Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Aug 5, 2020, 09:33 PM   #181
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

I dont think we will see mid range from either side this year in terms of actual launch. We may get a 3070 level card this year but I even doubt that to be honest. I think we are looking at 3080 + cards only same with AMD

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2020, 09:41 PM   #182
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalfthewhite View Post
I dont think we will see mid range from either side this year in terms of actual launch. We may get a 3070 level card this year but I even doubt that to be honest. I think we are looking at 3080 + cards only same with AMD
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-...0-in-november/

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2020, 11:36 PM   #183
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Quote:
NVIDIA RTX 3080 Ti
NVIDIA RTX 3080
NVIDIA RTX 3070
NVIDIA RTX 3060
the power or Samsung

mid range cards with high end wattage
and maybe prices
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 6, 2020, 01:30 AM   #184
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
AMD's next-gen RDNA 3: revolutionary chiplet design could crush NVIDIA
Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/74274...dia/index.html
Old Aug 6, 2020, 05:44 AM   #185
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I am wondering if I should wait till both are released or just go ahead and grab the 3080 Ti on release.

I am a Gsync junkie so it is important for me. However there is no game coming out that interests me enough to not wait.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2020, 09:02 AM   #186
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post

Or the 4000 series will crush the RDNA3 because Nvidia have shown historically they can regardless of how "revolutionary" AMD was (HBM2, etc..)

See. Bad News goes both ways, Billy.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2020, 11:55 AM   #187
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Or the 4000 series will crush the RDNA3 because Nvidia have shown historically they can regardless of how "revolutionary" AMD was (HBM2, etc..)

See. Bad News goes both ways, Billy.

well when it comes to MCM and chiplets i would think AMD will have a huge advantage because of Ryzen

Quote:
AMD Navi 21 ‘Big Navi’ GPU Rumored To Be Featured In 16 GB & 12 GB Radeon RX Gaming Graphics Cards
Quote:
Based on the leaked PCI ID for the specific Navi 21 GPU SKUs, we can say that the Navi 21 XTX and Navi 21 XT would come with 16 GB VRAM capacities and a 512-bit bus interface. The XTX variant is essentially a higher-binned variant and there's the possibility that we could see the XTX GPU being water-cooled and the XT variant being air-cooled. That will give users some cooling options as the non-reference (AIB) variants aren't expected later in late December or even Q1 2021.

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-b...s-cards-rumor/

Last edited by bill dennison : Aug 6, 2020 at 12:16 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 12:42 PM   #188
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:

well when it comes to MCM and chiplets i would think AMD will have a huge advantage because of Ryzen

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-b...s-cards-rumor/
So Billy, gimme a price prediction on that watercooled monster card from AMD. $1,200? More?

yoz
Old Aug 6, 2020, 12:46 PM   #189
AllexxisF1
Owie.

AllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English Channel

I doubt they will go with water cooling, but I do hope they spend some considerable effort with the stock cooler.
AllexxisF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2020, 12:47 PM   #190
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
So Billy, gimme a price prediction on that watercooled monster card from AMD. $1,200? More?
depends on speed like always

if it is 50% faster than a 2080 ti then yes 999 Air 1199 Water both 16gb then i could see it in this post RTX market

and would buy the water one in a heartbeat
Old Aug 6, 2020, 02:49 PM   #191
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

If they have to resort to water cooling then that suggests they aren't confident in competing that well.

They had to offer a water cooled Vega 64 just to make some kind of presence in the high end, and even then it wasn't enough.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2020, 04:01 PM   #192
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
If they have to resort to water cooling then that suggests they aren't confident in competing that well.

They had to offer a water cooled Vega 64 just to make some kind of presence in the high end, and even then it wasn't enough.

no one said they did just that they may have that option

and you better watch out to see what that 400+ watt 3080 ti monster need first before walking out on that limb
maybe it can sideline as a air popper also

i like water and would hope for a full water block option or one that could be converted to run in a full water loop
and not have to wait 2 months for aftermarket

and my Fury x were the best reference cards i have had in years NV or AMD
Old Aug 6, 2020, 04:14 PM   #193
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I can't wait for official info.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 04:21 PM   #194
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird sings

Talk of RDNA2 water cool reference card + big memory + RDNA3 hype so soon makes me worry that AMD is going to fumble again this round.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 04:47 PM   #195
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGRUNT View Post
Talk of RDNA2 water cool reference card + big memory + RDNA3 hype so soon makes me worry that AMD is going to fumble again this round.
Well it's just people speculating with no real info, so I wouldn't let it affect your opinion either way.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2020, 08:13 PM   #196
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:

Yeh that's how I see it too. If they need to water cool their card, that means it's pushed to its limits out of the box. Forget about nice OC's.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 09:04 PM   #197
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Yeh that's how I see it too. If they need to water cool their card, that means it's pushed to its limits out of the box. Forget about nice OC's.
Just like the Ryzen CPUs give you all they got out of the box.

yoz
Old Aug 6, 2020, 09:05 PM   #198
AllexxisF1
Owie.

AllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English Channel

Purely on a marketing perspective, when I see watercooler, I think overly inefficient, hot, and cheating to win.
AllexxisF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2020, 10:45 PM   #199
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Just like the Ryzen CPUs give you all they got out of the box.
few OC anymore anyway

and Ryzen even is better without a OC

and NV started boost clocks and they have been getting closer and closer to the max for both NV and AMD every gen
Old Aug 6, 2020, 10:48 PM   #200
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllexxisF1 View Post
Purely on a marketing perspective, when I see watercooler, I think overly inefficient, hot, and cheating to win.

and i see cool and quiet

and doesn't mean it is required
Old Aug 6, 2020, 10:59 PM   #201
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
few OC anymore anyway

and Ryzen even is better without a OC

and NV started boost clocks and they have been getting closer and closer to the max for both NV and AMD every gen
Where did you come up with that statement that few OC anyways?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2020, 07:44 AM   #202
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Where did you come up with that statement that few OC anyways?
Ryzen chips are better left to auto clocks. Manual OC rarely yields any significant gain.

yoz
Old Aug 7, 2020, 08:59 AM   #203
Nagorak

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

From what I saw of my 2080 Ti, you also don't really gain much performance by overclocking 2000 series either. Maybe 5-10% at best, at like 30% higher power consumption. AMD and Nvidia have basically caught on and are now optimizing their products to not leave much, if any, extra performance on the table.

My prediction is next gen has next to no overclocking potential regardless of the chip manufacturer.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 09:00 AM   #204
bittermann
I didn't do it

bittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I think a lot of Ryzen owners just try and crank up the memory speeds as much as they can...it loves faster memory.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 09:13 AM   #205
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittermann View Post
I think a lot of Ryzen owners just try and crank up the memory speeds as much as they can...it loves faster memory.
This.

yoz
Old Aug 7, 2020, 12:07 PM   #206
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittermann View Post
Yeah that was my thinking when I built my system. Decided to just go for 3600MHz memory instead of 3200MHz and not worry about OC'ing the CPU.

Also, I didn't try messing with OC'ing much at all, but from what I did play with I found increasing vcore to my 3700X would actually lose performance (Cinebench score went down) so not sure it would be worth trying. Mine is boosting close to 4.4GHz out of the box anyways so figured don't mess with it.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2020, 07:28 PM   #207
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
From what I saw of my 2080 Ti, you also don't really gain much performance by overclocking 2000 series either. Maybe 5-10% at best, at like 30% higher power consumption. AMD and Nvidia have basically caught on and are now optimizing their products to not leave much, if any, extra performance on the table.

My prediction is next gen has next to no overclocking potential regardless of the chip manufacturer.

In regards to Nvidia - They have definitely caught on, but not in the way you describe. They caught on by severely limiting the cards max power throughput. I'm pretty sure if the 2080Ti was given a 500 watt max power - it'd boost to 2.3 to 2.4GHz.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2020, 09:28 PM   #208
Nagorak

Even if they allowed that, and the boost clocks were what you say, I don't know that I'd consider almost doubling power consumption to gain ~10% performance to be a "good overclock". To me that's more reflective of a product that's already shipped at the very edge of its efficiency sweet spot, with not a whole lot left on the table.

There's also the question of how well the chip would hold up being fed 500w? The limit may not be Nvidia being mean, so much as to prevent people from doing something stupid. There are certainly plenty of people who have managed to burn out their CPU by feeding it a ridiculous amount of voltage, so it's a legitimate consideration.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 11:39 AM   #209
the_sextein
Radeon Northern Islands

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

Gamers Nexus says the 3000 series is going to launch on September 9th. They say they were told directly by board manufacturers.
the_sextein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2020, 01:00 PM   #210
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands