Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Aug 4, 2020, 05:13 PM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIrPauly View Post
Really curious on what kind of dedicated Dxr hardware there is with Rdna2 and consoles? I think the key on how powerful it may or may not be is how active Amd is working with developers to improve Pc and Radeon experiences. On consoles: it may be how many Dxr optimizations and trade-offs the title offers.
i think the rumors about AMD using the pcie 4.0 bus and CPU cores for some of it maybe true
and why not push unused cores as cores are getting faster & cheaper with every Ryzen generation
and the new consoles are 8 core 16 thread
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2020, 11:43 PM   #152
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Napoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete stranger

Dxr this and Dxr that, you people are looking at the wrong tech, the actually boundary pushing tech from console land would come from Sony.

Therefore it's unknown and impossible to speculate on what effect it would have on other platforms.

What API and Ray Tracing API does ps5 even use?
Old Aug 5, 2020, 08:01 AM   #153
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

The type of RayTracing that the Radeon and consoles may be geared for is Inline RayTracing.

https://youtu.be/eOz9OuS0JbQ
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 5, 2020, 09:56 AM   #154
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
The type of RayTracing that the Radeon and consoles may be geared for is Inline RayTracing.

https://youtu.be/eOz9OuS0JbQ
Most of that video went over my head. What I got out of it(likely I'm misunderstanding) is big Navi may not have fixed function dedicated RayTracing hardware. To do RayTracing, it will use programmable CUs. That is why it is rumored to have so many CUs. If true, with RT off, it could be stupid fast(3080ti fast) but with RT on it might be like a 2080ti.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 11:11 AM   #155
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

To be honest, I'd give up some dedicated RT performance if it unlocked additional general performance. Maybe down the line that wouldn't be a positive trade-off, but right now I think it would be.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2020, 11:43 AM   #156
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
To be honest, I'd give up some dedicated RT performance if it unlocked additional general performance. Maybe down the line that wouldn't be a positive trade-off, but right now I think it would be.
RT effects are very cool, some game use them better than others. More RT performance, especially with Cyberpunk coming up, would be very nice indeed.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2020, 12:14 PM   #157
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGRUNT View Post
Most of that video went over my head. What I got out of it(likely I'm misunderstanding) is big Navi may not have fixed function dedicated RayTracing hardware. To do RayTracing, it will use programmable CUs. That is why it is rumored to have so many CUs. If true, with RT off, it could be stupid fast(3080ti fast) but with RT on it might be like a 2080ti.
don't know and we won't till November and big Navi, PS5 & xbox series x come out

AMD is being very tight lipped about everything
Old Aug 5, 2020, 12:15 PM   #158
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
don't know and we won't till November and big Navi, PS5 & xbox series x come out

I'm sure drivers and final clocks are still being tweaked.

yoz
Old Aug 5, 2020, 12:15 PM   #159
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:

J two cents seems to think big Navi will be sooner(paper) than November.
11:32
Old Aug 5, 2020, 12:23 PM   #160
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Here is Amd discussing Inline RayTracing:

https://youtu.be/sW0g0lqsqKAs
Old Aug 5, 2020, 12:43 PM   #161
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
we have no real info but here we go

it would have to be 350% faster than a 5700 xt to be 50% over a 2080 ti

the 5700 xt is very close to a 2080 non ti and the 2080 ti is only about 30% faster than the 2080

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_page...review,16.html

Quote:
Assuming that no other limitations come into play, a 100% increase in CU count and a 15+% increase in GPU clock speeds should allow AMD's RDNA 2 flagship to deliver a 130+% boost in performance over today's RX 5700 XT.
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu...s_rx_5700_xt/1

Last edited by bill dennison : Aug 5, 2020 at 12:57 PM.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 01:15 PM   #162
Nagorak

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
RT effects are very cool, some game use them better than others. More RT performance, especially with Cyberpunk coming up, would be very nice indeed.
I guess I'm hoping Navi 2X still has somewhat better RT performance than the 2000 series, even if it's slower than the 3000 series. But, I'm almost certainly going Nvidia anyway, as I have a g-sync monitor, and more importantly I don't think I can tolerate waiting until November to replace my 2080 Ti. If AMD were launching first I'd consider forgoing adaptive sync for one gen, but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 01:41 PM   #163
AllexxisF1
Owie.

AllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
I saw this yesterday on the couch and almost threw my hard seltzer at the TV.

It doesn't need 350% Jay.

He's really slipping this year in his content. It's like seriously Dude, put some more effort into research before you turn on the camera.

I like the guy, but I don't go for him any sort of info, just to see him be goofy.
AllexxisF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2020, 01:47 PM   #164
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

He makes some impressive builds, but much like Linustechtips, they are terrible sources of information.

The only guy I trust to give me unbiased stone cold facts is Steve from GN.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2020, 02:03 PM   #165
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I guess I'm hoping Navi 2X still has somewhat better RT performance than the 2000 series, even if it's slower than the 3000 series. But, I'm almost certainly going Nvidia anyway, as I have a g-sync monitor, and more importantly I don't think I can tolerate waiting until November to replace my 2080 Ti. If AMD were launching first I'd consider forgoing adaptive sync for one gen, but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen.
Same boat with G-Sync.... can't afford a new GPU and monitor at same time to go AMD.

I don't have Billy Bucks, know what I mean?

yoz
Old Aug 5, 2020, 02:19 PM   #166
AllexxisF1
Owie.

AllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
He makes some impressive builds, but much like Linustechtips, they are terrible sources of information.

The only guy I trust to give me unbiased stone cold facts is Steve from GN.
Tech Jesus is my go-to as well.
AllexxisF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2020, 02:21 PM   #167
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Same boat with G-Sync.... can't afford a new GPU and monitor at same time to go AMD.

I don't have Billy Bucks, know what I mean?

some of us were smart enough too wait and buy a screen that will do both G-Sync & Freesync

and don't care as much about Sync & Freesync now as I like OLED
Old Aug 5, 2020, 02:22 PM   #168
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:

some of us were smart enough too wait and buy a screen that will do both G-Sync & Freesync

and don't care as much about Sync & Freesync now as I like OLED
We can't all be as wise as you, Billy.

yoz
Old Aug 5, 2020, 02:26 PM   #169
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
We can't all be as wise as you, Billy.
it sad but i know ........

even when i tell you guys for 2 plus years that NV would give in on G-Sync and do freesync in the end

Old Aug 5, 2020, 02:28 PM   #170
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
it sad but i know ........

even when i tell you guys for 2 plus years that NV would give in on G-Sync and do freesync in the end

Well shite man, 2 years is a long time to wait.

yoz
Old Aug 5, 2020, 02:58 PM   #171
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Well shite man, 2 years is a long time to wait.

but 4k OLED was worth the wait

but i had a 4k 40 inch non G-Sync or freesync

so I waited for everything G-Sync and freesync HDMI 2.1 and OLED and 55 inch

and i just refused to get locked in by NV
Old Aug 5, 2020, 05:58 PM   #172
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Here is Amd discussing Inline RayTracing:

https://youtu.be/sW0g0lqsqKAs
Quote:
Patents Demo Ray-Tracing on AMD Navi 2x (RDNA 2) GPUs Using Dedicated Hardware
Quote:
If you don’t have the stomach for all the technical details, let me simplify it for you. In short, it seems that Navi 2x will indeed feature dedicated hardware for ray-tracing. These seem to be paired with each SIMD (two per Compute Unit), very similar to how NVIDIA includes one RTCore per SM.
https://www.hardwaretimes.com/patent...ated-hardware/
Old Aug 5, 2020, 06:15 PM   #173
acroig
Master Troll

Guru3D reports Ampere launch is 9/17.

yoz
Old Aug 5, 2020, 06:33 PM   #174
NIGELG
Fire of Unknown Origin

NIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyNIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
navi 2x will have DXR and very likely some type of DLSS
so depends on how much faster than a 2080 ti it really is without any DLSS on both

15% = 749

25% = 849

35% = 899

45% to 50% or more 999

now if it is the full 80 CU's and 50% more performance per watt ( like AMD says ) than a 225 watt TDP navi 5700 xt

and say a 350+ watt TDP card
it could be well over 2x faster maybe 2.5x faster than a 5700 xt

we could see up to 1199 air to 1299 water cooled
I would like to see what prices midrange cards will go for in this new generation. I am only willing to spend 300 bucks for graphics these days.

In other words what will I get for 300 bucks?
Old Aug 5, 2020, 07:19 PM   #175
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Not a lot.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 08:02 PM   #176
NIGELG
Fire of Unknown Origin

NIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyNIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
Not a lot.
I game at 1080p.

Maybe I don't belong on elitist threads.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 08:06 PM   #177
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIGELG View Post
I game at 1080p.

The question is will you be wanting RTX effects because even at 1080p a 2060 RTX will have problems maintaining 60 FPS on max.

That goes for about $320 today so I assume the 3060 will go for around that price?

yoz
Old Aug 5, 2020, 08:57 PM   #178
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIGELG View Post
I game at 1080p.

Of course you belong here.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 09:17 PM   #179
Nagorak

I think we just have to wait and see. There may be a substantial increase in RTX performance this gen that makes the 3060 a viable card for ray tracing. There has been some buzz about there not being a performance penalty for ray tracing. But until the cards come out there's no much point speculating.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 09:17 PM   #180
NIGELG
Fire of Unknown Origin

Quote:
Of course you belong here.
When I upgrade the monitor to 4k then I'll have to think bigger in terms of graphics card/processor/motherboard costs.

I still find it difficult to buy any super pricy cards or hardware not because I can't afford it but because the time spent gaming is much less than it used to be. These days the time spent on gaming is between 30 minutes to 60 minutes per day.