals or exceeds the apple watch in every way, so I don't see a return to apple, at all. Ever.

Edit: I may end up going with an S9 after all. I want to switch carriers. Several friends have gone with that xfinity mobile and even though they have a byop policy, they don't accept the PH1. It must be too unlocked for them

I can get $450 off the S9 if I switch. Tempting....

Last edited by Lazy8s : Mar 12, 2018 at 02:51 PM.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2018, 06:48 PM   #75
Rummy
Radeon R700

Rummy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRummy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
I had several of the Notes as well. Even the 7.1 is night and day from that mess. I haven't installed Oreo yet, because /not savvy enough lol, but according to Elysian and a couple of folks I know personally it's even smoother, and more importantly, quite stable.

I just paired it with a brand new Sammy Gear Sport and that easily rivals or exceeds the apple watch in every way, so I don't see a return to apple, at all. Ever.

Edit: I may end up going with an S9 after all. I want to switch carriers. Several friends have gone with that xfinity mobile and even though they have a byop policy, they don't accept the PH1. It must be too unlocked for them

I can get $450 off the S9 if I switch. Tempting....

My S8 is paid off so i ordered the S9+ and got 360.00 off. Should be here tomorrow.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 02:15 AM   #76
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rummy View Post
My S8 is paid off so i ordered the S9+ and got 360.00 off. Should be here tomorrow.
Nice!
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:06 PM   #77
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Nice!
8.1 is official for the Essential now.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2018, 01:04 PM   #78
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
8.1 is official for the Essential now.
Installing now - thanks
Old Mar 19, 2018, 07:46 AM   #79
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Subscriber

Well, I got the S9. Honestly, I'm bored with iOS and its lack of customizability. It's fine and all, but it's like playing an on-rails game. So far the S9 with Oreo is great.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 04:44 PM   #80
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Well, I got the S9. Honestly, I'm bored with iOS and its lack of customizability. It's fine and all, but it's like playing an on-rails game. So far the S9 with Oreo is great.
Did you get the 9 or the 9+? The temptation is killing me because of that $450 price cut I can get - that puts it into PH1 pricing territory and therefore sexy as all heck to me
Old Mar 19, 2018, 07:47 PM   #81
Rummy
Radeon R700

Rummy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRummy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I got the S9+ so far this thing is excellent. Never had a problem with Samsung before though.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 09:05 PM   #82
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Subscriber

Quote:
Did you get the 9 or the 9+? The temptation is killing me because of that $450 price cut I can get - that puts it into PH1 pricing territory and therefore sexy as all heck to me
9+

Gotta say, so far I like it a lot
Old Mar 19, 2018, 09:46 PM   #83
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Napoleonic can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyNapoleonic can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Anyone know how to wifi screen mirror s9+ to Sony Bravia TV???
Old Mar 20, 2018, 04:56 AM   #84
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
9+

Gotta say, so far I like it a lot
I think I may have to go test drive one today....
Old Mar 20, 2018, 07:42 AM   #85
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Subscriber

Quote:
I think I may have to go test drive one today....
Here are my impressions so far.

Pros:
Android has come a long way since whatever version was on the Note 3. It's much snappier and more stable.
The ability to configure/customize just about everything has always been Android's strongest suit. iOS is severely lacking in that area. It's refreshing to go back to Android after all these years.
The S9+'s screen is sweet and sexy. The curved screen is a nice touch.
It's fast, but I don't do benchmarks so I can't say if it's any faster than the iPhone 8+.
The camera is incrementally better than the iPhone. The dual aperture is nice.
The fingerprint button is perfectly placed on the back. I don't miss the front-facing home/fingerprint button at all.
The two front-firing speakers (one at the top of the screen, one at the bottom) give a nice stereo feel vs the iPhones two bottom-firing ones. The sound is clear and strong.
Samsung's Android launcher is much improved, with fewer useless bloatware apps.
Face recognition to unlock the phone is sweet. Yes, I know the iPhone X has that, but not the 8/8+.
The 8mm headphone jack! Oh how I've missed thee...

Cons
Bixby is as dumb as a box of rocks. Siri is far from perfect, but she trounces Bixby.
Out of the box, the screen is set to FHD+ (2220x1080) to save battery life. You can up it to WQHD+ (2960x1440) but it's a pretty big battery hit. Either way it's crisp and clear. I went back to FHD+ because of the battery drain.
The jury is still out on the overall battery life compared to the iPhone 8+. Neither lasts more than a few hours if you do a lot of surfing on game playing.
The earbuds that come with the S9+ are subpar. I ended up buying different ones.

Overall my impression is that the S9+ hardware isn't much faster than the iPhone 8+. If it hadn't been free, I wouldn't have crossgraded. But I'm glad I did. I missed Android.

Last edited by Munkus : Mar 20, 2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 08:22 AM   #86
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:

Pros:
Android has come a long way since whatever version was on the Note 3. It's much snappier and more stable.
The ability to configure/customize just about everything has always been Android's strongest suit. iOS is severely lacking in that area. It's refreshing to go back to Android after all these years.
It's fast, but I don't do benchmarks so I can't say if it's any faster than the iPhone 8+.
The fingerprint button is perfectly placed on the back. I don't miss the front-facing home/fingerprint button at all.
The two front-firing speakers (one at the top of the screen, one at the bottom) give a nice stereo feel vs the iPhones two bottom-firing ones. The sound is clear and strong.
Face recognition to unlock the phone is sweet. Yes, I know the iPhone X has that, but not the 8/8+.

Cons
Bixby is as dumb as a box of rocks. Siri is far from perfect, but she trounces Bixby.
Out of the box, the screen is set to FHD+ (2220x1080) to save battery life. You can up it to WQHD+ (2960x1440) but it's a pretty big battery hit. Either way it's crisp and clear. I went back to FHD+ because of the battery drain.
The jury is still out on the overall battery life compared to the iPhone 8+. Neither lasts more than a few hours if you do a lot of surfing on game playing.
The earbuds that come with the S9+ are subpar. I ended up buying different ones.

Overall my impression is that the S9+ hardware isn't much faster than the iPhone 8+. If it hadn't been free, I wouldn't have crossgraded. But I'm glad I did. I missed Android.
Thanks for the feedback! Android has come leaps and bounds for sure. I don't think I could go back to Apple after having Oreo on my PH1.

I'd use google instead of Bixby, mainly because I've heard all about lol, but I'll post if I up/side grade myself. It just looks too sweet not to, and I'm weak
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:17 PM   #87
0091/2
We Do It!

Quote:

Pros:

Cons

Bixby isn't dumb, it excels at doing tasks related to your phone. Use Bixby to control your phone. The best thing about Bixby is you can make voice command macros. Say for example "good night" you can make Bixby turn on do not disturb, set rotation to portrait, turn on blue light filter, switch to the internet app and say "manches" at end of the macro.

Bixby understands context for Samsung and Google Apps. You tell it to search for an app in the play store and install it; it'll do just that.

Bixby isn't good for things requiring internet search. if You ask bixby to convert currency for an example, it'll open calculator and choose a category or pull up a search for the currency. Use google assistant for all things internet.

Current Desktop [2016]
Old Mar 20, 2018, 01:46 PM   #88
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Bixby isn't dumb, it excels at doing tasks related to your phone. Use Bixby to control your phone. The best thing about Bixby is you can make voice command macros. Say for example "good night" you can make Bixby turn on do not disturb, set rotation to portrait, turn on blue light filter, switch to the internet app and say "manches" at end of the macro.

Bixby understands context for Samsung and Google Apps. You tell it to search for an app in the play store and install it; it'll do just that.

Bixby isn't good for things requiring internet search. if You ask bixby to convert currency for an example, it'll open calculator and choose a category or pull up a search for the currency. Use google assistant for all things internet.
That's good info. All I've seen are complaints so far about Bixby, but I've never heard anyone cover these functions. Thanks for filling in some blanks.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 02:15 PM   #89
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Subscriber

Quote:

That's pretty cool. Apparently I have a lot to learn about this phone.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 02:23 PM   #90
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
That's pretty cool. Apparently I have a lot to learn about this phone.
I need to get my grubby paws on one