Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 26, 2017, 04:44 PM   #181
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Kain
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

The iPhone X has an "L" shaped battery.
Intel Core i7-3930K | Corsair Hydro Series H100 with 2 x Scythe GentleTyphoon 1850 rpm fans | GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD | Crucial m4 256 GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | Pioneer BDR-206DBK | Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 | Corsair Obsidian Series 650D | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S | Microsoft SideWinder X4 | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | SteelSeries QcK mini | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2017, 05:35 PM   #182
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

My 6+ started acting up recently. I have a case open with Apple, but I have a feeling the only fix might be an 8+

If they were to offer me a 7+ for cheap money I'll take it, but I haven't decided whether to be frugal and grab a cheap 7 or spring for the 8 and hope it lasts longer than the 6 has. I wanted to keep this for 4-5 years. Only 2.5 is not good.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 05:54 PM   #183
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
My 6+ started acting up recently. I have a case open with Apple, but I have a feeling the only fix might be an 8+

If they were to offer me a 7+ for cheap money I'll take it, but I haven't decided whether to be frugal and grab a cheap 7 or spring for the 8 and hope it lasts longer than the 6 has. I wanted to keep this for 4-5 years. Only 2.5 is not good.
what problems are you having?
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 27, 2017, 05:58 PM   #184
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne3d View Post
what problems are you having?
The phone was super fast after installing ios 11, but every day more and more apps are slowing and freezing. Apple support said it's a known issue and the .1 update released yesterday should fix most or all issues, but it didn't on mine.

I know the internal gyro is breaking in mine though. That started about 2 months ago - stuff auto rotates and will not switch back etc...

Support is going to call me back after debugging the analytics report I sent today, so I'll update here if it's a software issue for sure.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 09:00 AM   #185
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Two more hours until my support call back, but...

https://gizmodo.com/one-week-with-th...e-8-1818736319

My resolve to wait it out is crumbling. If Gizmodo's review is anything near reliable 6+>8+ would be a really sweet upgrade.

I might go park at an Apple store to wait for that call.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 09:56 AM   #186
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Subscriber

So far so good with my iPhone 8+. The pictures of our lake trip came out beautiful. Subjectively better than my 7+. Other than the camera improvements I don’t think it’s worth upgrading from a 7+ in general. Unless you’ve been jonesing for wireless charging...which I haven’t. Should’ve been called the 7s+ honestly. It’s an small incremental upgrade. Then again I don’t do much that would stress the A11 cpu.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2017, 09:59 AM   #187
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Two more hours until my support call back, but...

https://gizmodo.com/one-week-with-th...e-8-1818736319

My resolve to wait it out is crumbling. If Gizmodo's review is anything near reliable 6+>8+ would be a really sweet upgrade.

I might go park at an Apple store to wait for that call.
Wait for the X. I cannot stress how much the 7 and 8 feel like phones from years ago when you use them. Sure they are snappy but the look and feel is so dated.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:10 AM   #188
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
So far so good with my iPhone 8+. The pictures of our lake trip came out beautiful. Subjectively better than my 7+. Other than the camera improvements I don’t think it’s worth upgrading from a 7+ in general. Unless you’ve been jonesing for wireless charging...which I haven’t. Should’ve been called the 7s+ honestly. It’s an small incremental upgrade. Then again I don’t do much that would stress the A11 cpu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
Wait for the X. I cannot stress how much the 7 and 8 feel like phones from years ago when you use them. Sure they are snappy but the look and feel is so dated.
That's literally the only downside to the 8 that I've been able to come up with. A part of me is hoping my 6+ will last until the X is out, and another part is hoping it dies tonight so I can justify a snappy new 8.

I hate being torn on a purchase like this lol. It's win either way as far as comparison's to the 6 go, but that X is one pretty phone with an awesome screen. The notch doesn't even bother me...
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:13 AM   #189
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Subscriber

Quote:
That's literally the only downside to the 8 that I've been able to come up with. A part of me is hoping my 6+ will last until the X is out, and another part is hoping it dies tonight so I can justify a snappy new 8.

I hate being torn on a purchase like this lol. It's win either way as far as comparison's to the 6 go, but that X is one pretty phone with an awesome screen. The notch doesn't even bother me...
I don't really mind the "dated" design. The main thing I care about is "does it work reliably and get good battery life". The answer for the 7+ was Yes. The answer for the 8+ is Yes. I wouldn't have bought the 8+ if my Verizon plan didn't let me trade in my 7+ and just continue making the same payments on the 8+. No money out of pocket besides a small upgrade fee.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:18 AM   #190
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
I don't really mind the "dated" design. The main thing I care about is "does it work reliably and get good battery life". The answer for the 7+ was Yes. The answer for the 8+ is Yes. I wouldn't have bought the 8+ if my Verizon plan didn't let me trade in my 7+ and just continue making the same payments on the 8+. No money out of pocket besides a small upgrade fee.
That's basically where I'm at. Even if I trade it in the value will only be $175 or so. If it's dead then nada. The only upside is that I can get by with 64GB instead of the 256GB, so I would pay around $200 less for the 8+ than I did the 6+ - I think it came to $759 without applecare and taxes....

The 7+ is only marginally cheaper, so while I'm not really wanting to spend the cash right now, if I have to I'd rather pay a bit more and have the 8+...
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:51 AM   #191
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
So I get pretty much every samsung, lg phone that comes out. I buy the iphones myself. Yes the iphone just works and that's probably it's strongest argument. However, if you step out of that iphone world you will realize these days there are android phones that just work as well. Once you leave the bubble it's very hard to look back and knowing your missing out on newer designs.

Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:54 AM   #192
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Subscriber

Quote:
So I get pretty much every samsung, lg phone that comes out. I buy the iphones myself. Yes the iphone just works and that's probably it's strongest argument. However, if you step out of that iphone world you will realize these days there are android phones that just work as well. Once you leave the bubble it's very hard to look back and knowing your missing out on newer designs.
Probably very true. My last Android phone was the Samsung Note 3. It eventually slowed to a crawl after a year of use and 2 OS upgrades. No amount of resetting/rebooting would help. Plus the Samsung bloatware was rubbish.

If I do ever go back to Android, I'm going to get one of the "pure" variants and not Samsung.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:58 AM   #193
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Probably very true. My last Android phone was the Samsung Note 3. It eventually slowed to a crawl after a year of use and 2 OS upgrades. No amount of resetting/rebooting would help. Plus the Samsung bloatware was rubbish.

If I do ever go back to Android, I'm going to get one of the "pure" variants and not Samsung.
Touchwiz has COME A LONG WAY since the note 3 days. I would say the latest touchwiz of android has faired well. Something I couldn't even say for the s6.

Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:13 AM   #194
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Touchwiz has COME A LONG WAY since the note 3 days. I would say the latest touchwiz of android has faired well. Something I couldn't even say for the s6.
True - my youngest is the sole Android user in the family, but she has none of the problems on the S7 that she had on the S6. And the 6 wasn't nearly as bad for her as my notes 2/3 were for me.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:33 AM   #195
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Subscriber

Good to know.

What it boils down to is I'm a creature of habit. Until Apple does something to seriously piss me off, I'll probably stick with them.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:43 AM   #196
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Good to know.

What it boils down to is I'm a creature of habit. Until Apple does something to seriously piss me off, I'll probably stick with them.
Same here, but there's also the fact that I simply my apple watch v2 and don't want to part with it.

And 2 ipads

And 2 more iphones.....and a macbook pro

and an ipod

I am such a fan boy
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:53 PM   #197
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

I have the whole apple eco system as well. However, I got everything on the android camp as well. I was purely apple for the past year due to the note 7 blow up. Having returned with the note 8 so far it's been lovely. I will be getting the X and I have the 8 plus it was a no cost upgrade on my end.

Old Sep 28, 2017, 03:25 PM   #198
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

That's a lot of phones. Do you switch phones daily?

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w

Last edited by 0091/2 : Sep 28, 2017 at 03:30 PM.
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2017, 03:47 PM   #199
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Same here, but there's also the fact that I simply my apple watch v2 and don't want to part with it.

And 2 ipads

And 2 more iphones.....and a macbook pro

and an ipod

I am such a fan boy
support ever get back to you ?

my 7+ seem slower but it all maybe on purpose
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2017, 04:12 PM   #200
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
support ever get back to you ?

my 7+ seem slower but it all maybe on purpose
Ah forgot to update - no response on the bug report yet, so she's calling me back tomorrow at 1300.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:24 PM   #201
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quick update - the issues seem to be tied to the display settings in accessibility.

cycling the autobrighteness was one.

I had the screen magnifier (awesome for quick snapshots of tiny mac addresses and s/ns) enabled. Disabling that helped a lot.

Apple is calling the phone fixed and I'm agreeing - nice and snappy again.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:39 PM   #202
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Auto brightness turned itself back on when I updated to iOS 11. I hate auto brightness. Not only that, like you said, they moved it from the display properties to accessibility. I dont think it belongs there.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:50 PM   #203
Lazy8s
One day at a time

I was surprised to see it there tbh. I just asked her a few minutes ago if all the bugs regarding lagging were tied to the display settings and she thinks so, but said to not quote her on it. That just seems where it's going for now.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:49 PM   #204
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
That's a lot of phones. Do you switch phones daily?
I carry 2 phones. One is a foreign number. I usually carry an iphone and android was 2 iphones for a while. The dual sim route doesn't work out all the time for me.

Old Oct 2, 2017, 09:27 AM   #205
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

It's pretty clear Samsung has Apple by the balls for those OLED displays.

Samsung is most likely overcharging Apple on purpose.

My life is dope and I do dope sht.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:22 AM   #206
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
It's pretty clear Samsung has Apple by the balls for those OLED displays.

Samsung is most likely overcharging Apple on purpose.
Yeah, they probably got at least another generation or 2 of iPhone to have apple by the balls. By 2020 LG should be up and running to where they can compete with Samsung and Apple can pressure either of them to giving them lower prices.

Old Oct 10, 2017, 01:43 PM   #207
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 once held a door open for a complete strangerA2597 once held a door open for a complete strangerA2597 once held a door open for a complete strangerA2597 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Wife just updated to the 8+, from a 6s.
Camera is certainly better, screen is better too. Speed is nice and fast, but really...everything is marginal improvements. Haven't messed with water resistance yet, or used wireless charging. (which are the big differences, aside from dual camera)

Overall, nice improvements, but also really making me see how close to peak smartphone we have gotten. (Her mom was still on an old iphone 5, not 5s or c, just plain old 5.... she's getting a really nice update to the old 6s. )

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2017, 08:31 PM   #208
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

oops

Quote:
Apple iPhone 8 Undergoes Battery Malfunction; Starts Hissing Smoke, Cracking Sounds With Back Completely Destroyed

http://wccftech.com/apple-iphone-8-e...lutely-ruined/

http://bgr.com/2017/10/12/iphone-8-b...problem-in-us/

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/6/1...-investigating

bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2017, 08:00 AM   #209
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Just went from a Oneplus One to a iPhone 8 Plus. It's my first iPhone ever.

Sometimes when I unlock the phone the screen seems to run at a cinematic 24Hz, lock and unlock fixes it (iOS 11.0.3). Battery seems excellent. Display is pretty. Webbrowsing is literally 100x faster than chrome+my oneplus.

Feels big, fat and heavy compared to my oneplus. Some UI things I dont like (the homescreens, notifications get very spammy etc).
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2017, 09:25 AM   #210
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Nissan View Post
Just went from a Oneplus One to a iPhone 8 Plus. It's my first iPhone ever.

Sometimes when I unlock the phone the screen seems to run at a cinematic 24Hz, lock and unlock fixes it (iOS 11.0.3). Battery seems excellent. Display is pretty. Webbrowsing is literally 100x faster than chrome+my oneplus.

Feels big, fat and heavy compared to my oneplus. Some UI things I dont like (the homescreens, notifications get very spammy etc).
About a week in how are you feeling after moving to Apple from other phones?

Also Pre-orders for the X are coming up friday morning. Hopefully I can remember to get online as soon as they go up the snag one. Reports are saying there arent many to go around so I may not be able to get one like usual.