Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Feb 8, 2018, 04:44 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Mark3264
Radeon R300

Mark3264 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyMark3264 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyMark3264 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default Need tablet reccomendation

Had a Galaxy Note 2014 but it seems to have finally taken a crap. Even with a master reset and for whatever reason I'm having a hell of a time trying to install a different ROM (was trying LineageOS).

Any recommendations? Android or Windows is fine. Anything but apple. Cheap-ish, maybe $500 or less. And a bout a 10 inch () screen. Mostly used for Web browsing, and the kindle app. A co-worker friend had a surface pro 2 (i think). I liked it cause the web performance was very fast unlike most android devices I've tried.
Mark3264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2018, 01:35 AM   #2
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Considered the Amazon Fire HD 10?

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gb -
3TiB Seagate Expansion (USB 3.0 external) - PowerColor Radeon R7 260x TurboDuo - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2018, 01:47 AM   #3
Silent-Runner
simply indescribable

Silent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSilent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSilent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSilent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSilent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSilent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSilent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSilent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSilent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSilent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSilent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Another vote for the Fire HD 10. It's a very nice device.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"If you must blink, do it now" Kubo

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 9, 2018, 03:57 PM   #4
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I've been very pleased with my Asus ZenPad 3s. It's been a huge upgrade over the Nexus 9 I was using before in every way.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2018, 01:23 PM   #5
Mark3264
Radeon R300

Mark3264 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyMark3264 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyMark3264 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

whats the web performance like on any of these?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 03:00 PM   #6
Silent-Runner
simply indescribable

Silent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSilent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSilent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSilent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSilent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSilent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSilent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSilent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSilent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSilent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSilent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

browsing n stuff? Good enough for a tablet, i'd say. It's a dual band. I really like the display. Only downside so far (for me) is that they still use Fire OS instead of Android which can and will cause some unnecessary problems. That aside it's a great device, especially for that price

Old Feb 12, 2018, 01:17 AM   #7
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

I have the Amazon Fire HD 8 and it runs webstuff just fine. Handles Rage3D's gif thread without any issue if that means anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
browsing n stuff? Good enough for a tablet, i'd say. It's a dual band. I really like the display. Only downside so far (for me) is that they still use Fire OS instead of Android which can and will cause some unnecessary problems. That aside it's a great device, especially for that price
FireOS is an Android OS. It's just Amazon's variant. Hell, follow some easy instructions for installing some google APK files and now I have access to the entire official Google Playstore like any other Android tablet.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gb -
3TiB Seagate Expansion (USB 3.0 external) - PowerColor Radeon R7 260x TurboDuo - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Old Feb 12, 2018, 02:24 AM   #8
Silent-Runner
simply indescribable

i know that it's a variant, it's still buggy when it comes to things like the Google Play Store. Of course there are a lot of workarounds on the net which can help more or less.

Old Feb 12, 2018, 04:06 PM   #9
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird sings

i know you said no apple, but the ipad is going for 279 right now. and the form factor is good for reading things.

but that's just me.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 04:58 PM   #10
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

I bought a refurb Surface Pro 1 for about $200 a couple months ago to use for my car diagnostics. It's still fantastic for web browsing, smooth, fast, and plugins/adblocking actually work. You would have to buy a newly supported android or ios tablet if you want to have patches for blueborne or Krack, whereas long term security patches on Windows at least has some longevity to it.

Not to mention your pen from the Galaxy Note will work just fine on it
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2018, 04:43 PM   #11
OverclockN'

OverclockN' once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'OverclockN' once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'OverclockN' once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'OverclockN' once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'OverclockN' once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'OverclockN' once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDemon View Post
I bought a refurb Surface Pro 1 for about $200 a couple months ago to use for my car diagnostics. It's still fantastic for web browsing, smooth, fast, and plugins/adblocking actually work. You would have to buy a newly supported android or ios tablet if you want to have patches for blueborne or Krack, whereas long term security patches on Windows at least has some longevity to it.

Not to mention your pen from the Galaxy Note will work just fine on it
I still have my Surface Pro 1 from when I bought in new a while back when they first came out. Still kicking, still fast as hell, and does whatever I want minus gaming. I haven't used it for car diagnostics yet, but I do use it for diagnostics on my 2015 Daytona.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 07:38 PM   #12
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
i know that it's a variant, it's still buggy when it comes to things like the Google Play Store. Of course there are a lot of workarounds on the net which can help more or less.
True enough. It did take me awhile longer to get all the google services running correctly.

If you can find a cheap Surface Pro 1, that would be a pretty sweet option.

System:
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:58 PM   #13
Mark3264
Radeon R300

i think my co-worker got his surface pro 2 as a refurb for 250. he told me about it but i didnt get it. kicking myself now. after 2 or 3 master resets, my galaxy note is behaving again at least. i think im gonna wait for a good deal on a surface pro refurb now. i really do like that fast web response. any of the lenovo/HP/dell/asus windows machines any good? maybe one of those convertible windows laptops?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:48 AM   #14
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

the sad thing is google basically gave up on tablets after the pixel c. They have focused their efforts on chromebooks.

your best bet in the current market and not pay > 500 is either an ipad or an amazon hd tablet. I wish google would make a push back into the market but really apple and amazon own the market

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2018, 09:03 AM   #15
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalfthewhite View Post
the sad thing is google basically gave up on tablets after the pixel c. They have focused their efforts on chromebooks.

your best bet in the current market and not pay > 500 is either an ipad or an amazon hd tablet. I wish google would make a push back into the market but really apple and amazon own the market
I may be crazy, but I've found there's nothing I'd rather do on a tablet than a laptop style device, whether it's a Chromebook or a full on 17" laptop. My wife has a Surface Pro 3 now, but she always has the keyboard on it, uses it like a laptop, never uses it like a tablet. I have two Samsung tablets that I never use. If I need something mobile, I'd just rather use my smartphone.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2018, 01:11 AM   #16
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue once held a door open for a complete strangerASCI Blue once held a door open for a complete strangerASCI Blue once held a door open for a complete strangerASCI Blue once held a door open for a complete stranger

I'm in the same boat as Elysian's wife. I had a Nokia tablet, which was cool. Ran an iPad for a while, and in the end grabbed a 14" Dell lappy with touch screen that folds flat like a tablet.

The Nokia running Win 8 RT worked decently well because most of the software on it was free, since I used it 95% for school having Word be portable in a small package was nice. This was a gift, it died fairly quickly and seems it was a somewhat known issue with Nokia. I reimbursed the gifter.

The iPad I didn't have access to the file system because iOS. The keyboard I bought for it was mediocre and I turned it into mostly a Minecraft/Netflix/YouTube device for my kiddo and I. This is still going strong today, I also have used it for RPG books with moderate success.

The lappy I also used for school and will again if I get into my grad program. Currently I use it in tablet mode for RP books and car diagnostic stuff. If anyone were to give me $450 and said buy me a thing, I'd probably go with a convertible laptop over a straight tablet even though the tablet is more portable. The laptop generally has more oomph at it's price point and is upgradable which I don't think Microsoft tablets are (I could be wrong, please correct if I am).

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote