Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Feedback Central
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Feedback Central This is a place to post problems, suggestions, comments, or help regarding the forums or site. This is not a place to air your mod-related grievances as first-resort.

Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:00 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

Default Bring back the rep system!

Okay the rep system was over inflated by me n' caveman (drive by reps remember?)

The good thing about the rep system was that it was a neat way to tell a person what you thought of their post... and a good way for others to criticize certain things without really hurting anyone's feelings.

What we can do to the rep system for making it fair is:

Everyone gets the ability to rep +1 or -1 nobody gets special consideration. Moderators get to give +5 rep maybe... if the post is really positive.

Rep is unlimited... hence it doesn't really matter what kind of rep you have. It'll just be an arbitrary number and if a person gets extremely high rep (since everyone can only +1 or -1) then there should be something cool to show.

Your rep starts at 5.

Rep cannot go below zero. If your rep hits zero you can no longer rep other people. However, in 15-30 days... your rep will regenerate to 5 (if that is even possible to program)
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:21 PM   #2
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

don't blame me, it wasn't my fault

oh wai
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:35 PM   #3
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

few weeks ago, I would have agreed that rep system should come back.

but I saw it in use in few other forums as well. and it looks like when there is negative rep, it just doesn't work well.

since the rep system is gone, I realized a lot of people don't worry about getting negative rep and saying what they want to say without any edits/changes.

so I think I like the forums better without the rep system, even though I kind of miss it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H001iGAN View Post
no matter how you look at it, it's still better on PC
nomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:44 PM   #4
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I hung out on the ubuntu forums a little this week, they have a nice way of implementing rep. You can give 'thanks' to specific posts, and it shows how many people thanked them, in how many posts, on the users. That way its all positive, and encourages helpful people to help more.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 12:09 AM   #5
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

I liked reading rep comments a lot, most of the ones I got were funny.

but I would not mind automatic rep comments as well like 'thank you' or 'you suck'
Quote:
Originally Posted by H001iGAN View Post
no matter how you look at it, it's still better on PC
nomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 01:03 AM   #6
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
I hung out on the ubuntu forums a little this week, they have a nice way of implementing rep. You can give 'thanks' to specific posts, and it shows how many people thanked them, in how many posts, on the users. That way its all positive, and encourages helpful people to help more.
I think this is waaaaayyyyyyyyyy better than the original reputation system. I frequent another forum that has this feature.

Learn to embed videos in your posts, highlight text, and even post code!
sittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 06:04 AM   #7
monkeydust
Radeon Arctic Islands

monkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittal View Post
I frequent another forum
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX case
Dell 2408WFP 24" Widescreen LCD
Windows 8.1 64-bit
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 04:19 PM   #8
Pirate Neilsouth
The undead have returned!

Pirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Believe me i've put that across its a NO because the forum software is crap i mean errrr old
Old Dec 23, 2008, 05:29 PM   #9
klutzon
Found his way home

klutzon is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Neilsouth View Post
Believe me i've put that across its a NO because the forum software is crap i mean errrr old
The original vBulletin system comes with the reputation system, but I believe installing a "Thank You" button template wouldn't be hard to do...

Klutz is enjoying his "Forever" membership at Galbadia Hotel... THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR CLICKS GUYS!!! :)
Galbadia Hotel: a place for game soundtrack lovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Swordmaster View Post
This is true. 'sides, Klutzon could quintuple post something and I'd still prefer his.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDHA
Yes, I'm a stubborn moron at times, but it keeps me occupied ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honsy
Just tell her to open her mouth and close her eyes ... then throw her down and stick it in her pooper ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimacy
Welcome to the world of current events. Feel free to grab a brochure and get back to us when you've caught up with the latest news.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieBloke
It's okay Vazel. We all know about your "punctuation" issues and how much you like ";" as opposed to ":"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzian View Post
Ugh, I hate that.. I honestly get so paranoid it's not even funny. One time, I ran out of eyedrops (dear god) and forgot. I went to the nearest shoppers, red-eyed as hell, holding only a box of clear-eyes in a huge line up, never.. ever.. again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaperJe|\|i3 View Post
Yeah, it seems like any game that doesn't measure up to some arbitrary standard or feeling we expect to have gets labeled consolized! What?!? Blurry textures! Consolitus! You can't save every 4 seconds? Consolitus! It doesn't have 12 million buttons that are bindable to controls! Consolitus! I can't use 16XAA with 166XAF consolitus! I got laid last nite because I wasn't playing PC games. Consolitus! No wait....
| My Games Collection (last updated Oct 07)
klutzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 09:09 PM   #10
efin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

efin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badges

efin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 08:04 AM   #11
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

no moar rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 09:16 AM   #12
monkeydust
Radeon Arctic Islands

monkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete stranger

Just add the option to opt out of using rep for the whiners.
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX case
Dell 2408WFP 24" Widescreen LCD
Windows 8.1 64-bit
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2008, 09:35 AM   #13
yoz
The Garbage Man

yoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Gettin rid of the rep was a big mistake. Stupid whiners ruining it for everyone.
  • Play the classics
  • Vista/XP Compatible
yoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2008, 01:16 PM   #14
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoz View Post
Gettin rid of the rep was a big mistake. Stupid whiners ruining it for everyone.
What exactly did the old rep system offer?
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2008, 01:54 PM   #15
YellowBeard
Radeon Arctic Islands

YellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Not much.

If they bring it back they need to leave off showing a users rep as most of it was inflated by the "free rep" threads in OT and kind of undermined what the entire system was about. Rep should be used as more of a personal check. That way you can find out if people liked your post or not. Leave the backend, but take out the checks by users names. It'll satisfy the want for people to leave "good post" comments and also make the neg rep bs that was abused be meaningless.

Just my two cents.
the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!”

YellowBeard says, "Fold ya scurvy b*st*rds!"
YellowBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2008, 02:51 PM   #16
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
It offered a free way to say hey good job, or a relatively consequence free way of insulting dip**** people with retarded posting habits.

This is the only two "positive" things that the rep system accomplished here at Rage. Which in the end, just pissed off the whiny bitches, and made the stupid people angry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2008, 03:01 PM   #17
Uber_Tiny
WTF DID I STEP IN

Uber_Tiny is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutzon View Post
The original vBulletin system comes with the reputation system, but I believe installing a "Thank You" button template wouldn't be hard to do...
Thank you efin for finding that.

It looks to be a much better rep system than the one that comes with VB. You can set it to use just certain usergroups, certain forums, and just the first post in certain forums or all forums. I like it and I am going to use it.

To clarify something here, this rep system is much better in the fact that you can't abuse it. There are no negative comments made to start a fight. It's a great way to show appreciation and not negativity.

Last edited by Uber_Tiny : Dec 25, 2008 at 04:24 PM.
Uber_Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2008, 03:53 PM   #18
Uber_Tiny
WTF DID I STEP IN

Uber_Tiny is still being judged by the masses

Whoa...

Never mind about this hack. It is riddled with issues. Backing up your DB after installing will cause errors and many other issues are known to be in this hack.

*uninstalling and removing DB code*
Uber_Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2008, 04:08 PM   #19
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Looks like a good alternative. Will look into it and other options further.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 04:20 PM   #20
yoz
The Garbage Man

yoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete stranger

It's a good alternative.

I still rather see rep system back.
  • Play the classics
  • Vista/XP Compatible
yoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2008, 04:26 PM   #21
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

I don't like the options available w/ the current rep system, so don't see it returning in its current form. Sorry, but it simply doesn't hit the cost/benefit ratio - not so much from a moderating standpoint, that's easy, but from how it encourages behaviors destructive in the forum setting. Finding an alternative that provides the benefits while lessening the costs would be the preferred course of action.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 05:35 PM   #22
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoz View Post
It's a good alternative.

I still rather see rep system back.
Per post rep is where it's at. If not showing who finds it helpful at least give it a 1 thru 5 star rating.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2008, 08:45 PM   #23
Soong
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Soong is still being judged by the masses

Lightbulb

Quote:
I like the idea of a "thank you" button (Maybe with the option to see who clicked the thank you). No comments attached (anonymous or otherwise )! Just a "thank you" or nothing. If someone doesn't like a post or disagrees with it then they can post about it and be subject to all the normal flame/trolling rules.
Soong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2008, 09:04 PM   #24
erek
Banned

erek is still being judged by the masses

the rep system allowed me to determine how to trust caveman-jim when i offered to trade my Radeon HD 3870 for his Radeon HD 2900 XT [which worked out quite well, i must say]
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2008, 09:54 PM   #25
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

oh, the irony
Old Dec 26, 2008, 08:09 AM   #26
GravY
Rage3D Spammer

GravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Bring it Back!!
"Yes, but God has the right to get away with anything. Shoot animals, make ugly women, allow the existence of religious nuts, and watch liederhosen-wearing midget poodle-licking pornography. God's a sick bastard." - OzzieBloke

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)
GravY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 04:19 PM   #27
Bob Bobbles
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Bob Bobbles is still being judged by the masses

no rep.
2001 is the stupidest movie ever and the only purpose of that movie is to lie to people that there is no God. That movie is not worth watching it. The movie is just another deception...so trust me if you didn't watch don't do it, you wont miss anything.
Bob Bobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2008, 11:46 PM   #28
phial
no things

phial is still being judged by the masses

yes rep.