Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Apr 18, 2019, 02:33 PM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
But they wont do this. They will tout "8K resolution for best graphics ever!!" as a marketing ploy.
And it will launch rockets! Sony marketing will emphasize that the console is banned in North Korea, for all of our safety.

Seriously though, I remember the original PS3 features: 7 hdmi ports, & will play 15 hd streams simultaneously while also simulating a bathtub full of rubber ducks.

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2019, 03:40 PM   #62
Athena
Radeon Sea Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

PlayStation 5: First details point to 8K graphics, faster performance, no release in 2019
USA TODAY Eli Blumenthal,USA TODAY Wed, Apr 17 6:00 AM PDT

Game enthusiasts and industry personnel visit Sony

Some of the first official details on Sony's highly anticipated next-generation PlayStation are finally coming out.

In a new interview with Wired, Mark Cerny, a lead system architect in Sony's PlayStation group, discussed the upcoming system. Among the highlights: The new console will support higher resolution 8K displays, load games faster thanks to a switch from mechanical hard drives to faster solid-state storage (also known as SSDs), and deliver an improved audio experience.

The new console will be powered by AMD's latest Ryzen processing and Radeon Navi graphics chips. In addition to 8K graphics, the Radeon GPU will also give the new PlayStation the ability to support ray tracing for more realistic light and shadows, which will result in much more accurate imagery in games.

AMD chips currently power the PlayStation 4. Sony also revealed that the PlayStation 5 will be backward compatible with PS4 games.

Cerny told the magazine that the current PlayStation VR virtual reality headset will work with the next system, which will also still accept physical media (though it is unclear if that will be Blu-ray discs like the PS3 and PS4 or something else).

The graphics, combined with support for 3D audio, should bring added realism and immersion to the presumed PlayStation 5 (Sony has yet to formally reveal a name for the next PlayStation, but it's largely expected to call it the PlayStation 5).

Change your ID: Sony now lets gamers change PSN usernames

Spring gaming: 'Mortal Kombat 11,' 'Final Fantasy XII' and more action video games of spring

In addition to the upgraded graphics power, the upcoming console's switch to SSD should provide immediate impact when it comes to loading and playing games.

In a demo done for the magazine, fast-traveling as Spider-Man in "Marvel's Spider-Man" for PlayStation 4 took 15 seconds on a PlayStation 4 Pro and just 0.8 seconds on an early "low-speed" development kit version of the next generation PlayStation.

We still don't know what the new system will look like, its price or when exactly it might be released.

While Wired notes it won't be "landing in stores anytime in 2019," the magazine does describe how Sony has been accelerating its distribution of development versions to game developers to help them ready their new games for the system.
-=-=-
lol I like how the writer jumps from supporting 8k screens to the units will drive 8k graphics. Not the same thing buddy.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 04:38 PM   #63
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

They need to stop with the 8k nonsense!
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 18, 2019, 09:06 PM   #64
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

8K is coming.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2019, 01:16 AM   #65
Ne0Griever
Radeon Arctic Islands

Ne0Griever once held a door open for a complete strangerNe0Griever once held a door open for a complete strangerNe0Griever once held a door open for a complete strangerNe0Griever once held a door open for a complete stranger

I remember of reports of a patent that would make backward compatibility from PS1-4 a thing. I really hope that's still the case.
Ne0Griever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2019, 03:26 AM   #66
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne0Griever View Post
I remember of reports of a patent that would make backward compatibility from PS1-4 a thing. I really hope that's still the case.
4 is pretty much also just a PC, so that should be fairly safe (same architecture, just faster hardware).
1 and 2 they can prob emulate fine, 3 is the only challenge I guess?

And there´s always Playstation Now for streaming older games, but that´s less ideal for a slew of genres, like rhythm games and faster paces action games.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:25 AM   #67
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
8K is coming.
Uh huh, sure it is! 8k 60fps ultra settings is here!
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2019, 01:43 PM   #68
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

They need buzzwords to sell. Id wager most people dont even have 4k displays yet.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2019, 04:40 PM   #69
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

8k/60 is only 32x the pixels of 1080p/30. PS5 will have that amount of power, right?

Actually though, modern graphic rendering is going to be very different than traditional. Checkerboard rendering, timewarp & spacewarp, foviated rendering, AI-based upsampling, etc., we may find that we can easily hit photo-realistic graphics at ultra-high resolutions without anywhere near the gpu power we would have expected.

Timewarp & spacewarp especially, have been developed specifically for the needs of VR, but I think are just as useful in any kind of fast-pace game. I would have loved to have them in the UT2003 days, to smooth out framerates.

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old Apr 19, 2019, 05:04 PM   #70
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

The little blip about 3D audio is kinda amusing. As if we haven't had it for decades. Although what I hope it means is that since they are using AMD hardware, it's about using GPU power to do more interesting 3D audio(like True Audio Next)

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2019, 09:51 PM   #71
aRandomRobot
Coffee Adict

aRandomRobot is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
The little blip about 3D audio is kinda amusing. As if we haven't had it for decades. Although what I hope it means is that since they are using AMD hardware, it's about using GPU power to do more interesting 3D audio(like True Audio Next)
The 3D audio is actually one of things that interest me the most about the PS5. There’s a hint that in addition to just making the environment sound more immersive (yeah, we’ve had this for years) there’s also idea of using it to track what NPCs can hear so that AI can better react to the player’s actions. At least, that’s what I hope they do with it. AI reaction to sound is honestly still seems pretty terrible so I welcome any improvement (especially if it ports over to PCs at some point)
aRandomRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2019, 02:51 AM   #72
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Sounded a bit like using raytracing/path tracing for the sound, to calculate the travel, bounces and possibly what material every bounce had and use that as basis for processing it.
I imagine it would require vastly fewer rays to do sound then graphics.
Like an noise outside of a house you´re in, might be to the left of you in the world, but properly traced you might hear it from the open door to the right of you.

Similar to VRworks audio probably:
https://developer.nvidia.com/vrworks/vrworks-audio
Old Apr 20, 2019, 01:24 PM   #73
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Honestly 3d sound doesn't really excite me unless we're talking about VR.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old Apr 20, 2019, 01:46 PM   #74
jolle
Hipster Dufus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
Honestly 3d sound doesn't really excite me unless we're talking about VR.
Think you can still get very good mileage out of it with a stereo setup tbh.
It can still theoretically impact how the sound you hear gets shaped by the geometry and possibly materials aswell if you trace it from the source.

I've never been big in game audio outside of accurate positioning in MP games.
But the hard rain level in l4d2 really stuck in my memory, how the rain sounds banging on the roof when indoor to how it changes when you get out in it.
Now that was all smoke and mirrors and scripted, but I guess that's something you could get by tracing and shaping. Possibly.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:49 PM   #75
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

I love 3D audio and it's a shame it's taken 20yrs to get back to what A3D did. It has massive benefits even with speakers. The level of immersion 3D audio adds when it's well done is stunning. I really hope it pans out, as I miss good 3D audio allot

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2019, 06:14 PM   #76
aRandomRobot
Coffee Adict

aRandomRobot is still being judged by the masses

Some video showing load time and asset streaming with the new SSD. I’m still not sure home they’re going to make this thing affordable. Is flash really getting cheap enough? Or are we going to get 256gig storage for the base model?
aRandomRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2019, 02:35 AM   #77
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwards

Is it 8k or 5g?

Quote:
I cannot but conclude that the Bulk of your Natives, to be the most pernicious Race of little odious Vermin that Nature ever suffered to crawl upon the Surface of the Earth.
Dungeoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2019, 03:55 AM   #78
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

MS should wait this time and offer a stronger system. But I mean they need killer games to go along with it, so it's not just one thing.

PS5 with back compat would be nice. SOme people thought PS4/Xbone would be the last console gen before it basically just slowly rolled upgrades.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2019, 01:19 PM   #79
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

I've been hearing some chatter that PS5 may support backwards compatibility of all previous playstation systems, through their original disks. I'm very interested to see if that turns out to be true.

At this point, I think all games should be built with future-console optimization in mind. Build in flags to allow later consoles to pass in performance parameters for resolution, lod levels, etc. Then when later consoles hit, Sony & MS can have a team that spends all their time testing an optimizing those parameters so we can get the best out of every game every generation.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old May 23, 2019, 02:17 PM   #80
Progression
Radeon Arctic Islands

Progression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Pretty sure they've already confirmed backwards compatibility, at LEAST with PS4 games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
If you must listen to country [music], play it backwards. You get your woman back, the dog comes back to life, Momma pops out from under the train, and it stops raining. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bete View Post
I'd bet it would be fun to do him up the ass.
Progression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2019, 01:54 PM   #81
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Intel Core i7-3930K | Corsair Hydro Series H100 with 2 x Scythe GentleTyphoon 1850 rpm fans | GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD | Crucial m4 256 GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | Pioneer BDR-206DBK | Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 | Corsair Obsidian Series 650D | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S | Microsoft SideWinder X4 | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | SteelSeries QcK mini | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2019, 12:50 PM   #82
Glyrion
'Nuff said

Glyrion is still being judged by the masses

They probably mean that it will upscale to 8k...just like everything else but it's their buzz word.
Glyrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2019, 02:09 PM   #83
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyrion View Post
They probably mean that it will upscale to 8k...just like everything else but it's their buzz word.
I heard it will render games natively at 64k! And it will have 7 hdmi slots!

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old May 28, 2019, 10:37 AM   #84
Athena
Radeon Sea Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

It had dedicated chips just for bounce physics but they had to disable them so not one gets triggered any more.