Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Feb 14, 2018, 02:24 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
chigger_ns
Do the Xmas Cart-moon

chigger_ns can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultychigger_ns can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default IPhone 7 Maybe

Looking at getting an IPhone 7.
Yes I said an IPhone 7.
Here is why.
I currently have a LG G4. Loved this phone.
I have had a few problems with it though like they hate moisture of any kind. I had to have one replaced because there was corrosion on the main board and back of the screen and it would not boot only after 6 months of owning it. No I did not drop it in water but my pants got wet (soaked) one day at work and I think this is where the moisture came from. It was in an Otter box.
Now the batteries (I have 2) will some times not charge constantly in the phone (like every other day) and stay at 100%. I'll plug my phone in at night and the next day 12 hours later it will show 87% or something silly and says its charging. if I unplug the phone and plug it back in it will charge to 100%.
These are the factors on why I want a new phone.

Here is why I want an IPhone.
At home I have very poor cell service. My family and friends mostly have Apple devices and phones. I miss a lot of text messages because of the poor cell service. Imessage gets rid of this problem for me.
For some reason IPhones seem to get better reception in my bad reception area.
I have had little problems with IPhones in the past. In fact I liked them a lot.
Am I crazy?

Can I get some input on The IPhone 7 and user experience. I know its a typical IPhone put are there any problems with them that stand out?
And I dont want to pay for an IPhone 8
Or do I look into a LG G6?

Last edited by chigger_ns : Feb 14, 2018 at 02:53 PM.
chigger_ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2018, 05:08 PM   #2
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird sings

i have no opinion on the g6 but if you have contacts in US, apple is selling certified refurbished iphone 7 for a pretty decent price.

my sister bought a 6s plus refurbished from apple directly and it's been going strong for a year now. she hasn't complained about anything. it was the sim free version (unlocked to work with all carriers). it looked brand new when she got it.
might want to check on the band compatibility with your provider but i believe these things cover all bands including cdma. https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/ho...phone/iphone_7
Old Feb 14, 2018, 09:50 PM   #3
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I wouldn't, but I just went from Apple back to Android so I might be jaded.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:48 PM   #4
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I wouldn't, but I just went from Apple back to Android so I might be jaded.
I just went from a 7+ to a note 8

mostly because apple maps and carplay suck
transferring 95gb of apple lossless rips to flac was fun
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2018, 03:24 PM   #5
chigger_ns
Do the Xmas Cart-moon

chigger_ns can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultychigger_ns can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I think im going to wait untll there are some deals on. Right now there is garbage
Old Feb 16, 2018, 03:56 PM   #6
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I think the user experience on iPhone is pretty much the same across the entire lineup.

Save for the larger screens allowing more visual content.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2018, 07:38 PM   #7
chigger_ns
Do the Xmas Cart-moon

Lg G4 messed up. So I went and got an iPhone 8 plus.
Main thing is iMessage. Works great for me.
Old May 2, 2018, 04:28 PM   #8
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

How are you liking it thus far? Loving my G4 still, but it is honestly a ticking time bomb and LG has abandoned it, Canadian versions are locked so I can't move over to LineageOS or anything.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018, 01:43 PM   #9
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
How are you liking it thus far? Loving my G4 still, but it is honestly a ticking time bomb and LG has abandoned it, Canadian versions are locked so I can't move over to LineageOS or anything.
cant you just go to the carrier you got the phone from and get it unlocked for free now?

Since December 2017 all mobile phones in Canada had to be unlocked. As far as i know any locked ones which were acquired prior to the changeover date could be unlocked for free now.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2018, 12:01 PM   #10
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
cant you just go to the carrier you got the phone from and get it unlocked for free now?

Since December 2017 all mobile phones in Canada had to be unlocked. As far as i know any locked ones which were acquired prior to the changeover date could be unlocked for free now.
Unlocked from carrier yes. But the bootloader is still locked.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 06:39 AM   #11
chigger_ns
Do the Xmas Cart-moon

I do miss some things from android and the LG apps but in the end the iPhone does what I need it to do.

The big thing that happened with my g4 was the way it charged messed up and It killed 2 batteries. They would only lasts 4 hours or so when they originally lasted twice a s long
It would charge until I got a message pop up. then it would stop charging for some weird reason.
I was going to buy some new batteries but I noticed when I would reboot my phone it would act like the OS was starting for the first time.
Honestly if the charging and battery issues didn't happen I would still use it.
But how much money do you want to put into an aging phone?
I loved my G4.